Jack Richards & Son Ltd
Happiness score is 70 out of 100

Jack Richards & Son Ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom83 reviews

Fair Days Work For Fair Days Pay

Positive can do approach to work and overall great company to be associated with and proud to work for. General haulage work with high standard of trailers and units.

Pros

Pay, Units, Understanding and Fair

Cons

Long Hours but that's part of being a professional LGV 1 driver

I really enjoy my work

Having worked at Jack Richards for a few years we can safely say that I do enjoy working here. The team at Northwich and across the UK are second to none, drivers, office, planners, managers, everyone, it is a real team effort which is what Jack Richards is all about. Everyone supports each other on both a work and personal level. Some long hours some days but hey its transport, this is what we do.

Pros

The people

Insights into Jack Richards & Son Ltd

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Friendly & Competent colleagues, however salary level and work life balance amiss

There are plenty of extremely competent and knowledgeable people that have been through company, however as they are paid below average salary for their positions they don't always hang around long, and those that do, can be quite negative.They let good people go cheaply and don't replace them, so short staffing is a problem. Management too concerned about the bottom line despite the high profit generated by the business.Expect to be bothered outside of work hours and at weekends on a regular basis, general staff at Fakenham don't seem to be empowered to make decisions for themselves.Good place to start and learn your trade, but be ready to move on when your skill set improves to a level that bigger companies will find attractive.

Pros

Easy to work for, little too no head office interaction or micro managing, some departments within headoffice are very good and supportive

Cons

Low salary and work life balance, no development within the company

Good place to work unfortunately underpaid compared to rest of the market

Everything except wage was ok new track quite friendly staff in transport office basically general houlage Staff.If wages could improve could be best place to work for.

Decent workplace

Overall a good company to work for. Some interesting planning activities go on but none the less it’s a good company. Drivers are good people, office staff are good. Good job

Pros

Shift

Cons

Lots of scanning

Productive & happy work environment

Great work home life balance.Competitive Salary.Great Team work with all team members showing a can do attitude.Good interaction with the Customer on site.Management approachable & keen to give updates.Overall a great Company to work for.

Pros

Competitive Salary & working hours

Cons

No cons

Great Company to work for !!! 5*

I worked for Jack Richards for 3 years and its hands down the best company I have worked for. Everyone is helpful, friendly, and supportive the office has a real family feel about it. I have never had any issues BUT I know if I did I could go to my manager and it would be sorted.

Pros

Can work from home if needed, overtime hours if wanted & a happy office environment.

Cons

Sometimes the office gets cold.

Brilliant company to work for overall

Having worked at JR for 10 years I can say that this is a truly brilliant company to work for- the Management are brilliant and always do what they can to help. Could the pay be more- yes, but in an industry where margins are minimal it is understandable. Overall there is no where I would rather work.

Best job I ever had

Fantastic company to work for.I have more than 20 years of driving and for me they are " one of the best ".I have a fixed start time , and a fixed week .If they need , they offer me overtime , BUT I'm not obligated to do it.Sometimes long hours ( always respecting working time directive ) , but they ask in the morning if you could do a " long day " or a " short day "... That means , if you can work 11/12 hours or , max your day to13/15 .Sometimes I found the job it's pretty demanding ( strapping the load, or go to very narrow place ) but the majority of the time it's an easy " general haulage "job.Pay : there's company pay more, there's company pay less ( more money, especially since the minimum wage went up , would be great ).If you want to do just trunking job, I'm sorry it's not for you...If you want to have fixed route , I'm sorry it's not for you.If you want to earn 1 k a week , I'm sorry it's not the case.Overall it's a very nice and professional company.

Pros

New truck. Bonus, driver trainer

Cons

Sometimes Long hours, hourly pay could be better

It was okay

I mean it was okay. The wages are good and you get onsite parking. Long hours and a ‘unique’ managment style means staff are often left in the dark.

Pros

Good wage. Free uniform. Comfortable uniform. Fairly new trucks.

Cons

Long hours. Managment

Promise the world give you nothing

They promised me work life balance…. They sent me over my hours they didn’t care expected you to work every other Saturday… what capped it for me was I had an hospital appointment that they knew about and I missed it because the work was more important… I got back to the yard and said I’m DONE never looked back.

Pros

Can’t think of any

Cons

The pay was bad Chasing money Long hours Don’t care about you and your life as in getting home.

Good firm

Like all places, they suit some and not others. I work 4/4 tramping which is great for me. I don’t give them any grief and they don’t give me any grief. Plenty of variety on my shift. Nice office people. Money is lower than some I’ve been offered but I am at ease working for JR and that counts for a lot. Dafs are… well they’re bloody dafs. Good fridge and microwave though which makes life a bit more comfortable. I got no plans to move on at the moment.

Pros

No grief… polite, friendly and helpful office staff

Cons

I’ve earned more

Save yourself the waste of time

Very slow pace very poor organisation phone calls take an hour to answer everytime, never get you home on time on your sixth card, emails and calls to one person to be passed to another then back to them then you, its a joke, west auckland run by two kids with O experience between them, honestly dont bother.

Pros

New trucks

Cons

Cintact calls emails etc

Nice staff but long unpaid hours

When I was there we were paid a 10 hour day rate but regularly worked over 10 hours so worked for free Staff were really nice but couldn't continue working for free

Pros

Nice staff and management

Cons

Long unpaid hours

A relaxed environment

Upto now haven't had any problems so far , sometimes takes a while for the DC's to answer the phone,but there's not just me driving for them,,some tight places to get in and out of delivering,,but overall for a big company pretty relaxed ,no one constantly chasing you and pushing you on , vehicles are well up to date and well maintained

Pros

Decent money for a decent days graft

Cons

Don't get paid breaks

Flexible and relaxed

Since working for this company for a few months I can honestly say I am overall very happy with how my experience has been so far. As a 4 on/4 off tramper the work is both varied and interesting whilst at the same time allowing plenty of time off for me to go do my hobbies. Hope things stay as they are as I have no reason to leave currently.

Pros

Very flexible, polite staff, varied work, no hassle.

Good firm

Pros

No grief… polite, friendly and helpful office staff

Cons

I’ve earned more

Friendly and supportive

First job HGV driving and found Richards supportive and helpful. Work all delivered through tablet which, some days you don't need to speak to anyone although it can be hard to get through to the office.Some days timing are tight but if there's any issues office don't pressure you as long as you keep them up to date. Equipment well maintained and trucks clean and tidy.Seem to be cutting back on night and weekend work which I was looking to do so left as I found a more local job otherwise I would have stayed on.

Pros

Tax free night out and meal allowances

Cons

Hourly pay needs to be better to keep drivers

too many chiefs

job itself is slow paced rdc work among others, early starts long days but the contact system is ridiculous phone calls that take 30 mins to answer or emails if you get a tablet which you wont. messages passed from one oerson to another then back to you with an answer. trying to get home after 6 on is usually a nightmare from the south of the uk.. company has grown too big to offer personal service to drivers., hence they cant get or keep experienced trampers anywhere in the uk., way too many office staff non experienced.

Pros

time off, new trucks decent trailers.

Cons

phone cals emails and waiting

Very good place to work first class transport manager

Very good vehicles and trailers , experienced staff helpful to new starters.The transport manager is helpful and supportive with an open door policy.Good around company.

Family orientated fun work place

I've loved my time at Jack Richards so far. I've been made to feel very welcome and the training that has been provided has been first class. Nothing is ever too much trouble and you are always made to feel valued. Everyone is so friendly and the company has a really solid family friendly ethos.

Pros

Friendly workplace, pay is good, varied job role

Cons

n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Richards & Son Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Jack Richards & Son Ltd with

Learn about Jack Richards & Son Ltd in popular locations

• Jack Richards & Son Ltd
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?