Jack Richards & Son Ltd

Jack Richards & Son Ltd Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

Nice staff but long unpaid hours

When I was there we were paid a 10 hour day rate but regularly worked over 10 hours so worked for free Staff were really nice but couldn't continue working for free

Pros

Nice staff and management

Cons

Long unpaid hours

A relaxed environment

Upto now haven't had any problems so far , sometimes takes a while for the DC's to answer the phone,but there's not just me driving for them,,some tight places to get in and out of delivering,,but overall for a big company pretty relaxed ,no one constantly chasing you and pushing you on , vehicles are well up to date and well maintained

Pros

Decent money for a decent days graft

Cons

Don't get paid breaks

satisfied

Good management vary friendly staff but like to cheat with money every month there is a shortage. tramper receives less money than day or night drivers, but we do the same job

Pros

friendly staff

Cons

Money

I like this job

I’ve been at Jack Richards a year. And I love the job I do a 4 on 4 off rota. and I know exactly what day I’m working. Good trucks. Good traffic office. I do the work and I get paid. Plenty of contracts so I can turn up anywhere all over the uk. It’s not easy. General haulage isn’t. But I love this company

Pros

Veh standards. All the same. Good up to date units

Cons

Tablet issues

HGV driver/tramping/ 4 on 4 off

Overall my experience in my first six months with Jack Richards has been a positive one I think they are very organized and have a good support network. The hardest part of the job for me is the long hours but there no more than any other driving job and some weeks are better than others again very normal. The trucks are comfortable and have everything you need whilst you are away.

Pros

Good trucks/organized/good support

15 December 2020
We're pleased to hear you are enjoying your time with us. It's been a long and difficult year, but we are pleased we've been able to keep our drivers safe, busy and out on the roads. Stay safe!

Only if you have to

The people are nice enough but the pay is way way below average. Agency driving is the only way forward for good drivers now who want a real life wage.

Pros

Not really any

Cons

Pay is poor to say the least

It was ok

Job was good. Pay was poor. Vehicles and trailers were good. Management were very inexperienced in my view. Job could have been a lot better. Treat well, but pay let it down.

Best job since leaving the Military

A lovely run company who are flexible and understanding to each person's needs. Work/life balance is perfect for those with families. The job can be demanding but you see out positive out comes. Management are good and involved with all members of staff. Colleagues are a pleasure to work with to. All in all it feels the same way of what it did when I was in the RAF.

Pros

Good benefits, salary is competitive, work/life balance

4 March 2020
Thank you for leaving a review, we're pleased to see that you have had a positive experience with us.

Great company

I’ve been working with Jack for over an year now, night driver, and I must say it’s one of the best jobs I had. The pay is decent, especially when you take into account how easy the runs are, and the planners do their best to accommodate your needs. Overall a great company to work for. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a good job.

Pros

10£ meal allowance

17 July 2019
Wow! What a great review, thank you for leaving this! We are so thrilled to here that you are enjoying your time with us at Jack Richards. We do take such pride in ensuring our teams are happy.

Ok if you need a job

Training and progression opportunities available if you want them. However quite a negative company to work for, little recognition for achievement or hard work, line managers not got much good to say about staff. Managers themselves quite unprofessional at times and didn't set a good example for staff. The job itself could be stressful but that's the transport industry. Working between 10-12 hours a day, pay was salaried which based on the hours worked out at minimum wage. Of course there are some nice people working there which made it more enjoyable. A good place to start out if you need some work experience, as they seem to take on school/college leavers and provide some basic training to get you started. But doesn't feel that you are at all valued as an employee.

Pros

stable job

Cons

long hours, poor pay, variable atmosphere

7 May 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review our company. You couldn't be more right when you say our people make the day 'more enjoyable'. We agree! The transport industry is often incredibly busy and requires lots of team work to get the job done. However we understand that this industry isn't for everyone and encourage all of our staff to talk to their manager about any concerns they may have. All of our company positions are advertised internally first giving our team continuous growth opportunities. Jack Richards also, carry out reviews where we sit down and discuss your goals and how we are able to help you achieve these. The team at Jack Richards wish you all the best with your future plans, if you'd like to discuss anything further please feel free to contact us!

Nice company

I enjoyed my time here. The company is friendly and staff are hard working. Like all places staff aren’t rewarded with things that actually matter like salary or work life balance. But I guess that comes with the job.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Long hours, mixed managers, open office

3 April 2019
Thank you for leaving us a review. We are pleased to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. Yes, we are a very hard working company but also very lucky to have such great staff around us. We wish you all the best on your next venture.

Excellent company with great opportunities to progress if desired

Large, well established business. Management are all approachable and understanding. Salary comes in line with the average in the area. I have found the company to be accommodating and flexible with hours of work etc.

3 April 2019
Thank you for leaving a review. We are so pleased to see that you are enjoying your time with us at Jack Richards and Son. If we can be of any additional assistance, please let us know!

Great place to work.

A good company to work for nice friendly staff and mangers alike. The training i recived was secconed to none. Planners are great and do a very good job.

Pros

£10.00 food allowance for shift.

28 March 2019
That's wonderful news, I'm thrilled to see you are enjoying your role here with us at Jack Richards and Son. I will pass this feedback over to Planning. As you can imagine they have a very fast paced role and feedback shows the hard work is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

good place to work

i work for jack richards out of the smurfit kappa yard in norwich was a good job and your well treated by all there staff i only left to futher my experience in driving but soon missed all the guys at jack richards

Pros

fuel bonus meal allowance

Cons

long hours 3-15 hour days and 2-13 hour days plus every other weekend

28 March 2019
We really appreciate that you took the time to leave us feedback. I'm glad your experience overall was positive and that you enjoyed working with us. We wish you luck on your new venture. All the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Richards & Son Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement

Compare Jack Richards & Son Ltd with

• Jack Richards & Son Ltd
  • Pay & benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?