James Hall & Co Ltd

James Hall & Co Ltd Employee Reviews

Having worked for them for 11 years I wouldn’t recommend. Everyone is out for themselves- no team spirit. No fair distribution of work between departments
23 June 2020
I am sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your 11 years working for the Company. As part of our leavers process we do offer employees the opportunity to complete a leavers questionnaire or exit interview. Please be assured that if you gave feedback through this process it will be investigated in order to help us make future improvements.
Very stressfull work with performance, driving trucks not health and safety, everybody Rush because performance. People is just the numbers. Managers do not appreciate that people work hard both on business days and at bank holidays aswell as on christmas time. If you are not a part of family, you are nobody.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Minimum pay
25 January 2021
Thank you for your review. We value all the feedback we receive regarding employment experiences at James Hall & Company Ltd. and will take onboard the comments you have raised about our performance enhanced bonus scheme. If you would like to contact us with any specific health and safety concerns you have encountered, please do so at personnel@jameshall.co.uk and these will be investigated.
Management definitely have favourites. Very clique. If your face doesn't fit you will be left for hours on the till whilst the rest of the staff stand in the back chatting. Breaks are terrible. Lucky if you get a last break. No one cares they just give you more and more to do if you complain and try make you leave. The food waste is scandalous. They would rather bin it to boost profits than give it to anyone. You would cry if you could see the amount of perfectly good food that goes in the bin every day.
Pros
Cons
Favouritism
7 December 2020
Thank you for your review of your employment experience at one of our convenience stores. We do provide paid and unpaid breaks dependant on the duration of the shift worked and our rota's are designed to ensure that staffing levels accommodate all breaks. All of the comments you have raised will be investigated.
A place where workplace politics rule. Plus the will have no problem firing you for no reason. If u work there for two years you can get away with murder. Some people can come in late and also leave early and leave you with hours of extra work
Pros
You get to go home
Cons
Long hours with 6 days work
26 November 2020
I am sorry to read that you have left the Company with a poor impression. As part of our leavers process we offer employees the opportunity to complete an exit interview, and negative feedback provided through this process is investigated in order for us to make improvements
I was at James Hall for 10 years, if you are thinking about working here I would highly advise against it. Staff are treated badly and if compulsory overtime is called then they treat you even worse! Only time your allowed time off is when it suites them and not you. Only way you can progress in the company is if your one of the managers favourites, supervisors and managers lie to you constantly. I asked time and time again to go on orders but I was told it wasn't possible because I was part time but other people working part time we're being trained on order's. When I went full time they refused to negotiate with me on hours told me I had to keep working Saturdays and I was told I could have Wednesdays off which I wasn't happy with but another employee at time who was working full time and working Saturdays was either coming in late every Saturday and Monday or not showing up at all but decided to reward him by changing his hours to work Monday - Friday instead. I once took a A4 piece of paper off the wall and was threatened to be sacked saying I damaged company property. The company did put on a decent Xmas party for staff each year and they did every employee Xmas hampers but not sure if they still do that but overall bad working experience
9 November 2020
Thank you for your comments, I am pleased to hear that you valued the Christmas hamper and party provided by the Company, both of which are still live benefits. Regarding the comments you have made about your management team and hours of work, if you would like to discuss these further please contact personnel@jameshall.co.uk. On receipt of further information we will investigate these matters to ensure any behaviour which has fallen short of what we would expect is rectified.
Do not work for James Hall! Especially Clayton Park Bakery! The management are only for themselves and don’t care about their staff. If your lucky enough to be friends with the management then you will be ok but if not I feel so sorry for you! A couple of things have happened over the years including a general manager from one of the sites spilling mince meat all over the m65- surprisingly nothing happened to do with that and the missing stock just disappeared! Meat is stored in the freezer for a long time then get brought back out to be used... so if they say it’s fresh it’s really not! The transport manager... well he doesn’t like to get his hands dirty and will ask anyone else to do his work even if they aren’t transport staff! Overall this place is going down hill a lot and at one time I might of told people to work here but now i will be telling them to avoid working here!!!!
Pros
A few decent staff
Cons
Too many
I worked for James Hall for 2 years and i genuinely feel like my life has gone backwards. Im just so miserable, a shell of a person. The people and company arent even human. Hate is a really strong word but id use it to describe how i feel about that place.
Pros
Tackling shop lifters
Cons
Being there
I have never in all my years working been in a worse job than this.If you were not a favourite then you were being watched and scrutinised constantly.Lazy staff get away with murder and the workers,were not appreciated at all.Back stabbing was rife,including the management and the area manager was heartless!
Pros
Absolute zero
6 August 2020
I am sorry that as a member of the management team you did not feel able to contact a more senior manager or a member of the HR department with your concerns. Please be assured that the comments you have raised will be investigated, however should you wish to provide us with some specific details, please contact personnel@jameshall.co.uk.
Jobs okay hard graft money there is if you want to earn it as targets hard to reach and the fact they have compulsory overtime and a lot of things are overlooked staff turnover is through the roof can’t handle the work load
Pros
Money overtime
Cons
No life
This was the worst place I’ve ever worked and I would strongly advise people against working here! They don’t care about you, treat and talk to you like dirt and think they can intimidate you! Really not good for your mental health too, the attitude on some of the top managers is disgusting too
23 June 2020
Thank you for your feedback and I apologise that your experience of working for our Company has not been a positive one. If you would like to contact our HR department (personnel@jameshall.co.uk) and discuss your feedback in more detail this would allow us the opportunity to explore any areas of employment where improvements can be made.
I have been working here as a temp since March 2020 and have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the team here. Both management and staff are extremely welcoming and respectful and it is a great team to be a part of. The shifts go really quick as you are always busy whether that is serving customers or stocking iup the shelves. The hours are good and the rotas are fair so that you are not stuck on same shifts every week.
Pros
Great management, friendly and helpful colleagues, good pay.
8 June 2020
Thank you for your comments and your contribution to food retailing during the Coronavirus Pandemic. I am pleased that you have experienced a positive start to your working time and hope you will continue to enjoy a long and successful career with our Company.
I started as a shop assistant last September. Despite me having never worked in a shop before all but one of the other assistants didn't help me and I felt as if I was commiting a crime by daring to ask them if I was stuck with lottery, scratch cards ect. One assistant in particular laughed about me to a customer. Highly unprofessional.
3 June 2020
Good afternoon,Thank you for taking the time to leave comments and please accept our apologies if our induction training programme has not been implemented effectively.If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail with a member of our HR department, please contact personnel@jameshall.co.uk. This would allow us to investigate further and take appropriate remedial action to ensure such experiences are not repeated.
Worked through all lock down, no offer of furlow no thanks from management for the terrible abuse we've taken from the public, no extra for risking our lives, didn't get masks until 18th May, protective screens don't even cover the counter we had gloves only. No extra for bank Holidays, no fare holiday scheme. All in all horrible company to work for. This company don't give a dam about the staff I have now left
3 June 2020
Thank you for your comments and honesty in relation to your employment with our Company.With regard to you not being offered Furlough Leave, the Government Job Retention Scheme (Furlough Leave) is intended for those businesses who have been unable to trade as a result of Covid-19. SPAR retail stores have experienced growth in our grocery sales since the start of this pandemic, which is why Furlough Leave would not be appropriate / applicable for your role.We appreciate what an essential service retail assistants globally have provided during this pandemic and at James Hall we have provided PPE in line with current government guidelines, an enhanced bonus scheme, enhanced store staff discount and a pay award, plus financial and well-being support through our Employee Assistance Programme.I am sorry our Company has not been able to provide the employment opportunities you would have liked and wish you every success with your future employment.
I worked at spar, northwich for 2 months in this time I had no uniform, given a name badge only when being inspected, I had 3 days off work through my 3 month old baby being on oxygen, this was the reason I got sacked because I wasn't flexible enough and because I had to work around my children which my manger knew on the interview. I had no idea I was being sacked of the morning I went to work and I didn't have s chance to argue my case . This is disgusting attitude for single working mothers trying hard to do their best.
6 April 2020
Firstly and most importantly, I hope your baby has recovered and is in good health.Secondly, I can confirm that all employees working for the Company have the opportunity to use family emergency leave in circumstances such as those which you have described.If we have failed to adopt this policy correctly, please contact us at personnel@jameshall.co.uk to allow us the opportunity to investigate this matter further with you.
I have worked for this company for 4 months & unfortunately due to the traveling distance from home I would be still employed there ! A fabulous well managed company with friendly staff who care and drivers who always go out of their way to be polite and helpful. The company deserves all the success it has, due to the very well run management departments who control all aspects of the business. Every delivery I was greeted with a smile off the customers and knowing everything would be perfect without drama. I was employed as a class 2 multi delivery driver. The vehicles are very well maintained and of high quality A joy for any hgv driver. If you are fortunate to be offered a role in J HALL COMPANY I wouldn't hesitate to take them up on it ! The transport staff put many companies to shame with their professionalism and attitude to all the drivers who work with them. Well done ! it was a pleasure.
24 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, your positive feedback will be shared with the relevant department & managers.
15h shifts are a standard, some shops with steep pavements, or tight backing up bays, always very busy. Management was ok for such a busy workplace. I would consider only for first job to get experience and money but, won't stay long.
10 February 2020
Thank you for your comments. We do monitor working time so ensure we remain within legislative guidelines, however the location of some of our community stores can make this a challenging role.
I don't want to waste more my time for this company to write this review! It would be just negatives and nothing else. But the biggest one is very poor management
Pros
No pros
Cons
Long hours, poor management, low wages compare to expectations
10 February 2020
I am sorry that you have not had positive work experience at James Hall & Company, had you reported your comments during your employment we could have worked with you to resolve your concerns.
Employees from another country cannot speak their own language in the workplace. This is where I was introduced to linguistic discrimination, which is basically the act of discriminating someone simply because of their language, accent, or dialect. Managers and directors have never reacted to problems at work. Profit is the most important thing for them. I would like to write something more, but it will take 20 pages with A4 pages
2 February 2020
We are sorry to read that you have not had a positive experience working for the company, please be assured that we take equality, diversity & inclusion very seriously and will look into the comments you have made.
Although these were the only people to give me a chance upon passing my test there’s a lot this company is failing there employees .. the salary for what you do isn’t great ... there’s no extensive training ... all the good runs are sucked up instead of evenly spread between ... constantly swapping between vehicles ... much to be fixed ...
28 January 2020
Thank you for your comments, which will be considered. I am pleased that you felt you were given an opportunity to start your driving career with our Company and am sorry this was not what you had expected.
Don’t no where too start with the store I worked at. There was some good work colleagues and customers, however management where bullies and had there favourites, even hire there own family, and work them up to supervisor positions. If you weren’t one of the favourites you where treat like garbage. In addition you where threatened with a disciplinary after any sort of mistake! James hall does not care about what goes on, just as long as they make there profit
14 January 2020
I am sorry to read that you have not enjoyed a positive experience working for the Company and will look into the comments you have raised. Please be assured that we take all feedback seriously, specifically in relation to employment.
I've worked for James Hall & co ltd for 23 years. I've progressed through the business from a part time weekend sales assistant whilst studying to a manager of a new build store. It is a great place to work, very rewarding, plenty of opportunities. I'm currently completing a level 5 apprenticeship, the training provider is brilliant. Plenty of support is given from senior management and it makes you feel valued.
14 January 2020
Thank you for your comments and sharing your fantastic career development with others.