JCA

Working at JCA: Latest JCA Reviews

United Kingdom25 reviews

Good workplace

The training was horrendous and it was not similar to what the job was like. Most of the time you had to ask for further support and follow through on that inquiry in order to receive the support. There were many people who took breaks instead of working and the team was separated in the different managers they had. I would not go back to work at this company.

Pros

Outdoors

Cons

Long hours, short staff, unhelpful management

Productive, Fun good management

Efficiently run with great staff and good team environment to work in. I enjoyed working there over 2 seasons with reliable work rotas and a great experience all round. :)

Insights into JCA

What people like
  • Energising work tasks
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility

Productive & Fun Workplace

Very supportive team.Fantastic atmosphere.Management are extremely knowledgeable, supportive & approachable.The site & location are fantastic.The workload is varied.

Pros

Great site, great colleagues & support network

Cons

None whatsoever

Back biters

I worked at JCA for for nearly a year and was dismissed through things they made up, I would not work for this company again. And think they're not capable of handling a big contract like what they have at the moment. Too much in house fighting among.anagers and certain staff members. Every one wants to be chief and non can lead a team.Not good people their work place is like a revolving door one in 2 out constant. Glad I have left getting on so much better now.

Pros

Money

Cons

Managers useless

fun and amazing place to work

a day at work would include setting up activities, taking children on the activities. management were very good and worked closely with everyone. everyone at work are all very friendly as we are all interested in the outdoors and we all work with children everyone is very kind. the hardest part of the job is living on site, it is very fun however sometimes can make it difficult to separate social life from work. the best part of the job is seeing the children's faces during the week, all the smiles and how they all look up to you.

Pros

3 meals a day

Cons

work starts at 8:20am and finishes at 8:30pm

fun

it was very competitive and fun and there were loads of people so it was very hectic but i enjoyed testing myself and my people skills as this helped me a lot

Long hours not paid

They will have you working every hour under the sun and not pay you for it. Your hours of work can massively change and so can your days off on such short notice

Was good

Enjoyed working for this company. Very valued member of staff. Liked the day to day running of the work and would like to do the same sort of job again

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Some staff

Avoid at all costs

This is quite possibly the worst employer in the industry. While only paid for 42 hours a week, you're made to work anywhere up to 70 hours. The training is substandard and during my time there many clients lives and wellbeing a have been put at risk, and a number of them actually injured, and that doesn't include staff injuries. You're made to work up to 10 days in a row with very little benefit. There's hardly any time to see friends and loved ones. During my time at this company, I had to report the kitchen to the health authority three times, and this still didn't fix the issues. Unless you want to become an alcoholic, there is nothing to do in your down time. Management don't care for you in the slightest. The risk this company puts you in is not worth it. Their arrogant disregard for safety and procedure puts the public and staff in danger, and they've very cleverly made sure that if anything were to happen to a member of the public, it would be the fault of an instructor and provide no protection for the staff. To sum this company up in one short yet honest sentence; working for this company made me consider suicide almost 3 times a week and I am still suffering the effects it has had on both my mental and physical health.

Avoid at all costs

i would strongly advise against working here. The management have no respect or care for their staff. You are working for over 12 hours a day for the littleat wage. You start as an apprentice yet they never give you anytime to do it. They do not follow health and saftey or follow it up once has been reported even though its life threating. The food is horrible that you are given and you have to eat it or dont eat as they do not provide services of making your own food even though you arw paying over £200 for rent and the services are not the best for what you pay as you are literally given a manky bed and broken wardrobes to put your stuff in it comes to earning £2.68 a hour once they have taken money. The managent are not proviessinal in anyway. I would avoid this at all costs and go work for a different company!

Pros

Meet new people

Cons

Long hours, management is terrible, horrible food, lots to pay for nothing. Hardly got a chance to go home

Utter Shocker

To any people considering JCA I'd strongly advise you to head to somewhere better. Don't take the apprenticeship. It's worthless. I had the "privilege of working across a few of their centres. The management is utterly horrific. Communication is poor resulting in morale being unbelievably low amongst staff. JCA aren't a company to stand by you either. I've seen two people (good instructors too) suspended due to a teacher making complaints I know to be false and unreasonable. They do not stand by their staff. One day you will be told one thing and then over the next week it will change. JCA are last minute with everything. They are a poor excuse for an adventure company, You work horrificly long hours aswell starting at 8 and not finishing till 9 sometimes with only half hour breaks. Honestly cannot put into words how much I implore you to look elsewhere . AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Pros

You get paid

Cons

The company is a joke. A shambles. Utterly laughable.

Well run company

Well run company, too many changes in management and engineers daily travel is not organised well. Traveling for minimum 6 hours a day in the van on some days.

Only join if you’re completely up for it

Long hours, underpaid, felt like playground gossip always going around the team. Accomidation price goes up along with your wage. Pay over £200 for a room monthly

Pros

Somewhat fun

Cons

Long hours, lack of communication, low pay, advancement has little to no pay rise

Work

The work was very good as you got to enjoy the work. You also got to help do the activities with the children. I had to make sure that all the equipment were safe to use b3fore I could use them as I was working with other people.

jca

In this job I learned lots of different things. I enjoyed working for this company at first I started of in Salisbury then I moved to hailing island in Portsmouth then I moved to condover in Shrewsbury I got to look at different cities.

Over worked and under paid

Unless coming into company with a watersports qualification (like I luckily had) everybody begins on an apprenticeship. You do a year of NVQ work which is a total ball ache to get a COMPLETELY useless certificate out of it that I have never seen used anywhere in all my time working in the outdoors for companies like JCA, PGL, Acorn etc etc. I can't even get into how bad management is because it actually makes my blood boil. Worst place I ever worked. Would NEVER send my children there because NATIONAL rules of safety and regulations are ruined. As much as PGL has many cons and can also be infuriating (trust me I have done the tears and the tired all the time exhaustion) it is the best company to get qualifications from in terms of quad bikes, archery, motorbikes, watersports and more whilst earning a wage. JCA is not worth it. Two separate girls put two grown men's lives in danger due to absolute gross negligence, one was beyond lucky, the other was sent to hospital with sever back injuries. Awful company. Would never send my kids there. Would NEVER reccomend anyone to work there.

Pros

Working in the outdoors

Cons

Working in rain and snow, long hours, bad pay, bad managment, vulnerable to corporate attack all the time

exciting

good management, good job for opening doors but accommodation and food price is ridiculous. great facilities and good team to work with. long hours..

Pros

good team

Trabajo en equipo multicultural

Aprendí a trabajar en equipo. Al realizar este trabajo, también aprendí a ser una persona con iniciativa propia y que con esfuerzo y perseverancia todo se consigue. Esta experiencia me ayudó a mejorar tanto mi inglés como a mi habilidad con la gente.

excellent experiance

For personal growth within the water sports role, was ideal. Working with kids, vulnerable adults, teachers, co workers external and internal. Has again, help futher an understanding of anthropology. The team was great, those who had work within the industry before helped supported those new to the role. Everyone bonded and jelled quickly. Showing through the scores the teachers/ team leaders filled in. Happy employees equals excellent results.

Jca

Fun company to work with. Team members were honest and open with anything that needed improvement, team would help each other to solve problems. Working long hours, was given accommodation, fed twice a day and paid monthly.

Pros

Breakfast and Dinner provided

Fun and rewarding

Incredible company and you get to work with incredible people. So much fun and so rewarding, everything about this job is amazing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare JCA with

Learn about JCA in popular locations

• JCA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?