JLA
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

JLA Employee Reviews

United Kingdom70 reviews

staffmanagerpeoplecompanyhourdayworkingplace

Heading in the right direction

The workload is high but I can't complain about that. Its good to know that there's lots of business coming in. It feels like things are heading in the right direction after covid and the higher ups are doing more to listen to us people on the ground and keep us in the loop with what's going on.

Productive, helpful

From start to present JLA shows true professionalism, the tests and interviewing, I knew it was a good company. Probationary and training period gives you plenty of time to get settled in and apart of the team.

Insights into JLA

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Exciting place of work, not day looks the same

Management is very professional, the company is well established and provides detail training and courses before you are sent in the field on you own. There is always someone to help you if needed. Company provides all the tools PPM testing equipment, spare parts and company van with company fuel card, basically when I started working for JLA from day one I was fully equipped and all the training was in advance planned for me.

Pros

Many pros...company van/fuel card, tools, lots of benefits

Cons

Lots of driving between sites

Productive and fast paced job

A productive and fast paced environment but excellent prospects. Friendly staff accross the business make it more enjoyable working environment. A lot of positive changes to the business over that last few years making it a great place to work. Highly recommended.

Great place to work!

JLA is a really good place to work, opportunities for professional growth are always on the table. I feel very supported when I am at work by managers and other colleagues. There is a great canteen and on site gym. Things are always changing here, and we are expanding as a business all the time. It is a very fast paced environment so ideal for anyone who is up for a challenge.

Pros

On site gym

Cons

internal communication between departments can sometimes be difficult

Family environment

When I started at JLA many years ago, I was initially a little sceptical as it was very different to the multi national company that I had worked for previously. There were no written processes in place and a much smaller management structure, which whilst being very different, was completely understandable.However, over time I found that there was a familiarity and an informal atmosphere within the business, which was extremely endearing. The CEO would always acknowledge every person within the office and would more often than not, sit down and have lunch with the staff. There was a real family atmosphere, something which has largely remained unchanged. In terms of my role, I think the most positive element has been the fact that I have been given the autonomy to make my own decisions and more importantly, develop my own processes. It has been by no means easy to implement a process for my role, but I have been supported throughout by my peers and also my managers. They have made me feel valued and part of a team or family, something I truly appreciate.

Pros

Fantastic people

Cons

The commute to work

26 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. It's lovely to hear about your experience and are so grateful to our colleagues that live our values of care, commitment and collaboration week in and week out.

Growing business with plenty of opportunity to grow with it

Having been with the business for a number of years I have seen how JLA has grown from a company based out of two offices to one that now has over 10 sites and a large nationwide engineer network. The speed at which the business has grown has been incredible but with that comes its challenges.In the last 12 months there is visible evidence that the business is investing in its people at a time when many companies are not. In my opinion the development opportunities are fantastic and the tools that have been recently introduced to help departments learn and communicate will be key to the businesses success in the future.We have some great people with fantastic experience and industry knowledge that I have learnt so much from. I'm excited to see what the future holds for my career here and for the company.

Pros

Great people and the culture is always developing, Significant investments have been made in people development, Progression and personal development opportunities are there for people that want them

Cons

Nature and pace at which the business has grown means change is common, For me this is exciting but I understand for others this can take time to get used to

26 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. It's great to see that our colleagues see and benefit from the opportunities that are available to them.We also acknowledge that the pace of change at JLA can be challenging but thanks to the hard work of our colleagues we are confident that we can overcome anything that is thrown our way.

Challenging but Rewarding

Day-to-Day is never the same. There's always something to keep my mind working. I've been able and fortunate to advance my career at JLA with the full support of management and the people who work under me, as well as the wider business. The workplace culture is very much put in what you expect out of it. You need to work hard to see the benefits. The most difficult part of my job is having those conversations when things aren't going as expected, but the positive outcome from this is the most rewarding. Work life balance and flexibility is definitely a benefit of the job, which is achievable if you put the work in. I never take work home with me, and always ensure those that work are kept in a positive headspace to fulfill their potential. Sometimes we don't have visibility of the higher-ups of the business being based in Manchester. Also the company could review salaries on an annual basis but at present it does not. However I'm sure these things are in the pipeline to change.

26 July 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are proud of the fact that so many of our managers progress in-house.We understand that in the past, due to the set up of our office locations, the visibility of senior managers has not been consistent and we are addressing this by carrying out regular departmental roadshows that began in March this year.Each month a member of our Executive Team, Operating Board or Senior Leadership Team is hitting the road and meeting with colleagues across the country to outline our vision and plans for the future in their department. To learn more about these sessions keep an eye out for invitations and information on our Intranet or email hr@jla.com

Since joining the business, I have received plenty of support and guidance from the management to get the most out of each day in order to meet and exceed targets. The Manchester office has a great, friendly buzz where everyone gets along with each other!

Pros

Great facilities, over time opportunities and good working culture

26 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. It's great to see that you are getting the support and guidance that you need from your team and hope that you are settling in well to our new Manchester office.

Rapidly expanding and exciting.

Jla are going from strength to strength and its great to be part of it. We are looking at taking on board new customers and growing our department into one of the biggest in the uk .

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We look forward to watching our HVAC business grow.

Really enjoy working for JLA. Great progressive, work with some great people and clients. We were brought by JLA and been really positive since. Great to been in a growing company

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. In the last few years, we have gone through a significant amount of change following the acquisition of a number of businesses. We look forward to the opportunities this now creates for us in the future.

Growing successful company with opportunities for progression

I've enjoyed working at JLA over the past 8 years, its been a fast paced growing company since I have been here with plenty of opportunities to learn new skills and progress if you show willing and work hard. Always something new is happening which keeps things from being boring. I feel that the company has looked after me, I've had excellent managers and colleagues along the way and this allowed me to progress my career.

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. A key area of focus for us as a business is to ensure that our people have the skills, training and tools that they need in order to progress throughout their careers.

Workplace Culture

My experience working at JLA has been positive, I have not felt uncomfortable or treated differently. I am a working parent and have the flexibility I need with no judgement when I start/leave earlier than my colleagues for the school run. It is a welcoming diverse environment where people can be themselves.

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Equality, diversity and inclusion is a topic that is extremely important to us and we want to create an environment where people are able to bring their whole selves to work.

Great atmosphere

The employers/employees are lovely and the work life balance is easy and flexible. Bosses and management are very engaged with their staff and care about their wellbeing. The rate of pay is on or above average for living costs which is great

Pros

On site snack machines

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We value our colleagues' wellbeing very highly.

I have been here 7 years and I can honestly say I do love my role as a receptionist, every day is always a good day at the front desk. There have been significant changes, but under the new investors these changes have been positive, the atmosphere at JLA is more relaxed and an enjoyable place to work.

Pros

Gym on site and more holidays

Cons

I dont have cons

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We appreciate that for many people change can be daunting and work to create the right culture where together we can overcome any challenge thrown our way.

Friendly, exciting and progressive company to work for!

A typical day for me is starting off with a team buzz, outlining the changes of the day. Communication is vital and JLA promote communication and collaboration which is one of the main parts of my job that I love. I then move on to my reporting and analysis alongside other day to day duties which include staff management, liaising with various departments on projects within the business - its a great varied role I have!JLA have a culture of self development, they have an amazing learning portal which all staff are encouraged to use, training programs are always well delivered and vital to the progress of staff, I enjoy being supported in my own development and also the development of my team.JLA is a really exciting place to work with some great benefits where everyone is treated fairly and everyone is included. Its a really wonderful working environment.

Pros

Development & Progression

Cons

Parking

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We have and are continuing to invest heavily in the development of our colleagues. We are aware of the challenges that the car park in Ripponden creates for our colleagues. Our Facilities team are currently working on solutions to improve this.

Such a great place to work!

I've been at JLA for roughly 5 months now so I am all settled in and I honestly do not have a negative word to say about JLA.The Management at JLA are extremely approachable and not just my direct line manager who is fantastic. The culture here is all about accountability and teamwork and it is lead from the top down.My role is in L&D and I am constantly getting requests from managers across the business to help engage and develop their teams, this just shows how invested the managers are in their team's growth. The work life balance is the best I've ever had in a job with hybrid working and great office hours. I've been on several team nights out with another coming up this Friday and everyone is so welcomingI'd definitely recommend JLA to anyone, the culture is extremely positive and if help is requested then it is given and if you are a positive influence it is noticed by people

Pros

Friendly teams, great culture, a company that values their employees

Cons

Haven't found any yet

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. It's fantastic to hear from our new colleagues. Welcome to the team.

Dumpster fire

Management are clueless beyond a joke when the engineers are seeing the failings and try pointing them out you will be fobbed off jobs take 5-6 visits to complete and you will be ran ragged with no thanks other then you have a job if you don’t work over time it’s passed to a manger to pressure you in to it on top of this engineers are hired and leave within 4weeks this company is best described as a carrot company they dangle pay rises and furthering your career but when the time comes puff you will be told to wait it’s going to get better it will not, by far one of the worst places I’ve worked and would rather go back to work at a place that almost killed me AVOID at all cost interview over the phone and will be accepted there and then as they can not retain anyone worth there salt Risk assessments are a joke we never seen them and never signed them point of work risk assessment is about as much use as a choc fire guard I feel sorry for there customers I give the hvac side 1yr before it folds as contacts are looking for a way to get away from JLA

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

Laughable work conditions and no health and safety

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We understand that our colleagues within our HVAC teams have gone through significant changes and appreciate all of the hard work that our colleagues in the field carry out.In response to your comments about risk assessments, the health and safety of our colleagues is our number one priority and it is everyone’s responsibility to ensure that the correct processes and procedures are followed in this respect. Your comments will be forwarded to our HVAC Operations Director who will be carrying out a full investigation.Communication between our colleagues in the field and those in the office is an area of focus and we are working closely with our management teams and wider departments to improve our current processes.With regards to your comments about engineer development, we have recently introduced a fair grading scheme that provides all engineers across our verticals with a clear progression pathway.

stressful

No support from managers higher. Most people doing jobs meant for 3 people. Take on to much work for the amount of staff we have, feel sorry for staff there hope it had improved

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We recognise the challenges that our colleagues in our HVAC and Fire teams have had to face as we transition into new ways of working and get familiar with new systems.We are working with our managers throughout the business to ensure that all colleagues have clear sets of objectives to work towards and reviewing processes throughout the business to help identify how we can improve moving forwards.

field staff aren't treated right in comparison to office staff

i understand that office staff will get some favouritism as the management work in the same space as them however the benefits the office staff heavily outweigh the field staff.office staff get an hour for lunch, gym on site and others. what do the field staff get? in my eyes, nothing different to the office staff.i do enjoy working in the field but find it hard knowing that someone who stays inside all day gets many more benefits than myself.

Pros

modern vehicle although tracked

Cons

stupidly far distances travelled on call.

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We want to make it very clear that we do not endorse favouritism in any way at JLA.In the interest of our colleagues' wellbeing we actively encourage people to take a lunch break regardless of their job role. Please speak with your line manager directly to discuss this.For our colleagues that are not located out of our Ripponden office (where we have an onsite gym), discounted gym memberships are available nationwide through our colleagues' benefits scheme. All colleague benefits are accessible through our company Intranet.If you need help accessing this please contact hr@jla.com

Too good to be true.

you'll be drawn in with promises of reviews, salary progression and career advancements. however i have never personally known anyone to advance in this company since my company was bought out by them in 2018.i do still work here but i will be making the move due to unkept promises. constant emails about referring people to join company to make up the short fall.

Pros

provided with tools for job, company owned

Cons

call out too frequent and area too large

21 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We appreciate that our colleagues in our Fire teams have gone through a number of changes that naturally occur when an acquisition takes place and we understand that along the way this creates challenges. As we move forward we are confident that the changes that we are introducing will help set us up to succeed and support us in taking care of our customers across the UK. With regards to your comments about engineer progression, we have recently introduced a fair grading scheme that provides all engineers across our verticals with a clear progression pathway, outlining the experience and training needed to step up.Please speak with your line manager for more information regarding this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JLA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare JLA with

Learn about JLA in popular locations

• JLA