John Davidson Pipes

John Davidson Pipes Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews

A fair employer, do your job is all they ask.

I worked for JDP as a delivery driver for 8 years (1 year agency before going on the books) and enjoyed my time there. Good working conditions, fair workload, never asked to do more than can be done in a day. Friendly approachable management that will help if they can if you have any issues, be that with work or personally. Can't say fairer than that really. The job is what you make it, it's not for the lazy. Every day is different and if you do what you're supposed to do you're pretty much left to get on with things. I'll miss working for JDP.

Pros

Manageable workload, drivers bonus scheme for safe efficient driving, home every night, weekends off.

Cons

Basic wage with not a lot of overtime, but if you're after a good work life balance it's ideal.

There is no better in this industry

Of course I see these reviews from disgruntled leavers, but there will always be some who take on jobs that they just can’t do and then blame the business. Look at the facts JDP has grown in all respects; turnover, number of branches, jobs and customers. They have been Investors in People accredited Gold Standard for years. This is not easy to get. Right now shortlisted for National Merchant of the year by BMJ. This is a hard working ambitious company that understand that success starts and finishes with the quality of the staff. If you invest in your job you will be recognised and rewarded. However if you just want to survive the day and take the pay-then don’t apply. I worked there for a longtime and I would recommend JDP for any one wanting to make a mark in this sector

Pros

Prospects, training, community

Cons

High expectations, not the poshest on the block

awful branch to work at.

it takes a few weeks for the true colours of the staff to surface, the manager and driver were as thick as thieves, they ask for a driver but want a silent donkey to pick up the slack of they're laziness,horrible experience.

Pros

Cons

all

Challenging, but enjoyable

They have great products that other companies don't have, and customers are really interested in (and can really benefit from), good bonus scheme to top up salary (I never took home a basic salary), but took up my own time to learn and get my head around the products/systems. Felt as though I had to just "understand" what it is was straight away, but it was me that pushed myself to know more rather than the company. If I had any questions, the team always took time to help me. Difficult to understand the employee benefits scheme, but it seemed good. Enjoyed my time there but I settled for a job closer to home. Had to cross the city to get there so it was a bit of a pain.

Pros

Great team, focus on traditional customer service, learn a lot about products.

Cons

Some branches are difficult to work with, but management help if needed.

Never a dull moment - great place to work

I have worked for this company for over 20 years and progressed from a junior to middle management as the training and career progression is excellent, with the opportunity to shine if you want it. The company are forward thinking and the management work hard to ensure that the opinions and views of the staff are listened to, boasting an IIP Gold award to prove this. Office environment is friendly and overall its a very good company to work for. Also offer good employee benefits and rewards.

Pros

Promots from within good career progression

Cons

Can be stressful at certain times of month/year

Challenging but rewarding

JDP is a good company to work for as no two days are the same. The workload can sometimes become a bit stressful, but everyone always offers to help each other out and we work well as a team. Sometimes communication needs filtering through the hierarchy, but overall we manage well and productively. Here at Head Office we often organise meals out and other get-togethers, which is really good to be able to socialise with your colleagues. Overall, if you like a challenge and a friendly working atmosphere, then JDP is a great place to work.

Pros

Friendly working atmosphere and helpful colleagues

Cons

Communication could be improved

Great people to work with

JDP have a great work force, sometimes let down by the department supervisors who can be quick to criticise and make remarks of how they could do it better. The higher management are much more helpful and encourage you to be your best. Pay is on the low side and should be improved in order to keep the better staff. High work load which should be reflected in staff salary. But if workload is not manageable most other staff are happy to lend a hand. Over all it’s a good place to work the number of staff with 20+ years service shows this.

Pros

Friendly staff, job security, training, promotion opportunity

Cons

Inexperienced supervisors, salary

Great company with passionate colleagues.

Based at Head Office for many years I've found my colleagues to be helpful and extremely friendly. The company offers an excellent work life balance and have always found that I have the full support of both my line manager and other senior managers with in the company. Healthy discussions are encouraged with management and the company are open to new ideas put to them.

Pros

Friendly working enviroment

Awful working experience

I would avoid this company unless used for a temporary job fix. Extremely bad management from head office, big turn over in staff due to bullying and unhealthy working environment with low pay.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, high workload and very stressful

Bad Working Enviroment

Lacks direction, no training and high demands. Quick to blame but not help. Staff in general are rude and aggressive due to the high work load and extreme stress of the roles. Unless your desperate avoid

Pros

Cons

Extremley Bad Company

Challenging + exciting Enviroment

Having worked for JDP for the last 8 years i have to say as a sales manager i have never had such an enjoyable and rewarding job , working in a forward thinking progressive company , which is eager to reward and promote from with in , very well run by a strong and focused management team , We offer a great product to a vibrant market which includes a diverse range of challenges and customers to work with daily .

Pros

Defined Targets, ear at the top table, career development

Cons

Response times to key decisions could improve .

A great company!

JDP provide a structured training programme enabling you to progress as fast or as slow as you want to. Management are very supportive and encourage development to promote within the company.

Productive and rewarding work envirnoment

JDP is an innovative company that is going through a period of substantial growth. The opportunities I have been given since I started at the company have been great, for example I have been offered lots of training, and support. Many people have been with the company a long time, and have regularly been promoted. I feel that I can make a real difference and with some hard work I too will see career progression.

Pros

Supportive and great growth opportunites

Friendly Environment

Great place to work with plenty of progression, always try to promote from within and provide plenty of training and development plans to help people progress with their careers. All staff are friendly and never feel intimidated. Can be quite a relaxed atmosphere, dress down Fridays, charity events like cake days - always lots of cake. Online intranet to keep employees up to date with what's going on in the company and make them feel included.

Pros

Great Progression, promote from within

Poor Training facilities

No training provided and no direction would not recommend this company for various reasons which I cannot discuss for various reasons AVOID!

Pros

Other staff are very helpful and hardworking

Cons

Long hours, No training scheme provided, Poor management who bully

I really enjoyed JDP great co-workers great job.

I was responsible for loading up deliveries in the morning. I spent the rest of the day making up orders and serving customers. I worked on up-right forklifts and telescopic forks aswell. my co-workers where all good people and they helped me learn the job quickly. When we weren't busy I would tidy up the yard/store.

Pros

I learnt new skills and it was a pleasant place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Davidson Pipes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• John Davidson Pipes