John Lewis & Partners

John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews

Found 1,957 reviews matching the search
Nice and busy place to work not over managed as long as you work honest and diligently, plus if you want or ambitious some opportunity to progress to management.
Pros
Subsidised lunch
Cons
Level of bonus
Lovely people running a lovely store. Every day is different and always rewarding. Can't think of anything bad about this place. If you are looking for work in the retail sector, this has to be the number 1 choice.
Pros
Benefits, flexibity, culture ...
Cons
Don’t fall for there brainwashing lies and they don’t give a dame about health and safety all they care about is the customers not there stafff ?????????????????????????
Pros
Discount
Cons
Mangers
Worked as a Christmas temp. The job description on the contract didn't match the work I actually did. I signed up to be an operations partner (putting stock out) but had to do hosting which was managing the queues (covid restrictions). The days were quite repetitive and would have to stand for hours doing the same thing. Supported Waitrose when lockdown 3 began (didn't really have much say or choice in this). Was told a lot about being made permanent/there are chances to become permanent but in the end, got nothing. Perk was free food on breaks. Also, all the staff were friendly - temps were treated nicely and not different from other staff. Managers were very friendly too, unlike in some jobs where managers can be nasty towards retail staff.
Pros
Free food on breaks, friendly staff and management
Cons
Not given further opportunity to work, repetitive shifts
One manager at branch 155 bullies you so please be cautious when applying at this branch - overall really good company to work for shame some management let the company down by bullying partners.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bullying
Worked at John Lewis in 2019, it's a nice place to work most of the time, but there are a few bullies in the workplace. Expressed my upset to a manager and nothing was done about a certain persons behaviour who was well known to bully staff anyway! John Lewis poole should look after their newer/temp staff as well as their more well-known members of staff. Other than that, the working environment is good as mostly everyone else is friendly and helpful.
If you have too much time and feel like answering over 100 of ridiculous questions, then you may apply. And by ridiculous I mean that there are many factors that would actually affect your decision in real life. The answers they are looking for are not right or right, they just have to be the same what the managers want to hear, and they are not always right or even ethical.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Silly management all the way to the top
Co workers were lovely and helpful, and experience on the shop floor was fine, but management was incredibly poor and unorganized. There was awful communication, managers were difficult to get a hold of if we had any questions, didn’t reply to emails on important questions and we weren’t informed about anything, often finding out key information to do with our hour changes due to covid etc through other staff. we were also underpaid, despite being told we would be paid for the days we couldn’t come in due to the shop being closed because of national lockdown, we did not receive pay for these days
Pros
free lunches
Cons
poor communication
JLP do not care about their colleagues, no back up or support, exceptionally poor training and communication across all areas. Management hide in ivory towers reluctant to help when needed the most. The worst company by far to work for in terms of work-life balance by a mile!
Cons
Throughly enjoyed my time working for John Lewis. The management team were great and very supportive. Lots of progression if you wish to work in the retail sector.
John Lewis was a great place to work and the people were lovely. I was there for nearly 5 years, but decided to change jobs as my face didn't fit in the management program. Working your way up is very slow unless you're happy to move to another branch around the UK. If you're looking for long term than this is a great job for you. With over 25 years service you will have a year's paid leave. The partnership does have a number of partner benefits and discounts. These have unfortunately been getting less and less over the years. Nice place to work depending on your manager.
Pros
You are a partner of the business
Cons
Pay was just above minimum wage for a complicated job
Good pension scheme and a good work life balance. Also discount from John Lewis and Waitrose after 3 months. Additionally they have a death in service scheme that pays 4 X your salary to your loved ones. Very people oriented compared to anywhere iv worked before.
Pros
Cheap food
Cons
Not many cons
Thankful to of worked @ John Lewis as a christmas Parter. We weren’t treated as second class. The teams were friendly and i assisted on the ground floor, gifts and decorations. I did cover other departments like the cafe and the tech sales floor when a rush came in. The canteen was amazing and i’d have a cooked lunch for less than £2.Great value so i’d eat there rather than at home. Even though i was a temp i was given holiday, So icould visit my parents over christmas as given time off.70 off us helped at christmas and were rewarded well. Only 5 positions were available in January. I really appreciated the oppertunity to work at such a high status store.
Pros
Team work makes the dream work
Cons
Rude customers... Just smile and ignor them
Loved working at John Lewis Birmingham but I got made redundant it was a shock they treated staff very well the money was good you had to work hard but loved it
Pros
Good bonus good hours
Cons
Never enough staff
Management are a joke - there is no place for advancement if you are competent and qualified. If you get on well enough with management then you can get put into a scheme that makes you a manager. However, because there are so many managers you cannot actually become a manager. The only hope you have is to stay as a minimum wage retail worker being shouted at by entitled boomer/privileged rich ***holes. Retail is awful & John Lewis is no different. Only bonus is the discount. Do not recommend
Pros
Discount
Cons
Nearly everything
I had a great bunch of people working in my area, but most of the staff seemed stressed and unhappy when I was there. Some of the management didn’t have any people skills and blamed staff unforgiving for their own mistakes. Once I was shouted at in front of customers for something I had no part in and I found it totally embarrassing and upsetting. This is why I left.
Pros
Lovely shop to work in
Cons
Very long hours on your feet and you was not allowed to sit down.
Great place to feel like you really can make a difference. If you pride yourself in great service and quality, this is the place for you. Trusted to make the right decisions to take care of your customers, can be a very fulfilling role.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Quite physically demanding
There is several installer colleagues whose want to smoke in the cab and if you say no please (anyway that is not allowed) they are looking for the opportunity to revenge always. Accuse and report you to the management. So, if you would like to work with them just go to work at John Lewis Weybridge but if not AVOID!
Cons
long hours, malicious colleagues, difficult start every morning, poor wage for this job, (25 stops a day, delivery machines to upstairs, lift up american fridges for two man)
After 7 years with partnership I totally recommend to anyone thinking to join. I learned so much from partnership. Working culture here is different from anywhere else, as we all a partner we take our pride at our job. Everyday is different and always a opportunity to progress within partnership.
Pros
Working with amazing team.
Cons
Sometime it’s doesn’t feel like work.
The managers are stuck up cold and unfriendly they do not consider that an employee may have things going on in their life outside of JLP I found them very ridgit and expected a better attude. To be honest alot depends on the line manger some can be ok but in the store I was in they were awful.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Long hours always having to stand
No day was ever the same, and i learned a lot eibg in branch council and being sent on learning coursee to somwith mens fashion, it was very interesting. The best part of fhe job was the work colleagues anx friends i made while there, its great to know who you can rely on when needed, the hardest part of the job was being on uour feet all day, however, if yiu were placex on the cash desk that really helped.
Pros
Discount theoughout the store
Cons
Very long hours and not great pay