John Lewis & Partners

United Kingdom2,470 reviews

Found 2,470 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,546 reviews
johnwaitrosepartnerpartnershipsubsidisedjljlpcanteen

Extremely underpaid

Staff are extremely underpaid for VM compared to other companies and are treated at the same level as sales staff and Christmas temps despite all the extra responsibilities and jobs piled on them.

Good treatment

Postive atmosphere to work inGood teamFast recruitment processReasonable hoursGood payBecome specialised in your department Continuous training provided

Insights into John Lewis & Partners

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Inclusive work environment

Worse job ever

You are set up to fail, unrealistic KPIs. Constant micromanagement from managers who don’t know the role. Workplace culture is toxic, you are sold the idea you are a partner/owner but realistically you are a number and because you are working from home it feels like the management are scared they are not getting their pound of flesh, you are constantly having to justify yourself. It’s a really hard job and the management are constantly changing the ways of working.The discount was great and the people on the same level as me were amazing. I didn’t realise how much I hated the job until I left.I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Pros

Partner discount

Cons

Everything else

An awful company company to work for who are still banging the drum of partner not employees

What is the best part of working at the company?There were no best parts. The company is totally jobs for the boys (but mainly girls) and stricken with a woke culture that has devastated the ability to be any longer a credible profitable retailer What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Working for the company was the most stressful part of working for the company What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The culture is awful driven by narcissistic leaders in a a supposed partnership where you do as I say not as I do What is a typical day like for you at the company?As a supposed partner your day consists of having to watch as the leadership wastes millions on woke and diversity propaganda instead of making a profit to enhance annual partner bonuses which are literally now gone

One of better high street companies

Was a good company in my time bonus was a thing back before 2021, sick and holiday pay good discount holiday homes. Less management which means more responsibility which can be good for development but can be stressful at times.

Fun workspace but limited opportunities

Enjoyed working some of the time, however was limited by the lack of opportunities.Mostly a fair employer, nevertheless the some managers are not adequate .

Hard work

I enjoy my role .It is fast paced and you need to be organised to give the best customer service possible.You need to be a great team player and multi task

Long hours decent pay

Hours are long and take up majority of the day, no variation on rota so no opportunity for varied flexible hours. Pay was decent, but not enough for the amount of work

Great place to work,

No job is easy, but satifaction guarenteed, Id recommend to anyone, great benifits, Pay is ok not the best, but the grass is not greener, different way of working

Lovely store selling great products.Customers expect a lot and can be very demanding.

What is the best part of working at the company?Your coworkers .Most of the employees in John Lewis are lovely and come from a diverse range of backgrounds. We all work really hard in our teams to achieve our goals from selling partners to operations. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The floors are often short staffed.The customers can be very demanding What is the work environment and culture like at the company? Busy.We have team briefs 1st thing daily to let us know the figures& news about the business.When not serving customers on tills you deal with orders, complaints, returns & help on the floor.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Varied.Everyone has a device that shows Yr shif pattern for the day.It,s broken down into tasks with set lunch and break times.

Could be better if lazy people were thinned out

It's not a bad place to work and it's quite relaxed with a decent atmosphere. Pay is not good though and everyone gets paid the same really means the lazy people get paid the same as the busy people for doing nothing and this is not effectively handled by those in charge.

A good company with great values

I enjoy working at JL, we have a great diverse team. You have a set schedule so you can plan ahead for your day off and work every second weekend if you are a full time employee. Great discount in JL and waitrose.

good

good experience managers change often so hard to build relationships, bonus and benefits were nice got a few paid holidays and human resources was always helpful

Great people to work with, managers are very chilled and helpful. Pay is okay, always a friendly environment during nights. Managers sit with you and set personal goals which i find very helpful.

Poor management

No consistency in management they have their favourite “clique” who get all the interesting assignments and chit chat together. No proper performance management so the slackers get away with doing very little

Good company to work for!

Loved my job here, I found it a really good company to work for! Recommend to anyone who is thinking of applying to the contact centre.

Productive and fun place, not hard

Good company to work for but not overly challenging! Management is good but workload can be busy one day then very slow the next! Good benefits from working there

Fun work place great people too share the experience with

What is the best part of working at the company?The people who you work with. Team work and honesty and supportive and caring.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Keeping an eye on the time too make sure there is enough stock too give too the customer.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very nice great team work together supporting each other. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Every day is the same but this makes the job easier as you get into a routine which then makes your job easier.

Useless

No overtime even when promised. No transfers available even when promised. Impossible to get time off. Very poor management and you get sent to departments you know nothing about all the time.

Pros

Cheap food on break, relaxed working environment

Cons

No hours or overtime available, poor management/rude managers, flexing (sent to other departments)

Management was shocking and speak to you like you are dirt. Old timers who have been there years get special treatment while the younger ones run around on less money doing 100x more.

Working at John Lewis offers a unique and enriching employment experience. The company's renowned partnership structure fosters a sense of belonging and ownership among employees. In this cooperative environment, staff are referred to as "partners" and have a say in business decisions, promoting a collaborative atmosphere. The commitment to exceptional customer service and quality products is a cornerstone of John Lewis. Employees often praise the inclusive culture, highlighting the emphasis on diversity and equal opportunity. The company's extensive training programs equip partners with valuable skills for personal and professional growth. While the pace can be demanding, the supportive team dynamics and clear communication channels help maintain a positive work-life balance. Overall, John Lewis provides an empowering workplace that values individuals as part of a larger, shared success story.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis & Partners. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement