John Lewis & Partners

John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews

United Kingdom2,125 reviews

Found 2,125 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,181 reviews

Great team

nice people to work withthe locationhelpful people i gained a lot of confidence in myself by talking to customers every dayi would scan and print out tickets

Pros

free lunches

Cons

Great place to work at needs mowed now and then but all round Great place for ac starting job as very friendly and casual tic about the clock and that s

Pros

Free lunches

Boring

Irritating, tedious. Wouldn’t let me reduce my hours even though I was agency. I originally did 20 hours, some weeks even 16. And then out of nowhere they wanted me to do 30 hours a week. I did it for a week or two before I wanted to opt out of that because it was too long for me. It would of interfered with going to my MMA gym. I told them I didn’t want that many hours but they didn’t ever listen. Finally had enough and so I went away.

Former employees were a joy to work with. Enjoyed my time working here.Great team spirit and family feel.The discount was very generous.Lovely store and customers.

Good place for work

Good working place , nice people too, clean, tidiness, nice manager, free hot drink, paid not good , agency not very friendly, always reduce working hours

I liked it in London

I really enjoyed working for Waitrose in Enfield between 2015 and 2018. The people were very friendly. The job was moderately varied and sometimes hard work, but most of the time very manageable.

It is ok but definitely not the John Lewis it used to be

The team of people I work with at JL are a lovely bunch and the only reason I have stayed after Christmas. Otherwise the job is tiring due to the long hours. It is too inflexible. They won't let us change our hours at all and I only had the choice of one full time rota or one part time rota. The business recovery plan is at the expense of the wellbeing of the partners as they expect us to train in more areas and increase our workload but do not increase our pay. JL is not the best of retail anymore.

Pros

Lovely team of people who are always willing to help one another out and the staff discount is good.

Cons

Long tiring hours. Rota is too inflexible.

Very poor communication and managers

Was pushed aside by managers. Wasn't getting the support needed nor the experience to improve my given job role.Despite only working part time, new staff who were full time got given more experience and actually got given more opportunities to work on other areas of their job while I was given constantly the same boring job, no matter how many times I asked to be moved and given more experience I was ignored. I constantly asked for full time hours yet they wouldn't give me any despite bringing in more staff throughout and some staff leaving.One of the worst things it felt like high school, a lot of stuck up members of staff who believe they're more higher grounded than others depending on their time working there. Some staff members were really down to earth while others were very hypocritical and very double standards against you for whatever reason.Started off really hopeful but ended up pushed aside and honestly affected my mental health quite badly. Honestly this is one of the worst places I've worked at, If you don't fit the right picture working here they'll just push you aside. Not to mention they have the wellbeing production focusing on people's metal health at work? It's a load of rubbish basically they'd do everything in their own power to avoid having to deal with it.Not to mention since I've left that place they've only started giving out more hours to people not to mention they has been people working 15+ years to work and earn a higher wage while some people who'd only been there for 2 years were earning the same wage, It's honestly a popularity parade -

Enjoyable workplace

Good work culture and great management who went above and beyond for staff. Salary could have been much higher for the amount of work we were doing. Would recommend.

Collaborative and varied

I had a long tenure here trying several different roles. good representation of Partner concerns and interests in democratic forums. Partners are keen to work together.

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

Hard to progress

Wasn't bad, wouldn't mind working in another branch

Good place, some staff were nice, some weren't (as expected at any workplace). Only left coz it was conflicted with my other commitments, but I wouldn't mind working at another branch (this particular one was eventually shut down due to covid)

Pros

Good hours, training was good

Cons

Not much room to grow

Relaxed workplace but not student-friendly

The pay is good and the colleagues are nice, some can be strict depending on the floor you’re assigned to. not always student friendly but the colleagues are like-minded and its generally quite an enjoyable experience

Poor management, awful pay and incompetent!

Working for John Lewis certainly does not live up to the standards you’d think! Very little support from management (who are incredibly lazy!) and expected to work like a Trojan with no reward or recognition. Their attitude towards mental health is appalling and general lack of care for the staff is lacking! Forever feeling undervalued and undermined.

bad management , low pay and no progression

Managers are terrible, you will always be on the minimum pay. The pay scale they show for advertising jobs are unrealistic as you will only increase by a few pence per hour each year after being hired on the bottom of the pay range. Lots of bullying. If you don’t fit the mold then they will single you out. Play ground culture.

Customer Centric & Collaborative Culture

Hybrid working focused on driving excellent customer service through Partners in a fast paced/challenging environment. Collaborative and supporting team culture across Partners, Leaders and Steering Group. Democracy & Diversity/Inclusivity is a huge priority. Head Of hosts virtual townhalls to ensure Partners have a voice and can openly ask questions. Resilience is critical as the nature of the work is fast paced and challenging.

Work life

Good place to work with good people. I worked in the Sloane Square branch and everyone was super welcoming and helpful, it was like working with family and friends.

Pros

Developing knowledge in customer service

Cons

Worked on the weekends so didn’t have much of a social life?

Stressful environment

The culture within John Lewis is all geared towards nepotism, and you are overworked and underpaid, work place stress is the norm. And unfortunately if you ask questions it is seen as negative.

Pros

Subsided on site lunches and free coffee

Cons

Over worked, long hours expected, non competitive pay

I wouldn't recommend

- Fast-paced unbearable environment during Christmas, half terms etc. but very quiet and slow the rest of the year. - Best part of the job used to be the bonus which they removed since the pandemic. - pay is very average, and if you worked overtime at all (they beg you to), you have to chase them down for months to get paid.- The hardest part of the job is serving rude/racist/sexist customers like any other customer facing job. - Some managers are great but the rest are very happy to hide in office most days, leaving shop floor staff to figure it out as they went along or deal with verbally abusive customers on their own.

Good pay

Just an odd warehouse. Pay is good, some managers are rude, some very rude. They are interested just in targets what they clearly said, so don't care about customer service, jut hit your target.

Family-oriented but inflexible

I personally learned a lot in the 3 months working here in the Menswear department. Some of the management & staff were helpful and supportive, some are unhelpful or rude telling you to ''suck it up'' or ''we're not here to hold your hand''). The hours are very long and tiring especially when you are on your feet all day. Generally, it would be good if they had introduced more flexible working hours. Overall, a good place to gain experience.

Pros

Partnership, Location, Pay, Subsidised Meals, Friendly Environment, Friendly Colleagues, Discount, Structure, Customer Service, Benefits

Cons

Long Hours, Long Days, Poor Management, Short-Staff, Working Weeknds

Nice place to work.

Would be better if more people shopped here and supported the business. Very high quality products, good service and ethical both from customers and staff. Very happy to have worked here during university.The only downside is there is not much customers in store. John Lewis can solve this by using more tactical marketing aimed at a wider audience because I was surprised to find everything I needed when working there. After leaving the company experienced the same excellent service. I worked in the Brent Cross branch in London under an excellent manager in the furniture department. Overall a very positive experience in my life.More British people to support this business is what is needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis & Partners. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare John Lewis & Partners with

• John Lewis & Partners
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?