John Lewis & Partners

John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews

Found 1,965 reviews matching the search
The partnership is a brilliant place to work, culture between stores varies. The team are fantastic, they make it what it is. The management at this store were super supportive although I know that it's not the same for others.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Limited progression, poor job security
We work in a friendly but professional hotel that looks after only John Lewis and Waitrose Partners. This means we are offering a great holiday experience to our colleagues from other branches. There are many returning guests who love the hotel and the surrounding area.We have good live in rooms with all meals included for a nominal rent. We have a good rota which gives your time off and your working days for a full year so you can plan your holidays and we get one weekend in three off. We are close to Ambleside and the Lake so really easy to get around the area.We are all Partners and therefore have the benefit of working for a large organisation that has been incredibly supportive over the last year while Covid 19 erupted. No-one has lost pay or their jobs due to the pandemic.
Pros
All meals for live in staff or meals on duty for live out. Rewarding work life balance, happy work colleagues
Cons
Small hotel - 24 rooms so expected to work in all departments if asked, usually due to unexpected time off from other Partners
It is one of those places that your face has to fit to work here.Some management are great but the vast majority are back stabbers and boot lickers who swan around all day looking busy but not doing anything.The vast majority of partners are great but a number of them see john lewis as some kind of messiah and that is all they talk about.One last thing I look at john lewis as a shiny new fesh apple looks good on the outside but is rotten to the core!
I worked there for many years, John Lewis is not going in the right direction, closing stores and making partners redundant. Even if you are a specialist in a high value you easily be told to jump on a till somewhere else or clear tables in restaurant. Management are not effective, many of them don't come from a retail background and are constantly chasing their tail. Full time rota means you work every other weekend, they are not as flexible as you think. The one thing that does makes John Lewis is the non Management partners, most departments have great teams.
Pros
The partners and benefits
Cons
The rota and the management
You can learn lots about the running of a big business. Also you can make a lot of friends that stay in touch 100%. You will learn about safe working in a big organisation as John Lewis.
Pros
Discounts
Even though I had worked there for years ,Even into my late 20s ,and as a senior member of staff with a very very long list of additional responsibilities and expectations, it was not at all financially rewarded, and all teenagers who were new in the job were paid significantly more than myself
Pros
Reduced meal prices in the canteen
Cons
No rewards
Only looking after Business need don't care about well being of employee. The company need to make sure that, everyone has an equal opportunity. Lack of diversity in the company.
Pros
Discount Card
Cons
Need to promote diversity and inclusion
I’ve worked as a delivery driver last year but my experience was dreadful! They expect you to work overtime every single day, the pay is ridiculous for the type of work you’re doing - you take home £1500 after tax, you’ll experience injuries on a weekly basis because they load your van with double the weight you’ll usually manage to handle on your own. After working 5 shifts in a row this job takes the toll on you not only physically but mentally as well! I definitely regret spending 5 months with them but haven’t had other option really..bills had to be paid somehow..
Pros
Starting early and finishing early..around 2PM
Cons
Always injured, stressed, lousy pay, no validation for going the extra mile, terrible management
If you are going to work in Retail than I can think of no better place. They are flexible and caring, and look after their workforce if you work hard for them
Pros
Flexible
Cons
pay
Nice and busy place to work not over managed as long as you work honest and diligently, plus if you want or ambitious some opportunity to progress to management.
Pros
Subsidised lunch
Cons
Level of bonus
Lovely people running a lovely store. Every day is different and always rewarding. Can't think of anything bad about this place. If you are looking for work in the retail sector, this has to be the number 1 choice.
Pros
Benefits, flexibity, culture ...
Cons
Don’t fall for there brainwashing lies and they don’t give a dame about health and safety all they care about is the customers not there stafff ?????????????????????????
Pros
Discount
Cons
Mangers
Worked as a Christmas temp. The job description on the contract didn't match the work I actually did. I signed up to be an operations partner (putting stock out) but had to do hosting which was managing the queues (covid restrictions). The days were quite repetitive and would have to stand for hours doing the same thing. Supported Waitrose when lockdown 3 began (didn't really have much say or choice in this). Was told a lot about being made permanent/there are chances to become permanent but in the end, got nothing. Perk was free food on breaks. Also, all the staff were friendly - temps were treated nicely and not different from other staff. Managers were very friendly too, unlike in some jobs where managers can be nasty towards retail staff.
Pros
Free food on breaks, friendly staff and management
Cons
Not given further opportunity to work, repetitive shifts
One manager at branch 155 bullies you so please be cautious when applying at this branch - overall really good company to work for shame some management let the company down by bullying partners.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bullying
Worked at John Lewis in 2019, it's a nice place to work most of the time, but there are a few bullies in the workplace. Expressed my upset to a manager and nothing was done about a certain persons behaviour who was well known to bully staff anyway! John Lewis poole should look after their newer/temp staff as well as their more well-known members of staff. Other than that, the working environment is good as mostly everyone else is friendly and helpful.
Co workers were lovely and helpful, and experience on the shop floor was fine, but management was incredibly poor and unorganized. There was awful communication, managers were difficult to get a hold of if we had any questions, didn’t reply to emails on important questions and we weren’t informed about anything, often finding out key information to do with our hour changes due to covid etc through other staff. we were also underpaid, despite being told we would be paid for the days we couldn’t come in due to the shop being closed because of national lockdown, we did not receive pay for these days
Pros
free lunches
Cons
poor communication
JLP do not care about their colleagues, no back up or support, exceptionally poor training and communication across all areas. Management hide in ivory towers reluctant to help when needed the most. The worst company by far to work for in terms of work-life balance by a mile!
Cons
Throughly enjoyed my time working for John Lewis. The management team were great and very supportive. Lots of progression if you wish to work in the retail sector.
John Lewis was a great place to work and the people were lovely. I was there for nearly 5 years, but decided to change jobs as my face didn't fit in the management program. Working your way up is very slow unless you're happy to move to another branch around the UK. If you're looking for long term than this is a great job for you. With over 25 years service you will have a year's paid leave. The partnership does have a number of partner benefits and discounts. These have unfortunately been getting less and less over the years. Nice place to work depending on your manager.
Pros
You are a partner of the business
Cons
Pay was just above minimum wage for a complicated job
Good pension scheme and a good work life balance. Also discount from John Lewis and Waitrose after 3 months. Additionally they have a death in service scheme that pays 4 X your salary to your loved ones. Very people oriented compared to anywhere iv worked before.
Pros
Cheap food
Cons
Not many cons
Thankful to of worked @ John Lewis as a christmas Parter. We weren’t treated as second class. The teams were friendly and i assisted on the ground floor, gifts and decorations. I did cover other departments like the cafe and the tech sales floor when a rush came in. The canteen was amazing and i’d have a cooked lunch for less than £2.Great value so i’d eat there rather than at home. Even though i was a temp i was given holiday, So icould visit my parents over christmas as given time off.70 off us helped at christmas and were rewarded well. Only 5 positions were available in January. I really appreciated the oppertunity to work at such a high status store.
Pros
Team work makes the dream work
Cons
Rude customers... Just smile and ignor them