Johnson Matthey

Johnson Matthey Employee Reviews

United Kingdom98 reviews

pensionfreelunchshiftpoorlongmoneygood

Featured review

Johnson Matthey selected this as a representative review
Great place to work - very professional approach to the training and development of staff. Internal training and career progression. Multiple sites worldwide gives opportunities to develop.

Well they've finally broke me.

Note this day 13th July 2022. The company I enjoyed working for finally broke my spirit.Worked there for over 10 years in a dirty, dusty, dangerous environment. I had an accident and couldn't work. I don't get a bonus when everyone else does? Because I was too ill to work?

Insights into Johnson Matthey

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Support from manager

disgusting place

no need to say anything, work place horrible.people works like cliques. No one respects each other, management is the worst I have ever seen. Managers swears even to stuff daily basis.

Nice to work JM, Yo can most of your colleagues

Excellent to learn and new recipes, sharing new technologies and techniques, Environment and safety do care first. Training every and most of the time

Wouldn’t recommend to anyone.

Managers don’t care about their team, progressing you or pay. I had 1 tiny pay increase in 3 years and that’s only because I got a promotion, still then I had to ask for a pay rise.Awful experience, rude staff.

Buena tecnologia, persimos managers

Una empresa con impresionante historia y unas ambiciones muy interesantes (al menos oficialmente). Para bien y para mal: buena cultura de trabajo entre los cientificos, ingenieros y gente tecnica en general... pero con malisimos e incopetentes managers, todavia peor en las areas no tecnicas. La cultura de la empresa ha decaido enormemente en los 10+ años en los que he trabajado aqui: se premia mucho mas el "hablar bien y vender humo" que los buenos resultados y la excelencia. Esto se refleja en unos dirigentes vacios, falsos y muy poco inspiradores.

Dying Company

The company is falling apart. The bad investments recently made it really difficult to continue to work there. Managers are not dealing with their people properly. Redundancy processes are not dealt with the right manner and HR is ALWAYS under resourced.

Friendly, safe and collaborative place to work

Working at JM on a day to day basis in R&D is quite laid back as deadlines are generally soft and management tend to give plenty of freedom to operate independently. Everyone is very friendly and safety always comes first. Flexible working/ working from home is widely accepted. What is not so good is how difficult the company makes it to understand: 1) Where you sit in your global (pay) grade - they won't tell you and nobody understands why. It makes everyone think there's something unfair going on.2) It's extremely unclear how to get promoted. Bottom line is you probably need to move if you think you are outperforming your role.

Unhealthy culture

I worked there for 36 months finishing in April 2021 and for the most part it was very enjoyable but things changed drastically in the final year.I had an operation on my thumb which meant I was on the sick for at least 6 weeks but due to covid the manager wanted me back earlier which I refused. Things turned nasty from then on in with him saying in front of colleagues I wouldn't have got the job if it was anything to do with him.

Pros

Lots of benefits and great shift pattern.

Cons

Sleazy managers

Fair pay, but long hours and repetitive work.

Good place to work if you're and office worker. If you're in production it's a different matter. There is a distinct "them and us" attitude here and the ones doing the graft are the ones that get forgotten.Long hours, days, nights and weekends.

Pros

Free food, hot meals on days, fair pay and benefits.

Cons

Food on nights and weekends not really catered for, long shifts, unsociable hours, no real sense of belonging for production staff, temps rarely taken on.

Very repetatve. Long shifts that change weekly.

Can be very repetitive, very hot during the summer months.There is not much variation as a production op. Same thing hour after hour. Ok for a while but not something you'd want to do for years. If you're good at your job you WONT advance as you'll be required there. If you're not good at your job...you will not have it for long. Most people are friendly enough.

Pros

Free lunch. Not enough time to eat it.

Cons

Shifts that rotate. I believe they are moving to 12hour shifts. 4 on 3 off. Not for me.

Seems to be loosing its way

The company doesn't have any sure direction at the moment which is worrying for a FTSE100 company, The higher management within the company seem to be making poor strategic choices

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Shift patterns getting worse

Great people, poor management

Rewarding but tough work. Very collaborative, with lots of capable, nice people. Corporate culture is a bit excessive, stifles innovation. High turnover in lower level but not at higher/management level so not much opportunity for progression. Experience in job can vary significantly depending on manager.

Pros

'Free' canteen lunch, Decent benefits, Fantastic, helpful people in general

Cons

Some very poor management decisions, Too much attention paid to management consultants, Progression difficult, Executive level seems to be a revolving door

Team-work oriented job.

A 9-5 job starting focusing on attention to detail. I learned to manage my time well. Management is good. Workplace culture can be tough at times where you may find yourself doing someone else's job as well as yours. Hardest part is running advanced processes. Most enjoyable aspect of the job is being part of a team.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

No job security and a lot of favouritism

Worked here for 2 years in different departments and found that being good at your job didn’t matter as long as you got on with management. I started as an agency worker and was led to believe that a full time job was imminent, it wasn’t people had been agency 2+ years. Then I was offered a position in a different department but this was blocked by management in my department. I eventually moved to another department through a job interview, but this was short lived due to Covid. I then had an interview for another department which seemed like I was successful but somehow failed a nicotine test when I don’t smoke. But turns out the manager was the brother of one I had a word with about his attitude

Pros

Pay and Pension

Cons

Management, long hours and being treated like dirt

JM is a good place to work! Their benefits are the best, pension is unbelievable and the opportunity to learn and develop is amazing. I took a job that was probably a bit junior for me in hindsight and so I was a little bit bored and not challenged. Having said that though it was a really lovely place to work. Great leadership, great people, good products/services.

Pros

Benefits, free lunches, have money to do things well

Cons

None really

Learning experience

Overall the experience was OK, not very structure company and really set in their way.

Pros

Free canteen

Cons

Job structure

Horrible place to work

Felt like a prison .had to wear a pureflow helmet all day due to the dust .had to shower before leaving due to the filth just a nightmare place .the management treated operators with no respect .had to do 5 x12.5 hrs shifts .which killed me left after 18months in that time I'd had about 5 months of with stress

Pros

Free food which was cold or to spicy

Cons

Everything else

Great Company

I have worked for this company for over two years. I was told to only leave the company as of coronavirus. I enjoyed working here and it's a shame I had to leave.

Excellent

I have worked for this company for two years, this company was very flexible, and the team was very friendly. The company allows wants you to improve and get a promotion.

Pros

Free lunches

Lovely place

Lovely people here, always good to talk to and make your working day a lot brighter! Always things to do but not too much that you’re rushed off your feet.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Matthey. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement