Joseph Rowntree

United Kingdom30 reviews

Insights into Joseph Rowntree

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things

Caring employer

JRHT are a caring employer. They reward staff regularly, although not always addressing the issues of recruitment problems. The senior leadership are nice people and seem to care about the staff. It is hard work at the moment with everything going on, but they do acknowledge the efforts made by the staff. Some truly amazing people to work alongside.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Staffing shortages

Corrupt, incompetent, house of cards!

Where to start? Senior management are so detached from operations they constantly contradict each other so no meaningful decisions ever get made, there is a culture of blame, and staff are constantly confused and frustrated. You never saw the Chief Exec unless they were giving a pointless speech at a rare meeting (in the style of a politician) and got the impression they were using JRF as a stepping stone - and then they left, proving that point! Every single person senior to my role (all the way to Director level) left after a max of 18 months as they were frustrated with how incompetent the place is. They lose good staff at a rate I've never seen before as anyone with a brain leaves ASAP. Hard working ground support staff have no clear management as managers come in, see how bad it is, then leave (I saw one manager of a care home leave in under 3 months!).They care more about buzzwords like "diversity and inclusion" than employing people who can actually do the job, so the incompetence continues. Then they employ people on temp contracts which mean they're not there long enough to do what they were employed to do, which means there's a culture of blaming the person who left - even though they left because they only had a temp contract!Management are incompetent and only care about how they are perceived. Completely detached from reality. I thought JRF was a good name, but after working for them I see they're a house of cards that are corrupt, hypocritical and refuse to learn from their mistakes, so they make them over and over... I feel genuinely sorry for the wonderful -

Pros

Most of the support-level staff are nice

Cons

Low pay (compared to average for similar roles), terrible management, care more about appearance than doing a good job

Good company to work for

Over all it’s a good company to work for . The care team is brilliant and the management are doing their best to keep the clients and employees happy and satisfied. The home could do with some new decorations but I’ve understood that that’s the plan for the future

Pros

Night allowance, great benefit scheme, maternity leave similar to nhs

Cons

Carers don’t have their breaks paid, during night time you have to attend bungalows calls should someone need urgent care

Not a nice culture

If you want to work with a team that cares & supports you, this is NOT the place for you.Colleagues that will lie & set you up & constantly trying to get one up on you, especially if you’re knowledgeable & hard working.Manager is inept & out of his depth & will support & condone this behaviour from his select few of favourites. If your face doesn’t fit their culture then you’re out or made to jump after being made as uncomfortable as possible. Don’t try HR, they’ll just side with the lies of management.

Pros

Monday to Friday

Cons

Not Inclusive

Nice place to work but poor management

The staff you work on shift with are great and really help each other and are friendly. The management however are the opposite, good when you do what they want like picking up extra shifts and doing 50+ hours a week. But if you don’t they can be really negative towards you. Sickness is seen as a really bad thing even with a sick note and a valid reason and have a really strict policy resulting in written warnings. Senior staff have favourites and it’s obvious the way they treat people differently. The people you provide care for are great and that’s the main reason I stayed as long as I did. It’s a really hard review to write as so many positives but you are comparing it against the poor management is hard. The night rate isn’t great and has been lowered over the last year which isn’t great might as well work days and have a better work life balance.

Pros

Good health benefits, good pay.

Cons

Poor management! Low night work pay.

Appalling

Awful people specifically the dop dogs. They don't care about no-one. Not helpful at all and all out for them self's. Trying to look like they ARe doing there job ok

Pros

No pros

Cons

Bad bad bad

Brilliant place to work

Having worked at JRHT for a while now, I can confidently say it is the best organisation I've worked for. The staff benefits are brilliant. The HR department is innovative and forward thinking. The current management team are fantastic, I'm supported, appreciated and valued. Couldn't recommend working for JRHT more.

Gone down hill

Over the last year we have lost nearly all our good hard working loyal staff through management trying to save money changing contracts seniors having to apply for jobs again even managers have come and left the company using more agency staff than regular staff as they dont keep regular staff long now no thanks from management for all hard heavy work we do

Care centre

Management are amazing very understanding and are aiming in the right direction. Care staff on the floor need more structure and guidance as dont come across professional.

Pros

Cons

Care staff

Awful care services

Very old fashioned models of care - very autocratic and bullying leadership in ops and QA team - very oppressive practices observed and reported but no action taken.

Staff under valued. Bad management

I worked for this company for 10 years. The pay used to be good but there has been a drop in wages for some staff as they have lowered the night enhancement considerably. There is poor management and staff are treated differently depending on who they are. I would not recommend them to work for. It's very difficult to get anyone to listen to you if you gave any concerns and just an overall bad attitude towards staff from management

Pros

Healthcare scheme

Cons

Management don't listen. Bad treatment of staff

Reality does not match unfounded good reputation

Repeated management changes and restructures. Culture of fear and mistrust - very unhappy and stressed work force. High percentage of work induced stress, burnout and associated mental health problems amongst middle managers/service managers within Care Services Senior management does not understand or respect the roles of care staff. Some examples of excellent care and very dedicated care staff against the odds. Pay and benefits are good but there is so much more to life. I cannot understand how this organisation maintains its good public reputation when it does not practice what it preaches

Had to leave employment due to serious issue working in heatwave

I initially thought highly of this company with fantastic colleagues. Failed duty of care of staff welfare and wellbeing and breach of health and safety changed this leaving me and resulting in continuing health issues as initial first result of one single late shift in consistent 34 degree heat of national weather warnings and recorded as national day of highest temperature on record . No air conditioning systems or risk assessments or wellbeing plan put in place of this shift told by my manager "Nothing can be done because of the building" I am still suffering weeks later I Told by my manager

Previous employer..

Not very good, the managment leave the over staff to give the orders, while they cook.. They get feed back from everyone else and do not do this therselves, Unfortunately the workers want everything doing there way and you can not do anything your own way, thats why i left..... The care staff are very considerate and the residents friendly..

Used to be great

Used to be a brilliant company to work for. Great pay, good shift patterns and fair rotas. After a consultation period this all changed. I left in the end as I felt that they were treating the staff and residents unfairly and weren't willing to listen to any concerns.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Didn't listen to anyone's concerns

Bad place to work for your health

Worked at Rowntrees for 4 years and left with depression

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Not always team

There is not always team work or good communication. Staff cause an atmosphere when stressed out for no reason but overall the company is ok to work. You get good benefits and the rate of pay is more then the live in wages.

Benefits

Cons

Hours

Great training prospects/teamwork

I love my job and caring for the Elderly is very rewarding.I have worked for JRHT for 26 years, so that in itself speaks volumes about what the company is like to work for.

Pros

Training

Cons

Under staffed

Nice work partner

I work part time usually on the weekend from 4pm to 6:30pm. I work in this place through an agency (ADIA). Since Oct 2017, I had work there for more 50 hours.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

nothing

good

a good employer that's all i want to say.an excellent company but i now want to see if there any better opportunities out there as good as joseph Rowntree.

Difficult place to work.

Low staff numbers leading to constant rota changes and constantly being asked to put in more hours. Staff are hard working but management is very poor.

Pros

Cons

Constantly watching your back

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Joseph Rowntree. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement