Junior Jam logo
Junior Jam

Junior Jam

Junior Jam Employee Review

Sports Coach at Junior Jam

I have been working at Junior Jam for almost 12 months now , I am a Sports Coach based in a Primary School in Newcastle where I deliver PE and after school sports clubs.The equipment provided is fantastic and allows you to deliver a range of sports , improving the pupil’s experience of PE and School Sport. Everything is made easy with staff app available on your personal device which provides access to lesson plans and curriculum links , with flexibility to tweak the sessions to suit the participants ensuring the Learning Objectives are met.Being one or the only member based in The North East I do sometimes feel a little isolated as I don’t really know any of the other sports coaches etc, however I am always kept in the loop from management regarding updates , training etc so this is good. I do think this has forced me to take the responsibility of forming a closer relationship with my school and taking more ownership in my job role which I have enjoyed.It would be nice in the near future to receive an appraisal or have somebody assess my work during a lesson in order to gain feedback and improve in my job role , as well hopefully leading to pay rises, promotion etc in the future. Overall I would definitely recommend working with Junior Jam in what has been a rewarding experience.

5.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Sports coach delivering PPA cover

I’m a sports coach. I generally teach sports like football, cricket, boxercise, athletics, basketball and dodgeball. I’ve been at Junior Jam for around 4 years give or take a couple of months. I love working at the schools I’m at. It’s strange, as just before I started the job I thought I’d like working with the most talented kids, However the most rewarding part is seeing a child with no confidence or struggling to make friends and seeing them through sport, their confidence grow or them make friendships and as a result become happier. It’s a feeling money can’t buy. The training is generally good, you get to attend sessions ran by other coaches. So you can see how they go about it and pick up ideas, coaching techniques, discipline procedures etc... Also most coaches let you run part of a session, so you can get a taste of what it will be like when you are running the sessions yourself. The session plans are more than decent in theory but as schools have different facilities, children of the same age having differing abilities at different schools and the Equipment and support is fantastic, anybody working for Junior Jam will have no complaints in this department. I would say working for Junior Jam at different school has been my most enjoyable and rewarding job I have ever had. I regularly come away from sessions thinking I’m getting paid to have fun. I’d most definitely recommend working for Junior Jam. You get a good hourly rate to do a rewarding job.

Pros

Good pay for enjoyable job

Cons

Teaching pet outside in winter

Teaching made fun and easy!

I have been working with Junior Jam as a French Instructor since Sept 2019.It is always with pleasure that I go to allocated schools to teach my language ( I am French living in the UK and I don’t have opportunity to speak it often otherwise). For any topic to be taught, we are provided with very detailed lesson plans which are very easy to follow, full of ideas, plenty of games & songs, to be able to teach in a fun way ; moreover, I am given the opportunity & freedom to use my own ideas too, which is very helpful, especially for younger children, whom we need to keep focused through various means.Any question, clarification, concern or advise : I have always had a reply /an answer within couple of hours from the Management team.Lockdowns have not been easy for anyone... but after schools closure, Junior Jam Management have bounced back very efficiently & professionally, whether to understand and help employees’requirements to adjust such unusual situation, or, above all, to provide schools very quickly with “remote teaching” so that the learning keep going in the most “normal” way.Working with JJ also enables to maintain a good life balance : “home-time” for pupils is also my “home-time” which means I can go back to my family at reasonable hours... :)

Pros

Detailed lesson plans provided so any preparation for sessions is very straight forward and fun!

Cons

No mileage compensation for MFL staff, so if you are lucky to have various schools in different locations, it is a cost in petrol.

Great workplace with progression opportunities

I started working for Junior Jam as a music instructor, and I absolutely love that I was able to teach a subject that I really enjoy and am passionate about. I was worried about equipment, but the company actually gives you all the instruments and equipment, and if anything breaks you just let the office know and they just send you a new one.I was given a pay rise after 3 months of teaching here, and I have now progressed from being a member of the teaching staff to a junior manager. This means being responsible for a larger area, which can mean some long drives. Saying this, the office atmosphere is relaxed and i get paid for my mileage anyway! This started as a part time job, so I am very thankful I’ve been able to progress the way I have in such a short time. Overall, I really like working for Junior Jam, and I think its perfect for anyone just out of university who wants to get into teaching.

Pros

Work/Life balance, Benefits

Cons

Long drives as a manager