Kamsons Pharmacy
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Kamsons Pharmacy Employee Reviews

United Kingdom63 reviews

Overall lovely company to work for

Everyone is so lovely, and friendly from head office to management. Always help if needed and a chance for progressive roll. I didnt feel overall appreciated towards the end and after covid I was exhausted and the pay for the work we had endured wasn't enough to make me stay. I really did love where I worked and was sad to go but was definitely the best pharmacy company I think to work for.

Good place to train, but unfair

I was 20 when I started Kamsons and I was on the same wage as everyone else, until a few years later the government brought out the National Living Wage so I was then under everybody else’s pay, even though I was doing the same job. I asked for a pay rise they denied, until I found a new job they said they would match it to the other staff but I declined. Pharmacies are very important but at the current moment I wouldn’t advise anyone to work in any pharmacy, it’s horrendously busy.

Pros

Bank holiday & Sundays shut

Cons

Low pay, high responsibility

Insights into Kamsons Pharmacy

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager

Busy and stressful

I worked for this company for a number of years but in the end you had to be good friends with the management to be prompted further. It used to be very well run and personally I found the owners amazing but as they have grown the area managers changed and were not approachable if you had an issue

Excellent company

I have worked with Kamsons pharmacy since 10 years. Management support is one of the best in the industry, If you want to build your career this is the best company to work with. Excellent support from all the managing staff.

Decent company but underpaid

Overall experience with the people at Kamsons was good - I just feel that the job is underpaid and pharmacy teams are often understaffed, which explains the high turnover.As a driver there was quite a lot of pressure on you to deliver medicine without mistakes. Some days were relaxed, but it could be stressful when overloaded with deliveries. 45p a mile for fuel was good, but drivers are essentially working for minimum wage with no possibility of promotion.

Pros

Lovely staff & company meals

Cons

Repetitive work

Fast paced, great staff, stressful at times

I loved this job and learnt a lot during my time here but unfortunately the money just wasn't worth it for the stress I was under. Everyone was working extra hard during covid and it was such a stressful environment. The staff here deserve more credit and a pay rise.

Avoid this company

If you are the type of person to have an opinion or speak up when you feel something isn't right you will not last long in Kamsons. They like YES people. Different rules for different staff which makes for low morale. If your face fits and you put up and shut up you will be fine. Poor management, lazy management, no leadership, Management do not set a good example when they set rules but dont actually follow them themself, no duty of care when staff have health issues or personal issues. Pay doesn't reflect all the training one has to do. Our work load during the pandemic spiralled out of control due to the Gps not seeing patients but there was no gratuity for any of the staff. Morale is at an all time low currently. The area manager does not know what is going on in different pharmacies as alot of wrong doings are covered up in house.

Pros

Free uniform but not enough for a full time worker

Cons

Pay doesn't reflect the ongoing training

Do not work for this company.

Appalling management higher up, and one of the worst paying pharmacies as they do not keep up with the rate increases or review your pay. Some of the staff are expected to take on so much responsibilities while others get away with doing bare minimum which gets overlooked especially if they are favoured. Management do not listen to you or help with any issues which just leaves you feeling unsupported and worthless. Some stores are overstaffed leaving people to stand around doing nothing while other stores are under staffed and struggling with an extremely heavy workload. People are constantly being signed off work with stress from working in some of their stores, they have a high staff turn over because employees do not get valued or listened to.

Pros

Cons

Terrible pay rate, Inequality between genders, Work issues and complaints do not get addressed or resolved, Some awful pharmacists and managers, Lack of support, communication and organisation.

Fast paced and short staffed

Lack of staff makes it incredibly hard to do your job. Especially when some senior management disregard the amount of stress your branch is under.

Fast paced and innovative company

If you are looking for a fast paced and stimulating job- then the Kamsons Crawley shops are it. I have worked in Kamsons in South gate and in Broadfield a few times and these are 100% places i would go back to.Unlike other big companies, Kamsons is innovative and very forward thinking especially in its operations. They are always well staffed and always have the correct technology to make jobs and lives easier. I only managed to work at Broadfield for a short time and was impressed with how functional the team was and how collaborative all the Crawley shops were. You definitely feel like you are part of a wider community. Also I received support not only from head office- but also from Kamsons pharmacists working in the local area. Having someone in the same profession nearby to offer advice is really handy especially if you’re newly qualified. Additionally I had a very hands-on area manager who was easily contactable if there was any queries or issues and readily helped me solve them. With Kamsons, technical and managerial support are phone calls away and from my own experience, with other companies- this is never the case.I think as a pharmacist, it’s so easy to feel so isolated but with Kamsons you’re never really alone and you always have that support when needed.

Pros

Bonuses Mileage paid Locum pay on time Great staff

Cons

Long hours Some shops don’t have parking Disrance

Family run company, positive and uplifting environment

Worked at Kamsons as a pre registration pharmacist. Working at Kamsons pharmacy is an amazing learning experience and equips you with all the knowledge you need to know to manage a pharmacy and also be a successful pharmacist. I absolutely loved my team at Redhill and everyone is so hard-working and so supportive. Happy to have spent the year in a friendly and understanding environment especially in such a stressful year. My manager/tutors were fantastic and I received so much support from head office from first week tutorials and learning materials right until the exam.

Pros

Support Well staffed Great team

Cons

One of the best phamacy employers I’ve come across

Family owned company which is owned and run by pharmacists- so it has a strong professional ethos with a patient rather than a profit focus. I like the way that you are trusted and given autonomy to run the pharmacy as if it was your own but with good support from a senior pharmacist area manager if you need it. They invest in better staffing levels than most other pharmacy companies I see and there is low staff turnover. It makes such a difference to work in a pharmacy with a good atmosphere and well-trained staff.

Pros

Christmas bonus, generous bonus for flu vaccinations and NMS, pharmacy team bonus for going out with colleagues, decent pharmacist salaries

Cons

It’s a full-on day but does go quickly

No Headoffice support only criticism

Worked for the company for 12 years with absolutely no support from head office and management. No area manager to support for 18 years and finally when one is assigned would turn up at the pharmacy on my days off to basically intoregated staff about how the pharmacy was managed which made the collegues uneasy. In the end pharmacy staff (excluding some favourites) are just numbers. Ideas and suggestions to improve business were not good unless they originated from the previledged few at senior level. Staff turnover was mimimum but in the last 24months it is 90% at the branch should be an indication. Loyalty worked one way expected loyalty from staff but not reciprocated.

Pros

Ok if you are fine being just a number

Cons

Extra long hours

Brilliant teams but overall a poor picture

So I loved my team in the shop I worked at a lot. We all got on and they worked as hard as anyone to keep the place running smoothly. The problem with Kamsons is the management on all higher levels. Huge staff shortages meant the rest of us were often over worked, but no one seemed to ever question why people left so frequently in the first place. Pay was atrocious for the responsibility held, and progression only seems to be an option if you're in with the right crowd. A shame because on an in-store level the team really shined.

Brilliant company to work for

Kamsons is a fair and incentive employer to work for. I worked for this company for a short amount of time but during the time I was here I was treated with respect , acknowledged for my hard work and always felt as part of a team. Compared to many of the other pharmacies I’ve worked in - this is sure the best. Only downfall was the wage which is just under some of the higher chains but makes a difference.

Pros

Great management, team work, great people, well staffed

Cons

Low wage

wonderful staff

all of the staff at my branch and most of the staff across the company are friendly, helpful and a joy to be around. people really care about doing a good job and they care how their staff are doing. i actually got a couple weeks of real training on job start which makes all the difference

Good teamwork

I worked as a driver at Redhill, warlingham , wallington and Crystal palace and found everyone working as a team and extremely helpful, especially at Crystal Palace. It was only temporary and wouldn’t hesitate to work for kamsons again.

Pros

Good teamwork

Cons

Regional Management and up show disgusting attitude towards shop staff/Drivers

Inner shop staff are lovely. Real team effort. Upper management will push you out quickly if you raise any concerns. Patients are amazing and you genuinely care for them outside of work hoping to see that bright smile the next week. The patients 9/10 truly care about you too which is a lovely thing!I thought the company was brilliant for the majority of my time there. Regional management, at least in my area, was a rotten egg.

Pros

Get paid for every minute of over-time worked, Use of the delivery car to and from home as long as you live quite close to store, Great inner shop staff commaraderie, Patients are 99% fantastic and most really care about you too, The MDs seem like nice people.

Cons

No breaks, No confidence from regional/upper management as soon as car receives damage-the blame is yours, Terrible pay, They will keep drivers longer if they pay more than minimum wage, Since Covid they have worked drivers to the bone.

Great, If your a worker

I've worked a few different jobs, I enjoyed Kamsons, make sure you bond with the team after all you spend most of your day with these people. We had a great team in our branch. It can be a stressful job, you must be resilient. Customers will have a go in any retail setting but you also get to know your regulars which is lovely. I had the opportunity of working in a variety of stores and always slotted nicely into the teams. It's a lot to learn, if you're new to pharmacy so pay attention and be keen. Work hard.

Pros

Great teams, support, great patients/customers

Cons

Minimum wage, set hours

Thinking of joining Kamsons? Read this first.

An extremely high turnover of staff across all 70+ shops, which makes sense given how poorly the company treats their staff. The operational managers have no respect for any staff except managers or assistant managers; exhibiting favouritism towards their own pre-registration pharmacists instead of competent and loyal relief/locum pharmacists, where we are treated like doormats or viewed merely as a convenience for covering holiday or sick days. Having said all of this, this is all natural given that bigger companies like Boots, Lloyds, Well, etc. operate in the exact same manner so this is no big surprise. But if you want to truly develop yourself in this field of profession, I would highly suggest you not to choose Kamsons as it is a toxic and non-rewarding company to work for.

Incompetent management

Manager is rude, unhelpful, lazy, has no empathy for the customers and she is the Pharmacist ! Very much 'if your face fits' environment .. have an opinion and a personality you are treated with contempt... are a bland robot suck-up you are valued! Both Manager and Area Manager admit to not having any management training = Company incompetence.Worst working experience ever. Long hours: Terrible pay: No training: Treated and spoken to badly.Rated out of 10? -11. Totally awful place.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kamsons Pharmacy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement