KENT COUNTY COUNCIL
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

KENT COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom210 reviews

Stressful but rewarding

Depending on the team you work with it can be enjoyable and rewarding. Pay is poor in comparison to working in Aldi for example. For a job where you are dealing with the wellbeing of children, it isn’t well paid

funplace to work

good team work across all departments, supportive management. clear instruction of job but can use your own inititive. Given a reasonable amount of responsibilityas long as you feel ready.

Pros

free lunch/tea

Insights into KENT COUNTY COUNCIL

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks

Good team but poor management

There are a great group of people working for KCC however they are greatly let down by the management team and the high staff turnover is extremely reflective of this.

Pros

Allocated parking

Cons

Poor management, lack of room for progression

awful management

I worked with good collegues and job was very enjoyable until management change.When this happened everything changed even the job role. No support, no health and wellbeing mentioned and constant nit picking to get rid of people who,s face no longer fitted even if they had been working for the company for years. The work was enjoyable meeting service users and promoting their independence and seeing them get back meeting their goals. This was very satisfying

Pros

good collegues, very rewarding working with service users

Cons

increased work load, constant change of job description at drop of a hat, awful management

Pressurised but fulfilling workplace

There are pressures which is to be expected in public services but the work is fulfilling if you want to help people. Flexible working and WFH encouraged. Type of work to the pay is not as good as private sector. Can be difficult to progress.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Public sector pay

Committed to the public good

Have been an interim Public Health consultant with KCC for the past six months. Pay is modest to say the best, but the working conditions - remote - and the commitment of the team to doing public good are distinct positives.

Unsupportive and Overworked

KCC overworks their social workers to the point they are unable to keep enough staff on and have to rely on agency social workers who are paid much more than employees, which is annoying when you’re being worked to the bone. Have to take work home with you in order to stay on top of it. Bullying and unsupported by management was the norm for me, which is why I ended up going on stress leave and eventually quitting. Although I haven’t been there in 11 years, I have a close friend who is still a social worker in Children’s Services and nothing has changed. If I could give 0 Stars, I would.

Pros

Company car

Cons

Overworked and underpaid

High pressure due to the nature of the job

The day to day of the work varies, I learned a lot about working individually as quite a lot of the time the manager would not give me the help that I felt was necessary, I feel that it would of been better if the way in which it was ran was a more quality rather than quantity based system.

Pros

High level of job satisfaction when you help people

28 June 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and are glad you found a high level of job satisfaction whilst working at KCC. We are sorry your view is that there is some room for improvement but please be assured that we are listening. We welcome feedback and thank you for your comments.

Productive workplace

Good place to work, mainly working from home but still able to work from office when needed. Good team support. Long hours and lots of work but very rewarding.

Pros

Good team mates

Cons

Long hours and stressful

28 June 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and are glad you find KCC a supportive and rewarding place to work. We welcome feedback and thank you for your comments.

Very stressful environment to work in

The job itself was really fun but the management at KCC is quite terrible and unsupportive. You’re almost left to figure out the new role on your own. The culture in KCC adopts an approach where you’re just expected to know the tasks required to do without any experience whatsoever.

Pros

Salaries are not bad

Cons

Toxic environment to work in

16 February 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and are glad you found the job fun and the salary competitive. However, we are saddened to hear you feel you were not supported during your time at KCC. At KCC we are committed to developing and supporting our staff to excel in their chosen career path. Our Good conversation tool enables managers to hold regular and effective 1:1s with their staff allowing managers to recognise where any additional support and training maybe required. I am so sorry this was not your experience and thank you for feeding back, please be assured we are listening.

Fast paced role with a great team

At times the work can be unmanageable and very completed. There doesn't seem to be correct sorting of cases when management allocate to bothe qualified and unqualified staff. There is not much support with the role accept from front line staff who are always happy to help and I must stress, take notes of thr processes. It is not all bad, the staff are dedicated and do what they can, however, this is not recognised in the pay. For the job expected certainly doesn't reflect on the pay. Even with all of the above, I did enjoy my role on the most part. KCC need more qualified social workers that understand the role more than graduates that have transitioned across. This would solve the allocation of cases issue and have more specific knowledge for the job.

Pros

Great team, fun environment (when in the offices), driving to visits, paid mileage.

Cons

Constabtly sast paced, complex work, no allocation of work process.

6 January 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review, and are glad you enjoyed your role at KCC and working with your team . Thank you for your feedback regarding work processes, we are sorry your view is that there is some room for improvement but please be assured that we are listening.

Tense environment to work... Stressful Management

Some managers at day services has problems of communication and micro manage staff. Stress your life out and call you 24/7, even on your days off and weekends that you not working. Sometimes will use unknown number and thier landlines to chase you if you don't pick calls. Its all crazy there.

Pros

Poor management

Cons

24/7 Stress

5 January 2022
Thank you for your review, we are saddened to hear that you felt the communication style of managers caused you stress whilst working for us. Our Good Conversations tool ensures managers and staff have the structure in place to hold regular and effective 1:1s to give our staff the opportunity to feedback and identify any support required from managers. I am so sorry this was not your experience and thank you for feeding back, please be assured we are listening.

Productive and fun work place

Colleagues are very friendly and supportive. Teams are like family together. Work is stressful but some managers are very supportive. My team is a great team with a fabulous bunch of professionals. Diversity and inclusion are celebrated.

Pros

A good place to work

Cons

Salary not commensute with job role

5 January 2022
Thank you for the 5-star review, we are pleased you find KCC a supportive place to work and enjoy working with your team.

Great place to work.

Hard work but a great place to work. I learnt so much throughout my employment. There’s a lot of mandatory training that has to be completed at regular intervals, understandably this is for the job you’re doing and to do with Health and Safety guidelines, Data Protection and Safeguarding when applicable. Importantly you also need to read all the KCC policies and adhere to them.The most enjoyable part of my job was making a difference for families.I don’t think there was any parts of my job which was really to hard.If you’re young and ambitious you can work your way up to further your career. You will need to flexible, adaptable and multitask but also be a good team player.

Pros

Good pay and progression if you want it.

Cons

Work/Life balance.

5 January 2022
Thank you for your excellent review, we are pleased your experience of us as an employer is a positive one and and we thank you for the time taken to leave a review.

Stressful role but colleagues are generally what keeps me going

Children’s services is extremely stressful and the role of social worker is not one I’d recommend anyone undertake. However, of all the local authorities I’ve worked, Kent is by far the best and the one I’d be most likely to remain with until retirement if I can manage not to burn out. The progression process, however, is time consuming and frustrating and I feel that there are elements of favouritism which mean certain people make quick progression while others sit on a lower grade for years. Reasonable benefits though as retention payment for frontline staff does help incentivise to some extent. Like all local authorities however there is difficulty recruiting and the salary doesn’t match the level of responsibility and risk/

Pros

Sense of belonging some workplace incentives

Cons

Stressful role

6 October 2021
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback and are pleased that you have found KCC to be the best local authority to practice Social Work. We are saddened to hear you have found the progression process to be frustrating and are sorry your view is that there is some room for improvement but please be assured that we are listening.

Productive and good support

Loved working for kcc my line manager was very good and akways supported me.He is now retired and know longer at kccGood bunch of fellow workers,always helping each other out.

Pros

Good pension and many benefits

2 August 2021
Thank you for your 5 star review, we are glad you enjoyed your time at KCC and found your line manager and colleagues to be supportive.

Libraries

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with KCC and sad that I had to leave due to relocation. the team in Dover were like a big family and everyone pulled together during the covid 19 changes. I did experience a period of stress with my work load, and disturbance with one manager to the point it needed a mediation meeting. I was then taken on by a different line manager who could not have done more to help you. very supportive kind and dedicated after this change I thrived in the work and enjoyed doing it much more with the team rather than struggling alone. I will miss working there and would recommend to anyone considering a role with KCC.

Pros

Good management, Problem resolution, family-like environment, Hours and career progression, flexible rotas, good annual leave co-ordination. job security and satisfaction.

Cons

Sometimes some customers as anywhere can be very aggressive, can be daunting to those of quieter personalities if alone on a service point, the current covid one way does cause a lot of upset to customers but bear with it.

1 July 2021
Thank you for your 5 star review, we are glad overall you enjoyed your time at KCC and found the organisation to be supportive. We wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours!

Good, flexible employer

Great employer if you have family commitments. Good work colleagues. Had many happy years there. Great line manager and colleagues. On-site parking for staff. Good pension scheme.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Not enough opportunities to advance

26 May 2021
Thank you for the 5 star review, we are pleased you find us to be a good and flexible employer and enjoy a great relationship with your line manager and work colleagues.

Hard work but supportive environment

The job is hard work but that’s the nature of the role. I work in north Kent and find management very supportive , friendly and approachable. If you work hard then you will be supported to progress , which I also like.

6 April 2021
We appreciate your valuable feedback and are pleased you feel supported in your role. Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts.

Rewarding and Valued

I have never worked in the public sector directly because I thought petty bureaucracy and old fashioned ways of working would be the order of the working day. In hindsight there is truth in this at KCC but compared to the competive private sector (which I have worked in nearly 20 years) I am biased. I took a role in ASCH during the pandemic when I was made redundant in the catering and hospitality sector. I knew that the pandemic would cause many private sector industries to fall on their knees. So, looking for job security I made the decision to approach KCC with the agenda that I could start a new career within a sector 'safer then most'.I have been pleasantly surprised how much I love working here. The conversation is caring, person centered and supporting all. I have been taken back by the efforts put in to develop the workforce and promoting reflective discussions. A few years ago I would have backhanded this enthusiasm with a jaded laugh. But since the pandemic it has been soothing to know companies do care about their workforce.I won't lie the salary is dreadful and some people seem a bit obsessed with a 'KR culture' it becomes a bit boring when someone goes on about their KR grade. But it's only a few I have come across who brow beat others with their hierarchy. Somethings are very old fashioned but I guess the public sector can't afford to be too forward thinking.I have been supported by senior managers who are utterly inspiring and have real on the ground social work careers. It's early days here for me and so far have loved getting to meet (only remotely) -

Pros

Great Senior Managers, Career Development, Support if you ask for it

Cons

Salary, Old fashioned ways, Sometimes too much lip service

6 April 2021
Thank you for the 5 star review, we are pleased you are enjoying your first role in the public sector and are enjoying our people centered approach.

Supportive place to work with opportunities to progress

I started at KCC during the first lockdown in March, I was very worried about starting in a new role whilst working from home and without meeting my colleagues. However I found the team and organisation to be very supportive! I was able to settle in quickly, with the help of my allocated buddy and mentor and I feel I have been able to develop great relationships across the business despite only meeting people virtually!During my short time at KCC I have worked on a various projects and have been able to develop my knowledge and enhance my skill set in my field. I think the best thing about working at KCC is the variety in the work that you do which you wouldn't necessarily get at other organisations.

Pros

Flexible working, good work life balance, great pension and supportive management

12 January 2021
Thank you for a glowing review - we are pleased your experience of us as an employer is a positive one and you have felt supported by your colleagues and manager in your new role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KENT COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement