KENT COUNTY COUNCIL logo
KENT COUNTY COUNCIL

KENT COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Flexible, enjoyable, secure environment but lack of financial benefits

Working for KCC is very enjoyable. Everyone works as a team, and it has a great home/work balance. There is opportunity to progress if you apply for it. However, being in the public sector, salary is a little less than expected. No other financial benefits or rewards. No opportunity for pay rises.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Salary

14 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to feedback and we are so glad that you enjoy the work/life balance as the wellbeing of our staff is really important to us. It is surprising to hear that you feel the financial aspects of our benefits are lacking, the contribution our employees make to the organisation is recognised and rewarded financially on an annual basis in our Total Contribution Pay process.

Libraries

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with KCC and sad that I had to leave due to relocation. the team in Dover were like a big family and everyone pulled together during the covid 19 changes. I did experience a period of stress with my work load, and disturbance with one manager to the point it needed a mediation meeting. I was then taken on by a different line manager who could not have done more to help you. very supportive kind and dedicated after this change I thrived in the work and enjoyed doing it much more with the team rather than struggling alone. I will miss working there and would recommend to anyone considering a role with KCC.

Pros

Good management, Problem resolution, family-like environment, Hours and career progression, flexible rotas, good annual leave co-ordination. job security and satisfaction.

Cons

Sometimes some customers as anywhere can be very aggressive, can be daunting to those of quieter personalities if alone on a service point, the current covid one way does cause a lot of upset to customers but bear with it.

Good, flexible employer

Great employer if you have family commitments. Good work colleagues. Had many happy years there. Great line manager and colleagues. On-site parking for staff. Good pension scheme.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Not enough opportunities to advance

26 May 2021
Thank you for the 5 star review, we are pleased you find us to be a good and flexible employer and enjoy a great relationship with your line manager and work colleagues.

Hard work but supportive environment

The job is hard work but that’s the nature of the role. I work in north Kent and find management very supportive , friendly and approachable. If you work hard then you will be supported to progress , which I also like.

6 April 2021
We appreciate your valuable feedback and are pleased you feel supported in your role. Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts.

Rewarding and Valued

I have never worked in the public sector directly because I thought petty bureaucracy and old fashioned ways of working would be the order of the working day. In hindsight there is truth in this at KCC but compared to the competive private sector (which I have worked in nearly 20 years) I am biased. I took a role in ASCH during the pandemic when I was made redundant in the catering and hospitality sector. I knew that the pandemic would cause many private sector industries to fall on their knees. So, looking for job security I made the decision to approach KCC with the agenda that I could start a new career within a sector 'safer then most'.I have been pleasantly surprised how much I love working here. The conversation is caring, person centered and supporting all. I have been taken back by the efforts put in to develop the workforce and promoting reflective discussions. A few years ago I would have backhanded this enthusiasm with a jaded laugh. But since the pandemic it has been soothing to know companies do care about their workforce.I won't lie the salary is dreadful and some people seem a bit obsessed with a 'KR culture' it becomes a bit boring when someone goes on about their KR grade. But it's only a few I have come across who brow beat others with their hierarchy. Somethings are very old fashioned but I guess the public sector can't afford to be too forward thinking.I have been supported by senior managers who are utterly inspiring and have real on the ground social work careers. It's early days here for me and so far have loved getting to meet (only remotely) -

Pros

Great Senior Managers, Career Development, Support if you ask for it

Cons

Salary, Old fashioned ways, Sometimes too much lip service

6 April 2021
Thank you for the 5 star review, we are pleased you are enjoying your first role in the public sector and are enjoying our people centered approach.

Supportive place to work with opportunities to progress

I started at KCC during the first lockdown in March, I was very worried about starting in a new role whilst working from home and without meeting my colleagues. However I found the team and organisation to be very supportive! I was able to settle in quickly, with the help of my allocated buddy and mentor and I feel I have been able to develop great relationships across the business despite only meeting people virtually!During my short time at KCC I have worked on a various projects and have been able to develop my knowledge and enhance my skill set in my field. I think the best thing about working at KCC is the variety in the work that you do which you wouldn't necessarily get at other organisations.

Pros

Flexible working, good work life balance, great pension and supportive management

12 January 2021
Thank you for a glowing review - we are pleased your experience of us as an employer is a positive one and you have felt supported by your colleagues and manager in your new role.

Poor Salary

Poor upper management.Low level workers do majority of the important stuff and get paid pittance.Did not feel respected by senior colleagues. So many department realignments staff feel as if they are disposable.No opportunity to progress.

Pros

Work is so diverse you get what you can experience wise andmove on

Cons

Dont even provide refreshments to staff, no parking at any sites barely unless your managment (who usually remotely work anyways)

4 January 2021
We appreciate your feedback and are sorry your view is that there is some room for improvement but please be assured that we are listening.

Fantastic place to work

Everything from the interview, through the training and the support received by my supervisorwas brilliant. An incredible team to work with, all the girls support eachother and are brilliant at their job!

Pros

Training, support and great team

Cons

Alot of driving

2 November 2020
It is lovely to hear of the great experience you have had, appreciate you taking the time to leave your thoughts.

Enjoyable and good place to work for career progression

Other members of my team are very supportive. The work is interesting and varied, and I am given the appropriate tools to carry out the job effectively.

Pros

Opportunities for career progression

14 September 2020
We appreciate your valuable feedback and are pleased you find the work interesting and varied whilst being supported at work.

Great Career Deveopment and Support

I work within a function of truly knowledgable and credible professionals in my field. I have learnt so much and developed a good career with supportive team and managers. Benefits and pay is good for my level and profession, with added bonus of trust and flexibility in working which means I have a far better work life balance than I would anywhere else. The organisation has progressed so much in recent years to a much more commercially-minded organisation, and welcomes innovation. It is truly an interesting place to work, with appropriate level of job challenge.

Pros

Good work-life balance, good annual leave entitlement, supportive environment, career opportunities

Cons

Governance/Decision-making can be slow

14 September 2020
Your feedback is appreciated and we are glad that you have been able to find so many positives in working for the organisation, thank you.

Jobs at KENT COUNTY COUNCIL

See more jobs

n/a

I'm not interested in writing a review There is no typical day I learn in whatever I do my managers are good We are all supportive of each other Answering unnecessary questions

14 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a star rating and it is good to hear that you have support and new learning.

college

i have worked for them since 2009 they have good points and bad points and feel they need to train the management on people skills a bit more and they would do well if they provide a new manager in a setting with a manager that is trianed in the role to the correct level and not just someone to fill the space.

13 October 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. It is great to hear you see our good points and we always welcome constructive feedback too. Every manager at KCC completes our 'Kent Manager' training programme, so please rest assured that they are all fully trained for the role.

would not recommend

would not recommend working for KCC as their management interpretation of procedures is not as they are written. Low morale amongst team members and not easy to approach management over important issues.

Pros

Good pension scheme

Cons

unfairly treated by management

13 October 2020

Good work/life balance but poor management

Management is poor with a strong lack of planning. Whilst understanding of work/life balance is afforded to all employees and the ability to work from home is provided, the support in work activities is severely lacking and management consistently get team structures wrong.

We were touped over to a company y called and the working culture . A very nasty atmosphere developed.

I worked at KCC in what l thought was the public sector, but after being touped over to another company it smore like the private sector. The work is more or less the same if your face fits, or if you can perhaps sleep with your boss. Best to just leave and go look for a better job .

Good workplace

This is a good work place to learn in depth knowledge about developmental stages of children and how to support children who are non-verbal to learn new skills.

A culture of promoting idiots

Suck up to managers and you’ll get to be one yourself. Flirt with elderly male Council Members (if you’re female) - and you’ll do just fine. A Commissioning Manager proudly announced to staff that she wears short skirts and high heels to meet Members ‘because they expect it’. An unsupportive, bullying environment with no care or concern about the high staff turnover at officer level. Getting out was the best career move I ever made!

comfertable?

Although the management and processing within departments are truly well planned There are many factors of the team that seem to be catty towards each other, in regards to the females which affect the work rate and emotions of those within the radius, as a male I was a victim of this in a sense.

Supportive and exciting place to work

Supportive management with the same policies across all departments. Training opportunities and 360 degree reviews. Limited parking provided but friendly offices, usually within easy public transport links.

Productive and efficient

I work as a Cycling Instructor so am mostly independent.Best part of the job is working with Children.Worst part of the job is dealing with the weather.

Not just about books

Varied each day, customers would some times come in for advice , very rewarding when you could help them get a positive outcome . My work colleagues were great to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KENT COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement