Kier Group
Happiness score is 62 out of 100

Kier Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom667 reviews

organisationprogressionwhilstrubbishrolesitecontractconstruction

Relaxed, good place to work

Great company to work for with great people. They offer flexible working which they trust their employees. In terms of work you learn a lot and great company to develop your skills.

21 September 2022
Great review! Thanks for your feedback, we're pleased to see you enjoyed your time with us and valued the trust in working in a way that suits you and took full advantage of the progression opportunities available to you.We wish you all the best in your new opportunity!

Excellent Company to work for (Kier Highways)

One of, if not the best, teams I have ever worked for. The Highways team are well led and are truly a team with plent of interaction and social events. The Management fully participate and support the works teams with plenty of mentoring. Its just a pity that Northampton decided to split the County into two unitaries thus splitting the team.

Pros

Good workplace, great team work

Cons

Depot buildings were dated but ok to work in.

Insights into Kier Group

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Ability to learn new things

Good Culture, Productive, good Environment

Kier is a reputable and forward-thinking company that is consistently working to enhance the quality of the services they provide to its customers. They are always giving staff members new information and updates in order to guarantee that everyone is always up to date. Additionally, health and safety is one of their top objectives, and as a result, frequent training is offered to ensure that those responsible for it have the appropriate education and a knowledge of the obligations that fall under their purview. The employees particularly like the diversity that the position provides, such as the opportunity to engage with a range of stakeholders and in a number of places.

Pros

car benefits, fresh environment

Cons

Too much work

21 September 2022
Thank you for the review! It's great to see you're enjoying your time with us. Keeping our employees physically and mentally safe is really important to Kier, and we work hard to ensure our employees feel safe at work and it's great to see you have identified this and appreciate it.We also love that you have taken full advantage of the diversity in roles that Kier can provide, and have got involved in areas outside of your day to day too.

To many think they are management

To many think they are management. Very high turnover in staff. Not appreciated/ concerns not actioned . Friends of ppl who work there stand better chance of being employed. Blame culture.

Enjoyable at times

Senior management were really nice. Admin management sadly has a lot to answer to. If you didn't have a family member there or your face didn't fit, your cards were marked. Sadly the higher management don't see this. It was very sad when redundancies had to be made, but yet again if you weren't related to someone your job wasn't safe.

21 September 2022
Thank you for your comments. We're sorry to see that your experience at Kier wasn't all positive.Your comments are useful for us to improve, and the culture you have described is not one we condone. We would be grateful if you could provide further details about your experience via our Speak Up Helpline: 0800 915 1571. This is a confidential helpline available to all current and former employees. We wish you all the best in your new opportunity.

busy

the company is becoming busier over the next five years and has big tasks ahead. there is plenty of opportunity over many divisions and projects covering all of the British isles

Pros

company benefits

Cons

long unrecognised hours and comittments

8 July 2022
Thank you for your review! We've definitely got a lot planned over the next few years with our £8.5bn orderbook and it's great to see you're taking full advantage of the opportunities these projects offer you.We're also pleased to see you love the benefits on offer! We're particularly proud of our benefits package so thank you for sharing.Your comments around working long hours are concerning and we would strongly urge you to speak to your line manager and/or HR business partner about your workload to see how we can better support you.

Great wor and management

Management was helpful and kind. Colleagues were friendly and always there to help but I feel like the salary didn't match the responsibility of the job

8 July 2022
Thank you for the lovely review! It's great to see you enjoyed your time with us and felt supported by management and colleagues.We're sorry you felt that the salary was not quite right, we would encourage any current employees who feel this way to speak to their line managers.

Productive and amiable culture

Management trusted those in place to do their job and allowed them to get on with it as long as they were successfulVery supportive and the SHEQ culture was that of assistance rather than empire building

Pros

Good atmosphere and structure

Cons

Very busy

8 July 2022
Thanks for the review! We are pleased to see that you felt trusted to get on with your work in whatever way suits you, we have definitely noticed this approach has a fantastic impact on productivity and employee wellbeing. It's also fantastic to see that you got on well with your colleagues - the people around you really can make all the difference in a job!We wish you all the best in your new opportunity :)

Poor Management

If you have hi standards and want to progress I would avoid Kier and look elsewhere for employment. Working hard, obtaining knowledge and a wealth of experience as well as smashing targets does not pay off if your face doesn't fit with management. Lots of gossiping and backstabbing environment, management included in this. Mental Health and Whistleblowing is often used and abused by staff to gain own advantages. No support from management. Half of them dont know how to do the job themsleves so will often off load onto you to do. The role is easy, no skill set is required, if you can switch on a monitor and pick up a phone you're in. Kier do not have a good reputation locally and certainly not a company that you would be proud to say you work for. I was advised to avoid and steer clear but believed in own judgement. I wish I had listened.

Pros

Salary ok for what you do

Cons

Poor Management

Productive and fun

I enjoyed my time at kiers as a reactive plumber working on the housing association contract.I like that you are on the move and very customer faced.

Knightmare place

Avoid like the plaque no work life balance management don't know anything about the work everything is put on to the workers and skilled gas engineers working in belfast for minimum wage

Pros

Cons

Long hours treat like sh#t

A mixed bag. A busy place to work, long hours and no work life balance, but money was great!

A very mixed bag. Good staff and good environment most of the time, but very long hours and no real work-life balance.Pay was good for the work undertaken, but it was absolutely to the detriment of having any sort of social or family life for more than 1 meaningful day of the week.Management were decent, a bit hard headed at times but in the main they were there to assist us out on the field.Decent place to work.

Pros

Good pay good staff and colleagues.

Cons

Long long hours. No social or family life.

Fast going

If u like money and don’t mind putting the work in then this might be the company u need to work for. Plenty of rewards for those who enjoy a bit of graft.

Financially stretched and Politics

I worked for Kier years. Over years seen how company changed from a cash rich company to debt mountain. With that debt mountain Kier became a different work environment. I have nothing against Kier and I learned so much things. There are lot of people work years like 20-30 year service to company. Buy now once that large company has reduced to a fraction of its glory before.I have seen several round of redundancies, workers non stop especially those close to retirement saying "I have had enough of this now" . Kier is a highly political place to work. Their directors usually roam on projects and bashing workers just for their survival. Lot of people work at Kier because they either don't know there are great companies out there or they don't want the hassle of changing the job and want to see the retirement.I'd regard Kier as a tired place to work, with lot of politics, stress, disorganised, stretched financially & uncertainty. Sometime I feel working for Kier as old school like local council office.Saying all this If someone is starting work it doesn't matter any of these much.These information may surprise lot of people who are outside to Kier. It is because Kier spend lot of money for PR and paint a Rosy picture about the company. I hope Kier will transform in to its old days

Nice atmosphere, low pay

The people at this company are great. It’s a nice relaxed atmosphere and no micromanaging in my experience. It’s somewhat disorganised but well meaning. They are a successful global company but their pay is abysmal and in no way keeps up with inflation and must be addressed. Flexible working hours and good/standard benefits for employees.

7 June 2022
Thanks for your feedback! It's great to read that you're enjoying your time with us and appreciate the freedom to do your job well. At Kier, we are proud to be a Real Living Wage employer but we would encourage you to speak to your manager about your pay if you do not feel it matches the responsibilities you hold.

Decent coworkers.

To many chiefs, not enough indians.A lot of threats comming from people who really need a phihological evaluation. A lot of people milking Kier for their own benefit.

Was okay ish, depends on who your manager is

Was OK I guess but depends on who manager is. Can be a bit un organised at times. Projects are great, really good work balance. Also company was flexible with working from home and that was great

Pros

Holiday pay

4 May 2022
Thank you for your review! It's great to see that overall you enjoyed your time with us and appreciated the agile working we were able to offer you. We are sorry to hear that there were some issues with your manager and we would encourage you to speak to our confidential Speak Up Helpline: 0800 915 1571 which is still available to you as a former employee. We wish you all the best in your new opportunity!

I've learnt a lot about how a business like Kier works in my time here, people are welcoming, friendly and always willing to help. I can see opportunity for career progression here although things can be a little slow due to budget restrictions which seems to be a running theme in most departments.

4 May 2022
Thanks for your review! We're pleased to see that your team have been welcoming and helpful, even better that you can already see a long future at Kier.

Great company to work for

Excellent company to work for Lots of different projects going on Great chance to switch to different projects Learnt alot when reflecting on everything but this depends on who your working with.

Pros

Good work benefits, good holiday pay

11 April 2022
Thanks for the review! It's fantastic to see that you enjoyed your time at Kier, it sounds like you really learnt a lot in your time with us and we hope you've been able to apply this knowledge in your future opportunities.You're right about hours, some roles may require longer working hours but at Kier we value the importance of a healthy work-life balance and we would encourage current employees to talk to their line manager or HR Business Partner about any flexibility should they find themselves struggling with the hours.

Worst place ever

The workers are worked to the bone, it’s discusting working conditions long hours and little respect for employees most of all I felt out of place and rejected by everyone in the work place

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Bad working conditions and long hours

29 March 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience, we are sorry to see that this was your experience at Kier, we take this very seriously and we would appreciate it if you could get in touch with us and offer more details of your experiences so we can investigate. Please contact Nerida Rooney nerida.rooney@kier.co.uk or contact our confidential Speak Up helpline at 0800 915 1571 - this service is still available to you as a former employee.

Terrible staff

I started as a domestic at Hinchingbrook..The staff are horrible and very clickey with each other .They don’t like new people on their team it’s very difficult to fit in . No breaks even in twelve hours,over worked and everything is expected to be done at a high standard.Stay clear if you want to save your well being.. However the porting team always seemed supportive.

29 March 2022
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to see that this was your experience whilst working for Kier and we take your concerns extremely seriously. We would appreciate it if you could get in touch with more information about your experience so we can investigate. Please contact Nerida Rooney nerida.rooney@kier.co.uk or our confidential Speak Up helpline at 0800 915 1571 - this service is still available to you as a former employee.We would encourage any current employees feeling the same way to speak to their HR Business Partner or reach out to the Speak Up helpline also so we can resolve.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kier Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement