Kier Group
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

Kier Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom654 reviews

Nice atmosphere, low pay

The people at this company are great. It’s a nice relaxed atmosphere and no micromanaging in my experience. It’s somewhat disorganised but well meaning. They are a successful global company but their pay is abysmal and in no way keeps up with inflation and must be addressed. Flexible working hours and good/standard benefits for employees.

Decent coworkers.

To many chiefs, not enough indians.A lot of threats comming from people who really need a phihological evaluation. A lot of people milking Kier for their own benefit.

Insights into Kier Group

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Was okay ish, depends on who your manager is

Was OK I guess but depends on who manager is. Can be a bit un organised at times. Projects are great, really good work balance. Also company was flexible with working from home and that was great

Pros

Holiday pay

4 May 2022
Thank you for your review! It's great to see that overall you enjoyed your time with us and appreciated the agile working we were able to offer you. We are sorry to hear that there were some issues with your manager and we would encourage you to speak to our confidential Speak Up Helpline: 0800 915 1571 which is still available to you as a former employee. We wish you all the best in your new opportunity!

I've learnt a lot about how a business like Kier works in my time here, people are welcoming, friendly and always willing to help. I can see opportunity for career progression here although things can be a little slow due to budget restrictions which seems to be a running theme in most departments.

4 May 2022
Thanks for your review! We're pleased to see that your team have been welcoming and helpful, even better that you can already see a long future at Kier.

Great company to work for

Excellent company to work for Lots of different projects going on Great chance to switch to different projects Learnt alot when reflecting on everything but this depends on who your working with.

Pros

Good work benefits, good holiday pay

11 April 2022
Thanks for the review! It's fantastic to see that you enjoyed your time at Kier, it sounds like you really learnt a lot in your time with us and we hope you've been able to apply this knowledge in your future opportunities.You're right about hours, some roles may require longer working hours but at Kier we value the importance of a healthy work-life balance and we would encourage current employees to talk to their line manager or HR Business Partner about any flexibility should they find themselves struggling with the hours.

Worst place ever

The workers are worked to the bone, it’s discusting working conditions long hours and little respect for employees most of all I felt out of place and rejected by everyone in the work place

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Bad working conditions and long hours

29 March 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience, we are sorry to see that this was your experience at Kier, we take this very seriously and we would appreciate it if you could get in touch with us and offer more details of your experiences so we can investigate. Please contact Nerida Rooney nerida.rooney@kier.co.uk or contact our confidential Speak Up helpline at 0800 915 1571 - this service is still available to you as a former employee.

Terrible staff

I started as a domestic at Hinchingbrook..The staff are horrible and very clickey with each other .They don’t like new people on their team it’s very difficult to fit in . No breaks even in twelve hours,over worked and everything is expected to be done at a high standard.Stay clear if you want to save your well being.. However the porting team always seemed supportive.

29 March 2022
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to see that this was your experience whilst working for Kier and we take your concerns extremely seriously. We would appreciate it if you could get in touch with more information about your experience so we can investigate. Please contact Nerida Rooney nerida.rooney@kier.co.uk or our confidential Speak Up helpline at 0800 915 1571 - this service is still available to you as a former employee.We would encourage any current employees feeling the same way to speak to their HR Business Partner or reach out to the Speak Up helpline also so we can resolve.

Terrible Management

Terrible. The management team are never bothered about getting anything done properly. They expect the business to run smoothly with no input from them. The pay is not enough.

18 March 2022
Thank you for your review, all feedback is important in helping us improve. We're sorry to see that your experience at Kier hasn't been a positive one so far and we'd really encourage you to speak to your HR Business Partner about the issues your facing with your management team. Or if you'd feel more comfortable, you can get in touch with our confidential Speak Up helpline at 0800 915 1571.

Good job doesn’t pay anywhere enough money

Good job doesn’t pay enough for what they are asking for bonus scheme in place very hard to achieve, very little communication between management and workers

11 March 2022
Thank you for your feedback, it's great to hear that generally you are enjoying your time with Kier although it sounds like there's a few areas we could improve upon. We would encourage you to speak to your HR Business Partner about these so we can improve.

Very focused on costs

Costs and client satisfaction is main concern, welfare of middle management is lacking. Operatives seem to get away with everything. Overall a big change in the last few months

Pros

Work is varied

Cons

Micro management is creeping in

11 March 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to hear that your experience at Kier wasn't all positive and we would really appreciate it if you could let us know further details about your experience so we can investigate and improve. Please reach out to your former HR Business Partner or get in touch with our confidential Speak Up helpline 0800 915 1571 - this is available to all current and former employees.

Worked for this company for approximately a year. Would highly recommend that upcoming professionals stay away from any role as a planner

During my time within this company and my position as a planner, the entire planning team (4 members) walked out without notice to find higher paying roles with fewer weekly working hours.

Pros

Cons

Poor pay, poor work culture, no development opportunity, long hours.

Not a place I would go back to

Real bad experience with supervisors being two faced and lying, they twist what you say as long as it does not effect them.If you got a problem your better off asking a brick wall.If you get trained on a vehicle ask for a copy of the paper work or you will get retrained 2 weeks later

Pros

Boys are great to work along aside

Cons

Supervisors need replacing

24 February 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we're really sorry to read your comments and to see that your experience at Kier was not a positive one. We take your comments very seriously. We would appreciate it if you could get in touch with further details about your situation so we can identify exactly where and how we can improve. If you feel comfortable doing so, please get in touch with your previous HR Business Partner or reach out to our confidential Speak Up Helpline on 0800 915 1571. This service is still available to you as a former employee. Thank you and we wish you all the best in your new opportunity.

Squeezed workforce at every level.

Generally a good place to work, but across the company it seems people are over stretched and resources are too low.This is an industry wide issue, unfortunately.

9 February 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and we're glad to see that you generally enjoyed your time with us and we wish you all the best in your new opportunity. Your comments about employees being overstretched do concern us though and we would encourage any current employees who are feeling this way to reach out to their managers, HR Business Partner or our confidential Speak Up Helpline: 0800 915 1571 about this so we can better support you in managing your workload.Thanks again for your feedback.

Do not care about employees

Started with this company was promised a permanent role after finishing probation period with an agency. The team leaders tried their best with training while they were working about 80 hours a week to catch up with their own work but even after 2 months of working here I had no clue what I was doing. Hired 16 members of staff when there was a huge workload and once the work was under control they have ended the contract leaving us with no jobs with less than a weeks notice. Absolutely avoid at all costs, they don’t care about staff as you are just a number to them

Pros

Overtime

Cons

The way me and my colleagues have been treated is absolutely appalling!

High workload and often asked/requested/pushed to work late and in anyway way to get tasks closed.

Management talk the talk and push staff into working long hours and lots of hours overtime without paying staff for the hours worked.Consistently asking staff to purchase materials with their own funds with a promise of "you'll get it back" only to Consistently ignore expense requests.Staff are in an environment where they know they are ignored and distrusted and often working 12 or more hours while being paid for 8 with Management talking to staff eho are continuing working while Management are on their home.Unhealthy environment to be working in where Management question is " how do we get out of this?" Instead of "how do we support this ataff member.

Pros

Staff members are very good people yhat keep the wheels turning

Cons

Staff not looked after

17 February 2022
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, the issues you've raised are extremely serious and we would appreciate it if you could let us know further details so we can investigate. If you feel comfortable doing so, please email further details of your experience to nerida.rooney@kier.co.uk or, you can speak to our confidential Speak Up Helpline on 0800 915 1571. This helpline is still available to you as a former employee. We're sorry that this was your experience whilst working with us, and we would encourage any current employees who may be facing a similar situation to get in touch using the above details or speak to their HR Business Partner.

Good place to work, but very political

Good company to work for and fairly good salary for a job that requires no previous experience. The company however can be quite political and favouritism is definitely abundant. You need to be willing to follow and not go against the flow of the company, even if it is honest or for the better. Some management stuck in their old ways, can be difficult to work in own personal flow and manage your own time. Career progression is definitely based on favouritism and for anyone willing to be overly obsequious, it can be hard to progress once in a role for long periods and if any management has a strong opinion of you. Overall, good workplace but don’t expect an easy progression.

Pros

-Fair pay -good working hours

Cons

-poor career progression

9 February 2022
Thanks for your review! We're pleased to read that overall, you're enjoying your time with us.However, we are sorry to see that your experience hasn't been totally positive. We take your comments seriously and this is not a culture we encourage at Kier. We would strongly encourage you to speak to your line manager or HR Business Partner about this, or if you would be more comfortable, you can also reach out to our confidential Speak Up Helpline: 0800 915 1571. Thanks again for your feedback.

Good blokes

Good blokes poor management, the management don’t listen all the employees are just numbers. Long hours and never any thanks. Good money to be earned if you don’t want to be at home

9 February 2022
Thanks for your feedback! We're pleased to see you enjoyed working with the people around you.We are sorry to see though that you did not feel cared for as an individual. This is not something we would want any employee to feel, and we are saddened to see that this was your experience. We would strongly recommend any current employees to speak to our confidential Speak Up Helpline: 0800 915 1571 if they are feeling similar. Thanks again, and all the best for the future.

Decent place to work

Enjoyed my time at Kier Retford I worked as a class 2 driver/ footways operative in 2019 for around 8 month was no issues other then the way redundancies came about after been told it was a permanent position which was disappointing

Pros

Good contracts to be on and good earning potential if you and your team of 3 put the work in

Cons

Working away most of the year depending on the contract

9 February 2022
Thanks for the review! We're so pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us. Unfortunately due to the nature of our industry, when contracts finish, we do have to let some staff go.We wish you all the best in your future opportunities and maybe we'll see you at Kier again soon!

Au fost 7 ani de colaborare superba! Munca linistita si un loc de munca unde iti doresti sa stai mai mult...

M-asi intoarce cu drag oricand!Am avut colegi si manageri superb de intelegatori!

Doesn't care about staff

Will do anything to cover for management wrongdoings. Underpaid and overworked. Management knew nothing of job and team bore the brunt of their lack of guidance.

9 February 2022
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to leave a review and bringing this to our attention. We take your comments very seriously and we're sorry that this was your experience whilst working with us. The culture you've mentioned is not one we encourage and we would strongly recommend any employees that feel they are in a similar situation to reach out to our confidential Speak Up Helpline: 0800 915 1571 to report the issues so we can further look into your situation and make serious improvements. Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you all the best for the future.

Manager I had was shocking, no longer at the company though. HR are sneaky

Wasn’t the worst experience however the days were long when you were told to be quiet like school kids and not allowed to speak to each other. No consideration for mothers who work

Pros

Had a kitchen

Cons

Quiet, rubbish manager

9 February 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and bringing your experience to our attention. We're sorry to hear that this happened during your time at Kier and we would appreciate the opportunity to look into this further. If you feel comfortable doing so, please reach out to our confidential Speak Up Helpline: 0800 915 1571 to discuss this. This is still available to you as a former employee.We would also like to mention that we have made some significant improvements to all our family friendly policies, including the policies that impact working mothers. We want all employees to feel supported both professionally and personally, which is why we have increased our maternity leave to 26 weeks full pay and halved the eligibility to 26 weeks employed, allowing employees to access this fantastic benefit much earlier in their time at Kier. We also offer agile working and flexible hours wherever possible, which many of our employees who are also parents have found invaluable. If any current employees are feeling that their team or managers are not respectful of any of these arrangements, please speak to your HR Business Partner or also get in touch with the Speak Up Helpline we listed above.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kier Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement