Kier Group

Kier Group Employee Reviews

I am well supported, working within a motivated and trusted team. I engage regularly with senior management personnel and understand the career progression opportunities at my disposal.
23 March 2021
Thank you! We're glad to hear about your experience. It makes us very happy to know that you feel supported as well as living those values of being trusted and collaborative!
Honestly the best company I have worked for, the people are very friendly, supportive and caring. I enjoy my job and feel very much part of a team! I ditto the comments above re the management and the company is in line with my moral beliefs including their Inclusion and Diversity policy. They play an active role in supporting charities and generally from my perspective I can't fault the company.
13 April 2021
Thank you for the review! We're so glad to hear this, and are so happy to know that you feel this way about working with us!
A very flexible and inclusive employer - I started in lockdown, knew exactly what was expected of me and how I could achieve it. I have regular check-ins with my manager and feel that they are approachable. I am building my network within the organisation and learning (maybe slightly slower than if I were in an office) how it all fits together. I am challenged and learning and my successes are celebrated and acknowledged. I feel I am valued for more than just my qualifications.
Pros
Continuous Professional Development
Cons
very dispersed business
15 April 2021
Thank you for this review! We're glad to hear that you have felt so included and welcomed! We appreciate that starting a brand new role during a lockdown can be quite daunting, it makes us happy to know that we've been able to support you through this time. Please do let u know if there is anything else we can do to support you, either speak to your line manager or local HR representative!
HR consisted of banks of phones constantly receiving calls in an over crowded office. Abysmal management whose only goal was to slap call goals on you. High stress little reward. Fielding a lot of calls to other departments for them to not pick up.
Pros
Other HR staff friendly
Cons
Too many people crowded together, too many constant calls
13 April 2021
Thank you for your review - We're sorry to hear that you felt this way around our HR function, your feedback is genuinely appreciated and will help us as we look to continuously improve.
I have worked with Kier Group for 8 weeks and can genuinely say it is an absolute delight to go to work every day, albeit currently from home!Everyone within my direct team and wider team have been supportive, highly knowledgeable and inspiring, which has enabled me to find my feet and really grasp my new role with both hands, enjoying each and every day.It is a fast paced working environment and there are challenges to over come, however the business is highly supportive and collaborative which stands the team in good stead to deliver to a high standard across the board.I am extremely impressed with the welcome I have received, the organisation's beliefs and employee benefits as a whole, and the engagement and support I have received during the last 8 weeks with Kier.
Pros
Fast-paced and varied workload, collaborative and supportive teams, employee benefits, work-life balance.
Cons
COVID minimising face to face interaction is challenging when starting a new role, but completely out of the hands of Kier!
23 March 2021
Thank you for your review! We're so glad to hear that you are settling in well and enjoying your role! We're very much looking forward to being able to get back into the office to say hello to everyone face to face again!
I joined Kier as an apprentice, throughout my career here, Kier has supported my progression to become an Assistant Site Manager. Each project I have worked on, the team are made to feel as one family, creating a positive and friendly work place. Each day I learn something new and I am able to use the knowledge that I have learnt to develop me as a person.
18 March 2021
Thank you! We're so happy to hear about your journey through Kier, and it makes us really happy to know that you have had the support and progression opportunities. We hope that you continue to enjoy your time with us!
A typical day is challenging but productive. Managers are equipped to support staff at all levels and the business culture is a diverse and inclusive one where you are expected to deliver to the high standards set out through performance conversations.The best bit of the job is working with and leaning from lots of great people across many different job roles.
Pros
Lots of opportunities for development across the Kier Group businesses
Cons
Being away from home when working on national contracts.
18 March 2021
5 stars! Thank you so much! We're so happy to hear of your review, it makes us happy to know that you are enjoying what you are doing. Our people are so important to us and we are extremely glad to know you feel valued. We appreciate that as a large business across the UK that you have to stay away from home sometimes, we hope that during this time you have been able to enjoy the travels and experience new contracts and perhaps even locations.
Good place to work, offering good qualifications and other benefits, such as a company car depending on role. Clear career progression and reviewed annually. Adapted quickly to covid and get you setup with IT equipment swiftly for home working.
Pros
Qualifications, career progression and benefits.
Cons
Other than the qualifications gained through external providers (RICS, Msc, BsC etc), there isn't a rigid training programme, all appears to be on the job training. Systems tend to be different for other parts of Kier group, so it is understandable that it can be difficult to have a group wide training programme.
16 March 2021
Thank you! We're glad to hear of the 'Pros' you mention. The qualifications and training are extremely important to us as we strongly believe in your personal development - it's great to know that you feel it is practical as well. Your feedback is extremely useful to us, and we do appreciate that with such a wide business the systems do differ. A lot of the practical training is delivered on the job with our teams, with then professional associations and qualifications delivered through our external training partners. If we can support you in any other way with your training, please email earlycareers@kier.co.uk and we'll do our best to help.
It has been intense getting into a new employers culture and located in with ultimate client. All good, would recommend to others, whether Admin, QS, engineers or the like.Kier has a large presence in the SW
Pros
Great team and shared goals and responsibilities
Cons
Busy workload - remote team during these times
16 March 2021
Thank you! We're glad to hear about your experience in the south west and that you have great support from your team as well. Please do let us know if there is any support with the workloads you mention, your line manager or local HR representative will do their best to help you.
I have work at Kier for 5 months and during this time I have found them very professional. They supported me through the recruitment with the onboarding team, also as my role is safety critical I had a review with occupational health all before I started my employment. Once I started I received inductions and was made to feel part of the team instantly. My views and concerns were listened to and I am supported by my Manager daily. The company values are present each day in everything we do. One of the most professional caring companies I have worked for.
Pros
Being accepted immediately as one of the family
16 March 2021
5-stars! Wow, thank you! We're so grateful for your review, and we're so happy to hear that you have been settling in well. There's nothing better than knowing that you have found it to be like a family! Welcome to the team!
The pay was poor for the demand of work they want you to do. felt pressure into working on my own but it is classed as two man work. overall it is not worth the money (when you get paid right) no bonus scheme in place as promised there would be. changes contract often as well to "suit business needs"
Pros
Can not even think of one
Cons
Long hours bad pay bad management ect ect
16 March 2021
We're sorry to hear about this, your feedback is genuinely appreciated. Please do speak with your line manager or local HR representative if there is anything we can support you with.
My typical day at work arrive on site 7.30 am morning meeting with site staff and sub contractors to go through the days planned activities review any specific hazards in the properties planned for the day.Tour around the area looking at any health and safety issues also quality inspections. Daily meeting with client representative covering health and safety,quality and hand overs.All other day to day responsibilities and monitoring.Our workplace culture is based on good teamwork and communication at all levels.We are working on occupied properties within social housing this has its challenges which can be difficult from time to time this is where team work comes in both from our staff but also the client The enjoyable parts are the job are to see a job well executed with happy customers/tenants and happy staff but also being on program and making our margins.Overall i enjoy working for Kier but feel its time for me to move on looking to get onto new build as i have done in the past.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not enough interaction line manager
9 March 2021
Thank you for the review! We always enjoy reading what people get up to on a typical day at Kier. And we're glad to know of all the parts you find enjoyable!
Toxic atmosphere if you have long service they will replace you as soon as they can with cheap semi skilled or rookie engineers ie on 24,000 all managers bonuses are down to how much they can stop the engineers earning every one is generally moaning about the job this may sound like an axe to grind but it really has gone down hill in the last couple of years before that it was ok
Pros
Not any more
Cons
Low wages
4 March 2021
Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear that you feel this way, we want to support you the best we can and know how we can improve - we'd highly suggest speaking with your line manager or local HR representative.
Money not good you watched all the time by council. management have not got a clue how to run things. Worker never have a say in anything.. There no aircon in the lorrys there no radio. The lorry are very uncomfortable
Pros
Some early finishes
Cons
Wet cant get dry
9 February 2021
Thank you for the review, your feedback is genuinely important to us. We wish you all the best for the future.
The interview promises the world but reality is you give everything and get nothing back .no encouragement,constant whining and poor suppliers of equipment.You do a tradesman's job for labourers money with basic tools very poorly run company expected to do a six day week 3 out of four
Pros
Holiday
Cons
Long hours, no spare time, working in the dark with wrong equipment, not even statutory pay for covid
28 January 2021
Thank you for your review. your feedback is genuinely important to us, and we'd love to know how we could best support you. We would highly recommend that you speak to your line manager or local HR representative in order to help resolve some of the things you have mentioned.
Clearly an excellent company with a lot of talent and a positive attitude to the future and work winning in particular. O boarding process is unfriendly and incomplete.
19 January 2021
Thank you for the review! We're glad to hear this, we are constantly winning new work and are proud to be serving local communities and leaving a lasting legacy. Your feedback is noted, we are currently reviewing parts of the onboarding process in order to streamline and make it better suited to remote working.
I worked for the Kier Group from 1997 to 2004 and again from 2012 to 2016 that was when I retired. Kier was in my time a very good company to work for. In my time with them I worked on many projects.This is just a few,Power Stations,Nuclear Installation,Dock Yard refurbishments,Shopping Developments,Roads & MotorwaysBridge construction & refurbishments.To name but a few.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Great people to work with.
4 January 2021
Wow, thank you for the review! We're so grateful you enjoyed your time with us, and it sounds like you were able to work on a huge variety of projects too! We hope you are enjoying your retirement, and thank you for being a part of Kier and helping leave a lasting legacy.
Great place to work, work life balance has been a key driver for me and Kier support me in having the right balance between personal and work time. Plenty of career development in such a large diverse company.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Career Progression
Cons
Share price has taken a dip, management could look differently to see how we improve that.
8 December 2020
Thank you for the 5-stars! We're glad to hear about your time with us, and we're extra happy in knowing that you're able to have a healthy work/life balance - wellbeing and flexibility is extremely important to us! We'll be sure to keep supporting you in every possible way we can.
Great company, plenty of supportRelaxed, supportive, friendly, approachable, dedicated to success, always ready to help in any situation, happy to support further training
Pros
Very laid back atmostphere
Cons
Parking
10 November 2020
Thank you for your comments! We're glad to know about your experience at Kier, and we really thank you for your kind words too.
Worked at a school under kier for under two years in that time had five managers with kier your just a number not a person poor money for the work you do
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
13 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear about your experience, we always hope to be there to support our people. If you do have any concerns please do speak to your local HR representative and we'll be sure to help you the best we can.
I worked on the highway maintenance side of the company and have since left due to how badly the place is run. There is no communication between managers and the workers, and you are fed propaganda and lies on a daily basis. The men are all back stabbing moaning little children and the only way to get promoted is to be under the bosses desk (if you catch my drift). Stay away from this one.
Pros
buying holidays
Cons
Long hours and always on call
13 October 2020
Thank you for your comments, we're sorry to hear of your experience at Kier. Your feedback is genuinely important to us.
  1. Employee reviews