King's College London logo
King's College London

King's College London Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

The colleagues that I worked with in various departments that I with was

I worked at King's College Hospital for many years and my colleagues were like family. . I worked with a excellent team and even though I eft for over 3 years I miss them so much. I would definitely recommend working at King's College Hospital.

Pros

Management support

Cons

Flexible hours

Fun Place to work

a typical day at work : Looking into Students inquirieswhat you learned: Time Managementmanagement: Soft skills management, interpersonal Skillsworkplace culture: Fun an relaxthe hardest part of the job: Planning for prospect students the most enjoyable part of the job: Planning events for students Very enjoyable place to work and I had very nice colleagues.

Sad, Unprofessional, Middle Manager

Great lads at Kings who deserve better. The University claims to be a meritocracy but that is not the case. Strand Campus engineering team has a bullying boss who pulls rank and singles out temporary staff to hide his many inadequacies. I suspect like many such individuals he has been promoted from within and is only there because he could not survive anywhere else. I hope the new principle at Kings takes a zero tolerance approach to these vile specimens and those who assist in covering up their behaviour. It needs rooting out.Working at Kings has a few perks but please anyone who accepts a position be on your guard if directed to the Strand Campus. There is a serious bad apple waddling along the corridors masquerading as a manger. He knows who he is and what he is. Treat him with the contempt he deserves.My best wishes to all the good guys at Kings.

Pros

Good Banter

Cons

Bullying Bosses

Amazing and massive workplace

Great team, work as we going, no stress and very professional philosophy from supervisors, 4 on 4 off rota gives enough interval to make other activities, trainings constantly and excellent level of health and safety

Rewarding place to work

Great workplace culture, collaborative and stimulating environment. Internal communications are very transparent, management is usually knowledgeable and supportive. Infinite free training and learning opportunities.

Pros

Training opportunities and career progression

Cons

Pay pack below other London universities

Lots of learning, work/life balance

Got opportunity to learn a lotA strong work/life balanceTeam bonding experienceSupportive management unlike catering companiesLooking at career advancement

Pros

Free meals, courses for further education

Cons

Long commute

Productive and Value-adding learning experience

Great mentors and resource in great locations in London. Understand the importance and methodology of clinical history and neurological examination in the Neurology patient and the localisation of CNS lesions; Understand the importance of Neuroimaging in diagnosis, management, and in monitoring the response to treatment across different Neurological disorders; Be able to identify relevant information from a variety of sources and order and interpret appropriate investigations and treatments; Demonstrate an advanced level of ability to conduct an independent research project; collect, collate, analyse primary and secondary data; evaluate literature and critically assess evidence base; Be able to undertake a research project, including the ethical approval process, R&D requirements, grant writing, study design and publishing;

Bullying is rife abd ignored by management

The money is good but the atmosphere in the Estates department is toxic. There are constant 're-structures' you are never sure if your job is on the line.

Collaborative Workplace with supportive Management

The most enjoyable part of the job was the culture and management style where work/life balance came first. The wholes department focus was on getting things done through working partnerships. I learned some good techniques on personal man-management opposed to micro managing. My manager was so supportive and promoted an outstanding workplace culture. At Kings they promote core value interviews where they make sure they hire the right fit for the department. I thoroughly enjoyed the togetherness and event the department held in order to promoted helping one another. Moving forward I picked up transferable skills like working with different systems, data cleansing and collaborative working.

Not keen on fixed term contract

After 2 years employment a more permanent role was desired. I enjoyed the training staff were encouraged to undertake. After working for CTU I worked for the FoLSM.

Pros

Excellent training

Cons

Not offered a permanet contract after 2 years of service

Jobs at King's College London

See more jobs

horrible horrible horrible

no. no. no. accept a job anywhere else. racist. sexist. homophobic. bullying. incompetent. senior staff undermine junior staff. leadership constantly lie. research funds mysteriously disappear. most of the lecturers seem to hate students especially non-white ones. I have no idea how they continue to operate.

Gave them best 25 years of my life

Major international university with enormous pressures, both academic and financial, in current financial climate struggling to maintain its heritage and tradition under modern pressures.

Productive environment

It was very amazing working with a team.Learned alot more from colleagues and faced with many challenges and finding effective solutions to the problems.

Very pivotal and busy role - prioritisation is key

A typical day's work involved a variety of tasks including diary management for two academics, arranging meetings, booking rooms/catering where appropriate, HR tasks such as contract renewals, completion of recruitment forms, staff health & safety inductions, monitoring office stationery/photocopier machines, processing expense claims, raising purchase orders, running reports for grants, completing research grants authorisation forms/applications.

Pros

Exposure to wide range of tasks, forever learning as systems changes, tendency to not work overtime.

Cons

Some tasks that are deadline oriented are allocated with little notice, open plan format can be disruptive making it difficult to focus.

minimum living wage

Fair salary and good working condition. No need to complain for the work. Maybe not as exciting as you think, but fine work to receive minimum living wage in London.

Good

Medical Secretary. Typing scanning answering the phone and filling Sorting mails documents and telephone calls Scheduling patients appointments and arranging referrals. Transcribing dictation preparing medical reports maintaining office files and patient records

Depends on you supervisor

As with most academic positions, it is difficult to rate institutions as a whole, as the experience will mostly be determined by your supervisor, but I found King's to be a relaxed working environment.

Good workplace

The work varies between departments and roles so there is no typical work day. My experience was very good as I was working from home with daily contact with the trial manager and other members of the team. As with other universities there is scope to change roles.

Decent workplace

Highly political university setting, large collaborative HR team, with distinct OD, case management and HR Business Partnering teams. Highly unionised.

productive and fun

I was a student so was not employed by the university. I dont really understand why this is the only thing the computer picked out and wanted to ask me.

good

working at kings college is a great experience and fun environment you do learn alot there are all ways for improvement. working as a team is a great thing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at King's College London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement