King's College London
Happiness score is 69 out of 100

King's College London Employee Reviews

United Kingdom146 reviews

kinguniversitystudentcollegecolleaguesupportivefriendlyfacility

Nice but hard to progress

King's is a nice place to work if you are lucky enough to be in the right team. However if you have a bad manager you are screwed as there is no policy or comeback for poor management

Ŵirkplace

Higher management does not have respect at all to employees. Not opportunity to grow up as employee at least you know someone to push you for position

Insights into King's College London

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Good people but frustrating processes

Lots of clever people work there but they are constantly dumbed down (in the IT Dept) by the processes in place and the management whom lead the area. The culture is very deferential and its frowned upon to question decisions made by those above you. Everything is reviewed multiple times and inevitably issues are found that allow people to delay taking action rather than proceeding ahead - hence a lot of the systems used are still out of date.

Not bad

Good pension but not many bonuses. Average employee now only spends 1.5 days in the office so good if you hate commuting (which used to be a big minus point with its Central London location).

Nice place to work

It’s a nice place to work. They are fairly flexible, the work ethos is friendly.Cons Depends on what manager you have, no overall policy , each department is a country of its own

a good university to work for.

I really enjoyed working at King's, but some divisions need a management overhaul. Lack of support in my team was the only reason I moved on. Other than that would definitely consider working there again one day. If they'd have me!

Great work/life balance, but going downhill

Overall King's is a good place to work and a fair employer. There is lots of red tape and bureaucracy which slows down progress. Some long serving colleagues are jaded and can be difficult to work with as a result.Lack of office space since returning back to the office has made things challenging.There has recently been a realignment which has caused a lot of shift and pressure regarding work load. A culture of favoritism exists amongst senior management too which has become more prevalent over the last year. Its also very hard to. break through to the £38,000+ bracket and talented people are leaving as a result

Pros

good work like balance, wellbeing half hour

Cons

red tape, favoritism

Ambiente colaborativo, difícil progresión

EL ambiente es correcto, la gente en general es amable y colaborativa. Difícil progresión si trabajas en ciencia

Worst place I’ve ever worked

Poor iT management sitting in Cornwall running London campuses iT infrastructure, have no clue and are always in s holiday mode. The Data centre guys are OAP’s and no qualifications in the field, absolute walk in disaster comms rooms on all 4 campuses.

Productive and supportive workplace

The small team I worked with were very friendly and supportive. They were happy to offer constructive feedback on my work and teach me lots of new, more efficient ways of doing things without making me feel less confident. There was a good work life balance, lots of opportunity to collaborate with other teams and it was a relaxed but very productive work environment.

Pros

Lots of training opportunities, friendly and supportive atmosphere.

Cons

Various campuses, older buildings were like a maze and very hard to navigate.

Great work

It has been quite flexible. The team has also been quite encouraging as well. The students are also very relaxed. Covering classes and handing over the duties were my responsibilities.

An interesting place to work. The staff were friendly and helpful. The work was fulfulling.

It was an enjoyable place to work in. My office overlooked the Thames. The work was fast-paced but explained well in advance. The offices were clean and the students came in to the offices from time to time to meet the staff. A typical day involved diary management and administration mainly. I learned to listen to what the staff required more readily. The management was good. The workplace culture was fair. The hardest part of the job was completing the work in the time given. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to do that.

Pros

Nice area to work in and good campus.

Cons

No cons.

Internationally respected, but nationally a little neglected, King's has an excellent reputation in a number of fields particualrly medicine.

I worked there for 3 years as a postdoc at what is now called the IOPPN. There were a range of development options to take advantage of, researchers were superbright and motivated, and there were lots of interesting events to attend.

Pros

Canteen was pretty good, free seminars and debates, good reputation, lovely library

Cons

Pay was low for the area, sometimes felt a bit unsafe at night around Camberwell

Outdated and poor senior management

A typical day involves arriving at work (between 8am and 11am is common for most) and having to manually sign-in on a piece of paper instead of their being an automatic tracking with your key card. Find a spot in a hot-desking office even though numerous meetings are constantly scheduled by management throughout the day. Most offices are run down, demotivating and full of dusty bits and bobs from ex employees. Unsurprising considering the fast turn around. Difficult to find quiet and isolated space for sensitive meetings. Almost all academic offices are shared. Labs on the ground floor are new and nice to work in. Labs on other floors are old, in desperate need of renovation and are in many cases have a considerable number of health hazards. Some facilities are poorly maintained and frequently break down. Not enough people with expertise to fix the problems. Management also ignores requests such as buying site wide software licenses that every other Russel group university has access to. Journal access is also poor. You'll feel like nobody with the power to change things actually listens or cares what you have to say. Most meetings feel impersonal and are just done to tick a box. Within a few months you will feel overwhelmed as you realise the building is in-equipped to conduct the research you may wish to do, and it will take twice or three times as long as it would take in other places. The best part of the job is leaving the building or going along to a social where everyone likes to have a joint moan.

Pros

Flexible working hours, Great location, Sociable

Cons

Old building, slow paced, undervalued

Great people and org

Best colleagues, amazing managers, felt so supported and genuine care from people I worked with. The organisation it ethical and makes decisions for the right reasons

Pros

Good organisation and nice management, intelligent people

Cons

High work load

Enthusiastic, professional, friendly and supportive colleagues and management, and motivated, responsive and likeable students.

King's College London is ambitious for its students and its staff, and is concerned for the welfare and wellbeing of both. It is a good place to teach.

Good place to work. There is need for HE sector to match up salary with other sector. Although, there are alot more benefit with the HE sector. I.e. higher pension contributions, 26 days hols, 2 weeks off at Xmas, work from home opportunities etc.Overall experience was great but project sometimes take too long to finish and they are too heavy on governance and documentation.

Pros

Excellence opportunity and exposure to new tech.

Cons

Heavy on governance and documentation, difficult stakeholders, project takes too long to complete, too many blockers i.e. procurement routes, PO sign off, design approvals etc.

The colleagues that I worked with in various departments that I with was

I worked at King's College Hospital for many years and my colleagues were like family. . I worked with a excellent team and even though I eft for over 3 years I miss them so much. I would definitely recommend working at King's College Hospital.

Pros

Management support

Cons

Flexible hours

Fun Place to work

a typical day at work : Looking into Students inquirieswhat you learned: Time Managementmanagement: Soft skills management, interpersonal Skillsworkplace culture: Fun an relaxthe hardest part of the job: Planning for prospect students the most enjoyable part of the job: Planning events for students Very enjoyable place to work and I had very nice colleagues.

Sad, Unprofessional, Middle Manager

Great lads at Kings who deserve better. The University claims to be a meritocracy but that is not the case. Strand Campus engineering team has a bullying boss who pulls rank and singles out temporary staff to hide his many inadequacies. I suspect like many such individuals he has been promoted from within and is only there because he could not survive anywhere else. I hope the new principle at Kings takes a zero tolerance approach to these vile specimens and those who assist in covering up their behaviour. It needs rooting out.Working at Kings has a few perks but please anyone who accepts a position be on your guard if directed to the Strand Campus. There is a serious bad apple waddling along the corridors masquerading as a manger. He knows who he is and what he is. Treat him with the contempt he deserves.My best wishes to all the good guys at Kings.

Pros

Good Banter

Cons

Bullying Bosses

busy place, excellent people to work with

one of the busiest reference hospitals and one of the largest trauma centres in London and in the UK, receiving patients from all over the country. excellent working environment, awesome staff, great learning opportunity for neurosurgical registrars, trainees and also for senior specialists.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at King's College London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement