Kirklees Active Leisure

Kirklees Active Leisure Employee Reviews

Featured review
Kirklees Active Leisure selected this as a representative review
I worked at KAL for a year as a customer advisor in Huddersfield Leisure Centre. The staff were great and the work was widely varied but relatively simple. I would recommend the workplace to someone looking to start out in leisure or customer service.
I loved my time working for KAL and the training and development skills you obtain .The Staff are fantastic and I have not a bad word to say about them.Highly recommend company going to miss everyone
Pros
KAL benifits and cheap membership
Cons
Unsociable hours but it comes with the job role
Was employed but kept on probation. Wasn't making as much money as they expected and management didn't want to listen to staff suggestions who have worked in a similar environment to help improve sales so they hired lots of casual staff which we trained then fired all the contracted staff .
Pros
Wages
Cons
Long hours no staffroom
Great diverse community across multiple axioms. Staff interaction can make job more fun. Staff are easily reachable and reliable. Very large facility with lots of areas to clean/manage. Very busy working environment and often stressful customer interactions/problems daily.
Pros
Enjoyable community.
Cons
Below average pay. Can be very stressful.
KAL are a well organised company, the aquatics department is growing and development opportunities are opening up for most members of staff that are showing great team work, passion and excellence .Staff and management are friendly and professional. Great job to get into and very rewarding
Lots of things to do, plenty of people to seek for any advice that you require. Friendly and approachable management. Gives feedback whether good or bad. Continually looking to succeed in everything that we offer to public and staff
KAL is a decent place to work, the people there are mostly good and you have plenty of opportunity to talk to colleagues and the public no matter what role you are in. Wage is reasonable at best but there is always overtime available if you want it. Progression opportunies seem to be given on an as and when required basis and only "if your face fits" some people have worked there for 20 plus years and not progressed, others progress to management within a year.
It was generally an okay place to work. Staff were always pleasant and on it most of the time. Management was generally quite good which meant staff did not have a lot of chance to slack off, and overall i would recommend as a part time job.
Worked here for a short period of time, would not recommend to anyone. The whole of management are bullies and have no respect for their staff. Aquatics team are a shambles!!
First of all everyone gets paid differently for the exact same job so you so you never know if you’re been paid correctly. I used to love my job however management have got stricter and speak to you like you’re back at school. If you are wanting to work for KAL work in the aquatics department, they make you feel so much more appreciated.
Loved working here. Made great friends. Hours are not very social due to the nature of the business.
Pros
The people
Cons
The hours
Strong bullying culture throughout the company, particularly from Management in both head office and across the centres. A number of departmental corporate Managers have been on the interview panel for candidates for other Management roles who they have known personally to the point where there is a conflict of interest. This then feeds further into their bullying culture as the Managers 'gang up' on staff members and try to use intimidation techniques if they dislike someone. I worked for the company for over 5 years in different roles, some of the Managers are fantastic but a majority are not.
Pros
Staff teams are like family, makes you not want to leave
Cons
Managers are terrible, bullies and most have no idea how to do their job
The manager is so rude, unbelievable. All sorts of two faced bickering going on. Wouldn't work here again for 30 a hour. By fast worst environment I've worked in.
Pros
Some nice member of staff
Cons
To many to list
I worked for KAL for approximately 3 months. I resigned from position as swim teacher due to not receiving any pay for the work carried out during that period. The issue had been raised with the relevant manager and it took a further month after my resignation before I finally received the money I was owed.
Pros
Non
Cons
Untrustworthy for paying
Really enjoy my job at KAL. Progression TBC.Lots of variation. Good staff members at certain sites. Most staff are very helpful. Most are good locations.
Pros
Training, meet new people.
Cons
Shift worlk, moved to different sites
Being a lifeguard within kal is not something I would advise for someone with the impression of progressing. It is an easy job if you want to get paid 8 pounds an hour for watching people swim all day but not a job I would advise for a career.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
barely get a social life
Horrible working environment. Your slowly bullied for any reason possible. Management are two faced or little kids with keys. The people who are not like this are few and far between. Staff morale is low and the turn over is fast in there because if your face doesn't fit.. They make sure your made to feel it.
Pros
Very little
Cons
Alot
Self-Employed PT and Class Instructor productive & fun workplace the flexibilty to work and cover for colleagues across all the Sites within Kirklees.
Pros
Free use of gym and classes
Cons
No use of Staff Cabnteen
Management team are lazy and expect/ rely too much on casual staff. Staff moral is extremely low due to very little encouragement from management, no rewards and high staff turnover.
Pros
Decent wage.
Cons
Long hours, too much responsibility and little benefits.
i have learned allot from the job as you are always working with team of people and always working with public so your people skills develop allot with the job
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
I enjoy outdoor work on the athletics track carrying out essential maintenance tasks. Also delivering athletics events for my local athletic club and local charity.
Pros
cheap membership
Cons
unsociable hours