Kirklees Council

Kirklees Council Employee Reviews

Good team environment where contributions are expected and valued. Good for work life balance, trading and career development. Very quick and efficient transition to home working at start of pandemic.
Pros
Work life balance, good management in my service
Cons
Local gov csn be meeting heavy and risk averse.
Good firm to work for bosses are a bit set in their ways but are better than anything in the private sector.It's a job for life relaxed Good hourly rate great hols full sick pay and a good pension, the hard part is the interview make sure you read the job spec and come prepared.
Pros
Hrs pension sick pay mon/fri
Cons
Not many
No praise. Bullying. Dominating . Lack of truth and trust. Change of management in the 2019. Everyone began turning against each other in secret . Manager showing unprofessionalism . No positive behaviour. Lack of interest with support workers. Only a couple had a regular self one to one boost and reassurance about job security etc
Cons
What can I say about Kirklees Council? Well I suppose I should thank my senior manager for giving me a brilliant reference and that she was very supportive. However that is where anything good ends.I came into the job having almost a decade in an enforcement role, I have dealt with many challenging situations but i was not prepared for what awaited me at Kirklees. Favoritism was rife in my team and supervisors would often lie and play staff off against one another. There was zero training, and other new starters really struggled to get to grips with legislation that we were tasked to enforce and would quite often be belittled for getting it 'wrong'. I was the victim of work place bullying and was told within 3 weeks of starting that I wasn't liked as I was too enthusiastic...this came from the mouth of my supervisor. I lasted 364 days in the job and i feel guilty for leaving my fellow colleagues behind in such an awful environment. I would strongly advise you get to know any department before you start and ask questions relating to how you develop. Staff turnover within the team was horrendous but no one at the higher levels ever questioned this. Be warned also thay Kirklees also pay less than other local authorities for doing the same job....If you have an interview I wish you the best of luck and I hope you end up not where I did.
Pros
Some supportive individuals
Cons
Favouritism, Bullying, Poor Salary
Bullying by management all way up to ceo diabolical treatment of workers, all their bothered about is covering their own backs, dont bother working here
Cons
This company is very concerned about how things appear not how they actually are you are well paid and trained but they then want total commitment no flexibility or work life balance and their only concern is how the general public view them if only they knew how there council tax money was wasted on one bad idea after another the managers are to your face and on paper caring but it's all a show of political correctness.
Great guys good atmosphere happy to be a part of a good team well accepted by all Really good work life balance .hard work but the crew make it bearable
Under valued over worked and under paid. Unrealistic targets and expectations prove impossible to meet. Levels of responsibility extremely, often asked to complete tasks which you aren't qualified for!
they don't want you to have your breaks just in case you don't get the work completed there racist no private and confidentiality, the bosses don't have a clue about driving they are not transport they not bothered about wagons or been over weight as long as work is getting done they don't keep your driver records, they talk to you like poo
Working in the youth service was the best job I had. Working at Young Batley centre, staff were amazing all there for the same resign, opportunity are out of this world. Management are human and understanding.
Pros
having fun while you work
Cons
not the hours due to goverment cuts
A fantastic start to my career learning from many very experienced horticulturists. Just not offered the progression that i felt i deserved through training and work ethics.
Early starts and late finishes Highway maintenance techniques and traffic management The workplace culture is very conducive and friendly Inclement weather conditions can be daunting Proper training and personal development
Pros
Free training
Cons
felt like I got good support when needed. good communication skills between the work force.Learnt how to use a compactor safely and correctly. got taught a lot on e learning.
It can be very stressful at times and not the best no support from management. Feels like they are always on your back no matter what you do to provide the best standards of service
One of the best places I have ever worked. The staff are friendly, caring & loyal. Kirklees Council were great with any query raised & extremely helpful with any problems.
If you want to be watched and checked up on constantly then this is the place for you, management always want to know where you are and what your'e doing and if your diary is not up to date you'll know about it. No autonomy to be trusted to just get on with your work. Some staff are great, others not so much, very clicky place. Management pretend to be supportive of mental health but when push comes to shove their 'reasonable adjustments' are laughable at best. I wouldn't bother working here, go for a better council like Leeds.
a typical day at work would be picking up customers and dealing with them in polite and professional manner. The working culture was very good and i could work at my own pace.
good place to work always there to make you welcome friendly staff manager are very polite and helpful standard training your opinion gets valued you have more knowledge the job you doing
If you’re thinking of starting working for Kirklees think again all they are bothered about is themselves and that’s the bottom line I lost my mum to a very sudden and quick illness I was offered no support no time off no nothing when I needed the empathy and care it was not their worst place I have ever worked ever.
I really enjoyed working in the school & I found the most rewarding part of the job was watching the children grow in confidence each day and being part of a fantastic team.
I love working for them this job is my dream job. Staff are very friendly. Only issue i have is the neediness of my service dor the language i speak is not as heeded as i was hopeing for. Therefore i do t earn as much as i would need to. Onmy have a few hours a month.
  1. Employee reviews