Kumon
Happiness score is 80 out of 100

Kumon Employee Reviews for Assistant

Found 74 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,297 reviews

Easy going work place

The workplace was good, i didn’t have to have an interview or CV which felt very stress relieving, I say that just because most jobs your CV has to fit the perfect image but at kumon they give everyone a chance to experience and work there, everything Kumon were doing was great I love the fact that you could dress as yourself and still be able to give kids the education they need, the only down fall was the hourly rate wasn’t the best especially for someone over 18 or someone that has bills to pay for

Pros

You only had to work 2 days a week

Cons

Short hours

Relaxed yet productive

Great job and enjoyed because I had friends there. I was paid minimum wage but the work was super relaxed and it was a quiet, productive environment to be working in. I wasn’t put under any stress and we always had reasonable goals

Pros

Short hours

Fun workplace but cold and poor pay

Would recommend as a first/ starting job. But not good for long-term, doesn’t really progress you to another job and the pay isn’t enough to live off.

Rewarding and fun role

I enjoy my time with Kumon, even during Covid restrictions where the after school support is provided through an online platform.Working with the children is rewarding, and our local group leader is excellent, providing appropriate training, guidance and support.

Pros

Flexible, friendly, fun

Cons

short hours, only 2 days a week

Excellent first job

Working at Kumon allowed me to develop skills that I still use in daily work and study, and allowed me to progress in my work there. Starting as an English assistant I quickly picked up the skills to assist with the management of the centre which encouraged me to continue working for Kumon as I was able to see more of each child's progression.

Builds on Communication Skills

Kumon was a great place to work to build on communication with children and their parents. You always came across having to answer questions asked by parents and talk about how their child is coping with the work. It was quite a fun place to work overall.

Very fast paced, good if you enjoy working with children.

Very fast paced during busy periods, boring at times. A good job while studying as there was not a lot of hours, but if you are looking for something that will give you more money, etc.

Was excellent overall.

Was made to feel very comfortable, was a fair employer. Couldn’t fault the people who work there, all lovely.Was very good working with the children it helps you get experience with difficult children as I was on the young Leaners. Would highly recommend

Pros

Cons

No cons

Good part-time work

I always found the job of working with children rewarding, even if the pay wasn't spectacular. I met some excellent colleagues and enjoyed seeing both the children and parents every week, and feeling like you were helping the children grow as learners.

Pros

Good work environment

Cons

Poor salary

Good for a first job

Pay was very low, so I'd recommend this as a casual job to go alongside school. It's not too many hours per week at all, so you can focus on your studies.

Jobs at Kumon

Assistant positions
See more jobs

A typical day at work

I used to go to work after sixth form on a Tuesday afternoon and on Saturday mornings. The general day would usually include setting up, organizing folders, marking and recording pupils work, aiding them with their work and tidying up at the end.

Productive work place

Great place to work, other staff members were friendly and welcoming, Interesting experience. The owner of Kumon was also friendly and helped with settling in.

Pros

Welcoming team

Cons

Pay

stressful

my experience was stressful as my colleague and i were always overloaded with work to mark or attend to students. i also had to assist students with various disabilities which was a challenge at 15, but i managed well.

Pros

early finishes on less busy days

Cons

very fast pace most week days

Slow pace

There was not a lot to do we had to wait for the children to finish their work and then mark it and wait again. sometimes we helped the children with the questions when they got stuck.

Worst place and takes advantage of young student employee

I worked here when I was 16. She told us that if we 'work hard' the salary will increase. We were told a lie and only received £4 an hour and it would have only inreased if I was 21. She gave us false hope and made it out to be something else. Was told to so much for for such little. The manager is extremely rude. She was highly patronising. Could not explain the marking grid properly and would get angry as I did not understand it. I dont know why I worked there for so long. My anxiety was so bad going in every day knowing that this woman would rip me apart. It was also cash in hand which I dont even think is legal. I just feel sorry myself that I had to go through that as a 16 year old. Now that I am 20 I would never allow myself to be disrespected and treated so miserably. Also did not provide payslips. I was overworked with children who ALL needed help at the same time.

Fun place and productive

the place is fun to work at. everyone is organised and punctual. the staff is really helpful and supportive. they will help you out in any difficult situations.

productive yet fun and every day is different

brilliant team and working with the kids is ever so rewarding, and watching them grow and moving on is lovely, knowing you have helped them. The manager is ever so kind and is always there if you are little stuck

Great working environment

Good to work with young people and watching them develop their skills in Maths and English. Fun team to work with and a very inclusive working environment. . Also helped to setup end of year celebrations

great. workplace

a great starting point for me as a way to earn a good wage at 17, for just a few hours minimum a week. the whole team were super helpful and supportive.

Disappointing and disorganised

This review is particular to my experience at one of the main center. The center was very disconnected with staff and constantly critical. Most of the staff are unhappy and wish to leave. There is a very clear hierarchy within the company. New members of staff are expected to work overtime, be yelled at by the higher ups and train outside of office hours. There are constantly observers in the center that interfere with your ability to do your job.Finally there is very little room for promotion. These points withstanding the role itself can be fulfilling and you will have the opportunity to work with children. You may have an better experience in quieter centers.

Fun workplace

I like working here as I am confident when it comes to dealing with younger individuals and making them more motivated to do work.

Pros

Fairy easy but will sometimes be challenged to be very organised

Cons

Not enough shifts so the salary won't be very high.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.4K