Lambeth Council

Lambeth Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom53 reviews

Insights into Lambeth Council

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Supportive environment
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Nice place to work if you can get a permanent contract

Nice place to work but the increasing use of fixed terms contracts for non-managerial roles compromises job security and makes employment in you local authority less attractive prospect than it used to be.

Good training

Thorough training and listen to needs of employee and their suggestions. Option to discuss issues with manager regularly. Team meetings held regularly to give opportunity to discuss any problem areas and make suggestions which were listened to and acted upon.

Pros

Flexibility

good work-life balance and all staff received a bonus for working during the pandemic

good work-life balance and everyone is friendly and its a good relaxed working environment and there is career progression internally which is nice to see. Also work from home is now offered for pandemic and its flexible, if you want to work from the office you can.

Pros

relaxed and work-life balance

Cons

pay could be a bit higher

Productive and fun place to work in.

Although I left Lambeth Council almost a decade ago, I only have positive memories of my time there. I would readily recommend anyone to choose Lambeth as their next place of work

Pros

Close to public transport and the local community

Cons

Not applicable

Very Friendly and Culture

Great work place culture, and friendly culture. Work load is a lot but so far managable keeps one busy. So far so good is still early days yet. I have enjoyed it so far!

Pros

Great Team to work with & Flexi Hours

Cons

Workload expectations

A challenging environment

Working in the customer centre has equipped me with knowledge and understanding of services and communicates with diverse communities within the Borough.

Engaging

I was only there for three months but while working there most of the staff were kind to me and made me feel welcome while working from home. I was a temporary worker. It does need to be more organised.

Pros

Cons

Normal 35hr week

Not a Great Environment. Things Changed.

At first it was great. I really enjoyed coming into work. Then, things began to change. There was lots of tension in the office. I just felt really uncomfortable at times at work. There where some people in the office who could be very mean and they semed to enjoy being mean. Nothing was ever done about this although it was evident that there were bullies in the workplace. There were some people in the office with bad behaviour and treated people horribly. This was not a nice thing to do and many things caused lots of resentment in the office. Some people in the workplace got favoured and there was no attempt to hide it. While my team was micromanaged to the second, other teams occasionally took lunches which were longer than one hour. Some people within the various teams were quite mean and were bullied. They got away with everything and some team members took an extra 30 minutes away from their desks. If members of my teams ever did this, we would be spoken to about it. Some members of staff were really snobbish and had severe attitude problems. Members of some teams got away with so many things and there was a significant difference in the way that some teams were managed. Some spent pretty much all day staring at their phones, while we would be verbally admonished for even glancing at our mobile. I recall once I responded to my mobile phone because I was dealing with a serious issue and I got told off. Meanwhile people from other teams acutally use phones at their desks and had long, really loud conversations! and they do not get told off at all. We get monitored -

Pros

Most of people I work with are nice

Cons

Blatant favourtism, people in high positions making sligtly racist comments, some people on other teams acted like they were better than anyone and were really rude, Senior management blatantly unfair and did not care about their staff, they spent their days criticising others

My first experience working for public services - and lots of learning there

It was my first experience working with contracts management and operational procurement teams, within a local council. Was a good learning curve and learned so much about government, public services, process and governance, ethics and values of serving staff, equality and diversity, HR, recruitment, consultation, training management and suppliers management and more. With a bit of challenge with my line manager who was a nice hearted but a bit old school woman - managed to get lots of fab trainings and learning day experiences which paved my way for the next steps in my career moving on to my next role. Made a 7 grade jump to the next tole - which was a far better and more interesting role and pay and much more fun but in a different local authority. Despite quite a bit of efforts and many applications completed did not manage to secure a more senior grade role in Lambeth - which was a shame as it was / is my local council and close to home.

Pros

Good in house training, generally good colleagues, progressive cooperative council, good governance and public services values and practices

Cons

Low pay (which left me with much debt until now) and not much opportunity for career progression, for me at the time

Flexible working environment

Working as a team and coordinating with other departments is part of the working week . The team leaders are professional and supportive. The highways team in particular are well managed by the team leader.

Pros

Busy but rewarding work.

Cons

Good

I worked with Lambeth for 2 weeks and I was fascinated with the things that occur behind the company. I worked with excel quite a lot which boosted my understanding.

Workplace

Long Hours The structure and systems in place needs more work There is disengagement of departments The working culture is to laid back to execute anything

Great

Great place to work and people. Would recommend to anyone I left because I started my own business. They also give you opportunities to move up in the council, and offer training.

Evolving Local Authority

Recent change in senior leadership which will hopefully bring more strategic thinking to the table. Good new officers and flexi working is a strong positive.

Fantastic organisation with good flexible working policy

A very good employer and a good place to work with nice flexible working culture. Good leadership. Diverse workforce. Centrally located. Highly recommended.

Good

It was a beneficial apprenticeship and it’s good to gain new experiences in a new industry, I was going around different sites doing new jobs, It was good experience and it was a hands on job had me working to the best of my ability.

relaxed place to work

Lambeth council is a relax place to work but it is a shame that manager who are on 60k + dont really have to do much. They tend to push all their work onto people beneath them while they take days off and take numerous holidays. The council is very slow when relying to customers and very unprofessional in its approach to clients. The company is very unorganised and SLOW! The pay was also ridiculous compared to the work you had to do.

Pros

Work form home on certain days

Cons

Long hours, no support from managers or colleagues.

Fun place to work

Great work colleagues Good pay Opportunities for progression if you are self motivated Not the best at providing training for staff Hard to get things done as some sections of the council do not engage

Good place to work but awful management

I worked at Lambeth for over a year. I felt I was not appreciated by the management that were full of agendas and could not offer a decent contract. I miss my colleagues though, they were generous and kind.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Negative work environment

Fab place to work

Best job I ever had, fabulous working conditions, great team in my section. Interesting daily tasks, only left because I moved to rugby and didn’t earn enough to commute

Pros

Good job prospects

Fun place

Love working with children they make me love my job every day sone just need love and attention we have a massive diversity of culturas we also have a lot of SEN children we teach every day everyone is different but we are all unique and special each one of us gás something

Cons

Part time job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lambeth Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • Lambeth Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?