Lancashire Constabulary

Lancashire Constabulary Employee Reviews

Career rather than job. More of a vocation. Equal opportunities employer. Many varied roles to choose ranging from uniform patrol duties to specialist departments. You will be required to work full shifts at various stages as your career progresses,
I worked for Lancashire Police for nearly 30 years. In that time i worked in a number of roles from response , custody to CID.The operating bases in East do not work and this places its young staff under a lot of pressure. This then results in numbers being short on regular basis. This should of been addressed 5 years since , but it is still a huge issue.The custody office is also a huge issue at Burnley, opening , then closing usually when it is busy.In essence ACPO are so far out of touch in their ivory tower that response and custody are not valued.Very few of the senior leaders have spent time as a modern day response officer. The custody office is still seen as a dumping ground and punishment posting despite being a risky place to work in.
Pros
Good training, good staff, good use of detention officers.
Cons
Sickness is high, poor promotion prospects, long response drives to outlining villagers.
Jobs was fine until a girl starts stalking you and they cover it up because she's mentally ill. Stalking got so bad I had to leave. No support, just incompetent people covering their backside. If I man had done what she did then he'd have been sacked. I know of countless cases of this happening, saving them for a book.
Due to a lack in numbers and pressure I have found the workloads and expectancy far to great. I have suffered injuries and it has caused mental health issues for me.
Considering the responsibilities, the job is very poorly paid. It is consistently busy with a bell which constantly rings when there's calls in the queue. You are constantly watched and monitored. There is no promotion and lots of favouritism. A majority of the staff are great but I have witnessed one team leader aggressively shouting and belittling staff in view of the whole room
A Great place to work management where lovely the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. Great training given on the job training
Pay is very poor to start with, eventually rises to a decent salary (after 11 years) if Lancashire Constabulary address this issue the control room role will be rewarding, the job is incredibly important and can be stressful, the people in the control room are amazing and very supportive, I am proud to say I have worked for Lancashire Constabulary.
you get what you put in but when it goes wrong the force will not protect you. Massive experience of things most will never ever see, varied and fast paced
Pros
varied and at times exciting
Cons
limits family life and no protection if things go wrong
flexible working and part time hours work well with my family commitments outside my job. There is a on site free gym which is accessible for all staff
Was brilliant when I first started as a mechanic as a mechanic But soon as time went by management went badly down hill and there was no communication or trust put in by the vehicle fleet manager there was no bond from him to the workshop it was terrible and there was no motivation or help whennneeded other than that the charge hands were brilliant and so were the other mechanics
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Poor management no communication from the higher management
Nice working atmosphere, offer extensive training in whichever role you work in/ department you work for. I enjoy getting to learn each day about the world we live in.
the placement was great as it gave me good experience for my dream job in the future and it was really interesting to see how a CSI works and to work in the day of a life of a CSI
excellent in-house training, support given is second to none. Excellent communicating within the company and staff welfare comes first. Multiple options to develop oneself.
this volunteer role is fantastic for the teens, because it will give you the skills which you can't learn easily in other ways. This role is really great if you want to be in Police.
Cons
Working as a special constable is rewarding and engaging, working with all parts of the community as a police officer, it comes with a lot of responsibility but with full training provided they make sure you can tackle any obstacle.
As a Community Support Volunteer, you experience the more behind the scenes of Lancashire Constabulary as you work closely with a Community Policing Team. As a Community Support Volunteer, you play to your strengths and give as much time as possible, whether it's as an Administration Assistant, Event Volunteer or Beat Volunteer. There is a role for everyone.
Pros
You get to help a busy Police Force and take some of the load.
Cons
Sometimes people don't appreciate Police Volunteers living among them.
I arrive at work at 7.30 and finish at 4 I work flexible hours and sometimes work weekends. My job includes a various of things from grass cutting, weeding, line marking and leaf collection . I use a range of different equipment and I am also qualified in using pesticide . I am now looking for a new opportunity.
I work closely with the Police and deal mainly with low level crime on a council housing estate, speaking to members of the public and working with partner agencies. I learned organisation and planning, effective communication and team work. I also learned that people have different strengths and weaknesses and you must work together to deal with challenging problems to find the best possible solution. The management is very good and everyone knows their role well. The line managers are supportive and understanding, always wanting the best for the staff. The office is a productive, fun environment but can often be tense depending on the staff. There is clearly a divide between certain officers and people tend to sit and work with 'their team' and rarely deviate from this. The hardest part of the job is feeling that you are viewed as 'less' than a regular constable by members of the public, other police officers and society as a whole, which can often be demoralising. Also there is no prospect of promotion, other than joining the police as a 'regular'. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with like minded people who are kind considerate and fun, and improving the quality of life and security for the community. Also, each day is new and offers a different challenge as the role is so varied.
Pros
Helping the community
Cons
No promotion
Responded to emergency calls to variety of incidents ranging form personal matter to murders. As a result of employment within the police I have learned so much how to deal a variety scenarios ranging from assisting people with directions to getting hands on in effecting arrest, diffusing volatile situations but in general ensuring the members of the public felt safe and reassured and got the service they deserved. Problem solving is a huge part of the job as well as an up to knowledge.As a result of regular training and self study rules and regulations were complied with. This was enhanced safe in the knowledge that if you did not know the correct way to deal with a situation that a call to a work colleague or immediate supervision to assist in making a positive decision. Predominately you worked alone but being part of team you were reassured that if you got into tight situations your team mates were always on hand to help out. Management within the police are extremely supportive and where at all possible will encourage promotion and assist in that. One of the most enjoyable aspects of the job is customer satisfaction knowing you have done a good job for that person. For example catching and arresting the burglar who has stolen property, reuniting members of family after a loved has gone missing or even just being able to offer advice about a personal issue that affects them. Being a police officer for over 13 years I have witnessed and been involved in many incidents and feel that almost any scenario presented to me could be resolved by myself and if I did know the answer - more...
Pros
Customer satisfaction
Cons
Justice system failing the community with light sentences
During my time at Lancashire Constabulary I enjoyed working in a fast paced large scale environment, both with a team and individually. I enjoyed working with both members of my own team as well as colleagues from both internal and external departments, in order to achieve goals.
Well where do I start... i had a great career in the police, worked hard to get in and felt so proud of my achievement. First few years were so much fun you actually felt like you were doing the job you applied for, until you find it is a big cycle of dealing with the same people day in day out. You will become jack of all trades and make friends for life in this job, and these people make it all bearable as the banter and closeness of a team is like a family. You and them people will keep things going, that is the PCs & the SGTS, they are the ones keeping things safe and not having much of a family life and missing out on important milestones in their children's lives. The time you will give to this job will have you thinking you need to set up camp at your station, but you do it because you worked hard to get in this job you loved and years will go by and you will notice there's no thanks for what you do. Respect on the street is low you have to bite your tongue or else you will get complaint after complaint for speaking the truth. Unless you have a decent sgt rather than an acting one who is trying to impress ranks above, you are pretty much alone as they're usually not going to have your back. Most of the time you are single crewed as they want the place to look more busier with cops, never mind how unsafe that is! be prepared to stay over time, days off due to operations cancelled, spend hours stuck inside dealing with a prisoner and paperwork, or hours in a hospital with a prisoner pretending to be ill... basically a lot of your time will be wasted and there is nothing - more...