Lancashire County Council
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Lancashire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom249 reviews

A good place to work. P

LCC is a good place to work, however because many of its functions have to fit into a statutory framework, and roles are very specific, it struggles to change. It can be frustrating to see opportunities for positive change which aren't embraced by managers, because change often requires extensive extra work and evaluation, with no resources available to do it. Therefore there is a tendency for people and things to stay in their silos. Some (many) of the senior managers are stiff types who could and should loosen up a bit. It's as if someone told them that fun is banned in local government. That said, it's a secure place to work and their policies and procedures are protective and fair.

Pros

Fair wages, safe and secure working conditions

Cons

Hard to initiate or sustain meaningful change or development in working practices, even if you want to.

Productive and very engaging. Great people to work with and meet a spectrum of diverse people. Equips you with essential skills needed in the real world.

Pros

Free lunches

Fantastic place to work

I have been working in my team for 2 years now. I love working with children and families with disabilities. I find it challenging but rewarding at the same time. I'm in a really supportive team. I have a very good work life balance. I have a case load of been 22 and 19. This is manageable caseloads. There is lots to lure. Complex Child in Need, child protection, children in are care and mental capacity.

Pros

Working from home good work life balance.

Cons

All social worker in all local attractions need a pay rise.

Not good at all -find it a waste of life ambition (apart from the wage most frustrating and very rarely rewarding.

emphasis on learning the job but if its not a job you like and your there for money then they judge you on the fact that they think you are motivated by the job and not the money!! lack of understanding of work life balance and promotion on logitivity in post - which is OK some times but not at others - but its almost a policy.. complete over burden ON "Political correctness " to the detriment of all protected characteristic's fighting it out for who's the worse off!!

Pros

Pension, stability

Cons

stupid sick pay rules, unequal contracts for new starters, complicated rules and regulations, holiday and leave very difficult and not organised fairly

Hard work

Rarely see a manager, just get directives online. They work you really hard which makes the job really stressful and I find that I make mistakes because I don’t have time to think. The menus they provide are not brilliant, but at least they don’t seem to mind if you alter them in line with what your pupils like. They expect you to finish everything half an hour after you have served your last customer so you have to really rush to get out on time.

Pros

School holidays

Cons

No free meals

Great for Middle Management and above.

Very slow to realise that we are having a National care crisis and now have a shortage of staff. To many middle Managers with not enough experience and qualifications. It needs a good shake up ! To many people sitting on their pensions, that have lost all passion for supporting people.Staff abusing the over generous absence and sickness polices.

Pros

Regular supervisions

Cons

Not paid enough for working with complex individuals. To many staff abusing the sickness polices.

Great place to learn

Great place to learn your trade and progress up the ladder, gaining qualifications along the way. Not the best pay which is why they will always struggle to retain staff.

Pros

Good balance

Cons

Poor wage

Job secruity but not great pay

Working for LCC is a safe option, you get job security if you do your job well. The job is fast paced which is good but for what you do the pay isn't great. Higher management are not great, more staff are needed for the amount of work but they are slow to recruit and would rather just make the existing staff work to the bone. Colleagues are lovely and supportive and supervisors are mostly supportive, but they are also under pressure too.

Pros

Supportive and job security

Cons

Low pay and high workload

I've never had a problem, always managed to fit around family life, down side is management favour people and let them off with what others wouldn't get away with, so can be quite unfair at times.

Pros

Holiday pay

Cons

Not enough pay for what you do.

Brilliant Workplace

Such supportive staff environment, and always opportunities for CPD, extra training. The most rewarding job I have ever worked, would still be there had it not been for moving locations.

Pros

Rewarding work

Cons

None!

I enjoy working in a caring environment.

I'm 61 now and fairly fit. I want to retire from lcc and try something different. I would enjoy been part of the nhs team . Team work is everything. New experiences

Pros

Part time work.

Cons

New experiences

Positive place to work

In the economic development, environment and planning directorate. Planning and implementing infrastructure and economic development projects. The department is generally positive with support from managers, a good work ethic and comradeship. Work is interesting and varied. Good level of initial induction, occupational and workplace training

Pros

Job package benefits, free parking, nr transport links

Cons

Limited career advancement, public sector salary

Just a great place to work.

I was extremely lucky to have been able to gain employment, (as a Catering Assistant), during the pandemic. The process from start to finish was relaxed yet speedy.There was a phone interview, followed by a face to face, a DBS check and next thing I know I'm gainfully employed. Management are friendly and approachable, many of whom have done the job before, which always makes things easier.Hours are Part time and can be permanent or Casual (so you can literally choose when to work if Casual).Hours fit perfectly around my Son which-as a single parent-is very important. Plus I get to spend all school holidays at home which is definitely a huge perk. The team members are friendly and the school staff and pupils are really welcoming. You get to build real friendships within the work environment. I am one happy employee and would recommend Lancashire County Council as a great, Parent friendly employer who will do their utmost to work with you.

Pros

Great environment

Great employee

Great place to work, very secure job good management, contracted hours never any problem with wages. Good training and help always available, overall good place to work

Pros

Contracted hours

Relaxed and enjoyable workplace

Love the job and everyone I have spoken to is really nice! Very relaxed atmosphere! Work is very enjoyable and love getting logged on and starting my day. Tasks are varied and the job is far from boring!

Pros

Flexible start and finishes

Passenger Assistant

Great job if you only want part-time hours.You get the same route and driver all the time.Good pay for what you do, management ok can take a bit long to sort a problem out but otherwise willing to sort problems out.

Pros

Not hard work

Cons

Split shifts

Work place

It is a very good company to work for . It has the best team ever the manager is very understanding and it is like a big family everyone is every supportive

Pros

Good team

Ok to work for

I worked in various school kitchens for a while. I think I liked being casual where I'd go to different schools helping out. It was always fast paced and time went quickly.

Pros

Cons

Sometimes didnt get many hours being a casual

OK job, management is terrible

I worked here for a little over 2 months and had to leave due to what i believe to be constructive dismissal as the manager was rude, unpleasant and had no interpersonal skills at all. I mostly enjoyed the job but it was just sad I had to leave because of unprofessional management.

Excellent benefits and flexible working but clueless management

Worked for social services as admin assistant with large hospital based team and for three years. Overall loved the work and those I worked with, had a fantastic team manager but sadly she was not my immediate line manager because I technically belonged to the admin pool so was therefore under the jurisdiction of a general office manager located over 20 miles away and I only ever saw every few months for a planned, utterly pointless supervision or planned trip to see her about something totally inane. Was with the same team for four years at the same hospital and knew the job inside out then higher ups decided the skills and knowledge I had were well placed working with a different office doing a totally different job and couldn't see the detriment it would cause to the team I'd be leaving behind. When I and the team manager took exception to being pulled out, they responded by reiterating the fact I was part of the admin pool and they could draft in another person to fill my post. The team manager gave her written notice and I did too. Salary and benefits including holidays, flexible working and similar always above and beyond most companies when it's for local authority but sadly it also means the senior managers and higher ups ruin what is otherwise a great work ethos with petty and ridiculous demands over the most trivial things. Think the majority of staff that worked in the admin pool were happy to just do the odd bit of typing, pick up and sort post or photocopy and most worked the bare minimum hours, took flex-leave even when the place was manic and flat out -

Pros

Good salary, paid holiday leave, flexi-working time, secure long term employment

Cons

Policies allow others to swing lead, poor management, generic managers with no clue about individual team or service

Loved my time here

I absolutelyoved working for LCC. Everyone was lovely. Management was supportive and the training was second to none. I only left due to the going back to studying.

Pros

Excellent staff

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lancashire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Lancashire County Council with

• Lancashire County Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?