Language Empire

Language Empire Pay & benefits reviews: Interpreter

Clear
2.3Pay & benefits

Mixed opinion

At the beginning I was very happy to work for LA but LA suddenly decided to lower rates and were constantly changing rules on paying for transport. Sometimes I agreed to a rate and transport expenses but by the time the assignment came, they changed rules of paying and I had no other choice but do an assignment for half of what I agreed with them. I could not drop an assignment because I would be charged a cancellation fee (pay was not a sufficient reason for cancellation). It got to a point where I had to bargain with them and had to have it on writing. They made me to find another job. They were great when they were paying what they promised...

Pros

Flexibility, my own boss.

Cons

Pay

Flexible working hours

Flexible working hours. Helpful staff. Late payment. You have to pay for your transport. No training. Different environments for different jobs. Meeting new people.

Low pay and disrespectful

This company is a disgrace to the profession, and I hope they disappear from the market. I have my worst work experience with them. And to make things worse they have recently lowered their rates of pay. They have a very unjust cancellation policy; you have to give them notice 10 days in advance or you have to pay a charge, but they only need to give you 2 hours notice if they choose to cancel. Please do not work for them!

Pros

I cannot think of any

Cons

Low pay, late pay and everything else

They have improved

Good assignments,nice clients. It is true that you have to wait 2months for your payment but it has now been several months that they pay always on time and there are no mistakes in my payslips (time, quantity of jobs etc.) Unfortunately they reduced significantly the pay and introduced useless assessments for interpreters. The booking coordinators are kind and never push you into accepting jobs you don't want to do(for example because of distance-they don't pay for travel time or mileage). Overall, I enjoy working for them.

Pros

Correct timely payments, lot of good clients

Cons

Neverending assessments for interpreters and low pay

There system dose not make since

I like interpreting works but they do not care about the interpreters at all. Their system is Full of mistake and no one can take responsibility. you should contact another department. you will get paid a minimum three months after you complete the assignment. they do not have a good reputation and its not a secure place to work in

Poorly Managed Company - AVOID!

I have stopped working for LE for the following reasons 1> You have to chase for payments this can go on for several months they will not put you through to accounts , you have to send mails but they don't respond but they will 'log' a ticket for your complaint but its ticks the box - they don't get back to you. 2> Cancellation Policy - as an interpreter you cannot cancel within 10 working days without receiving a penalty but they can cancel on the day without a payment to the interpreter - these should be more aligned and fair. 3> The agency will lie/mislead and tell you one rate but when you do finally get paid they pay the standard not the agreed rate. 4> The Management team do not care whatsoever about the position they put the interpreters in when not paying on time and refer to LE T&C on occasions if paperwork not received (don't pay interpreter), if late (fine interpreter) yet don't follow their own T&C around payment schedules. 5> The more work you do for them the less your hourly rate as a loyalty bonus and you also have to wait longer for payment the more assignments you do for them. Best advice I can give is don't work for LE, they need to realise without interpreters they simply don't have a business. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!

Pros

Flexible Hours

Payment as Freelance Interpreter

I did Jobs for them in the 2nd half of July. Now I am in October 2018 and haven't been paid yet. They have a payment schedule on the Interpreter Hub now. It is showing that I will be paid after 50 days. Jobs I am doing in October 2018 is expected to be paid in January 2019, no Christmas joy. Yes, it is just beyond belief. As a freelancer they expect you to maintain yourself for all this time while they invoice their contractor and keep the money at the expense of the you as an interpreter. If you continue to work for them for a month then after 50 days they pay a week worth of payment only at a time. The main issue with this company is that they are a language providing service company that does NOT want to pay the linguists working for it. They are happy to keep proceeds from their contractors and do not care about you as a linguist getting paid. They seem to be trying hard to improve on communication and the web linguist interface but the issue of payment to linguists remains as it is the case from the old bad days. Unless this fundamentally changes my advice to linguists we remain. AVOID WORKING FOR LANGUAGE EMPIRE.

Unpaid continuos assessments for interpreters

They submit their inerpreters every month to undergo unpaid assessments over the phone.They last about half an hour each one and consist in answering numerous questions about the role of interpreter, confidentiality etc.It is really annoying and stressful as you feel like having an interview or a speaking exam and you waste time which you could use to do one or two assignments. In addition they are in the process of reducing already low rates of payment and you have to pay £5 to get an ID card when you start working with them.

Pros

Kind coordinators

Cons

Unpaid stressful assignments

Language Empire

LE was the worst experience of my life, they never commit in writing to any last minute request they make to convince to take work with them, never pay the full amount and when they pay the money is paid more than 3 months after finishing the task

Pros

choosing my hours of work

Cons

everything else

They never pay!

I have worked for them on the 20th December 2017. Now we are in March 30th 2018 and I still didn’t get paid for the assignment I did for them. I had to drive and pay for parking to do the work and I still didn’t get paid a penny! They keep calling me as they need my service and I only ask to get paid before I ever work for them again and they always have an excuse and never pay! Stay away from Language Empire.

They don't pay!

I have been doing assignments for Language Empire for almost 3 months and still not received a single payment. Terrible. My advice is to avoid at all costs.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Don't pay you or respond to any emails

lots of bookings , good starting point

Good company to start with, could be faster with payment, gives first time interpreters a chance to start their career. Good training an opportunity for travel, chance to freelance and save money.

rates below standard min & delay payments every month

rouge company paying low rates to its interpreters & by the look of things taking circa 50% of the commission for themselves. Always late with payments ( takes them min 25 to 40 working days to process payments to interpreters ) you need to chase it anyways! Would not recommend as it is a shabby operation. Also they do not vet their employees whatsover which can result in unqualified interpreters being sent through to NHS or Probation/ Legal services.

Pros

zero

Cons

low pay/ delayed payments/ no vetting procedure amongst interprets

Not good company to work with

They paid you low rate and they never paid you on time , I need to emailed them every month asked for the payment , if you want to contact them , you can't ring you need to write to them because they don't answer your phone and you need to wait 2 or 3 days , then they will answered your email. The organisation is not good , specially the payment but the admins staff are lovely and hopeful.

low pay rates and problems with payments

I've done many jobs for LE and must say that not only pay rates are one of the lowest but there is a big issue when you want to get paid. If you don't ask for your money you will not get them and even when you finally manage to get through to the finance team it takes ages. Also be aware that if you accept the booking and cannot attend due to emergency and will give them less than 24 hours notice they will charge you penalty fine of £50! And the list of penalties and fines is quite long...

Pros

extra income

Cons

problem to get paid, lack of structure and organisation

Good company and can easily get your foot in the door

A good company that allows graduates to start interpreting. Good hourly rates which can be raised once completing further qualifications.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Language Empire. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5