Leeds Beckett University

Leeds Beckett University Employee Reviews

- Fun to work for open days - Good hourly pay - Casual work - Friendly staff and students - Very relaxed and caual workplace culture - Get to meet a lot of people
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Early start
LBU needs to refocus its attentions on actively providing a positive and inclusive working environment that enables high quality teaching and learning for all.
Pros
Campus, active and supportive University College Union, two superb campuses: one in the heart of the city and the other in fashionable Headingly, very well equipped with the latest classroom tech and excellent IT department, fantastic lending services available 24/7
Cons
Long hours, unrealistic deployment and expectations, inexperienced management, needs to focus attention and funds on students.
Clearly you do need someone black or brown to come and work at your facility as black people do not refer to themselves as coloured people. It’s either black, brown or white. There’s no green yellow blue etc therefore don’t call people coloured people . Before you advertise a post use appropriate wording and get straight to the point. I pray for the people that are at your facilities. It’s shocking that there’s not one person that stopped you from posting this inappropriate to post!
Cons
Lack of diversity, history and culture
My role dealt exclusively with customer needs - both internal and student-based. Customers are often unable to articulate the types of printing they require for their studies, and it was my job to guide them and to suggest improvements to their work that would result in higher grades. To do so, my role would lean heavily on telephone conversations, followed by one-to-one discussions over the counter, where I could then present to them examples of different types of finishing and design options, leaving it to them to make their decisions. Eventually, customers would be calling on me based on happy experiences from previous encounters, and, before long, an informal relationship would develop that would make subsequent dealings far more easy-going and friendly. Some of these customers actually became friends, and I shot a wedding for one of the more important internal customers (she was the bride). My customer feedback was always exemplary, and I was awarded with a Above and Beyond certificate for 'thinking outside the box' in regards to a particularly challenging printing requirement, which resulted in my tenacity giving the customer a clear understanding of the options our department could provide. I find talking to and solving problems for customers immensely enjoyable and fulfilling. It keeps my mind sharp and my social skills razor-sharp. To me, it was the reason why I enjoyed my time working for the University.
The institution is a great place for those passionate about teaching and learning. Staff collaborate across a range of disciplines to create meaningful learning experiences for both the students and their colleagues. A typical day at work includes addressing student emails, designing and delivering lecture and seminar content, and attending formal and informal meetings (often passing by in the corridor). One of the most friendly atmospheres to work, with plenty of opportunity for interaction with colleagues across the university.
I was a student and learned a great deal here. I worked in a team of consultants to assist a start-up coffee roasting business establish itself online.
I loved working for Leeds beckett but there wasent many days working. It would be 10 hour shifts but only once a month or so but we'd only work when they needed us.
Depends upon your department, but I think mostly everywhere is a bit stressful and busy. My role was ok, not that busy. Management of departments is an issue. But the benefits and salary are actually really good.
We listen to our fellow students, report back to our course leaders. Learned how to translate peoples needs into improving the teaching environment. We work amongst other students as well as other lecturers. The toughest aspect is trying to help lecturers alter modules or their teaching methods to accommodate to students needs.
Friendly Team busy enviroment . Got to be prepared to work hard and use iniative and common sense. All Staff are appreciated when they do a good job. Opportunities for those that are looking for promotion.
Pros
Mainly Monday to Friday occasional weekends and evenings
For my course (Sp&Ex therapy), the time within the injury treatment and teaching clinic at Headingley campus was invaluable and a very necessary requirement in making the most of the teaching of course content.
Great place to learn and develop new skill. While been there i have also learned how to work as a member of group as well as coming out of my comfort zone.
A good company to work for, great work life balance. Career progression very slow. Good holidays and pay probably above the average for the role what i was doing.
Look after their staff. Great culture. Friendly colleagues, everyone helps each other . flexible and accomodating trainign provided if and when needed.
With studying and having another job, Leeds Beckett allowed me to work whenever I could. Duriing each shift, I had a variety of roles. Roles included: showing prospectove students around campus, registering prospective students, showing people where to go, helping to set-up/pack away and talking to students about my course.
Day to day work is varied and flexible, the role continually improves my interpersonal skills engagine with people from all walks of life around the world. The culture is fun and friendly, I've made so many friends and we all feel like we are working together. Management is very bureaucratic, but I have no complains of my managers, we always got along really well. The most enjoyable part is working with people face to face and seeing them smile when you've provided a great service.
Pros
Fun & Friendly
Cons
No avenues for advancement
Enjoyable, exciting environment. Student focused and surrounded by education. I have learnt how to be self motivated and make opportunities to learn and develop myself whilst doing my job. Not many opportunities for promotion but they pay well and the benefits of working for Leeds Beckett out way this.
Pros
Beautiful campuses
No promotion or progression if your face doesn’t fit! Salary and benefits good. Environment good and a good salary progression spine, flexi time available for lower grade jobs
Pros
Holiday entitlement
Cons
No progression
Great overall but the department I work in is diabolical. Resource and systems are rubbish. Management state the obvious and have just got their jobs on time in role
Each Open Day was different. I was placed with a different team, all of whom were energetic and were very good with showing me how to 'sell' the university to potential students. Gaining the job as a student ambassador was valuable experience, and I would highly recommend it to anyone
Was an excellent place to complete my work experience whilst I was at college. Gave me an insight into the job that I would ideally like to pursue a career in.