Leeds City Council

United Kingdom270 reviews

Insights into Leeds City Council

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

You make it what its worth

Nice place to work. Friendly staff. Work set shifts same every week. Can progress up the management structure if you want. Uniform is provided. Great holiday benifits

Pros

Great staff welfare

Cons

Weekend working

Laid back employer.

Good for home working. Not much management support. Large and impersonal. Have a complicated appraisal system which gets everyone's backs up and difficult to complete.

Pros

Pension Scheme

Cons

Limited promotion opportunities

Like school…

I couldn’t wait to finish my contract with LCC…I have had better jobs. They didn’t have enough staff because of cost cutting. The phones just didn’t stop.

Pros

Little support

Cons

Little support

Not the best of places to work

After working for the company for 5 years, there is very little promotion avenues as the people who reach the top positions normally stay until retirement. This is said to be a job for life so I would not encourage anyone to work here under 30. The workplace I work in is very uncomfortable and judgemental. The flexibility to work from home and different places is good but the flexibility with time is alright as you are still required to work the working hours every day, there is no option to spread this over the week instead. So if you log on at 10/11, be prepared to work until 5.30/6.30. The team isn’t inclusive and there are no team events arranged like staff parties or Christmas do’s anymore as we have all been broken apart in the new restructure. Pension scheme is good. Management team for myself is horrendous and do not care about the staff beneath. All that is cared for is that there are bums on the seats. The only time they will contact is if something goes wrong, there are no well dones or thank yous. Mental health matters they are incredibly poor with and do not check up on their staff. Overall, quite a poor workplace!

Good team, good job security

I work with a good team, the manager is very supportive and knowledgeable. I enjoy being part of the larger structure of Leeds City Council as it has good values.

Supportive and a high level of care received by young people

Considering how many councils and private companies I’ve worked for over … 20 years.I’d consider them one of the best!They ensured that I was supported and the level of care the kids received was of a high standard!What really was beneficial and a very important ingredient was that I had an excellent manager!

Good place, nice team

9-5 Monday to Friday. Great team who all work well together. Busy job and the day flies by. Management are great and supportive. Hardest part of the role is you can be doing the same thing everyday.

Work place

Great place miss it , I did few they cared about me. Hours were ok and building was ok Did like the job and the people a lot. Would go back if I could

Highly recommend a job working within Leeds city council

Loved been a lcc employeeI Felt part of a team & school holidays are a bonus Management are helpful & available to talk to you about any concerns you may have .

Pros

Good hourly rate of pay School holidays off Full Sick pay for six months

Cons

Stressful at busy periods

Management abit lacking and lazy. Will chamge shifts as and when they plz and abuse thier assistants in my experience as been one of them. Leeds city council is a great place to work as long as u have the correct manager,

Pros

Job for life and good benefits.

Cons

Lazy management.

Not great... at the minute

Leeds council are going through a huge restructure and it has dramatically changed the dynamic, a lot of staff are overworked and underpaid for the work they do, the management do not offer much support when issues are raised so staff are either leaving or going off on long term sickness due to health reasons.

Pros

Good colleagues, work life balance

Cons

Management (not all though), overworked (depending on service) and underpaid

Enjoyable work

I love being face to face interpreter because I get to meet people. Its a flexible job which is what I need. I wish I can get more hours. The people in charge I deal with are very nice, although I never met any staff

Pros

not much jobs available

Cons

flexible

Fast paced environment.

A fast paced environment and a good after work social life with a decent pension.. Good quality training so you can give customers an excellent service. Room for promation.

Pros

A dynamic and diverse workforce

Cons

The calls can be complex.

Productive and high integrity.

My work with LCC was productive as I achieved most of the objectives and targets of the Department by reducing spend on homecare. The only issue was that training was not good enough due to shortage of funds to cater for Training and Development of staff especially when I joined work.

Pros

Different courses for training

Cons

Short duration max two days training

Highways

Great place to work for starting out or the older generation about to retire. I prefer being on proper building sites but for a steady number and a good crack this is a great job. Pay is very average but always OT all year round.

Pros

Good hours, progression routes

Cons

Complacency, wages

Good company

Good pay hourly rate goes up every april Nice peopleGood pension scheme Management sometimes hard to get hold of Automatically get put in a union but with the options to opt out

Pros

Fair pay

Cons

Mostly only part time hours for cleaners

Break something that's fixed

Having worked for the council from 2006-2016 most of those years I worked as a cleaner then I was transferred to another leisure centre and was invested in by the manager who put me through the gym course and kettle bell course. Moving on 2014 the fitness manager decided to cut the manning in the gym I was then told I had little options but to travel to 3 leisure centres to get in 15hrs this was very stressful I left to work for NHS what a joke that is.

Pros

Free use of pool, gym if you're interested will invest in training for different purposes.

Cons

Unnecessary travel to multiple centres

Nice place to work

I had a really good Manager but most of the Managers do not know how to help front line staff because they do not have enough knowledge and on one occasion I was told by a Manager that she could not answer my querie because she didn't know how to do what I had asked her for help with. Luckily staff help each other as most of the Managers when I worked there really could not do our jobs so we're not helpful when we had queries. My Manager was very knowledgeable and extremely helpful but a lot of others were not.

Pros

Good working environment

Cons

Lack of knowledge by Management but that may have changed

Exciting, productive and opportunistic workplace.

Leeds City Council cares about its employees and pays well. If you are interested in career progression, you are more likely to get paid better in the future and there are great opportunities to get qualifications which will allow you to progress in your chosen career.If you are not interested in career progression It is worth looking for a job higher paid elsewhere.

Pros

With working at a Leisure Centre, I get free gym and swim.

Cons

Required to work some early starts, late finishes and weekend shifts.

Awful job culture

Work can be stressful with expected number of queries to be resolved and team leaders are not very understanding of this stress. Everything is about productivity and statistics. They say that they want the customer to be satisfied, but if that was the case, they would make more of the poor standard customer service officers go back into training about how to be respectful towards customers in general. There is a discriminating culture amongst some of the TL's and managers don't want staff to address it, it makes them feel uncomfortable. If you are considered attractive, even amongst the female TL's, and even if you are not particularly good at your job, you are more likely to advance in your career. Team leaders go unpunished even when they have discriminated against staff members because everything is about statistics...LCC want to be known as Diverse, fair and understanding employer. They are in fact bullies, liars, disrespectful. Team leaders will make you feel unintelligent and worthless. There is no room for progression, like they try to convince you of in the interviews and nothing is confidential. TL's discuss private information with other staff members and encourage favouritism. The only enjoyable thing about working for LCC is the pay, working alongside some of the rare nice people that work there and the general work. The atmosphere and management make it almost not worth the trouble of working there.

Pros

pay

Cons

bullying, discriminating, disrespectful, favouritism

Personal and Professional Experience

Senior managers are managed by the Union Reps. Poor morale among staff who only stay because of better rates of pay and benefits compared to private sector. QA team come into the service and slate the staff who have worked so hard over the pandemic.

Pros

Enhanced rates of pay, staff commitment

Cons

Staffing levels, Culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leeds City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement