Leeds City Council

Leeds City Council Employee Reviews

Great place to work for starting out or the older generation about to retire. I prefer being on proper building sites but for a steady number and a good crack this is a great job. Pay is very average but always OT all year round.
Pros
Good hours, progression routes
Cons
Complacency, wages
Good pay hourly rate goes up every april Nice peopleGood pension scheme Management sometimes hard to get hold of Automatically get put in a union but with the options to opt out
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
Mostly only part time hours for cleaners
Having worked for the council from 2006-2016 most of those years I worked as a cleaner then I was transferred to another leisure centre and was invested in by the manager who put me through the gym course and kettle bell course. Moving on 2014 the fitness manager decided to cut the manning in the gym I was then told I had little options but to travel to 3 leisure centres to get in 15hrs this was very stressful I left to work for NHS what a joke that is.
Pros
Free use of pool, gym if you're interested will invest in training for different purposes.
Cons
Unnecessary travel to multiple centres
I had a really good Manager but most of the Managers do not know how to help front line staff because they do not have enough knowledge and on one occasion I was told by a Manager that she could not answer my querie because she didn't know how to do what I had asked her for help with. Luckily staff help each other as most of the Managers when I worked there really could not do our jobs so we're not helpful when we had queries. My Manager was very knowledgeable and extremely helpful but a lot of others were not.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Lack of knowledge by Management but that may have changed
Leeds City Council cares about its employees and pays well. If you are interested in career progression, you are more likely to get paid better in the future and there are great opportunities to get qualifications which will allow you to progress in your chosen career.If you are not interested in career progression It is worth looking for a job higher paid elsewhere.
Pros
With working at a Leisure Centre, I get free gym and swim.
Cons
Required to work some early starts, late finishes and weekend shifts.
Work can be stressful with expected number of queries to be resolved and team leaders are not very understanding of this stress. Everything is about productivity and statistics. They say that they want the customer to be satisfied, but if that was the case, they would make more of the poor standard customer service officers go back into training about how to be respectful towards customers in general. There is a discriminating culture amongst some of the TL's and managers don't want staff to address it, it makes them feel uncomfortable. If you are considered attractive, even amongst the female TL's, and even if you are not particularly good at your job, you are more likely to advance in your career. Team leaders go unpunished even when they have discriminated against staff members because everything is about statistics...LCC want to be known as Diverse, fair and understanding employer. They are in fact bullies, liars, disrespectful. Team leaders will make you feel unintelligent and worthless. There is no room for progression, like they try to convince you of in the interviews and nothing is confidential. TL's discuss private information with other staff members and encourage favouritism. The only enjoyable thing about working for LCC is the pay, working alongside some of the rare nice people that work there and the general work. The atmosphere and management make it almost not worth the trouble of working there.
Pros
pay
Cons
bullying, discriminating, disrespectful, favouritism
Senior managers are managed by the Union Reps. Poor morale among staff who only stay because of better rates of pay and benefits compared to private sector. QA team come into the service and slate the staff who have worked so hard over the pandemic.
Pros
Enhanced rates of pay, staff commitment
Cons
Staffing levels, Culture
must be flexible working as a team player can be difficult if the others are not on board still pretty good job pay needs upping a bit to compensate weekends
Pros
nil
Cons
few
I enjoyed working on a contract here. Very flexible working arrangements when my elderly dad was taken Ill & in hospital. Variety of work was good. I got lots of training & support & was able to suggest process improvements. Great people to work with.
Pros
Flexible wfh & start times etc
Work as an LGV driver for Leeds city council , I have never had an issue with management always found the ones I’ve dealt with to be more than fair . I have found if you get on with your job without issue you get left alone and it’s an easy ride to pay day with plenty of overtime opportunities. Some staff can be a little lazy and work on the old school council mentality and will try to instill thst work ethic into you . Don’t let them and you’ll get along fine
Pros
Security, pension, flexible
Cons
Pc always in the public eye
I enjoy my job but it is difficult and stressful in a management role and I don’t think the pay is reflective of the amount of work. I appreciate public sector isn’t as well paid but I would expect a little more.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Pay isn’t as good as private sector
Over the years I have worked with Leeds City Council I have found a high level of hard work and dedication not often found in other organisations. There really is a very professional ethos at LCC and that is mixed with common sense and a touch of humour makes it very pleasant workplace.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
politics
My time there was bad my area officer bullied staff and if you stud up to him you was punished if you was off sick like I did with a ruptured Achilles’ tendon you was seriously punished
Pros
Work lads are good lads
Cons
It's OK. Worked as a contractor for a few months. Great group of people kn the service desk. It's a great place to start your IT career before progressing.
I have a varied role that I really enjoy. I work as part of a great team. However, my role is part time and I need a second part time role to supplement my income.
This review only pertains to the Public Health function within the council, I can't give a review of the rest of the organisation. Some great people and projects to work on. The city has a good, deserved reputation for excellence in the field of informatics.
Gone from brilliant to work for to very bad to work for in the 10 years I've been here. Looking for alternative employment . Do not look after workforce who are not office based
I love working for Leeds City Council. It has given me the best opportunities to progress and made sure I have had help every step of the way. It’s great!
Although I really enjoy working at this school I feel I am ready for a new challenge and a fresh start in a new environment. I have got the skills to work in more challenging places and am confident a difference in other children's here but I am just ready for a change.
I loved working for Leeds City Council, there was always career progression and great people to work with. I would definitely recommend working for them.
Was short lived due to personal circumstances, but I enjoyed my time. The managers were welcoming, and the customers fun. I would have enjoyed it if i could stay longer.
  1. Employee reviews