Legal & General logo
Legal & General

Legal & General Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Fun place to work

Good place to work with Great benefits.I was unlucky and had a manager who had obvious favourites and wouldn't help me progress no matter how many times I asked or tried.

Pros

Staff parties

Cons

Poor managers-

Terrible place to work.

Manufacturing supposedly affordable homes using non trades people and paying peanuts. Advertised at twenty odd grand a year but have to work a 44 hour week to earn that. Agency that recruits say you get ten pound odd an hour after 12 weeks with them but its all lies it could be well over a year before you get that pay rise. Most of the management are from car manufacturing industries etc and not construction .

Pros

When its home time.

Cons

long hours, bad management and poor pay.

Worked for L&G for 12 months so far

Amazing place to work, I don't think I will ever leave the company. Friendly staff, great office and job benefits. If you have the chance to join 100% go for it. I started on a fixed term contract and got a permanent job within a month or two.

operative

all I can say about this company they may have skilled tradesmen working there but they're not the ones calling the shots the management is so bad and confusing I was using a CNC beam saw 2-man operation ask my manager when somebody's off are on annual leave how can I get some help I was told that he could not justify giving me help because he won't have to take somebody off somewhere else the product I was pulling off this machine weight 29 kg4kg more then law

Cons

No reflexes, no urgency and no experience

Time to grow up... Dreaming of building cars while the client waits for a house. Timewaster central. No reflexes, no urgency and no experience. Clueless and headed for an iceberg.

Pros

Floor Operatives Good People

Cons

Everything Else

Has its benefits but many many bad points

Managers are annoying and they give yh a tonne of work to do without any help. The only good thing is incentives with pay. They are always under pressure and many many complaints from customers

It's all about what colour hat you wear.

Interpersonal skills leave a lot to be desired when speaking with management.Most folk are ok and most part are a good bunch. If your a yellow hat everything seems to be blamed on you.I was let go after my 6 month probation and frankly if certain individuals didn't maybe single people and and kinda put em down so much they may be respected a little more.Good luck to whoever works here.

Pros

Mostly nice people

Cons

Long day, unprofessional managers.

Fantastic place to work - job has meaning and team demonstrate purpose

Management show understanding and flexibility towards the team. If you get stuck into your work they empower you to make decisions good freindly place to work with high standards .

Pros

Shares and good contributory pension scheme, holiday purchase, scheme

Cons

Non

People wanting to suceed a set up preventing this

A frustrating place going round in circles with processes; designs & assembly layouts. Systems & departments don't interact with each other. Workforce disillusioned high turnover of staff in all disciplines & at all levels.Peaks & troughs with workflow mainly troughs people trying to look busy with nothing to do through no fault of theirs.

Pros

Salary; canteen when open;people

Cons

Lack of leadership/direction. Ignore lessons learnt.

Shocking bully culture

Stick to insurance legal & general because if they had Lego they still couldn't build a house right. 5 years in the making and not one house has been built right two sites collapsed because of incompetent recruitment in priority roles. I worked there almost 2 years and was systematically bullied out. Senior management incompetent and unprofessional junior management worse. Team leaders to many too count and only 2 of them have any skill at all. This place is synonymous with jobs for the boys. Only good thing was the free umbrella. Just because you can build a car legal & general doesn't mean you can build a house, the house that Jack built was better and that a nursery rhyme. Don't work there and even more so do not buy a house you will regret it.

Jobs at Legal & General

See more jobs

Awful place to work

Before you accept a job here, ask these questions;- How many people have you suspended this month- How many “saleable” homes have you produced in total- Describe the culture and views of the shop floor towards the companyI’ve never experienced a company with a more hostile, toxic culture. Whilst the shop floor staff are good with strong team leads, there is a distinct divide between shop floor and management. These guys hand out suspensions and disciplinarians like there tic tacs. If your face doesn’t fit you’ll simply be hounded out of the company with no recourse.The shop floor is extremely negative due to inter fighting between departments where some staff regularly look to watch and report each other. Some staff are suspended or disciplined for doing something whilst others are left to do the same thing unhindered. The union is powerless to protect you against L&G. If you have a problem, you are the problem.The company tries to implement very advanced processes such as 6-sigma but can’t even implement simple methodologies such as Kanban or achieve line balance. A few specific managers are totally inept in there roles which makes any kind of progress exceedingly difficult. The manufacturing mindset is entirely geared towards automation and precision due to the automotive / Rolls Royce background of most of the manufacturing team where the design, process and materials do not lend themselves to this. If you value job security and positive change I would say steer well clear of this place, the sararies are pretty good but it simply isn’t worth it. Don’t think your -

Pros

Wages are above average

Cons

Toxic culture, poor management, total lack of job security

Run for your life

The only reason people are there at the moment is due to the run up to Christmas, you will see a huge decline of staff in the new year. Managers are useless and Milky Bar kid (manager) is a sulky petulant boy hated by everyone on the shop floor, doesn't have a clue what he is talking about and his favourite words at the minute are "Mask & 2 Metres"Yellow hats are the minions and looked down on, spoke down too and highly disrespected by office staff and all management. The wage is good and the people on the shop floor are fantastic, but that's it!!! There is nowhere decent to eat breakfast or lunch unless it's in your car, the days are laboriously long (9.5 hours) and sometimes you are stood about all day with nothing to do trying to look busy so as not to get in trouble, as again someone with a degree has messed up an order or measurement which means the shop floor comes to a stop.I'm sure if the BIG boss of L and G paid a surprise visit there would be some knee shaking and pant pooping going on within the management side, as he would see it for what it really is "a shambles".

Pros

Shop floor staff

Cons

Everything except shop floor staff

Do not waste your time

That place is a joke, clueless management with 0 construction background.I agree with all bad reviews,if you are wearing yellow hat you will be ignored all the time,and that's the fact.Just read other reviews, it's says everything. A lot of good lads waisting their potential there, you don't need to be one of them.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Everything else

Good company to work for, though constant changes

Good benefits, ie shares, holiday, sick pay, flexible working.Progression encouragedOn the job training Good leadership However constant changes to management, teams, job cuts

Pros

Company benefits

Cons

Constant job cuts to enhance company profits

pull your weight, support a good manager, get rid of a useless one, be inclusive and address a poor performance straight away.

Worked for the company for over 10 years, seen all the recent changes. Management was useless, in constant meetings about nothing. Clueless bunch... used to be a nice i place to work... If you are a great people manager or you are lucky enough to get one, you’ll have a great time, enjoy your job and have good work/home life balance. Otherwise you’ll be dreading going to your desk as there is no one to ask, no proper training given , no development, except for the chosen ones.So my advice is, pull your weight, support a good manager, get rid of a useless one, be inclusive and kind, however address a poor performance straight away, either by offering help or an additional training. To be fair, I left a few years ago now and truly hope things have improved! Still love the place and my hardworking colleagues!

Pros

Interesting job, opportunity to move internally between departments, opportunity to join volunteer schemes, Employee Benefits

Cons

As at any large organisation, any improvements or changes take place slowly, Not always addressing bad performance appropriately, and In my opinion it affects morale. no more free/bonus shares for employees at the end of the year, thanks to CEO

I feel happy working for legal and general modular

I started working for legal and general MH over 2yeras now I have always been treated with respect and treated fairly. I really apreciate having a work place like that. Obviously every place has its challenges but we are keeping improving day by day. The place is growing very fast. To be honest I am very excited for the future of the company. Overall I am very happy.

Pros

Great products and great people and exciting future ahead.

Cons

I dont have any. Evey place has its own challenges. its normal

Discrimination central

You only get the pay rises and training depending on who you are, very high staff turn over, let us go home for 1 month for lockdown, if you're unfortunate enough to not have to shield you owe 150 banked hours and have holidays taken off you and not even a thank you, kiss my butt, nowt, if you have 4-6 months off due to shielding you don't have to give 150hrs back and have full holiday entitlement

Pros

Cons

The whole thing is a con

Don't

Would avoid as it isn't an enjoyable place. Management lack skills and just try to advance themselves. Not a happy atmosphere. Lots of back stabbing. Avoid

Pros

Work interesting

Cons

Bad management, bad culture

Nightmare

You are sold a dream of changing the housing market and making housing more affordable. You soon realise that it's all driven by cost and delivering 'targets' and management only care about their own careers. The houses and flats that they are creating are full of problems because everything is poorly managed. Some very talented people have come and gone... Mostly because the place is such a mess and it's difficult to change anything, and they get overruled by directors who have no idea. But I guess they pay better than most!

Pros

Pay well, and also some very nice people

Cons

Mismanagement and lack of direction from directors

Terrible place to work

if you want to go work somewhere give 150 % then get stabbed in the back this is the place for you they have no idea what they are doing the place is run by idiots if you work hard you get a disaplinary if you are work shy you get treat like a king absolute terrible place to work the HR department just want to sack people an the union is a case of if your face fits the re

Pros

none they treat you like rubbish

Cons

Run by absolute idiots was once a good place to work

Terrible

If you want your mental health to stay intact don't work here. Seen in the space of 6 months people deteriorate mentally. Sad. They couldn't care less either.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal & General. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement