Leonard Cheshire

Leonard Cheshire Employee Reviews

United Kingdom334 reviews

Insights into Leonard Cheshire

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Great place to work, great people, bad management, very clicky management, one rule for one. One rule for another, not consistent in areas. Not professional,

Pros

Good pay

Cons

I’ve worked for the company for 4 years and started 5 years ago for my placement for college. I was then offered a job working as a support worker at Kirkland view. I have being a support worker and also interim team leader. I have enjoyed my time there. Each day is different some days are great and some days have challenges but so does every day life. The current manager is very supportive and great at what he does.

Pros

Supportive

Cons

Short staffed

Challenging but rewarding

Challenging but rewarding , shame it holehird had to be closed otherwise I’d still be there. Loved looking after all the residents and all the staff were a great support.

Miserable staff

The staff are miserable here and make out like the job is hard when it really isn’t. You work 7-3 or 3-10 very easy hours and the people you support are generally easy but the staff think they’re working the hardest job in the world. There’s nothing difficult about helping someone shower and dress and then feeding them. The place is very understaffed and constantly use agency’s to fill in for staff. The people from agency’s are never trained and often get caught stealing from service users. Agency staff are also incompetent of everything. The manager where I work is the laziest human I think I have ever met in my life, he leaves most tasks to the team leader who is clearly very stressed all the time, I done know why he hasn’t quit yet! The pay is terrible but that’s social care for you. If you’re thinking of becoming a support worker, don’t do it your mental health isn’t worth it!

Bullying Culture and Poor Management

I worked here for 5 months as a team leader, it was the most traumatic few months. I have never worked in a place that I was panicked every time the regional manager called. The team were great, and too the clients. Unfortunately, it was majorly let down by higher management.

Wonderful home, poor management

Worked at Leonard Cheshire for a number of years.The nursing and support staff were fantastic and worked so hard to support the residents and their families.Management however was poor. Communication to lower level staff was none existant, unachievable goals, no support and lack of understanding of the actual service.The foundations of the charity to support those who need it was amazing and the home was being ran off people's generosity of time and genuine care for those who lived at the home.I would not recommend LCD as an employer.

Pros

Good support staff and nursing staff

Cons

Poor management, no career progression, poor HR

Excellent workplace atmosphere and inclusivity.

I was a volunteer there, so the rating of salary is moot, but the benefits of the staff and service users, was by far the best place I've worked. There was free training available, which I undertook, when possible. I would still be there, and hopefully in a paid position, if all the staff hadn't taken voluntary redundancy, due to a lack of money within the charity, which meant the centre was only going to be open two days a week, instead of 4. Overall, I loved it there, before it all changed, so I thought I would explore other options.

Fast Paced, Nice service users and nice staff.

It was a great place to work and I was happy there until it was closed, separating the service users and the staff. The building has now been converted into a wedding venue.

Pros

Nice atmosphere.

Cons

Very Busy.

Stressful, Low Pay

Its a very busy environment and it's where people are often forgotten about especially those who are not on the front-line.Widespread redundancies are now looming due to a complete mismanagement that has taken place over several years and the now the employees will be paying the price, I find my job very rewarding as I know I help make a difference, massive slap in face for those who have fought and worked hard to make this organisation work since the pandemic begunThe Exec Team are not taking pay cuts, yet upto 200 non-frontline staff are about to lose their jobs

Pros

Flexibility and work lifebalance

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, redundancies

Lovely place to work positive culture team work amazing, everyone pulls together. Excellent support from management. Excellent job satisfaction and very rewarding

Pros

Friendly and supportive good pay

Cons

Very busy but rewarding

Ok

One of the most difficult and stressful places I have ever worked! Not the job itself but the upkeep with the bitchiness, and too many chiefs in the ivory towers!!

Awful and stressful and under valued care staff

Management unsupportive don't want to know .Care staff are tired and run down no thought for care staff well being . Always short staffed because pay doesn't reflect the hard work one of the lowest paid care homes in the area now . Care staff overloaded doing health and safety checks and equipment checks aswell as paperwork . Sinking ship and care staff are starting to jump off

Pros

Cons

Too much paper work

Stressful, miserable place

Hourly rate slightly more than other care homes, but don't be tempted to apply. Bad management, no appreciation, stressful place. Beware, if you like to be happy, apply to other care homes instead. So many staff left and are still leaving, new staff all the time.

Pros

Cons

Bad management No appreciation Hard work and very tiring

Needs to change

Very poor management. Gossip culture, stressful environment, staff treated badly. Every negative review about this place is true and worse. Ruins your mental health.

Pros

Parking

Cons

Lost Count

I enjoy the job but pay/benefits/security could improve

I have a great supportive manager and I am home based. I enjoy the job. That's pretty much the only benefits. I'm not putting my real job title for obvious reasons.Now for the negatives.The salary could be better. They should do away with the london weighting as it isn't fair on everyone else, especially now we are working from home. There's an easy saving for the charity! Also not everyone in the organisation is disability aware and/or willing to make reasonable adjustments. There is a disability employee network and the general consensus of its members are that the organisation does disability well externally but not internally. Its quite hurtful when people who should know better say and do disablist things. Also there are some in the organisation who do not respect or understand safe spaces for women which, considering we work with vulnerable people, is really concerning. Job security is currently a concern due to the organisation being 15million in the red apparently so some care home fees are going up and some projects not being continued. Learning and Development is offered but only if you are in England so if you are in wales or nothern ireland, you dont qualify for any government incentives so we miss out which isn't really fair. No pay rises for 3 years either and we are starting to feel it. Christmas bonus also ended.

Pros

home based, good manager, staff networks, nice people, disability leave

Cons

no pay increases, lack of learning and development, lack of disability awareness, annual leave and sick pay could be better, toil depends on who your manager is

Stressful

management need offer more support , need to be more hands on .Long hours and can be stressful .Needs to be more incentive and more appreciation .No enhancement, was all taken away in restructure , only increase pay for Christmas Day , Boxing Day and new year day - no extra pay for overtime or bank holidays

Pros

Rewarding job

Cons

Pay rate, long hours and have to pick up extra shift to cover cost of living

Would not recommend

Just don't do it. It's not worth the pay, pay slips are questionable when overtime doesn't add up. Most days off you'll be called in or have phonecalls from work. No work life balance. Be prepared to bin off your social life and kids because you're expected to work any hours/days given and when you can't you're spoken to like you're a problem. Favouritism is there. No consequences from residents being verbally or physically abusive, as long as they're still paying for a room. They'll except anyone even if they struggle to provide significant care. If you want to be treated like you're nothing then be my guest and apply, you'll either work short, on your own, or with masses of agency because they can't keep their own staff.

Pros

None.

Cons

Everything.

I enjoy the job but pay/benefits/security could improve

Pros

home based, good manager, staff networks, nice people, disability leave

Cons

Would’t recommend to my worst enemy.

Poor,very poor. No supervision,support,training. Very depressing going into work where there was no future plans for residents, support nationally for staff and very little idea on how to run residential services. Very institutional

Pros

Wish I could think of some tbh.

Cons

Left.

Steer Clear- terrible place to work

I came to Leonard Cheshire full of hope to make a difference and since day one, it has all been about fire fighting on a daily basis. There is no clear structure or goals to work towards. If you raise anything of concern it is ignored and brushed under the carpetBad financial mismanagement with no effective controls in place to protect staff or residents.Poor leadership. Lack of communication across the organisationPoor salaries which are also inconsistent depending on how popular you are rather than based on your ability to do the jobThere are staff who are in completely the wrong jobs

Unsupportive

Poor management who have no controle of some team leaders. High number of errors. No support and an us vs them culture. Service users are amazing, shame a small number of staff make the job less enjoyable.

Pros

Rewarding job with service users

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leonard Cheshire. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Leonard Cheshire with

• Leonard Cheshire
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?