Leonard Cheshire

Leonard Cheshire Pay & benefits reviews

Good place in the scheme of Care homes. Staff where expected to work hard but not to the death like some places. Usual over thinking pay grade and back stabbing on occasions but generally happy place. The wages where fair fair
Pros
Nice clients and on the whole nice colleagues. Descent wages for care
Cons
Odd bad apple. Over expertations of team leaders. Poor communication between management and staff.
Senior management lose good staff, senior management have favourites no support given when concerns are raised, group of support workers are bullies and run the home unfair rota lazy support staff skills not recognised team leaders run into the ground nurses are rude current deputy spends their time on their mobile phone 5 years of my life wasted on this company staff are more interested in smoke break than caring for residents manager not visible
Pros
Cons
Bullies
expected to work long hours and stay if a collegue is sick. No thankyou's or support from management, EVER. People lovely who you support, only plus.
Pros
Cons
Management not interested, low morale, overworked staff, all £££ !
The people are great. The salaries are great. The benefits are competitive. But it ends there. The executive board is a lad's club that has no experience in the charity sector, who lack of understanding of what their staff do and yet make decisions that put those employees job security at risk. They have never put forward a cohesive strategy and consistently set targets that are unattainable and put excessive pressure on senior management teams and those below them. In spite of claiming to have the wellbeing of their staff at the forefront of what they do, absences are high where due to staff being rundown, stand are expected to work beyond contracted hours for no reward, and the lack of communication from senior leaders suggest that there is little concern for employees, if any. The executive and trustee board live in an ivory tower of ignorance, where they reward themselves with job security, while putting most of the staff at risk. It is a disheartening and demotivating environment to work in, and I would not recommend it to anyone.
Pros
The friends you will make there
Cons
Long hours, managers who don't care, lack of communication from leadership, nepotism at board level
I have worked for Leonard Cheshire for many years, overall I would say it is a good company to work for, the big downfall is salary wages in London barely over the minimum wage and no extras for working nights or weekends. Staff are constantly told Saturdays and Sundays are part of the normal working week but they will try to make you work more weekends and have days off through the week. Management would think nothing if it suited them to change your shifts or your hours without any notice, day shifts have been cut In our service from 8 hours to 6.5 hours now leaving staff down on contracted hours and a few years ago staff had money shaved of the hourly rate which put some staff into financial difficulties. higher management seem only to be bothered about the budget and there is no money in the pot for leisure activities meaning the poor residents have no social life. Although being stuck in most days the residents are cared for and well looked after and quite often staff will use their own money or time to try and do activities with the residents Leonard Cheshire is run more like a money making organisation then a charity and the bosses at the top on huge salaries while poor support workers are barely earning a crust for all their hard work, it is definitely the wrong way round.
Official response from Leonard Cheshire
17 June 2020
Leonard Cheshire is committed to paying all our employees fairly and competitively. We regularly benchmark our pay against the market using reputable surveys and can confirm that the rates paid to our employees are indeed competitive.With regard to this specific concern, we can confirm that support worker rates in London are materially above National Living Wage and are significantly above the market rate for this role in this location. In addition, Leonard Cheshire offers competitive benefits, often above the levels offered by other organisations in our sector.We are particularly mindful of the role our frontline staff play in the organisation, and this group has been prioritised in terms of annual increases, which have generally been above the average increase rates in the market, and above inflation.
leonard Cheshire is a good company to work for. Very good work people shifts suited me at the time for looking after a elderly relative Hours are 25 hours a week
Pros
free uniforms
Cons
can be stressful
I love my job . I have the privilege of caring for the most wonderful individuals. I work long days by choice for a better work life balance . It's a physically demanding job .Nice company to work for .
Pros
Over time, tea and coffee, training.
Cons
Hourly rate but that is the caring profession these days .
The work is extremely physically and mentally demanding so be prepared to be shattered after every shift with no praise! Although a few staff are supportive, the rest are back stabbers. I guarantee you'll hear gossiping and you'll experience spontaneous arguments in inappropriate circumstances. Management is terrible. Regardless of your job role, there will always be someone who believes they have the authority to tell you what to do (even if they are in the same role as you). It's a competition to get the most work done, and the most quickly. The service users aren't prioritised as they should be, as unfortunately so many staff don't realise they have a duty of care. Manager hasn't stepped in and sorted this. Communication is poor; messages aren't passed on beyond one person. Emails aren't replied to, and calls rarely answered. Nurses aren't clued in to what the support workers know and there is a lack of good flow in handovers. The 10 minute paid break is not enough, especially because I never really got it. This would leave just the 30 minute unpaid lunch break. Pay is generally good, but for the amount of strenuous work including other duties unrelated to the support worker role and a great deal of personal care, I'd expect at least £11 per hour. Staff are shamed for absences. I've personally experienced harassment via text from one of my colleagues regarding this. Regardless of circumstance, even if perfectly legitimate, staff are expected to bend over backwards and abandon what commitments or illnesses they may have. Manual handling training lasted about - more...
From interview phase right through to my leaving lc, I couldn't fault this company. Competitive salary and sensitive management. A well run organisation.
Its an ok place to work. Not too much stress. the people are nice and welcoming and the benefits are good. work life balance is also good. they are an improving organisation
Management is poor, staff aren’t treated how they should be - although new manager seems nice. Staff aren’t praised for their hard work, poor communication and lack of organisation. Staff are scared to call in sick because of the lack of confidentiality - endless gossip all around the home. Residents are nice, as well as some staff. Pay is good but for the work done I’d expect more.
its okay rewarding sometimes could have beter pay , the travel pay could have been more and more c lasses to deal with the difficult client would have helped
They closed and moved away real shame. Loved my clients, had good working hours. Good communication with each others. Would like to do that type of work again.
Pros
lots of good courses
Cons
time management
the best place i ever worked there for a very long time all sertors was very god. mangement was the best u could as for and all frienly and lovely people to work with.
Pros
well manged
Cons
paid breaks
I enjoy the working with service users I look after but there is a lot of things that need to change Living in Douglas and having to travel to Ramsey everyday on the bus with no extra mileage entitlement is very difficult on top of bills
I met wonderful service users and staff members. Made social friends with some of the staff members. There is no time to read the policies, they just ask you to sign them. There are always some staff members who spend time gossiping with management and are unproductive. The worst senior managers who don’t follow organisation policies. Who cover for each other and unlike other organisations l have worked, The regional manager never visit service to have informal discussion with service users or staff members. It’s like a military camp whereby everyone must follow orders without querying what’s right or wrong, otherwise you are seen as a trouble maker. They are always understaffed due to staff members leaving for various reasons from victimisation or seeking better working conditions. Some carers work very hard & others who are backed by the management do as they wish. No structure.
Pros
Team work amongst carers, service users who appreciate support
Cons
Intimidating senior managers with no respect for carers, micro-managing, low salary, restricted from voicing your concerns, staff members leave regularly due to treatment from management
As a Registered Manager my staff teams are the best - huge respect to the quality of care they provide; their dediction to the workplace and their compassion & care of our clients. Sadly, the same praise cannot be showered on regional management upwards. They are totally money driven - yes social care is in crisis - but salaries in Senior Management seem very fine thank-you-very- much, certainly by the high spec. cars that occassionally role up at our local offices! Senior Managers have improved pay for Support Workers who are now paid just above the National Living Wage & as our services are small most of our night care is done through Sleep-permitted Night care shifts (used to be referred to as 'sleep-in') and these are paid at the NLW rate & are not contracted hours. Time-squeeze is a culture at LC, i.e. same amount of work (sometimes higher work load) but done by less & less people! Yep! You & I can see the result - more tiredness & stress in staff and more sick leave! But Senior Managers have put in place very aggressive sick leave policy which includes a raft of letters that threaten staff with dismissal from the second time they are off sick in 12 months, whether one is off for one day on each occasion, or months!!! So we have great grassroots care teams and wonderful long term clients, but the senior management is remote and like most of Britain's senior management, where ever, look after their jobs first, then throw the scraps to the people actually PRODUCING THE SERVICE of CARING for people!!!
Pros
Great care teams and clients.
Cons
Remote senior managers who communicate poorly, Still awful pay, like most of adult social care, Long shifts, but staff economically forced to work long hours and overtime to make ends meet.
constantly on your feet, rushing around. the care i must admit its 100% clean there a new manager and is approachable the most enjoyable part of the job is having break and the residents the place really needs a good make over
Pros
free tea or coffee
Cons
pay for your food
Staff are treated like they are expendable and they are not given the support needed. Hours aren’t very sociable and they are too long with shifts lasting 9.5 hours without a break adding up to 10. Some staff are fantastic but there is clear favouritism within the units. They are not supportive of staff and expect staff to be able to drop everything for work.
Cons
Long hours, some staff
The role was very satisfying because it could sometimes be like waving a magic wand for people who were in great need of support and help. However, the staffing structure and management were such that the stress of the workload eventually told and the job became untenable. t was also very poorly rewarded with a rubbish pension package and benefits.
Pros
Client facing work
Cons
Everything else
Worked with an excellent and very supportive team. Really enjoyed working with all the clients and learnt a lot during my time there. Salary was very poor, and there was no room for progression
Cons
Salary and no room for progression