Leonardo
Happiness score is 45 out of 100

Leonardo Employee Reviews

United Kingdom80 reviews

excellentcareerflexibletrainingbusinesslifeyearexperience

Good people, good working conditions problematic workload, too many peaks, and troughs, always reliant on winning a last minute order.

I enjoyed working at Leonardo, at least the unit I worked for the wider company less so, as the Italian parent just loved to interfere. If you want excitement I'm not sure this is the place for you, on the other hand, if you want steady then you should consider it.

Pros

Great work-life balance

Cons

Limited opportunities to progress, training for professional staff almost non existent

excellent place to work

great work culture , plenty of opportunity if you wish to develop , but also supportive for those that want o come in do a good job. the work load varies and is challenging.

Insights into Leonardo

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues

Get ready to go through the motions.

First and foremost, the company makes some really interesting technology across both radar and advanced targeting divisions and there's definitely some great places you can go within the company. However overall I'd have to say the people and culture within the company have been downright disappointing. There is a lack of professionalism in conduct across the board and there is a massive blame culture which the company has attempted to shake off but is still very much present. This usually comes from management who have a lack of engineering understanding but I have seen it within engineering teams as well. The company attempts to make itself look like it is a forward thinking progressive company in the public eye, which is a stark contrast to the way it is on the inside as they have been pretty much working in the same ways since the 90s. I started here on the grad scheme which I really wouldn't recommend to anyone. The modules are a complete waste of time and a distraction from your day job. I'd recommend trying to join on as an engineering technician, as the progression is pretty much the same but without all the grad scheme garbage. Many of the graduates on the scheme and just off the scheme are now complaining about unfairly conducted salary reviews. Day-to-day it can be quite difficult to get any work done as the company processes are so padded out. Attempting to change this is near impossible as so many are just stuck in their ways and unwilling to implement change. Responsibility and accountability is held with a sole few in engineering departments, which means any -

Pros

Good canteen, good work life balance, interesting technology

Cons

Bad culture, poor management, poor planning, lack of morale

Productive sociable work place

Great place to work if your a permie.You have to work 6-2pm and 2-10pm week about shifts which gives you a long weekend every other one.All the staff are helpful and welcoming.

Pros

Shifts

Cons

Yeovil not that big of a town.

Poor project management, all ex RAF, clueless in how to manage.

Having come from an employment world of redundancies I worked hard in higher education to qualify myself for a career in this blue chip multi corporation. Alas once in I haven't got anywhere despite hard work and successful efforts to improvements; zero appreciation, zero recognition, zero support to improve one’s self worth, in fact the total opposite feeling deliberately held back. Same level colleagues are fantastic, some very clever hardworking and kind people within the business; we pull together very well, having to due to terribly poor middle management up to executive level who have no experience, knowledge and worse still, drive and ability to learn; often career hopping from one position to another with no loyalty to the job they took on. A real shame to know what really goes on behind closed doors.Ideal to coast and ride the gravy train to retirement whether you want to or not.Personal opinion to ultimate management failure - Project Managers, the latest fashion of the decade that could quite possibly eventually run the multinational aerospace into the ground.

Pros

Annual pay increase.

Cons

Poor Management, Poor Executives, Too many Project Managers, Career Blockers, No Management Loyalty, Regular Management Career Hopping, Regular Re-Structures of Organisation always for the worse.

Interesting work

A large deference company which is has very heavy business processes, as you should expect.The engineering work is both rewarding and interesting, creating some market leading products, within cross-functional teams, which work well together.However the ICT systems are not setup to support engineering, the service under resourced and slow but ultimately does get to a solution.Recently engineering managment are focusing in on ICT, to support engineers, with the drive it should greatly improve.

Pros

Lots of training provided, flexible working hours, great team work.

Cons

Very process heavy businesses, lack of ICT support.

Reasonable place to work

Was employed as a contractor, the money was good and mostly a good environment to work, the senior management tend to lock themselves away and don't seem to do much but the junior and middle management were excellent, very helpful and good to work with.

Pros

Good working environment and working colleagues.

Cons

Some difficult people to work with but you get that in most work environments.

Challenging but rewarding

Great on the job training and support form management. Shift work provides good work/home life balance. Every day provides different challenges making the role both rewarding but challenging.

Awful management no career progression

No career progression, Poor communication and little feedback Not transparent in discussions A company set in the past with no ability to make decisions

Edinburgh site should be avoided

I work in the Edinburgh site and I have to say some of the practices I see are a disgrace. A colleague of mine has known mental health issues but other see fit to make fun of him with insults and other disgusting treatment. When I complained to our manager it was simply he’s big enough to complain himself - yet he never will because it’s the way he is. What makes it worse is some of the people picking on him are just in the door and have shown him zero respect since day one. There are instances of people being victimised because they have fallen out with family members of management, most of whom are utterly useless at their jobs but nothing said because of who they are related to. In short place is a joke, and I can’t wait to leave this year. If I could afford to leave now I would.

Let Down

Fantastic company overall, with a secured longevity in its field. Unfortunately due to lack of "new blood" many of the people there have been employed for quite a few decades. Whilst this isn't necessarily a negative, it does mean that a proportion are SQEP in bullying & harassment. These are the people that hold the power in this organisation, if you don't conform to the bullies then you are managed out of the business.

Leonardo Helicopters

Great place to work with many different jobs available due to the large site. International company specialising in high end Engineering to produce military and civil helicopters.

Excellent experience on rotorcraft

Thoroughly enjoyed my employment experience with Agustawestland . If l had the opportunity to return as a FSR l would jump at the chance. My life at the time of leaving them was at an all time low with my mother having limited life illness so l chose to care for her over my career. She passed away soon after but lm glad l made that choice. It was the right thing to do for me and my family .

No support from poor management

If I could give zero stars I would. Dated equipment, management look down at you and treat you like children. Training non existent and no support from management. Overworked, was expected to do 2 jobs at once. Avoid!

Only worked there for 10 weeks - well trained by the girls on the deptartment who were all lovely - also good with days off/ change of hrs. cant say any more

Good company and skilled staff

Excellent work environment. Can be very well paid if agency staff. Good canteen. Lots of parking. Professional staff and focus on getting the job done

Out of date

I was an administrator for several years constantly trying to be permanent a company that prefers to have temps than permanent I could not even get a second screen or even a comfortable chair !! Manager had no clue! Leonardo would rather keep on elderly retirement people with bladder problems that did hardly any work because they were never at their seat than a good worker ! So glad I moved on to a decent company now

Pros

Free and relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Management do not know what they are doing

Out of date

I was an administrator temp for nearly seven years constantly trying to get a permanent position it was impossible !! they do not recognise good workers would rather keep elderly employees which bladder problems and take the mickey walking around than a good worker it’s an outdated company that could not even provide a second screen or even a half decent chair !

Busy days. Ongoing mandatory training. Managers vary from department to department. Sometimes expected to work with exceptionally small print which inhibited my efficiency. Enjoy the environment and friendly, helpful colleagues.

Excellent place to work

Good people and work ethics. Hi tech company with a can do attitude for going forward. The people I worked with have a can do attitude and nothing is a hurdle.

New starters ostracised. Work force poorly trained to deal and train new people

No structured training . Left on your own for days with nothing to do because no one will allow you to help . Not a clean room and not a production environment just r and d. Monthly reviews just highlighting their own failings . Not willing to entertain easier working practices. The canteen is fabulous, clean different menus 🥰

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leonardo. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Leonardo with

Learn about Leonardo in popular locations

• Leonardo
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?