Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust logo
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Very busy hospital with low team work

It's a good place to start your career in hospital. Some people are ready to teach and guide you especially younger staff. The trust doesn't help you to develop. They want already made staff in almost every area.

Fast paced working environment, always busy but rewarding.

High work volume as such a busy hospital but extremely rewarding as you feel you can make a difference if your work ethic is good.Great people to work with, some lovely patients who are always grateful if you give that extra mile. You need to be open minded and able to deal with varying situations calmly. Good opportunities for advancement if you work hard and are on board.

I've worked here for four years as a HCA. Started as bank and joined Larch ward as a permanent staff after one year. Loved to work at University Hospital Lewisham, meet great people, always made me feel like part of the big family. Great team to work with, always together, no matter what, standing up for each other and helping out. Great management, flexibility of shifts. The only inconvenience it was too far away from where I live (Harlow, Essex).Got great memories there and gained a lot of experience throughout the years. I would recommend this place, if you are a great team member, hard working and with a good sense of understanding what various culture means.

Pros

Team working

Cons

Parking

productive

• I experienced in the capacity of Specialty Registrar- International Training Fellow in General and Acute Medicine at a reputed British Hospital – Lewisham Hospital, UK. Successful in completing Member of Royal College of Physicians (MRCP [UK] Worked in the departments – Geriatric Medicine, Gastroenterology, Respiratory Medicine as well as Acute and Emergency Medicine.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

long hours sometimes

Lgt

Working at LGT was stressful -no real leadership coupled with bullying and harassment. My jo was not aligned to the jd most of the time. No flexi working, micro management

Self motivation is key, regardless of where you work. Had mix experiences working under different managers at different levels. Overall experience good. Make sure you take your personal and professional development seriously

Pre-registration pharmacy

I did my training here. Thankfully all my colleagues in the pharmacy department are super supportive and willing to help whenever. Just like any NHS trust many staff are overworked, but in the department there is a lot of teamwork and helping out others going on.

Pleasant place to work

Very supportive management excellent professional development. Good team working and supportive colleagues. A good area to work with manageable stress.

Productive and fun

Typical day at work involves supervising the work of Library staff, managing the duty rota, attending meetings, managing the library system, developing guides, providing training, carrying out literature searches and dealing with enquiries.

Stressful and hard work

It was hard work and no rewards. You are required to do so much with minimal resources. Almost every day was a headache. You need to be assertive and have a lot of patience to work there.

Jobs at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

See more jobs

very busy yet not well compensated

very hectic environment and less compensated and there is a cultural difference. Regular employee works very hard but bank staff just works like a turtle, very slow and lazy. Thats why all of the pressure will go the the regular staff.

Zero star

I wouldn’t want even my pet cat work or be a patient in that hospital. Management was really bad, always short staffed or only one permanent staff on duty and the rest were agency and refuse to do anything clinical like taking bloods, IV meds or even simple things like patient care.

High levels of safeguarding & paperwork, with not enough time!

Small Teams which look after the staff well. However senior management is distant. Too much involved with the job including a high level of safeguarding. Impossible to complete the endless, and often unnecessary paperwork in the time available, so regularly the work is taken home with the nurses to keep on top of things. This time is often not appreciated by team leaders, so not offered back!

laid back and simple work

Good place to work to earn a bit of extra cash, possibilities for progression if you are willing to work hard and get the right people to notice you. Feels like your part of something.

Very busy place

I was a Chaplaincy Volunteer at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust. It was a very good experience to visit different wards and talk with patients, staff and visitors.

Pros

Good team

Cons

N/a

A good place of work

It was a nice place to work on a temporary basis. I was doing general admin work which was perfect for what I needed at the time. The management was also good and helpful and any issues I had were addressed.

Viel gelernt

Ich habe jeden Tag bei der Visite auf Station mitgearbeitet und weiterhin die Plaene darin verwirklicht. Ausserdem durfte ich Patienten in der Notaufnahme behandeln, und bei einer Wöchendlichen Sprechstunde ambulante Patienten behandeln.

Excellent company to work

Excellent company to work that hows allowed me to thrive in my career. There are genuine staff members who care about the care of patients. More investment is required to further improve services.

Innovative and resourceful

I have been working here for nearly 15 years and have learnt, enjoyed and continue to enjoy working here. The staff are friendly and helpful but the signage of areas could be improved.

Great place to learn and terrific Management

The Lewisham ED is a great place to work and learn. During our induction to the Trust, we were told that the local population is among the poorest in London which affects the conditions that patients present with. Though there were challenging times, during the course of my stay I learned a great deal about evidence-based practice and the importance of teamwork. My managers in the Lewisham emergency department are amazing. You can count on your seniors to lend a hand and offer instruction when needed. Carol and Sarah are my Matrons and they are always there to listen to their staff. The workplace culture in our department is competitive and lacks a bit of cohesion. The current nursing roster is composed of people from all over the world, Filipinos, Portuguese, Spanish, Ugandan, Caribbean to name a few. It leads to friction sometimes but overall I find my colleagues to be very helpful and compassionate. Of the few disappointments I have with nursing in the United Kingdom in general is the salary. Though this is offset by the amount of education provided by the hospital, this too has recently been affected with funding slashed y 50%. I feel that nurses are currently undervalued and not much is being done to help nursing as a profession. The best days are the ones when you overcome a challenging day or week and come out more knowledgeable and more patient than before. I find that reflecting on those days when you are under-resourced and facing difficult patient presentations are the ones where you learn the most and grow as person and as a professional.

Pros

Management and Colleagues

Cons

Workplace culture and Salary

Pay is good for what it is but don't expect too much in terms of the work.

Typical day at work could start at 8.00, or 9.00 or 10.00 or 12.30 and shifts usually lasted 7.5 hours. Management ranges from absent to incompetent and they generally have little idea of what is going on. There is too much micromanaging of shifts and staff. Workplace culture has always been cliquey but was much better when i started. It has steadily declined under new management and the constant micromanagement has caused great friction. The hardest part of the job is trying to meet hourly workload targets whilst using such outdated equipment and software. The most enjoyable part of the job is that as a bank worker my hours were very flexible. There is also usually always opportunity for overtime, especially during the school holidays.

Pros

Blue Light Card, decent salary.

Cons

Poor management, subpar facilities and outdated equipment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement