Lidl

Lidl Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,791 reviews

Found 1,791 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,223 reviews

Customer Assistance

Good money, work on a daily basis is pretty easy. Working stock in the morning can be hard but once you know where everything is you get the job done quickly. Evenings can be stressful at time if the morning team hasn’t help or if non-food is a mess. Overall good money, rotas are out on time and sometime flexible if you give enough notice. I did 30 hours a week before and had no live so now I’m on 20 which is perfect for me.

Only good for the pay

The pay was really good yet not worth the cliquey management and staff groups. Adults acting as if they’re still in school and treating others like they’re worthless over the smallest things. If you don’t mind not having a work/life balance but getting decent pay then it’s not too bad

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Poor management, cliquey, no work/life balance

Insights into Lidl

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Support from manager

If you want no life this is the place for you

If you are single and don’t value your out of work time then join up. Working times used to be ok for retail, now with 5am starts and half 10 finishes you can’t do anything after work as your knackered and can’t do anything before as your normally due in at midday. Hours for staff keep getting less and less, making it very difficult and stressful for the staff, yet the area managers only do 40 hours and now only have three stores, before they would do full store walls with store management and offer support, they now come in walk round for 5 minutes and spend the rest of the time in the office.

It's a job I guess

Incredibly fast paced at times, not to sure if it's the same in other stores but lots of double standards and "favourites". Some of my managers are great but there is the slack handful that aren't at all. There is usually too much to do with small numbers of staff on. Yes the team that you work with may be good but there sometimes is too much for a few to do.Rotas are dreadful as of current, I have stated on a couple occasions that I am unable to work on a few days very much in advance. However being told it depends on if there is anyone on holiday. But, there have been times there were 1 or 2 others saying they can't do a shift a week in advance or a couple days and it's fine for them. 🤷‍♂️

Hard work can be unappreciated

Lidl is not the worst place to work for but depends how well you fit in. Those who are boisterous or have close relatives or best friends with managers always seem to level much easier over those who actually work hard. A lot of good staff members have left as a result of being under appreciated. They expect a lot from with very little in return.Holidays are hard to book. The rota is never updated regularly like it's supposed to so you can never plan anything in advance or book an appointment. The working week is ok, but not ideal for everyone. Some weeks you are required to work 6 days in a row and get 1 day recovery and not two days in a row. The warehouse recently is very dirty, dusty. Everything is falling apart. Pallets not stacked properly are all over the place. Many of the pallet trucks are broken and disgusting.Most people there you can't even have a conversation with or ask a question without them having a go at you. The whole warehouse is poorly laid out in my opinion, also very disorganized. You are expected to have a good pick rate, but most of the time the equipment you are provided with doesn't work properly. The wmas system (talkmans) is slow or constantly disconnecting. Every asile is an assult course. The whole place is not well merchandised. The cases you are expected to pick are not strong and usually fall apart. So good luck picking jars!. They can't even provide the gloves that fit properly. Breaktimes are also not long enough.

Pros

Free on site parking

Cons

Long time on your feet, short breaks, people making your job harder than it is.

If you like to work go ahead 6 managers all aproachable and friendly Work always available Try different departments Canteen super clean and practically new All staff ok

Would not work for

Lidl is a really bad manged place to work and really unfriendly management I would never recommend working for them.no matter how hard you work or how many hours you put in it will never be good enough.

They pretend to care about their employees

Toxic environment, rude customers, they give you your rota three weeks in advance and regularly, it won’t be respected. Long shifts, even over 12 hours or more with unpaid half an hour break. I won’t never recommend it.

Had issues before i even started

Before I even started I had multiple issues with them contacting me or even being prepared, my training has been left till a few days before the due date and was given bare minimal training, They were never prepared for me on my first week and was on my own guessing most the time and are more bother about trying to catch you out then giving you the tools to succeed. had issues with not being paid and no one helped me to sort it, never enough staff in and always getting moaned at as it's impossible to keep up.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

over worked

Fast paced and very busy

Its a very physically active job and you'll find yourself getting stretched thin.Due to this busy atmosphere training isn't as thorough as the company advertised and this makes learning very difficult especially if managers have high expectations despite lack of practice.Although the pay is good it reflects how hard you have to work however.

Pros

Good pay

Good job for short term

This job is good for short term employment.The pay is good, Holiday is 30 days a year, 10 days full sick pay plus other benifits like discount ect.The managers only care about leaving early. If you follow company procedure and call up sick you are sworn at. There is little to no chance of progression. When your pay is wrong you are past around managers and HR both who tell you to speak to the other party. Getting allbthe picks done is priority and health and saftey takes 2nd place.Overall the job is good money for warehouse work plus good benifits but its not a long term job as can't progress and is very physical (some boxes weight 15kg which is okay but you have to pick 20 of them and thats only 1 item of the 100's you have to pick) Job is good for students or young people leaving collage as pay is good.

Fast Paced

Good company to work for, pay is good for retail work but it can be challenging hence why they pay more than usual retail, you are timed to complete tasks and never get out on time especially if on a late shift and already rota’d in until 22:30.

Decent wage, extreme multitasking

Decent wage for shop work. A lot of time is spent on checkouts if your not a favourite. I mean literally 8 plus hours sat at a checkout day in day out, if you ask to swap with someone and do shop floor duties for a change of pace it’s always awkward and made to feel immature about it. Felt like a constant power struggle between staff as in if your chosen to stack shelves and do delivery you somehow are more important than sitting at the checkouts and have more responsibility and say so over things. Management can expect ALOT from you even disturb your break “can you just jump back on the till” mid sandwich as the queue is up the back of the shop… and that’s if you are given a break. Moral of the story there’s never enough staff on a shift in the store! Meaning everyone’s always running behind on jobs and wishing they had another set of arms to complete jobs faster or your going to be leaving two hours after your actual shift time ends. Having said all this if you are local to a lidls store that is hiring and you are interested as the pay is decent especially for youngsters, do apply as it’s ok for something close and for money, however do not be a pushover and know what your signing in your contract and know you don’t have to stay until gone 11 pm at night when your shift time was meant to be 9pm and say no to break interruptions etc. 😊

Good pay but poor work-life balance

The pay is generally quite good and there always opportunities for overtime. However, expect to be called in to work on your days off, even if you have booked annual leave in advance. It’s not uncommon to be called on your day off and asked to come in as soon as you possibly can to work a shift. Saying no isn’t really an option as you are very pressurised and the culture is that those who work the most overtime get the ‘best’ shifts while those who do not agree to work on their days off are given the ‘worst’ shifts i.e working all day Saturday and Sunday every week.Hours are random and will be different each week - no set days or shift patterns.Management is poor, lots of instances of bullying from managers particularly towards young female members of staff, while older staff were bullied for being ‘too slow’ etc. Staff are extremely overworked.

Perfect first week or a long 6 months

They judge you on how good you are in the mornings on your first week. If you don’t impress them, you will be stuck on closes till they feel bothered to recognise you have improved. Closes can start as early as midday and you don’t finish until after everything is done, which even means finishing at midnight sometimes. These will mostly be the only shifts you do unless they badly need someone earlier.Since you are most likely going to start on tills, expect to spend entire shifts scanning items and having the same interactions with hundreds of people every shift. .Training is really them asking you to do something, showing you once and expecting you to be a master at it. So you try to figure out this new job while under the wait of your till being opened every five seconds, that’s if you even get off being on the first till. Generally the less skilled you are, the more time you’re likely going to spend on tills.Most of the employees aren’t bothered about making friends, the managers even worse. Don’t expect to come into a overly friendly environment, where everyone loves each other and are willing to make new friendsI didn’t have a proper uniform for nearly 3 months because they told me it was coming, and it was never even ordered

Pros

Decent pay, most jobs are relatively handy

Cons

Long hours, lack of physical training, every shift is the same

You're better off finding somewhere else to work - not the best place.

There is very little i can say that is positive about working here i'm afraid. I was an ambient warehouse colleague and the environment was pretty awful. If you have matters on your mind it may be best not to come to work or else this place could really send you over the edge, either through the complete silence, an incredibly annoying (quite possibly faulty as they never replace them) headset which infuriates you further knowing they have touch screens which they only allow certain colleagues to use or someone coming up to you every hour telling you your pick-rate (although in fairness this colleague has now left). The equipment given to perform your duties was shambolic and needs replacing ASAP, it was like you were given the rejects which other company's no longer use. I have several years experience working in warehouses and this was by far the worse. It was just so amateurish, it really had to be seen to be believed. I think there main problem is that the personnel who recruit people don't have the first idea about who is acceptable for the job role, they just seem intent on recruiting people who are young with no previous experience. I am 30 years old and i could count the number of colleagues on one hand in my department who were older than me. In the period of time i was there they recruited every month simply because they could not retain staff. But god forbid you ever mention they have problems, they'd have you believe you were working in Lapland. People were very inexperienced and training was pathetic. First time use of picking trucks consisted picking up a pallet, -

Terrible workplace

Worst job I’ve ever had. Management don’t care about staff. Extremely unfriendly and genuinely not somewhere you want to go to when you wake up in the morning. Wouldn’t recommend.

Pros

Discount

Cons

0 support

Tiring but good pay

Very tiring job, they pay makes it worth it. Carrying boxes can be bad for body but they have machines who’ve help a lot. They pay is above average which is what keeps the employees

Depresssing

Managment are horrible. They change your shift hours before without saying but get mad if you dont know. Not proper training. Does three peoples jobs at one time. 10+ hour shifts only 30 mins break

Pros

Discount

Cons

Everything else

great team and great deputies

in my time there i loved it, and would go back tomorrow (but that wont happen), kept depression in and carried on as usual, but with loads of things going on at the time, i just did a stupid thing and was let go, if only my mental health was understood more would of been helpful, but thats life, miss the place with a passion. but sadly cant turn back the clock.

Pros

Cons

there are not any

Horrible

No support or training provided managers are horribleNo support or training provided managers are not great Was told to stay back even though my shift had finished Managers have favourites I wouldn't reccoment working here to anyone

Cons

Short staffed

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement