Lidl

Lidl Employee Reviews

Found 1,443 reviews matching the search
colleagues were great, managers were not. expected to work a 10 hour shift with only 1 half an hour break.always being asked to cover shifts and made to feel bad if you can't.absolutely no work/life balance even if you ask for it.very unrealistic pallet times to stick to whilst also covering tills or helping customers.never, ever enough staff on a shift.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
no life/work balance
Not good money. Great wage but they dont supply the hours your contracted for, which means they pay you all your first months wages then are in debt to them for hundereds of pounds. They refuse to work around home life or a second job and never finish on time due to having to wait for other staff members and managers before the front door is unlocked. You dont get a free meal when working, have zero to a half hour break regardless of hours worked and only a 10% staff discount but only on certain items.
Pros
Some staff members can be nice
Cons
A very dangerous and unhealthy job. Team leader was driving the reach truck and cutting the fingers of the picker's. Little space, everything is tight. Reach truck drivers drive fast and dangerous. Promotion to another position only for family, good friends. If you are lazy and live well with a manager, you will be promoted. And if you work well, the manager will not appreciate you. No professional trainers. New employees are trained by other employees who also recently started working there, without experience. There is a department that is run by a family that only accepts family members and friends and you can forget about a promotion. They pay an extra £ 2 for a night from 00:00 to 05:00, but when you go on holiday you don't get £ 2 extra, just the normal daily ratę.
Pros
Cons
No health and safety. Promotion only by acquaintance and by family.
Coming from a more formal background joining Lidl was a shock and I didn't think I'd be there long. Sometimes you are so busy you find yourself resenting the customers for coming shopping. Not for the lazy. The shift team is small and there is nowhere to hide. Been there 10 years and had a pay rise each year. The rota makes it difficult to plan things but shift swapping is allowed and common. If you are easily overwhelmed or have anxiety problems I wouldn't bother. Store managers are generally good people and hard work and respect is met with respect and understanding for a staff members quirks. Deputy managers are either store managers in waiting or happy where they are. The former expect more from staff but maintain the shop better than the latter who may be easier to work for but the shop becomes a disaster zone quickly. If you are ambitious, hard working and have your own transport then there are opportunities at Lidl. Managers and deputies seldom live near their shop and can be moved at a moments notice. If you're not ambitious but are hard working then you can find your niche at your local store and stay there a long time with comparatively good pay and holiday starts at 30 days a year. You'll need it though, some shifts can be brutal and you soon understand why food is cheap at Lidl. First reason is you will always be grossly understaffed and that's assuming nobody calls in sick.
Pros
Good pay and holiday
Cons
Some shifts you'll promise you'll look for another job when you get home, but when you get home you're too tired to do anything.
The job itself is so stressful. Your contract could be 11 hours but you end up working 50. Shifts are long and you’re expected to do every job, rather than other supermarkets who have departments. Your life has to revolve around Lidl and managers expect you to come in even if you haven’t had a day off in the week. Massively short staffed but told we have too many, they send staff home and don’t give you contracted hours some weeks. I went 2 months under my contracted hours whilst others were getting 50. I was told that I could no longer have the days off in the week I wanted. They instead told me to drop out of university or quit my job.
Pros
Pay, some managers are so nice.
Cons
Long hours, Half an hour break for 10 hour shifts
There is a lot of heavy lifting and a lot of physical tasks that need to be done and staring at 5am some day can be tedious but other than that it’s rather quiet an easy job where you go in do what your told to do and leave
Pros
Good pay, lots of hours, easy
Cons
Early start, overtime pays 1 month over
Worked at Lidl Milton Keynes for 3 years, I did enjoy working for Lidl. You do have to work hard but I like to be challenged and kept busy, my shifts flew by. Management were always fair to me, I always got my hours, but think that’s because I worked hard. Only left because I moved away. I would go back and work for Lidl but you do have to be prepared to work and do everything, from working stock, working in the bakery and till.
Pros
Challenging, time flies
Cons
Hard work
At work we get responsibilities but same time get ownership which make us feels good and happy when achieving the task and management recognised our hard work.
Pros
Staff discount, employee discussions & feedback
Cons
Stuck on tills for sometimes 8+ hours at a time with a 20 minute break if even, management completely unprofessional, made my mental health shatter, don’t do it
Pros
Pay was ok
Cons
Everything, don’t put yourself through the hassle, the money wasn’t even worth it
Way too much is expected of staff by mostly incompetent and unfriendly managers and supervisors. Days are very long and exhausting. You’re expected to stay longer than your shift is planned for frequently which often means working 10-12 hour shifts. One 20 minute break is granted in a shift of any length which is no way near sufficient in long days and only makes them more exhausting. If you live any distance away the commute becomes tiring to sometimes dangerous especially if you finish a long shift past midnight.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, too much work in too little time, basically no breaks, incompetent people get promoted, understaffed
I am a cleaner/caretaker and help to keep store clean and tidy. The team I work with are lovely and we all work very hard. Hours can be long, early mornings and late nights for shop staff. Good training in place and I enjoy the job I do and have great satisfaction in keeping staff and customers safe.
Pros
Good rate of pay and good team to work with
Cons
Long hours, early or late shifts.
Yes the pay is good for retail, however you will be worked to the bone.I worked at Lidl for 6 years and I can't remember how many managers we had, it was more than 10 which says something about the company in itself. On an evening shift you will be expected to work on the till with one other shop floor member of staff, decard the whole store, clean down the bakery, clean the till area, brush and mop the shop floors all whilst serving customer needs with a smile on your face... Its not for the slackers
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management and work load
If you take a job at lidi Doncaster warehouse i can guarantee it will be the worst mistake you will make,What they tell you on your first day of training is nothing to what is expected of you once you get on into the warehouse,You are expected to hit the target straight away 140 cases a hour, which does not sound a lot put you are lifting heavy stuff,and you can forget about healthy and safety,The turn over of staff is really high and there scratching the heads wondering why people don't stay,Maybe they need to take a long hard look at the way the shifts are run
Cons
Great to do the job if you are left alone as a store manager and you succeed greatly. Support from area managers and regional managers is none existent and be prepared to be undermined and back stabbed a lot. A toxic work environment they put you in. But from a store environment it was lovely, challenging and rewarding. A shame about the management outside of the store. I happily took a pay cut to be in a better environment.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Toxic management beyond store level.
When I first started at Lidl, I was full of beam. Great company, salary, benefits etc. However, a few months on, pick rate has been introduced, despite no manager being in charge of the freezer rate. Absolutely impossible to hit your pick rate of 200 if you recieve small orders, whilst favouritism takes place. If you are a golden employee you will get big orders to hit your pick rate. No training whatsoever or support. They'll tell you at your interview one in three weekends, yet when you start you are rostered to work every weekend. They'll expect you to work all Bank Holidays with no overtime rate or time off in leiu. Christmas Day and New Year's Day you have to book as holiday which I understand they are not legally entitled to do. You will need to work Boxing Day! Shambles!!!!!
Pros
Good pay, bonuses, benefits and a subsidised canteen.
Cons
No work life balance, no support or training, impossible pick rate.
If you are fit enough, the job is quite easy. There are a variety of roles to take on board, targets are reasonable but at times quite hard. It's easier to achieve high targets with bigger picks than having small picks. Place can be very disorganized at times, had to wait two months for new gloves.They don't offer much training in terms with new roles or operating new trucks, so you end up being stuck in the same role for some time. Working here can be quite boring and unstimulating. The job is not mentally difficult, but can be frustrating at times.People steal your things here, backshift have a habit of taking your truck (even if you leave a note and with a stacked pallet). I've also had a number of stationery items and a few headsets stolen of my truck which meant I could not do my job properly.
Pros
Free on site parking
Cons
Long time on your feet, short breaks, people making your job harder than it is.
if you like be busy all the time, and go from warehouse to the shop floor or back to tills, this is the perfect place for that. be ready to run miles a day but time goes fast too. management very poor skills
Good salary. Awful culture. Experience and knowledge is not appreciated. They just want young and willing people to work themselves into the ground. If you have your own mind, you will not fit in.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Hours, culture, management.
I worked at the Exeter Lidl warehouse for over a year and it is definitely the worst experience in any job I have had, the training given isn’t enough to do the job safely or to a good enough standard (it was only about 2 days training) and after that you are expected to pick items at a impossible rate, the management is terrible offering no help or advice they are constantly on about pick rates and walking around looking busy doing nothing, sometimes following you to ask you to hurry up. They will sometimes question where you have been if you go toilet, it’s like being in school again. I don’t think I ever got 1 months pay of the right amount in the whole time I was there, and when I questioned this I was told they can’t do anything and to call a helpline number. They never organise holiday properly and take ages approving any holiday. Sometimes I would get asked where I’d been as if I’d been sick and not phoned in when been on booked annual leave. The staff turnover if huge because of all the negative points nobody stays for very long. I don’t think while I was there their was a single member of picking staff on the AM shift that was happy and not wanting to leave. Before I left I would sometimes not sleep properly on the nights before I had to get up for work just because I was dreading going to work so much, it was such a depressing place to work. Avoid this place at all costs.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management
I'm lucky at my store as we have a great team and get on well. Bakery is way down the list of priorities which isn't good and there is no food safety training in place, bake off products or not, this department needs to be given the time to be cleaned thoroughly. Area Managers have different rules rather than have everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.Clear rules should be set from the very top and if they are, they're clearly not followed. Never given enough staff or time to do what is required to make it the best it could be.
Pros
Pay isn't the worst
Cons
No security, no food safety training, not enough staff, different AM's have different rules.
If you like faced paced hard work then Lidl is the place. You earn every penny so don’t be thinking you’ll get an easy ride on tills. Early mornings late nights. Great crack with the staff tho you make friends for life.
Pros
Money/friends for life.
Cons
Phone rings on days off.
  1. Employee reviews