Lidl

Lidl Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Found 298 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,260 reviews

Well paid

The work can be very stressful at times. There are good days and there are bad days. Colleagues are very helpful. Training was done properly for around 3 weeks.

customer service assistant

Enjoyed working here. Had its up and downs like every other place but nothing to be concerned about. I would recommend to a friend I was there for about 2.5 years

Amazing Pay/Benefits, Horrendous Working Environment

If you are willing to work with a companies whose management call you a disgrace to the team for being Ill then you'll enjoy the benefits and salary you get. You are worked like a dog because they are opening more stores then they can get staff so they expect you to work nearing 10-16 days in a row from as early as 0430 to as late as 2330.Progression is becoming more and more near impossible with lidl, I have the full skills and knowledge and was denied multiple times.

Pros

Pay, Benefits

Cons

Long hours, disrespectful management, no work life balance

Overworked

The pay is good but you are expected to sacrifice your life to Lidl. You never get out on time, always asked to come in early or work on days off and if you can’t, they’ll make you feel bad for it. You never do just your contracted hours, often doing at least 10 more than your contract. Not worth it at all. Once they find youre good at something, thats all you’ll do. Eg. Always doing Bakery or tills. Work life balance is awful and you’ll never get to see family. Expected to work long hours on a 20 min break.

Pros

Money

Cons

Overworked long hours

Great team

Good business to work for, great team behind you! Store manager is brilliant! Unsocialable hours though! Pay is good! You have to be willing to work hard

Pros

Decent team. Pay!

Stressful and Mentally Draining

Stressful environment, no progression regardless how hard you try, very poor management and no recognition of tasks you've completed that are above your pay grade. I've done managers jobs before as a customer assistant and received no praise. Very low work/home life balance, very early starts from 4-5am, long hours, get sent on break an hour into your shift on a 10 hour shift. The wage seems good to the eye but underpaid for what your actually expected to do and in what time frame to do it at

Pros

Leaving

Cons

Long hours, stressful environment, understaffed, under paid, no recognition, no progression

Long hours 20 min breaks, understaffed

Shift patterns are all over the place leaving you no time for yourself or for a social life. You could be working close Shift on Monday, 10am till 5pm on Tuesday and the back in at 5am on Wednesday. Sleep becomes a thing of the past. 20 minute breaks are all you get during a day, even if you end up working 12hrs which is rare but has happened on occasions. Stores are struggling with shortages at the minute and training is non existent. Salary is OK but is not worth the amount of your life you give up in my opinion. Company doesn't care about employees.

Working at Lidl

Lidl is a company who wants to make out most of it.Even in the current situation they don't want to lose a profit, so they squeeze out from the employees as much as they can, if someone breaks they just hire someone else, as "everyone is replacable". According to the experts Lidl's gives one of the worst contracts among retail companies. Also one of the very few Businesses which don't want to recognise Union( don't be surprised why). True one of the fastest growing retail companies, what has a price and usually the workers pay for it. Lidl isn't afraid to go against they own policies or even the law, just to make sure maintain high productivity. Work/life balance is horrible. Normally employees never finish on time. And often they asked to go work early. If you want to finish on time usually you get emotional blackmailing, and easily can be targeted. They expect you to use WhatsApp as a communication tool, so you can be available 24/7. Also for any rota changes etc, what they should not, but you won't say "NO" as "You should be happy, you have a job." They describe they work as "fast paced", honestly is far over "fast paced" it's very challenging for your mental and physical health. They expect you to pull heavy pallets, what only should be moved by electric equipmentnts, but you can't use those, because you don't have a training, so instead to give you a training, they just make you to suffer.With managers you can be lucky, you can have a fair manager with good people skills on rare occasions. You hardly ever get praised, mostly told off...Conclusion:Lidl used to be a decent -

Pros

Sightly higher salary compare the other retails

Cons

Work/life balance, job culture, effect on health

Rubbish company to work for in professional

Treat you like rubbish if you don't fit in with there way and treat customers and staff like rubbish.There is no customer service and managers walk around doing nothing.

Pros

Cons

No full time jobs except managers

Good starting job

Good job to get you going in life, start making some money and learn good customer services skills. Not a set work rota so each week is different with a mix of long shifts and short shifts so you can be spontaneous and make plans on the go fairly easily. Very fast paced and some what physically demanding if you work the 5am/6am shifts. You then have to finish your jobs and do a quick tidy before the store opens.

Pros

Up beat team, very short days, easy to book time off.

Cons

Pressure from managers to work faster, not much recognition.

Not a great workplace

My stint at Lidl was short, I worked there for 3 months before I found better work.During my time there, management were less than great, the General Manger was nice, but the duty managers, and shift leaders were horrible. A prominent memory was my last shift before I left, where I was belittled due to my disability and EUPD, by the shift leader.All in all, the pay is okay, the hours are rough, management is terrible, and I can't think of any positives.

Pros

more than minimum wage

Cons

rough shift times, poor management, bad atmosphere.

Ok

Not bad just alot of stress and over working Work load is alot delivery is fast pased it's a graft every shift And there proticalls for serving on till anger most customersIt's a good pay but as I said the work loads is high and alot of work which is demeded bye manament

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Long hours rude customers

Good workplace

Working at Lidl was a great experience. Have to admit it’s hard work however it pays well and you also receive staff discounts. Overall, it was a good job.

Pros

Staff discounts, good pay

Cons

Hard work, very early shifts

You're just a number.

Unfair treatment. No good bye or thank you after 2 years of service with 100% attendance.Good job but no management responsible.Wouldn't recommend

Long hours, not worth it

Brand new store. The first few weeks were fine but then the 5am starts start to take a toll on you and I would dread having to work a store close because we would never be done on time and organisation was poor which meant sometimes you'd have to stay till 12:30pm. The managers would ask me to go quicker in every aspect of the job and I felt like I was being put under too much pressure for a simple job that I could do perfectly fine. They would ignore complaints when you needed help and would deliberately ignore you over the headset even when I was talking to them and looking straight at them. Management became harsh as more people left and almost every shift I would be asked to stay and do overtime. This led to not having any free time and constantly being texted and called by my managers when at home. Then there was the the long shifts and short breaks, 30 min break for a 10 hour shift was exhausting. They give you your rotas 3 weeks in advance but always change it and people called in sick everyday so don't make plans whilst you work here. They also put everyone on 20hr contracts and the pay starts at £9.20-£9.50 and to me it just wasn't worth it because I was having no free time so I decided to leave. If you want to work here please seriously consider if you want a personal life outside of working at Lidl and if you don't mind doing hard labour for not much in return.

Pros

10% discount, nice staff room, lots of training

Cons

Long hours, early/late starts, always having to do overtime, short breaks.

Never go and work there

No support at all from anyone. Constantly pushing you to the limits. Never there to help from anyone. Cant make a good team work as your mouth must be shut and just do the work which is overwhelming every day.Cant relay in anyone. NO HR number for you if you got issues. YOU must be fit and with strong power to do pallets over 2metres high with heavy weight. They doesn't care about your circumstances if you are a single parent or with health restrictions or you need to have specific day off. Nobody is there for you and if you got an issues and they cant sort it out they will tell you to look for other job . No union at all . Plus they never pay me right money since I started. Im glad and so relief that i left that Company and my health straight away start improving so you can imagine how much stressed you are working for them. And you must know you never will finish on time!!!!!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Good company to work for

If you are thinking of working for the company, there are a few things you definitely need to consider! 1. Your flexibility - you can be starting work as early at 5am some days, and other days finishing as late at 11PM. Some days, you may be asked to cover shifts short notice due to sickness, or busy periods. 2. Meeting targets - There are targets for lots of things! For example - you will have (roughly) 30 minutes to work a pallet of stock, you will have to scan 30 items per minutes at the checkouts, you will need to ensure your till float remains £0 difference at the end of each shift. 3. Working in a team - To be able to work alongside your colleagues. Everyone there is after the same goal, as long as you are trying, you will get on just fine. The best thing about working at Lidl is that you are trained on EVERYTHING. This includes checkouts, working stock, baking, and working promo stock e.g. middle of Lidl. Some people are stronger at certain areas of the store than others, so you may find you will be doing one particular job more than another.There is a lot of opportunity to progress with your career at Lidl. As a customer assistant, if earned, you are able to take on additional responsibilities such as: becoming training mentor and training up new members of staff! When you take on these additional responsibilities, this works in your favour for when you want to progress further, for example, shift manager. In a nutshell - APPLY! It is not an easy job, but it is highly awarding. Great pay, great people, great progression. The only reason I left, was because I -

Pros

Good pay! I was on £10.75 per hour. Good holidays, I was on 35 days per year. Good progression - opportunities to take on extra responsibility.

Cons

Sometimes you will work long long long hours! For example, on a Sunday you can work 6AM - 6PM. If you work a close, you do not leave until all jobs are finished. Sometimes, you can be put on checkouts for many many hours, which can be tiring.

Customer Assistant

The evening and weekend work isn't shared out fairly, you sometimes don't get your contracted hours. Cleaning jobs on an evening are not shared out fairly depending on who is working, different rules apply to give the new staff the cleaning but the same shifts they will be expected to help when usually on that shift they would do it all and not have any help, you will be told to hurry up eventhough there is a constant amount of customers at the till on the Sunday. Some staff do help you, you will be serving long Ques and have a list of cleaning to do and are told not to open a till unless you're really desperate and have customers shouting at you. You will also be given more jobs to do of which you won't recieve any help, these are expected to be completed. Some of the shifts can be very unpleasant.

Pros

Free tea and coffee, sometimes you get free things from the bake or drinks

Cons

Atmosphere and hours of work

do not work for lidl

if i could give management a 0 i would. absolutely corrupt and far too much work for one person. management don't care about their staff at all and are only looking out for number 1

Pros

salary is decent

Cons

everything else

Micromanaged. You are bottom rung and you know it

Prepare to be stressed constantly while managers do as little as possible and blame you for everything. If you want to be put on tills for 8 hours a day whilst favourites get all the good jobs this is for you. The pay per hour is good but what they expect for that is for you to do the job of 2 people. Tescos have more people in the pharmacy than lidl have running the entire store. If its busy thats more money for head office. If its quieter then expect to have your hours cut.

Pros

Its a job

Absolutely awful

No spare time always work weekends so can’t go out and don’t get a choice work is way too hard for the pay. Not worth joining. Shifts are long and irregular always asked to come in on my days off. I was asked 4 times in 1 day. Feel very guilty calling in sick as they make u feel bad. I called in sick once and was asked if I could try to sleep it off and come in in a few hours. If u are rotated in until 11 u can’t leave until all the work is done. Worst place to work try any other supermarket.

Pros

Cons

No free time, short breaks, random shifts, ridiculously hard work

1.7K