Lidl logo

Clear
3.5Pay & benefits

Found 50 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,772 reviews

Lidl's management

Needs to fix their attitude. I felt management was poor, no one knew how to run the store. We had muitple applicants for Lidl in Woolwich and they were all moved to somewhere else because how out store was being run to the group and I still feel we could do better as a company in woolwich. The hours may be long however it is good pay and I can't argue with that. However I wouldn't get my fix hours a week. So for example I'm on 25 hours per week. I only get 16 hours. That's something I'm not to happy about.

Bad management and rules but good pay

Terrible management, terrible contracts can be done your contracted hours every week then owe the company hours, great pay and benefits but unless you’re a manager it’s not a good job! You have no life for always working the weekends and bank holidays. Breaks you have 15 minutes for 4+hrs -6hrs if under 4 you have 0 break but if you are late clocking out you get a breaks deducted. If you go over 6 hrs before clocking out you get 30 minutes deducted instead of 15. 6+ hrs is 30 minutes, if you don’t bring your own lunch and you buy something from the store you take this time out of your break and if there’s ques you could lose 10 minutes easily Just buying your lunch

Pros

Pay

Cons

Hours, breaks, management, contracts, flexibility

It's a job

Working in a supermarket like this is basically a means to an end. You need money to pay bills, but it is far too stressful and fast paced, not in a postive way either.

Made me ill

Working for lidl for 6 years had good and bad days more than not bad. The other staff who had been there years walk round like zombies and as miserable as sin. The management I had to start with was great but they ship them out as soon as you get to know them. The salary is compensation for having no work life balance and they preach about helping with mental health issues and are the least mental trained as the postman. are the least

Underpaid and undervalued for how hard you work. Not enough time to spend with family. Overworked with not enough staff for all the stores.

Underpaid and under valued for how hard you work. Not enough time to spend with family. Overworked with not enough staff for all the stores. Short notice for you to cover shifts.

Pros

10% staff discount on all in store items. Can progress higher in your career. Jobs are quite secure.

Cons

Overworked in every shift, must be physically fit, and underpaid and undervalued for the work that you do for the low rate of hourly pay you get

fun and fast pace working place

it is a fast paced work place but does have its benefits of achievement and accomplishment work life balance is a bit difficult special if you are in management. but other wise it is very rewarding

working hard doesn't pay

working hard doesn't pay but good pay rate for the industry, doing your job well is not rewarded at all..... Good benefits, 35 days per year paid holidays but management have a lot to work towards their attitude towards the employees ( talk nicer, show respect....not rudely demanding)

Pros

good rates of pay

Cons

management attitude

Not for the faint hearted

I worked for Lidl from 2016-2018 Very unsociable hours All consuming Unrealistic expectations Moody/rude staff Can be made to sit for 10 hours which is more difficult than it sounds Have to scan minimum of 30 items a minute Need to able to heavy lift

Pros

Discount and Good pay

Cons

Not as good an employer as they used to be

In recent years working conditions have deteriorated to the point where it has affected many of my colleagues mental health and wages have not kept up to previous levels when compared to the minimum wage.

Fast paced work environment, salary quite good

Can be quite stressful at times, and you have to multitask a lot, salary very good if you want to progress further. Working environment is very fast paced and you have to use your own initiative and think ahead. You are not just allocated to one job and have to work in different areas e.g checkout, shopfloor, chiller, freezer, bakery and checkout.

Pros

Paid holiday and start rate very good

Cons

Long hours, demanding physical and mental work., if you work 10 hours you only get a 30 minute break

Jobs at Lidl

Retail Sales Associate positions
See more jobs

They expect far too much work...the more you work the more they expect. Good benefits...bad work life balance

Good benefits. Not bad pay Far too much expected and known in Germany as a very poor employer. Not enough staff because they are tight fisted. They cut the costs maximally to give customers cheapest possible price...but unfortunately the staff suffer because of this. Whilst customers deserve the cheapest price..they should not sacrifice service and often no one even in store to answer questions and assist customers.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Work pay does not cover stress

Great people, Teaches good work ethic

I worked at lidl while at uni and a little while after. They were very accommodating to what hours/ days I could do. the pay is good for a super market store, however you definitely need to be a hard worker. This does however teach you a great work ethic and will keep you fit. If you don't like working either early or late shifts it might not be for you as you can start as early as 5am and as late as 11pm. For me the staff and managers were all lovely, and everyone was pitched in to get the job done. One of the worst things was the customers. Working in customer service is all I've ever known, but I've never experienced a customer service interaction that has been so upsetting, not only to me but a few other colleagues were reduced to tears. This may because the customers don't respond well to the german style of running things. This being said, Lidl has taught me so many skills both personally and professionally and I have made some friends for life, as well as an increased fitness level.

Pros

Company benefits

Cons

Stressful but fun place to work

I have worked at lidl for almost 2 years now. It can be very stressful and sometimes painful at times. But the team I work with are so fun and keep each other going. The shifts are very long and sometimes you don’t get a break until about 6/7 hours into your shifts. But the time goes so fast you don’t really notice. The management are pretty good and any problems I’ve had they’ve been very helpful and changed rotas and things.

Pros

Good management, pay

Cons

Stressful, long hours

Was alight

Was alright had it good and bad like most jobs the pay and structure was good work life balance was up and down management was poor I would do back again

Good pay, unduly stressful

It's a good place to work if you thrive on fast paced environment and pressure. The pay is good as are the holidays. I did however watch people do 16 hour shifts with only a half hour break because of the pressures that they were put under. I learned how to work under stress and produce the work that was expected of me. The hardest part of the job was dealing with deadlines that were impossible to meet. The best part was getting your pay at the end of the month.

Pros

Good money and progression opportunities.

Cons

Long shifts and extremely stressful.

lidl

Lidl is a great starting job for when you finish school or doing uni at the same time as there is not a big number of hours 20-25 which is great if you just want some pocket money

Cons

no hours

a good place to work

Lidl is a very fast paced working environment, you are expected to work at these standards. You get very good pay for retail and a lot of holiday. The balance of work and normal life is not good at all, expect to work extremely early and late every weekend and have unsociable shifts. There is never any variety in what you do, most 10 hour shifts will be spent sat on a till with just one allocated 30 minute break.

Pros

Good pay, a lot of holiday

Cons

Long unsociable hours

Bad Manager

Awful Management, expect the world and never give any praise for the hard work you put in. Pay is great but expect to be treated like a worthless slave for it

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Fun workplace

It's hard work and the days are long, a lot of variety of tasks to do. It does get busy and stressful at times but great colleagues and good management at shop level make this a fun place to work

Pros

Pay

Cons

long days

I'd work there again

Long hours and lots of overtime was available. Couldn't really take my breaks because it was so busy and management didn't really let me take my breaks. Apart from that it was hard work, allot of grafting and I enjoyed it! I love working hard, makes the day go quicker.

Pros

good wage

Cons

Long hours, never get your break, allot of grafting

Worked to the bone, always understaffed - better than average pay

Worked like a slave. Always under staffed The pay is better than average. Could finish work at midnight and start again at 5am High turn over of staff, and many require sick on a regular basis.

Pros

Pay is better than most supermarkets

Cons

Worked like a dog

1.6K