Lidl logo

Clear
3.5Pay & benefits

Found 475 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,772 reviews

Hard work, salary okay

I've worked for lidl on nights for 3 years and at a few different stores.If you have a decent manager you will be fine.If you have an awful manager, it will put you off the company and the role very quickly. Managers here in my experience are either 10/10 or 1/10.Schedule - Some of them take the mic and you will have no social life.The workload is a lot, that is to be expected with the way they operate. Its not for the work shy.I did nights.The workload varies on which store you are at. Some it is manic, some it is average and the rest barely have anything to do all night and can literally stroll around.Benefits are being able to listen to music and the workload - time flies.Like anywhere if you have horrible people the experience will be awful.Some teams like working pallets together and some will leave you alone to do your own thing which I highly prefer. Long story short- if something is wrong challenge it. If they don't listen find somewhere else to work. It's not worth it.Years ago the pay was worth it now you can get other roles for same pay, if not more and also have a life.

Pros

Listening to music on nights.

Cons

Rota, pay

Slave labour camp

If you are working here as a picker then it's a awfull job. Unachievable targets 170 cases per hour, heavy items stuck under racking that needs hand balling. Untidy, smashed cases in the Isles. I was trained for 10 minuites and that was it. MHE'S flying up and down at dangerous speeds. I think the rota works out that you get 6 weekends off a year!! ONLY good thing about this place is the canteen, though you get about 15 mins to eat your food before it's back to work.

Pros

Cheap lunch from canteen

Cons

Very hard work. No work life balance. Low wage

do not work for lidl

if i could give management a 0 i would. absolutely corrupt and far too much work for one person. management don't care about their staff at all and are only looking out for number 1

Pros

salary is decent

Cons

everything else

Fun place to work

Good place to work as long as you don't want to change your hours as I said didn't want to work every weekend but they said I had to because the business is open

Pros

Cons

Long hours early starts late finishes

Hard work

Get ready to work your hardest every day.Not everyone is equal. Steady pay but you have to be smart to check how they manage your holidays..etc..You won't be able to complete your contracted hours every week. While some people doing overtime. Teamwork is everything . No. I do not recommend long-term.

Pros

Steady pay

Cons

Hardest work of your life-stress

Absolutely awful

No spare time always work weekends so can’t go out and don’t get a choice work is way too hard for the pay. Not worth joining. Shifts are long and irregular always asked to come in on my days off. I was asked 4 times in 1 day. Feel very guilty calling in sick as they make u feel bad. I called in sick once and was asked if I could try to sleep it off and come in in a few hours. If u are rotated in until 11 u can’t leave until all the work is done. Worst place to work try any other supermarket.

Pros

Cons

No free time, short breaks, random shifts, ridiculously hard work

Rubbish

Most staff and management are friendlyYou get told you can have an hours break if your doing 8+ hours but you have to give them atleast a day or 2 days notice other wise you only get half hour (they dislike you having an hour)Pay is goodIf your on a close, be prepared to be out late (I got out late a lot more than on time) you can be there well over an hour late depending on how busy the shop isWhen your new sometimes you don’t get the chance to get off tills as everyone else willBreaks are never consistent, no matter how long your shift is, you won’t be able to go on break until the store can cope serving without you

Pros

Good pay / friendly staff

Cons

Rubbish breaks / late out / work you like dogs

Pros and Cons like everything in life.

If youre not a night person this job isnt for you, if you dont like extremely busy regime, and when i say extremely busy i mean when you start your shift at 4-5am you dont get to sit down until at least 10-11 and thats for your 20 minute break, regardless of shift length. The staff are all 100% spot on, some people are power hungry and love to dictate but majority are sound. Consists of packing out shelves, you have 4 stacked pallets of fresh stock to work in 3/4 hours everything must be out before shop opens plus floors brushed mopped and till areas cleaned. If your till trained youll be on till for 4-7 hours of shifts depending on what till they throw you on the day. If youre on a closing shift its tills until close then the whole shop needs tidied, and if youre shift says finish at 11pm thats unrealistic more like 12.30. They purposely employ less people to do more jobs to save money, so this isnt news to anyone. You think an attractive rate of pay is nice until you work in the place, 30 hours a week feels like 60. Never see my kids or any of my family, and that matters to no one at this place. Other than the pay there are no real benefits to this place, working with public in general is tough enough. It aint the hard work that put me off, i worked as a hudsman to a bricklayer for 3 years at £40 a day and thats real work. Its the lack of empathy for peoples lives. Avoid if youre looking for something that can provide a salary and a work life balance.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Long hours, 1, 20 minute break on every shift. Management lacks people skills

Good coworkers and supportive managers!

I had a really great time working in my Lidl! The staff and managers were all the loveliest I've worked with and were really understanding. The shifts can be very tiring as you're expected to get a lot done in a short period of time but the pay is higher than a lot of places.

Pros

Good wage, lovely coworkers, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Hard work, not great hours

Got out of there. Best thing I did!

Favouritism to a few. No morale. No praise, only criticism. No social life, especially on weekends. Any vacancies for higher up the ladder were given to outsiders. No chance of promotion. Management and supervisors had little or no warehouse experience. No man-management skills either.

Pros

Early finish if you're on day shift.

Cons

Bad back through constant lifting.

Jobs at Lidl

See more jobs

Last retail store I will work at

Don't get me wrong, when I first started at Lidl it was amazing. Nice colleges and the manager was super nice to me. But after working there for 3 years, I started hating it. The long hours (I was on a 20 hour contract, would work 35+ a week) only 10% discount in store. Starting at 4 am and mostly working till 2pm. Managers not caring about mental health or your well-being (may be different at other lidls but not this one) if you don't mind long hours and colleges talking behind your back, then this is the place for you

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Long hours, managers not listening to anything you say

Extremely demanding

Is well paid, extremely challenging place to work. Worked for over 5 years, I had 4 different head of sale 3 different area managers and 3 regional directors.

Pros

Good experience how to work under extreme pressure

Cons

Long hours, 50h week. 47.5 contract but unpaid breaks

Physically fit a must

High energy required all day every day. Training is on the job. 5a.m starts hard work. Good rate off pay with overtime during busy periods, unsociable hours supplement. Free parking, uniform provided.

Pros

Good rate of pay

Cons

Minimal breaks

Bad management and rules but good pay

Terrible management, terrible contracts can be done your contracted hours every week then owe the company hours, great pay and benefits but unless you’re a manager it’s not a good job! You have no life for always working the weekends and bank holidays. Breaks you have 15 minutes for 4+hrs -6hrs if under 4 you have 0 break but if you are late clocking out you get a breaks deducted. If you go over 6 hrs before clocking out you get 30 minutes deducted instead of 15. 6+ hrs is 30 minutes, if you don’t bring your own lunch and you buy something from the store you take this time out of your break and if there’s ques you could lose 10 minutes easily Just buying your lunch

Pros

Pay

Cons

Hours, breaks, management, contracts, flexibility

Stressful, horrible manager

So I worked at Lidl for 3 weeks and ended up walking out due to the manager verbally abusing me and belittling me which damaged my mental health. The job is far too stressful for the good pay. You’re expected to finish bulk pallets in 20 minutes, anything over and you get shouted at. No praise what so ever, clique’s are formed and they gossip about you behind your back before getting to know you. Management clearly don’t care about your wellbeing. You are verbally abused if you have 1 sick day Management clearly have anger issue’s and throw’s stuff around the place if someone rings in sick or is running late.

Pros

Good pay, nice customer’s

Cons

Long hours, bully boy managers. expected to work yourself to death.

If your not popular you wont get on here.

Not good money. Great wage but they dont supply the hours your contracted for, which means they pay you all your first months wages then are in debt to them for hundereds of pounds. They refuse to work around home life or a second job and never finish on time due to having to wait for other staff members and managers before the front door is unlocked. You dont get a free meal when working, have zero to a half hour break regardless of hours worked and only a 10% staff discount but only on certain items.

Pros

Some staff members can be nice

Cons

Hard work but simple for anyone

There is a lot of heavy lifting and a lot of physical tasks that need to be done and staring at 5am some day can be tedious but other than that it’s rather quiet an easy job where you go in do what your told to do and leave

Pros

Good pay, lots of hours, easy

Cons

Early start, overtime pays 1 month over

Productive and place you learn something every day

At work we get responsibilities but same time get ownership which make us feels good and happy when achieving the task and management recognised our hard work.

Pros

Staff discount, employee discussions & feedback

Awful place to work for

Stuck on tills for sometimes 8+ hours at a time with a 20 minute break if even, management completely unprofessional, made my mental health shatter, don’t do it

Pros

Pay was ok

Cons

Everything, don’t put yourself through the hassle, the money wasn’t even worth it

Don't bother!!

When I first started at Lidl, I was full of beam. Great company, salary, benefits etc. However, a few months on, pick rate has been introduced, despite no manager being in charge of the freezer rate. Absolutely impossible to hit your pick rate of 200 if you recieve small orders, whilst favouritism takes place. If you are a golden employee you will get big orders to hit your pick rate. No training whatsoever or support. They'll tell you at your interview one in three weekends, yet when you start you are rostered to work every weekend. They'll expect you to work all Bank Holidays with no overtime rate or time off in leiu. Christmas Day and New Year's Day you have to book as holiday which I understand they are not legally entitled to do. You will need to work Boxing Day! Shambles!!!!!

Pros

Good pay, bonuses, benefits and a subsidised canteen.

Cons

No work life balance, no support or training, impossible pick rate.

No thanks

Good salary. Awful culture. Experience and knowledge is not appreciated. They just want young and willing people to work themselves into the ground. If you have your own mind, you will not fit in.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Hours, culture, management.

1.6K