Lincolnshire Co-operative

Lincolnshire Co-operative Employee Reviews

The work like balance at store manager is none existent. You are expected to drop everything in your life to cover sickness or if your shop needs it. Understandably a degree of this is needed and the more than adequate salary reflects this. But when it's all the time with little support from management it gets too much. Even to the point of an amended duties fit note being ignored. Leaving this company for one that cares about the well being of its staff is the best thing I ever did.
Pros
Salary at management level.
Cons
Work life balance, well heing of staff ignored, definite favourites amongst management.
I am the latest employee within the store and have not had anything negative happen and brilliant team to work with , have worked in retail and people facing companies most of my life and the team here are one of the best , manager gets stuck in which shows great team work and shows he is committed to supporting his staff
Pros
Great team spirit
Cons
Non so far
If your face fits then fine. But otherwise be prepared to work every weekend. No work/life balance. Head office never back you up if you have a problem. Managers can do no wrong
Pros
Cons
Weekend work
Where do I start with the worst company ever, the management are horrible, the company do not support you in any way. The bonus they offer you is literally put onto you store card so you have to spend it back into there stores I mean what a joke. If you have any sort of issue you are told just to get on with it and then you are given a 24 hour contract but expected to work anywhere up to 40 to 50 hour weeks no support at all the best thing I can say is to stay clear from them.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, lies, no support, rubbish bonus system, the worst management
I worked for the company for over a year and a half at two separates sites as both a CSA and lastly a Team Leader. Both stores were horribly mismanaged, poorly staff, and had an ingrained culture of laziness, bitchiness, and poor standards. The managers only care and do real work when the area manager comes around once in blue moon. After that, they take all the best shifts and don't care if you and the other work force have any routine or time for family. The companies reaction to Covid 19 was awfully slow and pretty shambolic, thus making staff feel unsafe and overworked. Many quit during lockdown. You will never work your contracted hours, whether you like it or not - overtime is compulsory or as they like to say "the needs of the company." Pay is poor, especially as a Team Leader. You will only progress if you brown nose - they do not appreciate the truth. If you have a pre-existing condition, do not expect head office or management to care for you, even with evidence. You're simply a nuisance. I've worked at other retailers but Lincolnshire Coop is the worst of the lot. If you want to keep your physical and mental health in order, steer clear. Best decision I ever made quiting.
Pros
Dividend and bonus
Cons
Have to spend staff bonus in store, lack of routine, horrible management culture
Everyday is like groundhog day, feel stressed going into work. Store manager was useless and has divided the workforce and very unapproachable . Most of the people are nice .When you need support and help the company does not help at all
Pros
pay not bad
Cons
lots
Lincolnshire Co-operative like to make life better in our communtires by providing & supporting valued services & helping to grow the local economy & looking after local environments.
Pros
Staff points
Fast paste environment, good manager always there if you needed help. Some work colleagues gossip about you behind your back. Walked into the staff room and didn’t make me feel welcome. Told team leader, made a huge deal about it and took the other girls side as she was there longer than me. This other work colleague was rude, never spoke and left me as an outsider and used to gossip about other work colleagues which was inappropriate. When a customer was rude you would get the blame for not dealing with them well enough. Even got sworn at but still wasn’t backed up, never have been rude to customers but still wasn’t good enough. Long shifts, expected to work most weekends whilst the ‘favourites’ had it off. team leader wasn’t understanding about pre existing health conditions. Clearly just ended probation with awful excuses. They just covered themselves so they technically weren’t getting rid of me due to illness and made a bunch of excuses up. Made to come into work when I was very poorly, lost my voice, felt very poorly, went into back and loss balance. Got sent home to then find out from another work colleague that this team leaders then was annoyed at me for going home, and told everyone is a group chat that was made which I wasn’t in. So unprofessional.Training was ok, was mainly online, had to figure some stuff out for myself as NOBODY tells you anything if you make a mistake that wasn’t your fault when clearly you simply didn’t know. Bad team leaders, both said nothing would affect my probation such as sickness, made up that I was late to work, always rang in - more...
Pros
Customers, good pay
Cons
Long hours, bad team leaders
A great place to work and have loved every minute of it, past paced but we get through it as a team. Lots of support from colleagues and never a dull moment.
Pros
Teah work and support
Cons
Difficulty if needed to sit down behind the till
The claim to respect being “together” But quite simple nothing could be further from he truth. Old boys club at the top of management and everyone below is disregarded. Terrible pay for the responsibility expected to undertake. Experienced first hand the bullying managers offer
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Lincolnshire Co-operative?
I worked for the co op for just under a year and ended up having to quit because the environment was so bad to work in. Managers/ team leaders clearly had favourites and I was not one of them, so was given all the jobs they did not want to do and often left on check-outs for my whole 8 hour shifts. I was given either 5:30am starts or 11pm finishes and never asked whether this is something I was actually okay with and just expected to work these hours that no one wanted to do. My contract was 25 hours but I was often working 40+ hours a week without being asked- it would just be on the rota, and pressured into working overtime resulting in one month where I had no weekends off, and one occasion where I worked 8 days in a row. The staff had cliques, and as the only new person hired for a while I was quickly left out and gossiped about. I had one customer that would shout abuse at me for no reason whenever they came in, and when I raised this with management nothing was done and I was told to just continue serving them.I was also nearly sacked for absences despite providing a hospital letter and a doctors note for a medical condition that I have that caused me to have some days off work. Horrible place to work and no surprise that when I left there were only a few members of staff there that were there when i started.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Everything else
I was regularly expected to work double my contracted hours and when I mentioned this was told I was lying. The rota would often be changed last minute and with no notice, on a few occasions I received phone calls at 6:30 am to ask why I wasn't at work despite it being my day off. Whilst some team leaders were exceptional, others made it clear they were willing to do no work and would often wander around leaving CSAs to complete their tasks. At least the pay was okay.
The co-operative was a lovely place to work when I first joined. However this quickly changed, I realised that bullying occurs in the workplace. It comes down from the managers who bully their team leaders. This was happening all the time. I saw 3 people leave in the space of 4 months because of it. One of them nearly had a breakdown Its a horrible place to work now. And the bullying has moved on to someone new. I heard this is common among all of the food stores. The recent Coronavirus is dangerous as we all know, the co op took a long time to increase the protection of their colleagues
This organisation exposes its real intentions once your face no longer fits in the clique of management or the ‘big boys club’! Its ‘Purpose’ is to divide, devalue and break up hard working colleagues, ideas are rarely listened to and ‘leadership’ is poor. Bullying and maltreatment take place to remove experienced and knowledgeable colleagues, through constant restructures! Senior managers overlook front line colleagues, failing to remember they are also 'members' and hold important views and values.
Company portray health and well being of team members. This is all a front. They do not value loyalty and hard work. They will actively construct to remove people whose face does not fit even if they are excellent in their role. They will use bullinging, harrassment and encourage others to bring grievances against the unwanted. I have a actually heard top management say 'get rid of them'. People and Performance are not listening to the ground level team and are being advised by lying and manipulating leadership management who are using others below them as scapegoats. AVOID this negative company who are NOT in any way Together
The wages dont reflect the level of responsibility between a customer service assistant and a team leader who is responsible for everything essentially running the store during their shift for 40p more per hour.
Worked for company for 17 years, new higher management took over 4 years ago and the company became more stressful, if your face doesn't fit anymore then watch your back
Pros
Staff benefits
Cons
Hierarchy
On the whole the Lincolnshire co op is a good company to work for. There are many benefits available from child care vouchers, employee association, staff points/dividend, pensions schemes etc. As with any job all managers and stores are slightly different so depending where you work and whom you work with you are likely to get different atmospheres and management styles. I worked my way up to a manager role and did enjoy the fast paced environment. However in the few years running up to my decision to leave many changes took place within the company and like most company's in todays economic climate everything got tighter. Cut backs, skeleton staff, unrealistic KPI's etc made for a stressful work environment towards the end. An excellent company for those wanting to progress to a managerial role in retail-take advantage of the companies many in house and nationally recognised qualifications and grow your knowledge and CV! Not so good and managing a work life balance and wouldn't recommend for those with young families (in a management role). Supervisors/team leaders theres very little pay difference from being just a check out girl compared with the responsibility you take on. Customer service assistant level if you can get decent weekly contracted hours its a cracking little job.
No chance of career progression. Managers have favourites. Poor management overall. Invisible area manager. Bullying and manipulation by colleagues which is allowed to continue. The public image of the company is the not the same as the reality of working for them. Terrible pay.
Pros
Employees Association
Cons
Everything else
No progression for anyone working a lower rung job, also low pay and very high expectations for the poor pay, we had a collegue leave and instead of replacement we have had to struggle no end due to the area mangers inability/unwillingness to help. After 10+ years service i'm leaving due to such poor staffing management, people and performance don't seemed to fussed either, sinking ship stay away!
I honestly would’t advise my worst enemy to work there. The whole company is full of bullies and if your face doesn't fit then they just get worse until you leave. I worked there for 8 years and iv seen it happen to so many people including myself. Management are lazy and gossip about you and other staff. You end with the company feeling so alone because not one person cares about your well being.