Liverpool John Moores University

Liverpool John Moores University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom84 reviews

studentstaffnicefriendlyexperienceworkinglotenvironment

Productive and Fun Place to Work

I worked several part-time jobs which I applied through unitemps. All my jobs have been fun to work and enjoyable.Most of the full-time employees have been working there for over 10 years, and that says a lot.

Pros

Free Lunches, Good Management

Strange leadership culture

Whilst there is freedom to plan your day and prepare activities there was limited feedback from management as to how best to implement the programme. Lots of passing the buck to other people and help will be coming soon. Allas, it never did.Lost the will to do things as there seemed no urgency.

Pros

Good annual leave

Cons

Culture was poor

Insights into Liverpool John Moores University

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Friendly and rewarding workplace

I throughly enjoyed my time working at LJMU, management are great and very supportive throughout. Flexible working hours and a very rewarding job role

Pros

Friendliest work environment I’ve ever experienced

Cons

Can be busy during peak recruitment times- but we all worked together

Very relaxed place to work, however this is very boring.

Very relaxed atmosphere, easy and secure job however very little opportunity for progression. The culture is a culture of learning and professionalism.

Pros

Secure job, very little expectations, would have to murder somebody to be fired.

Cons

The senior management click is unbreakable and downright despicable.

External Examiner

I worked as an External Examiner at the Computing and Information Systems department from 2015-2019. My experience was excellent in terms of inclusion, support and respect, in the wirk I conducted.

Pros

Cons

Not applicable

Waste of time to apply a job at LJMU.

I do work at LJMU on daily basis for many years. I have seen many other staffs without any career progression. One of the colleagues said he worked there for 25 years without any career progression. Another said he worked at LJMU for 24 years without any career progression. To this extent, LJMU is worse place to work. No diversity is valued in there.No appreciation for hardworking and honest employee.

Pros

Some people are really nice.

Cons

Bad place to apply jobs, few chance to success. Waste of time.

good

good wide range of subjects. good culture friendly collaborative helpful career progress good chances nice administrative work good resources resonable

Ambiente di lavoro stimolante e collaborativo

Come tutta la ricerca in Inghilterra, l'ambiente è davvero stimolante, interessante e davvero proficuo per ampliare conoscenze e competenze su determinati temi.

Great team and relaxed professional atmosphere

Great team Relaxed professional atmosphere Modern office Independent working environment Sometimes long days Management professional and honest Complex and interesting client workload

Pros

Handy being in City Centre

Cons

Some offices are too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter

Excellent experience

I would have loved to stay there but it was just a temp role. They treated you with respect and it was a great opportunity to see what work life was like

Engaging and fast-paced place to work

It is a fast-paced environment in which to work. Academic work is balanced with an encouragement to undertake research. Students are, for the most part, engaged and good to be with. Facilities are new and excellent.

Pros

Modern environment.

Cons

Work can get bunched at various points in the year increasing stress levels.

Good Organisation to work for

My most recent role was that of Interim Director of Campus Services at Liverpool John Moore University, my remit was that of change management encompassing all campus services. This involved the implementation of a new structure, terms and condition of employments, working practices, and the recruitment of a senior management team whilst delivering the day to day operations of all campus services and the management of outsourced contractors

Fun and productive workplace

I greatly enjoyed my work experience as a nutrition student here. The atmosphere was very relaxed and productive. There was no pressure to have any specific goal met for a specific time-frame and we were given a lot of freedom to experiment with our own ideas.

terrible atmosphere between low level staff and management

Wouldn't recommend. Management doesn't consult with people on the ground who know how to do the job. In general atmosphere isn't the best, staff fed up and indifferent now.

Working at LJMU

An excellent organisation to work in, with staff passionate about the work that they carry out to support students through their academic studies. My typical day requires me to plan my managers workload, manage her inbox and outlook calendar. I have to ensure my manager is fully prepped for all business meetings, key business, data and information regarding operational issues is shared appropriately to ensure business continuity is delivered and deadlines are met. I work closely with the Executive Managers ensuring business needs are met by all stakeholders, this may range from signposting calls from external clients, to holding meeting with her managers to pull together data for a presentation. The hardest part of my job can be arranging meetings at short notice with extremely busy Executives who already have full diaries; this is often achieved with the assistance of their PA's, and lots of negotiation. During my career here, I have had insight into the Academic, Professional and Financial cycle as well as gaining comprehensive knowledge of the functions of LJMU departments and roles of the Directorate. The most enjoyable part of my day is assisting the Executive or their Managers achieve a target or deadline that had a particularly tight turnaround. I enjoy the sense of achievement that is accomplished by teamwork.

Pros

flexible working

competitive, collaborative, and supportive . good relationships within the departments, easy to find help. emails answered efficiently to resolve any issues.

Pros

supportive

Cons

isolating phd

Pretty secure but little chance to advance.

John Moores university is an odd place to work. It’s easy going , but it takes a bit to get used to working there. Management are regularly making a mess of things by trying to “Fix things”. Hardest part is getting used to long shifts and being looked down on, but you get used to that.

Busy time.

Busy time at work. Very busy. Lots of work. Very busy at work. Lots of it. Lots of busy work. Busy busy work. Lots of it. Busy time at work. Lots of work.

Informative

I have only just started my work at the legal advice centre at Liverpool John Moores University but so far I am enjoying the flexibility available and also the information that has been given is very informative and helpful

Fun workplace

Great workplace culture and brilliant/friendly colleagues. Located right in the city centre, which means the commute is easy and there is a lot of nice restaurants to go to during lunch.

This is a good employer to work for, the benefits out way anything, with good salary, holidays, flexi time and pension. Can be very adaptable to assist with good work life balance. Not much room for progression though.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liverpool John Moores University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement