London Borough of Barking and Dagenham

London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Employee Reviews

Overall the job is good for students and for someones first ever job. The job also has some progression opportunities such as being promoted to crew trainer and management. Also, the job is always fast-paced. The hardest part of the job is closing the store and cleaning all surfaces so that the restaurant is prepared for its reopening the following day. The most enjoyable part of the job is working alongside my colleagues, which boosts my morale and helps the time pass quicker while maintaining the fast-pace work ethic that is required.
Pros
Free meals and discounts
Cons
Late hours
I enjoyed my placement as the team was very supportive and available to support me and other students. There was a lot of opportunity to learn as there was more online training which was easily accessible.
Pros
supportive colleagues
staff are well trained and supported in their role. well diversed cuture, staffs are being respected and valued. my manager is supportive, supervision are good for reflection
The management was very independant and it was challenging because working for them as experience where I was able to know what I was doing. I really enjoyed it and it made me felt like I was actually working for an every day work.
My time at LBBD was overall a pleasant one. With Early starts and earlier finish than most jobs to allow a more balanced work/social lifestyle. The only thing I thought was there was little room for career progression and courses that were promised at the start of my stint at the council; some never came to light. Was a good stepping stone and ideal for people who had children in education but not a place for the start of career progression.
Pros
Early finishes, Overtime rate was fairly decent.
Cons
Not too much room to further your career.
Best thing is working with children which can also be the hardest part. Bringing in children for their lunch, helping them in the dining hall. Playing games with the children in playground or in a class room during wet play.
I Work with children and adults with behavior / physical / mental health disabilities including clients with vulnerable circumstances. Work with a professional and caring team. But the commute is becoming very demanding and I now seek local employment
I operated my own diary at B&D. With guidance and support I ran a project for Public Health. Many skills learnt including presenting to large groups and working with sensitive and vulnerable clients. Management was not dictatorial was with culture was very collaborative. Things I had to overcome was fast pace and dealing with many services and cultures often on daily basis Thoroughly enjoyed working with different levels of business and running my own strategy with guidance.
I enjoyed working in LBBD. The pay was good and it was all in my neighbourhood. It was domiciliary care position, that involved me visiting clients and service users in their homes and assisting them. They lived in the comfort of their homes.
Higher management have no loyalty to frontline workers sacked 11 men for helping an old lady get a rubbish bags out. All 11 members of staff now working for Havering council on the refuse department
Pros
N/a
Cons
Lost 10 years service
great team to work with everyone was very friendly and helpful there was alot of experiance wihtin our team and enjoyed workoign there could not have asked for a better Team Leader/Line manager
Pros
great people, and managment
Cons
no chance of advancment and job secuirity
I loved the Supportive Housing and Managing the house supporting vulnerable tenants who were suffering from mental illness. This did consist of some challenging behaviour and there was lots of finance & admin duties that went along side the support.
Pros
Job Satisfaction
Cons
Some of these positions were on a contract and were going through a restructure.
A really good place to work and over the years, a better place with new ways of working, despite the cuts required. Training is fairly light in places and HR support can be a little disjointed.
Pros
Positive attitude to good workers
Cons
Disjointed in middle management
A typical day would be dealing with the daily tasks of people management and building related issues. hardest part of the job is bureaucracy, takes an unbelievable amount of time to deal with the red tape. The most enjoyable part is embedding the change and moving forward with something new.
Pros
Great people and teams to work with
Cons
Red tape and bureaucracy
Good company to work for however, no chance of taking temp contract to permanent. Overworked and not much gratitude. However, staff work their hardest to look after tnts.
It has changed considerably over the last few years. Five years ago I would have given five stars for each category. It used to be an environment where people had worked there from school and stayed until retirement. It was a jobs for life culture where everybody knew you and they truly cared. It is still a good place to work but has lost/sold its soul somewhat.
Good place to work have really embraced change and modernisation over the last 5 years. Good work life balance. Depending on the department you work within you may find communication and workload cards.
Pros
Good work life balance, ability to work remotely
Cons
Poor communication between departments, corporate strategies are not always clear
Co-ordinating the Adult Care Team – Implementing adult social care policies for people in the community. Working in partnership with Social Workers as the primary point of contact with the public. Organising Care packages, assess the cases with the social workers and provide ongoing policy on private hire for home help and house work of the Adult disabled. Implementing Safeguarding policies and procedures and log all alerts and pass to relevant teams to investigate. Co-ordinating the handovers with various departments such as The Police, The Community Mental Health Team, Community matrons and nurses, care agencies, drugs and alcohol abuse team and local hospitals and General Practitioners. Constant call from public
Pros
Helping the public
Cons
Long Hours
Management are very unprofessional and there is a lot of politics and gossip in this place. There is a huge high turnover within the social care sector.
Pros
Decent salary, bonus and good location.
Cons
No work like balance, poor management.
Collaborative work environment and community focused business which strives to meet all clients requirements based on enabling staff to self-support..
- teaching guitsr and leading ensembles to classes in several schools in the local area. - i learned how to plan and deliver lessons to whole classes, write reports on student progress and continual self evaluation - very good managment, supportive and caring, whilst fostering a productive and collaborative work culture - travelling to work, and inbetween schools, as transport network in the area is really bad - doing end of year concerts for the whole school and parents , where the pupils taught perform