LONDON BOROUGH OF BRENT logo
LONDON BOROUGH OF BRENT

LONDON BOROUGH OF BRENT Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

A Council with great vision

Brent is looking to go forward and adopt better ways of working. Transformation and change are key areas and are supported at the most senior level with cultural change happening across the whole council.

Pros

Great regenerated local area

Cons

Good place to work at and the atmosphere was good with a friendly environment. Few employees use to take time off sick unnecessarily which tainted the good workers.

Pros

Good salary

flexible work place

Good job opportunities across a variety of departments. easy to make connections, a lot of in house courses and training available. flexible working, able to work from home up to 3 days a week.

Well run council

Well run council with dedicated elected members and a competent senior management team. Responsibilities were delegated to competent managers to deliver the business plan.

Pros

Almost paper-free environment

Cons

Temperamental IT system

Rigid managment.

Brent can do better in a lot of the above categories e.g. work-life balance by offering more flexible working in keeping with their own policy. Management tend to be too rigid.

Productive and fun place to work

The staff were lovely, a real team that pulled together. It was only a temporary role so job security and benefits didn't come into it. A lovely place to work.

A typical Day at Work

Working in this environment was very productive and it was a pleasure to go to work each day, as the job varied each day This could involve screening referrals to arranging meetings. They had varied style of management which encouraged to use your skills in reaching your goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I made a difference for clients to achieve a positive outcome.

Pros

Good opportunity to train in different areas

Cons

continuous changes within the Admin Team

Good working environment

A family oriented workplace. Very accommodating and friendly environment There are few challenges in term of filling, organisational structure and work ethics. The open space flexible working our principle is encouraging I feel that it is important to strengthen working with the contractor relationship as well as ensure that the contractors are adhering strickly with the contract term as that has not been the case

Pros

Good support

Cons

Lack proper structure, Internal filling is still a challenge

Every day was productive

A nice bunch of people to work with but central government funding brought the contract to an end. I have retained many friends in the team and still speak to individual ex colleagues there on a regular basis

Pros

Level of autonomy without being micro managed made the job worthwhile and saw many positive results

Cons

Long hours at work and daily commute

Feedback

It was a pleasure working for Brent and I thoroughly enjoy my time. I was able to make a difference to service users by working closely with Residential/Nursing Care homes managers.

Brent can be a good place to work - depending on the job that you are doing. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work at the office and being able to work from home.

Pros

Flexibility

productive fun workplace

follow a rota either registrar, advising on nationality forms filing DOB registers completing orders for DOB certificates customer adviser on the phone

Pros

flexible rota

Great experience and exposure

Great experience and exposure. Great diversity and welcoming environment to work in. Very customer focused and the work life balance is encouraged. working from home is also available.

Pros

Staff

Cons

lack of progression

Challenging and yet satisfying place to work in

This was my first job after my University Degree and I was thrown at the deep end of setting up a network to share printing resources. I learnt a lot about IT networks and dealing with people from challenging backgrounds. My job involved dealing with IT support calls from three different community sites and training the local community in Microsoft desktop applications. The hardest part of my job was setting up an Exchange email system for the Learning centre. I did not understand much about SMTP and other protocols and spent sleepless nights educating myself on it. The most enjoyable part was when the users acknowledged how I had made a difference in their lives and from the support I received from the youth in the community.

Pros

Self motivated and had to push myself harder to meet the challenges.

Cons

Some clients had behavioural challenges.

Don't work here unless you really have to

Don't work here unless you really have to Long hours Bullying Commuting High costs could end you career Very little support Disability not supported

Pros

Brent was voted least happy place to live in the UK. Thats what you'll be up against.

Cons

They will drain you with re tape, mobile phone bills, hot desking, etc. its horrible.

Flexible

Brent council is very accommodating and flexible in terms of work. You are allowed to work from home 2 days per week. The building is state of the art

The turnover of staff is extremely high in the team that I am currently in becuase of the workload.

I need to move on for health reasons. I have completed 6 years in this role. 25 years in total. I have gained a lot of experience with working with customers, clients and other agencies. The hardest part of the job is the caseload. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping my client's to get a service that they deserve.

Pros

Team members are very friendly

Cons

Nil

near to home

A great place to work for as it provides a lot of benefits, ie work life balance etc. people are fun to work with. The council also provided training opportunity for staff

Pros

Flexible working and working from home

Started of good then went down hill

Respond to all emails, receive clients and collect information on their lunches and receive money for lunches. Colate daily stats, update reports maintain all paperwork, receive and reconcile accounts, provide manthly, quarterly stats and financal data

Pros

The clients

Cons

Senior management

Structured and public body accountable to the local community for the provision of public services

The Accounts Payables Team was formed in September 2010 as a result of a Finance Transformation programme, which brought all finance functions under one umbrella to be more accountable and structured. The Accounts Payables team was the busiest team withing the newly formed Finance Service Centre and as the Team Leader, I had to manage a team of 10 staff to ensure that payments to suppliers were delivered according to agreed terms, thereby ensuring that services to the Council were maintained and not compromised. Payments totalled approximately ÂŁ110 million per annum

Ok

Learnt alot about life in general. How to be a better parent.Very involved job, varied dealing with social workers and seeing how the care system works.

Pros

near to home

Cons

no pay rise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LONDON BOROUGH OF BRENT. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement