LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD

LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD Employee Reviews

United Kingdom33 reviews

goodjobmanagementworkdayhardtimeenjoy

Many of the line managers are a law unto themselves;

Managers should be reminded that they are employees of the councils themselves. This may help them to think about supporting their staff proactively rather that looking at just one aspect of the equation which is service delivery.Many managers need reminding that the workers delivering services are as important as the service users. Both categories of people needs robust support that will be of an advantage to the service users and the council as well.

Pros

service users appears to be more important..

Cons

rigid management of time.

Simply works on who you know an not what you know

Worst place to work, you are not chosen on your merit but you are chosen on how far you are already up in your senior's back side and how far are you willing to go.

Pros

Cons

Friends bring friends and bully brings bully environment. Very toxic.

Insights into LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Odd place to work with some good and some bad

Confused place trying to get better but lots of contradictions as would be the case in any local gov't. Nice colleagues and good opportuntities to take courses and grow your career.

Pros

lots of growth opportunities

Cons

egos

An environment where bullying techniques and cultural prejudice reign!

Enfield Council is an instutuon that employs bullies who are amongst the management and the lack of cultural diversity within its workforce is counter productive. It requires social restructuring and the council needs to adhere to the principles of equal opportunity and race relations act. It is full of uneducated personnel who occupy high positions and who are not fully qualified or hold high academic credentials.

Pros

Cons

Lack of cultural diversity and equal opportunities for all segments of the community.

Good working atmosphere

A good place to work but difficult to progress due to jobs being advertised but with current post-holders invariably getting those jobs which are effectively earmarked

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

No progression

A pretty poor experience.

Not a positive experience Managers not supportive or experienced..Manager more interested in keeping her job shows she had little management skills.

Productive work place

A great place to work with opportunity for career development. A very friendly atmosphere with a well tailored adult care services for residents well being.

Salary Benchmark

The Borough should ensure salary benchmark with other local authorities. The salary is not competitive at all! In addition management should ensure that they motivate their staff

Amazing experience

A fun and friendly but also serious insight into the work behind everything

Small workforce

An enjoyable employer to work for however a reluctance to increase the number of full time positions required to provide an excellent service to members lead to a stressful working environment towards the end of my employment.

Agency Social Worker

Working for Waltham Forest was a good experience for me as an agency social worker. I developed a great working relationship with the managers, staff and senior management.

Great Experience

I have loved being a social worker and having a wide range of complex cases and have had opportunities to progress with my career as well as dealing with lot of different professionals.

Pros

Working with children

Cons

Productive and interesting work place

I have worked as an early years practitioner on and off for around 28 years. Only taking breaks to have children. I am looking for a part time job to keep me involved in other areas and to help fianacialy.

Pros

Different challenges every day

Cons

No weekend or holiday work. Only term time.

London Borough of Enfield Business and Economic Developement

Days do not remain typical for a lot of local government employees which range from dustbinmen to social workers. There is a big difference between fairly routine operational services and those that experience policy, structural and funding changes almost constantly. In Economic Development managment of human resources is gearing towards less permanent council employees and more use of contracted professionals who will complete a specific project and move on. These are opportunities for those willing or forced to job hop in the hope of applying for a futher post whilst in house. Managers vary but all are encouraged to adhere to equal opps and professionalism. Staff are somewhat protected by Personal Appraisals as regards job content and performance. Personally, I was very fortunate with my last manager who encouraged me to take on training for more interesting duties, and trusted me when I was innovative. At ground level government cuts are hitting local government very hard with less people doing more work to keep services at functioning levels. However, essential training for changes in work role is usually available. Changes in job role to gain experience or training are likely to be lateral rather than upwardly mobile unless one leaves ones job for another at a higher grade. Health and Safety and working conditions are excellent. As an employer the Council acknowledges unionism, allocating office space for two unions in its main building. In Business and Economic developement the hardest part of the job can be workload, and conflicting - remorseless -

Pros

Good working conditions

Cons

Deadlines can be tight and hours long at peak times.

Friendly and supportive

Excellent opportunity for professional development, but can then be a challenge to advance. The job is challenging and rewarding, but there is very little acknowledgment when working as support staff in school.

Poor culture, Bulling, No support

Charles Babbage House- Poor company to work in. Particularly within the referral and assessment team. A culture of gossiping, bullying and lack of communication between staff and management. very awkward environment to work in. There are other local authorities that value social workers more. Don't waste your time here. You will be left to figure things out alone with a lack of assistance.

Pros

n/a

Cons

work goes unappreciated, lack of support, culture of bullying

Typical day at work is answering phone calls from clients, GPs and those with general enquiries. Everyone is friendly and I have no complaints whatsoever

Pros

Good environment

Cons

Difficult clients

Good London Borough

Enfield is situated on great transport links into London and the country. Many good primary schools in the borough. As this is the only borough I have worked for I cannot make comparisons.

Great place to start your career

I loved teaching in Enfield. They are great for your first position as have high expectations but offer lots of support. The children are lovely, but lots come from difficult backgrounds which is challenging in itself.

Pros

Supportive place

Cons

New structure removes any chance of in-house advancement.

The new working structure means that there is now no chance of advancement for staff working at scale 4. The next pay-grade is a management officer, and libraries have been cut to be "staffed" with volunteers. The 4 main libraries that are still run with paid staff are very understaffed and stressful. The volunteer-staffed libraries often have no volunteers and paid staff have to be located at very short notice.

Pros

Rigid pay scale

Cons

stressfull environment, understaffed, no advancement.

A really great Equal Opportunities employer.

A typical day in my role was to check the cases in my'online' work tray to see differentiate between those that were ready for me to administer Benefit, and those requiring further supporting evidence and information to complete the case. Any falling into the latter category I followed up with courtesy phone call, reminder letter, or email where an email address had been supplied. Each follow up included a reminder of the deadline date for the information to reach me. Where customers were facing eviction, I ensured that I gave priority to gathering all supporting evidence/information as a matter of urgency, contacting Support/Key workers if the customer had been assigned one due to their vulnerability. I also had the opportunity to see customers face to face whilst on Counter duty, and manned the phone calls for the Landlord dedicated call line - this duty was given to all Benefit Assessors on an agreed rota basis. In my role, besides learning extensive Benefit Regulations, various computer programs, and how to be efficient, I also learned how important it is to work in harmony with my managers, Team Members, and external staff/organisations. The hardest part of my job was when I was unable to award Benefit, or backdate benefit, due the customer failing to satisfy all the criteria that had to be met under Benefit Regulations. In those cases I would refer them on to another Team that catered for assistance via other means. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to avert homelessness and hardship for customers, and also the satisfaction of everyday -

Pros

I was allocated thirty days annual leave.

Cons

Redundancies occurred.I took voluntary redundancy to pursue a new career with new challenges.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD with

LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD reviews by location

Learn about LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD in popular locations

• LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?