London Borough of Hackney

London Borough of Hackney Employee Reviews

Loved working here. Very positive environment. Good management and a lively work culture. All the support you need to reduce stress and meet targets etc. Can’t fault it really.

Pros

Nice offices and great staff

Cons

None really

A fast pace job, rewarding but can be stressful

This was a very pleasant job back in the 1980's when l began working in a park, at that time people acknowledged parks and open spaces were very beneficial to people's health and wellbeing. There was better opportunity for training and development back in those days and the council supported people to attend college with time off and would fund courses, the pay has never been great if you have a family to support. But over the years due to government cuts conditions have changed there are less people covering more work and having more responsibilities. Overall the Borough provide a good working environment and they keep up with health and safety commitments.

Pros

A good company to work for with pension plan

Cons

Fast paced and demanding.

Friendly professional environment

I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at hackney. Unfortunately, I had to leave in order to begin my university degree. Would love to return one day in the future.

Pros

Helpful, friendly and knowledgeable colleagues

Cons

A little monotonous at times

Okay work place

At the time I worked at Hackney was good for me, I had a good staff team and run a great service, i found my time at LBH to be good, I know that there were differences in some ares but I just need my job as outline in my JD and try to get the best out of my staff for the people who we supported.

Pros

Good pay / colleagues

Cons

limited career opportunities

A fun workplace

Hackney was a good place to work. There was a good work culture. There was a good team spirit and also reward for hard work. After every year end process there was always a team outing organised to mark the event.

Pros

Flexi days

I worked as a social work consultant.

The management at that time were supportive. They did not promote a blame culture . The teams were supported to be creative and to have autonomy Also to be solution focussed within decision making process. The theraputic support was very integral to the social work practice.

Good to work for

They are a flexible and good company to work for. Will fit around your needs and help you to progress and gain different qualifications. They have a relaxed environment to work in.

Co-workers were very nice and helpful. I was trained up and went live within 2 weeks. Good place to work, good salary Only bad side was lack of weekend hours/overtime until you're more experience.

Employment role, interfacing with the public. Many of the clients were in stressful state. Housing problems, as well as Tax arrears.

Meeting clients who visited to discuss housing problems. Rent arrears, C/Tax indebtedness. A stressful environment. working to strict unreasonable deadlines. The supervisory culture was overwhelming, Demand to meet deadlines number of clients expected to have contacted strictly enforced. Most days worked overtime as interviews had to be completed prior to finishing a shift. The hardest part of my job, clients making demands which are beyond my remit. Often needed to have supervisor intervene to appease clients

Worked at LBH for 13 years. Lovely people, great place to work. Good challeneges on a daily basis, can be fast paced but also can have some great projects to work on. Some of the management team are 5 star. Good progression available but can take some time.

Inspirerande och drivande arbetsmiljö

Under mina 10 år som medarbetare för Hackney Council lärde jag med mycket och var motiverad till att utveckla min roll och drev framåt min karriär.

Not the best

There are a lot of good people working in Hackney, but the place needs a real overhaul. Everything you think you know about Local Authorities is here - inefficiency, waste, lack of decision making, unstable workforce, unprofessional, inter-department point scoring and silo working. You can tell it really wants to be better, but it thinks it's good and can't really see where it is going wrong. The leadership isn't good enough and it needs some commercially minded people to come in and challenge the poor practices and stop wasting public money. Like lots of LAs, there are lots of people who have been there forever. People who have little ambition or feel trapped for the pretence of job security. It's a real shame as if it stays the same, it'll stay the same!

Hackney council

Council was not bad , treated everyone fairly , depending on your job (position and experience ) you are able to climb the ladder fairly quickly , Wages not too bad.

workplace culture

During my time at Hackney councils enforcement team I was not not given training by superiors but by my colleagues. The management were very quick to punish people and not so quick to support them and meet their training needs. As an officer were inundated with changes to your daily tasking but no managers seemed to want to give you any guidance. Neighbouring boroughs are using a more up to date and appropriate methods to tackle the problems the Hackney Enforcement Team are tasked with.

Pros

5 days off

Cons

No established structure

busy and can be fulfilling

some excellent managers, amongst best I've seen, but new culture is of cost cutting including redundancies. According to long time staff culture is definitely turning for the worse.Role is exceedingly pressurised but mundane. No room for creativity

Pros

good training

Cons

long hours for some

Harrdworking worklplace

Busy, dedicated staff Focused Team Hardworking Allocating work Advertising Properties Updating spreadsheets Assisting with ad hoc requests Updating Statistics

A great work space

A temp role for a few months prior to my career break to become a foster carer. The office is based in Hackney central and is convenient to travel on a dally basis. I enjoyed my time in this role.

Lovely people

Great people there. Go for it !!! You will meet all sorts of lively , colourful, different types on a day to day basis. The new IT management though are pretty ruthless in moving forward so expect layoffs.

Pros

Gym subsidy and pension.

Cons

Restructures where everyone almost it seems gets chopped.

Hackney Life - positive

I was fortunate to work in a very good, proactive and friendly team. There was professional and down-to-earth, good humour and I was sorry to leave. I had a good mentor, who taught me all about public lighting and I could use my own initiative with minimum supervision

Pros

the cakes - laugh

gained a lot of experience.

I worked for Hackney for 30 years and gained a lot of experience, meeting and talking to the public face to face and over the phone, met several people in and around hackney at all levels, went through so many restructuring and saw people leave.

Pros

pension

Cons

all together a good experience

i was able to learn what its like in the working place and happy i was given the opportunity . i would go back there if they was to give me a chance and appreciate all the experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London Borough of Hackney. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement