LONDON BOROUGH OF WALTHAM FOREST

LONDON BOROUGH OF WALTHAM FOREST Employee Reviews

I was on a short temporary contract, so not enough time to make a full enough assessment. But in the time I was there, it was very busy and rewarding and I gained good experience in policy scrutiny and campaigning such a short term of employment .
Waltham Forest is an award winning progressive and innovative borough and a great place to live and work due to its rich diversity and the strength of its communities.
A really good place to work. It is fun, exciting, multicultural and enjoyable. People are really nice and willing to help. Colleagues are very professional and understanding.
Staff are overall are nice, but it just depends where you work. Management are not transparent. Work culture is questionable, ive seen the direct/ indirect work place bullying. Managers have scape goat culture Little to no, workplace benefits
They do not value staff or innovative solutions to ongoing problems. Also they do not retain good employees or offer advancement opportunities. I would not recommend working here unless it is local.
Waltham Forest Council has changed dramatically over the past 10 years. It is a much more inclusive place to work, meaning everyone has a part to play in its success.
Typical day at work is fun, busy and always something different. I am always learning something new. Management are supportive and always willing to listen.
Horrid top bosses Talk about people behind their backs "Oh he's a little shxt" about an internal candidate Redundancy letters yearly Promote/ employ who the like not on their job ability. Managers with no experience or understanding of the department they run
Very good place to work, worked here for a few years however decided I need a change. It is for this reason I am looking for a new job. Ok management and good training opportunities
Great people serving the community. A dynamic organisation which has a very community focused outlook staging events within the borough to encourage the partnership with the local community and building trust between both parties
I was a student social worker here and learnt lots of things. I had a good supervisor and the team was so supportive and helpful. Really helped my future career.
Pros
Good support
Cons
No parking
Constant reorganisations and cutbacks along with new management who have no experience of the sections they manage leave stuff under pressure with no support. Middle grades erased, generic job descriptions with no progression.
Pros
Good salary for local work and great leave allowance
Cons
No managerial support
Due to staff restructuring, the work load became heavier for those on the work force. There were targets, deadlines to be met. I believed the emphasis were on the quantity of work rather than the quality of work. Staff became demoralised, anxious, tierd in some cases depressed. Learned about the guidelines, legislation changes
Pros
The water fountain outside was therapeutic
Cons
Staff did not feel appreciated.
Well organised, access to information. Provide training opportunities and is very diverse and multi-cultural environment. Dedicated workers providing equal opportunities and having a good working relationship with client, service users and colleagues. Great management who also look out for your well-being and safeguarding aspects of your daily task. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you help someone in-need and direct them to the right resources and also full-fill your daily task on-time which is rewarding. The hardest part of a job - if one cannot meet their expected deadline and provide what is required to the highest standard, this can be frustrating and therefore, one will need to work overtime.
Pros
free tea and coffee
Cons
sometimes overworking without taking a lunch break
The work attitude excellent. Staff has a commitment to assist and help public, the desire to help citizen has always seen a third top priority. It had 360 degree staff review structure to reflect work relationship between different level of staff performance.
Pros
Good work environment, management style is clear.
Cons
Financial cut back had affected service delivery.
Not everyday was the same as most days are quiet but on the odd occasion, when it gets busy it is very fulfilling when getting work done. It is quite restricting as there is only so much you can do and there is no real avenue for growth within the organisation. It is a very dull and grey atmosphere with very few chances of progressing further.
The Business Support Team are a very dedicated hard working department, always thinking on your feet and working together. I was only temporary so no flexi time but permanent positions offer the flexibility.
Pros
Beautiful building
Cons
procedures
Great committed people work at LBWF unfortunately continual restructuring due to government cuts, leaves staff feeling uncertain if their job are safe each and every few months. No reflection on the Council as financially their hands are tied.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Constant government cuts
Over the years I have made good work colleagues which made for a happy work environment and good team work. There was access to limited but quality training . Restructuring over the last four years have resulted in two reallocations of jobs. I found this challenging but exciting.My manager for my last post before I was made redundant gave me great support encouragement and good supervision.Which enabled me to take on new challenges.
Pros
work was local
Cons
pay could be better
review jobs sheet for the day and any special requirements made by residents and prepare van with stock needed. I learned about different cultures and religions. There is a close connections between departments and regular appraisals. The hardest part of the job was the demands if a colleague was sick and the most enjoyable part is working independently
Pros
Flexible working hours
While working at LBWF on various department i have learn about data protection act, customer service, how to manage my own work load, organised files on the computer, how to deal with people from different culture and background. the hardest part of the job was haven't to correct sometimes others peoples mistake. the most enjoyable part of the work was dealing with difficult customer over the telephone and resolve hes/her quires efficient and with positive results.