London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom20 reviews

Solid pandemic job

It was covid times, so I just worked from home. They let me get on with it and just checked in where necessary. Not overbearing or demanding. Good people.

Exciting place to work

The London School of Hygiene is a prestigious, reputable medical university that brings together the best teaching staff and students from around the world. I loved getting to know and photographing staff and students and the occasional VIPs that came to visit. I learned how to communicate with people from all backgrounds and different levels of seniority.I had the best digital equipment to work with which was regularly upgraded to new equipment I was able to choose. The work culture was generally quite relaxed. However, in my role as the photographer photos had to be turned around very quickly so for me it was often fast paced. I did enjoy that and learned how to juggle/prioritise various tasks. I was given time off in lieu if I had to stay longer hours. During my time the LSHTM underwent various restructurings which meant being part of new teams and changing managers a few times. This was great because I was able to work on different projects, have slightly different priorities and work with different teams. All my managers were fair and gave me the freedom to manage my workload as I saw fit. Each years there was a performance review which was easy and efficient.The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I met along the way, some of whom I am still friends with.

Insights into London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Relaxed and fun

My work was manual and done when there were not many people in the office. I did not interact with university personnel too much. The atmosphere seemed quiet.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Not well paid

Poor line Management

School overall is good but some line management strategies need to be revaluated. Excellent training opportunities available - hopefully you'll get a good line manager who is supportive.

good

It is good to work at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I did there a master in public health for developing countries and now i work there.

Interesting and varied

Interesting and varied work, involving contact with lots of different people. Ability to learn new skills like communication, teamwork, presentation skills and report writing.

Pros

International organisation

Cons

N/a

Interactive and challenging

Arrived on time to organise time for research and development of a presentation on a given medical-related topic in groups. Engaged and interacted with a diverse range of professionals and researchers.

Pros

Interactive

Cons

Time management

Very good place to work

A vibrant research community that provides flexibility to work and allows creativity too. I was lucky to have had an excellent line manager who was very interested in my career progression and provided a conducive working environment for all.

Pros

A vibrant research community, more like a family. Excellent work-life balance with flexibility of work

Cons

Job insecurity, runs mostly on research grants, younger scientists are constantly panicking about the next stage.

Productive Workplace

I worked temporarily in a project to clean and organised the dataset with registration of Dengue epidemic. Excellent opportunity to build my data analysis skill. Great environment.

Excellent

This is one of the most excellent places to work if you are into tropical diseases without having to even travel to a tropical country. They work with many countries ad the WHO to find treatment, cures and preventative medicine.

Productive and fun workplace

An amazing place to work at as there are many people with different backgrounds. Very friendly environment. Pay is well paid and recognised for your work.

Fun and flexible place to work

Was lucky to have a great boss who was supportive of my growth and learning. I wanted to move to industry therefore made the transition out. The school environment is rigorous compared to others in the area and its reputation in the UK is superb.

Pros

Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Management bureaucratic

academic and challenging

Working in academia I am finding the environment conducive to learning and I am enjoying the interaction with my colleagues who contribute to my learning and progress by holding deep scientific discussions. A workday is long but work is entirely enjoyable. The aspect of gaining further understanding is the best part of the job. The commuting for this job s the worst part.

Pros

learning

Cons

commuting

One of the leading schools for MPH training

LSH&TM has some of the leading Public Health professionals in the world, and a student body from all continents and backgrounds. Together this contributes to an outstanding education

Evolving and hard working

Hard working and inspirational environment. A close community of hard workers and ambition. My ambition to work towards improving population health has started from working with this company.

Great Experience

We had started our day by taking in what the postgraduate school had to offer. We had time to go into their labs and get a first hand look into the biology of cells and viruses. We had also been given a task and deadline to research any topic in science and present if to a large group of scientists and other student from the school.

Pros

Traveling into london everyday

Learning new things in the world of public health

A typical day at work involves making sure every aspect of my job is done correctly and efficiently but there is also room to learn about the history of the school.

An Exceptional Institution

- Wonderful classmates - Well respected professors - Helpful administration

Challenging Environment

The buildings are a mix of old listed buildings and brand new office blocks. The science of research requires the facilities to be at the top level and this places many demands on the estate team. No two days are the same and we are constantly fire fightiong to achieve the goals. There is however still a great deal of long term planning and strategic decisions to be My team are all very dedicated professionals who enjoy the challenge of providing first class research facilities. Many of them have been employed in the school for a several years and still have enthusiasm for their roles. It is a great place to work

Pros

Full people who are dedicated to bettering the standard of research into medical challenges

Cons

Working in Central London

Great place with amazing amount of time off

Was left to work unsupervised and manage my day accordingly Learned to manage time well, multi-task and keep up with vast amounts of information and responsibility Management was brilliant! The professors were professional and courteous. I was treated as an equal, not as the 'hired help'. Coworkers were great - always quick to lend a hand if stuck on a project Being in 5 places at one time! Meeting people from various countries and learning about different cultures. Being treated as an equal really goes a long way

Pros

42 days off per year

Cons

None, really

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement