London South Bank University
Happiness score is 72 out of 100

London South Bank University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom97 reviews

universitysouthcolleaguestudentbanksupportivesupportfriendly

Good place to work with its ups and downs

The place is really good to work at what I dont like is the management. They give you false control over stuff and then try to puppeteer you. If you don't bite then they wont move forward with you.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Management Office politics

Friendly team environment

A very supportive team and management who looks after one's mental health and wellbeing. The job role can be challenging but the support structure in place makes the job interesting and enjoying

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

Insights into London South Bank University

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Energising work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility

Good place to settle into

I would say i enjoyed my time there- they do pay a bit under the market rate for London universities - but the benefits and flexibility makes up for it.The environment is really friendly and they offer lots of staff training, you do have a sense of job security and you are kept well informed.

Overworked and underpaid and micro management system

Overworked and underpaid in the department I worked in. The attitude of the manager didn't help neither. Despite working from home during lockdown my probation was extended. That's when I knew something fishy was going on. My department was a nightmare to work in. My colleague and manager were both a nightmare. Be expected to be spoken to harshly and micro managed if you work as a security support officer. One thing I have noticed is that working there will open up a world of opportunities for you to develop your career.However, I saw that other people in other department really enjoy working there.

Pros

Development opportunities

Cons

Your department may not be so nice to work in.

Perfect place for work. Very lovely people! Enjoyed my internship there very much and would definitely recommend this place for studying and meeting very resourceful people!

Pros

Wonderful People

Great to work here

It was great to work here, managers were friendly and always supportive in completing the project and gave instructions on the day of how to do the project so it was easy to understand in using the system and uploading documents to complete the project, because of my IT skills, it was easy to adjust to new system so this helped in completing the project.

Pros

Cons

No everything is good

Challenging, busy but enjoyable workplace

A driven organisation that struggled to cope with having to treat students as customers following the increase in tuition fees. As such, too many endeavours and strategies were attempted in too short space of time, resulting in an impact on work life balances, stresses and high turnover of staff. Regardless, i loved what i do so it was not as impactful as it was on newer members of staff

Student Ambasssador

It was a good experience working as a student ambassador as i get to know more people from different background and culture.I worked in the international office

Great place

London south bank university is a great place to work, my three months of working there was great, got to work with a lot of people in different departments.

Exam Invigilator

Nice People to work with. There should be a canteen near the base rooms for the invigilators to use so that they can make their tea and coffee, and also facilities for them to make their lunch. It would be nice to be able to do more hours on the day.

A poorly run instution with little genuine vision for the future workforce or student body.

Excellent immediate colleagues - supportive and kind. The Senior Executive has no idea of how the workforce or students actually feel. Line Managers being promoted should have training in how to cope with their own stress and management techniques. An institution providing a facility to those students who might not otherwise have had the opportunity of a tertiary education, but which is poorly led and money-driven, with very weak students (academically) being afforded access with no additional help provided. I left with a very negative opinion of LSBU.

Pros

Very decent immediate colleagues and a sense of comraderie.

Cons

Too many to list...

Not for everyone

There is a universal issue with management at LSBU that makes it difficult to interpret the aims and objectives of the organisation and therefore how to direct your role

Great Place to work

I have gained massive experience from there and people are so friendly. I loved working there as I have made lot of friends. I have undertaken all IT issues that students and staff face dairly.

A very good and inclusive organisation to work for

A very good organisation to work for. An organisation which is inclusive and employee friendly. I could not recommend London Southbank University high enough

Fun place to work

Supportive colleagues and friendly. My task was to audit historical data collected against new datasets, comfortable working space. Busy location and good canteen service.

Good collaborative work between staff

However, I enjoyed working at LSBU as I had the support of staff to share ideas with. Lecturing was enjoyable as had variety of students with varied life experiences that helped to make each class session interesting.

good experience in general.

The job was good the (colleagues) were very nice and helpful and managers nice. I undertook different tasks, which allowed me to get some experience.

Pros

Learn new stuff although I was not in the area I was looking for.

Cons

the internship was only 8 weeks and I took too time for me to have access to their system, some routines for days, which made it less productive.

Excellent!

Great experience working for the university with incredible leaders. You have to have commitment to work here and pull in same direction as others. The level of commitment others have in their jobs means you can’t let your colleagues down. Team working is a key part of the organisation and it’s good to get familiar with other departments of the university to ensure successful co-working

Great Learning Experience

It was great to work their I learnt a lot and also contributed a lot in terms of my knowledge. LSBU has made me grow on my skills and provided great training and development for me.

Productive and fun environment

I enjoyed working at south bank university as I felt part of a team. I liked creating a well organised day therefore reducing stress for others, creating a good work home life balance for myself and others around me.

Busy and Enjoyable

LSBU's typical day at work would consist of numerous phone calls and e-mail while attending to customers in front of the house. I would speak and cooperate with students of different backgrounds and qualifications querying about the process of applying and any further course-related enquiries, which was probably the most enjoyable part of the course. You learn how to manage and balance work out, for example, you have cleared the inbox and the phones are not as busy, but we have way monitoring customer service using various software which needed be updated on a daily too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London South Bank University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement