Longs of Leeds

Longs of Leeds Employee Reviews

There is no support from management or directors - there is no training offered even though each customer has it's own unique terms and conditions! When presented with new customers you invariably have to "wing it" until you've taught yourself the ropes
Pros
Wpa
Cons
Lack of support
7 October 2020
It is disappointing that you feel there is no support from management, nor training offered for the role you perform. The individual department managers have responsibility for their team and ensure that any changes in process are communicated to their respective teams. In addition to this, there are procedures in place whereby if employees do not feel able to raise issues with their department manager, it can be raised with the HR Department and/or Senior Management team. If your concerns had been raised with any of those people, then they would certainly be resolved. Please do come and speak to the HR team so we can assist and resolve any issues.
Good people behind you to help you out.could do with higher rate but not too different to others.good equipment and most of all adhere to the rules
Pros
Good people
Cons
Can be long days
Decent trucks variety of work so don't get bored, tendency to run you out of hours by sending you down road at 12+ hours .
Pros
Trucks good
Cons
Bad planning
Stay clear thay come across as a good place to work but are definitely not. There is a lot better places to work even if you are a new driver stay clear. The pay is not what thay say unless you do 80 hours a week.
Pros
Cons
Long hours have you doing other work
17 November 2020
Sorry to hear that you felt this way whilst working for us. We will always try and address any concerns if and when any are raised with us. We feel that we do treat the drivers fairly, as well as paying a fair wage and allowances. All pay rates are made clear both before, during and after the interview so the comment regarding 80 hours is not really a valid point. We provide paid parking and ensure that all drivers take the appropriate breaks, rest days and annual leave. We ask that staff adhere to several policies and procedures to ensure their own safety. Perhaps if you feel that more could be done, then please send an email to the HR Team and if appropriate, we can address the issues raised.
Great place to work staff ok work not stressful.good pay left because tramping is not for me. Wagons was always well looked after cared about the work force.
7 October 2020
Thank you for the positive feedback! We do try to look after both the drivers as well as the trucks, another reason why we always ensure we have secure, paid parking for the drivers.
Just another transport company that don't care about their employees and more about their own private plated jags and range rovers. Just a shame they don't care enough to treat there drivers right.
7 October 2020
Sorry to hear that you felt this way whilst working for us. We will always try and address any concerns if and when any are raised with us. We feel that we do treat the drivers right, we pay a fair wage and allowances, provide paid parking and ensure that all drivers take the appropriate breaks, rest days and annual leave. We ask that staff adhere to several policies and procedures to ensure their own safety. Perhaps if you feel that more could be done, then please send an email to the HR Team and if appropriate, we can address the issues raised.
Was a tramper and every week got infringements on my tacho on average between 60-75 hours a week. If you are single and love working it is awesome. However if your face does not fit just stick with your particular role and you will get a warning then you are out. They are more concerned with how much fuel you use and the truck conditions than they are with you. Everything must be clean and your interior must match the truck. Yeah...not going to go there. Thankful that they ended my contract as 8.65 per hour for both class 2 and class 1 driving roles. People elsewhere will pay more. It is great for absolute newbies to the job to get experience but for anyone else. Stay clear.
7 October 2020
We're sorry to hear that you were not happy whilst working for us here at Longs. To address the issues you raise, any tachograph infringements are a drivers' responsibility, it is your licence and entirely up to you as a driver to make sure you stay within the legal constraints. If you ever felt that you were being asked to go over the legal limits, then this should have been raised with the Transport Manager and/or Compliance Manager at the time so that they could take a look at the work being planned for you to ensure that you stayed within your legally allowed time. We do not feel it is unreasonable to ask that the interior of trucks are kept clean and tidy, particularly where they are used during the day by one driver and through the night by another. We take pride in our fleet, and like to think that our drivers also take pride in keeping their workspace clean and hygienic. We take the health and safety of all employees seriously and if someone is leaving rubbish inside of a cab, then that's really not being considerate to his/her colleagues who are having to use the vehicle next. Turning now to pay rates, these are not current rates and nor were they rates for Class 1 driving roles during recent times. We do feel that we pay a fair wage, on a par with other general haulage businesses like ourselves. Agency rates are obviously different due to the varying pay models on offer, but we have in excess of 100 drivers who are happy and proud to be working for Longs of Leeds.
The job was advertised as a tramping job. You would be lucky to be out for 3 nights. You are treated as a second rate person, who does not know what you're on about. You are not in control of your hours when it is your license and tacho card. I could give examples, but that would include personally identifiable information.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Longs Hours, Treatment By Management
Terrible company to work for planned for 15hr day’s Advertised as a tramping role you will find yourself back at their yard most days of the week around 7 and expected to take a nine off If you do get the odd night out you will be loading out of Widnes between 3-4 pm for next day multi drop delivery’s to London. So if you like going away on a Thursday and struggling to get back on a Friday with a back load Wages are dire 50p above minimum wage and will rise when minimum wage does Job security is good tho as they struggle to keep drivers
Pros
Leaving
Cons
No Xmas bonus and overtime after 50 hrs
Long hours if your face does not fit in traffic office you get long hours rubbish jobs if you are an experienced driver they dump on you every day.the traffic office want full control of your driving hours where you park and when you finish if your skilled at driving and experienced stay well clear.you will be abused to the point of breaking.carrying all the lazy blue eyed boys and girls.traffic office treat and speak to you like dirt.they have started taking on new drivers so they can control them better than experienced drivers.new drivers are tied to 12 to18 month contracs if they leave they have to pay a lot of money to leave the company.i know new drivers that are suicidal because they are tied to contracs and cant afford to leave. Management are manipulating controlling bullies if you stand up to them your out thank got i got out this is the worst haulage company ive worked at in my 20 year career stay away guys death would be nicer than working here pure punishment
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Cant thin of any it is that bad
As a company Longs of Leeds is a good place to get a foot in the door if you want a career in transport, willing to employ new and experienced driver and in the traffic office a good number of their staff are ex drivers.
Pros
Friendly and helpful staff
Cons
I used to get up at 4am every morning drive to work . it would only take 10 minutes to get there. I used to pick the paper work up then go to my vehicle to start my checks once done then I would pick my trailer up then make may journey to where I needed to go any where in the country .
Pros
good training package
Cons
they was rushing unexperancied drivers
I was a delivery driver for a family business. Class 2 deliveries nationwide overnight stay were part of the job role. I only left as I found alternative employment
I will not like to work at Longs again. I didn't like the way of threating drivers. And again very long shift. Too early morning start and late finish.
Pros
Nothing free
Cons
Very long hours
  1. Employee reviews