Work wellbeing score is 65 out of 100

Manager7 reviews
United Kingdom7 reviews

aheadsupportheadstaffturnoverchallengeservicesalary

Great for career progression

I worked for LACS for a total of 8 years and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I started as a support worker, then specialist, then team leader and then manager in a variety of different services across London. I had some fantastic colleagues and some staff who went over and beyond, who really did work exceptionally hard, while I inherited some poor staff. A big issue is that you end up stuck with poor performers because the HR process was so difficult to get rid of them.

Pros

‘Some’ wonderful staff

Cons

Working 60+ hours due to complexes of service.

A challenging work environment

I've been with the company for 7 years or so, and while I've had the privilege of working under maybe one or two fantastic managers, my overall experience has been marred by a few persistent issues.One of the biggest concerns is the lack of cohesion among Senior Management and head office. It often feels like they operate as lone wolves, making it challenging to collaborate effectively and get the support one needs. Transparency is also a significant issue. Many decisions made by head office seem to lack clarity and rationale, leaving managers and support workers in the dark.Furthermore, it's disheartening to witness the apparent discrepancy in treatment between different departments. It feels like those of us in Operations are often left to fend for ourselves. If people in Operations worked the way people in HR or Finance work, they’d be fired This lack of consistency in standards is demoralizing.One of the most frustrating aspects of my time here has been the need to constantly chase after things. Whether it's information, resources, or support, I've found myself repeatedly taking the initiative because it doesn't seem readily available.Lastly, the absence of emotional support is a notable issue. A supportive workplace should not only focus on tasks and deadlines but also on the well-being of its employees. Unfortunately, I've experienced a lack of this essential support during my time here. I’ve not had my line-manager have a conversation not related to deadlines with me in over a year.In conclusion, my experience with the company has been a challenging one due -

Pros

Customers

Cons

Lack of transparency, communication, support, pay

Insights into Look Ahead Care And Support

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job

Great organisation, with opportunity for movement and growth internally.

Lots of available in and external. Opportunity for growth and development. 1-1 supervision regually. Opportunity for movement within the organisation.

Pros

Opportunity to move up the ladder with internal movement

Cons

Sometimes bad management collusion.

Team and clients are what makes it count

Staff work really hard- sadly it's not reflect in their salary.Burn out and turnover is extremely high in this organization.The company very much runs like a business, and the people at the top don't seem to understand the challenges most services face- they try to make changes but without understanding the support workers roles and the needs of clients- their changes are half-hearted, impulsive temporary attempts to fix. A real shame, the organization seemed to start to only acknowledge a tiny bit staff's work on the front line when the pandemic started. The organization could learn a lot from it's competitors including managing COVID-19 in services. Heavy reliance based on managers of services to know what to do during the pandemic.

Pros

the team and the clients we support

Cons

Lack of staff development and essential training opportunities for their roles

Fix up or Go home Look Ahead

Anything I have learnt, I have learnt myself and from my contract manager. There is no significant training available for support workers or managers around important front line experiences such as ; de-escalation, finances, managing teams, conflict resolution, not even around drug and alcohol awareness, extremely concerning I could go on. The same trainings are regurgitated every year. This company lacks vision, creativity, understanding, compassion and innovation. Look Ahead (well the Seniors sitting in HQ) doesn't understand or doesn't seem to actually care about the impact staff turnover has on the overall running of services, and most importantly, the impact this has on our clients. This issue has been going on for years, no active interest from seniors at Head Office who can push to make something happen. Clearly don't care due to their lovely salaries. Support workers roughly spend one year and a half, in services, and often recognize the grass is greener else where and leave where there are much more development opportunities, higher salaries and where there is more investment in staff, who can blame them, I can't. There is never any support from HQ around serious incidents in services, they don't even seem to have an independent team who investigate matters arising in services, let alone a support team, unbelievable, considering how big the organization is. Myself and the staff are directly involved in the production line of Look Ahead Care and support and this is a business need and something that should be carefully considered. It gets tiring -

Pros

My staff and clients

Cons

Long Hours, clueless Head Office, gaps in training provision

Awful Experience at Manager Level

I learnt very quickly that the way to the top in this company is to be compliant and agree with the SMT. However, this would involve leaving your morals and convictions at home. What incensed me the most and ultimately my reason for leaving was the decision to end the customer life skills budget which enabled independence and ownership of the services. How a company that made so much surplus from local authority grant funding could bank the profits and leave customers trapped in dependence was beyond me. But then it soon became clear that the rental for the head offices in Westminster and the executive bonuses were due.

Pros

Great Support Workers

Cons

Clueless Leadership compounded by poor decisions

Ethically & morally bankrupt leadership

Front line staff desperatly trying to do their best despite senior managers cutting service user budgets whilst at the same time awarding themselves executive bonuses. If you smile and keep quiet you will go a long way in this company. Blame culture. Plush head office in Westminster where senior managers have separated themselves from the lower classes. All this whilst front line staff work in appaling offices with very poor facilities such as outdated IT eqpt. Shocking central services, particularly HR with a 100% staff turnover. Consistent restructures which last 6 months maximum. Absolutely clueless Directors who are out of touch with the realities of staff workload hence massive front line staff turnover. It really is awful, this list could continue. Senior team Moto is 'smile and wave boys, smile and wave'. Madagascar.

Pros

You get to go home

Cons

You have to go back

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Look Ahead Care And Support. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Look Ahead Care And Support with

• Look Ahead Care And Support
  • Manager
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?