Look Ahead Care And Support

Look Ahead Care And Support Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
2.7Pay & benefits

Busy and fun at times

It is alright place to work, this usually depends on the service. There are challenges like sometimes been under staffed which makes the job that much harder. The pay is very poor compare to the workload and the kind of client group we have to deal with.

Pros

Free food

Cons

poor management

Team and clients are what makes it count

Staff work really hard- sadly it's not reflect in their salary.Burn out and turnover is extremely high in this organization.The company very much runs like a business, and the people at the top don't seem to understand the challenges most services face- they try to make changes but without understanding the support workers roles and the needs of clients- their changes are half-hearted, impulsive temporary attempts to fix. A real shame, the organization seemed to start to only acknowledge a tiny bit staff's work on the front line when the pandemic started. The organization could learn a lot from it's competitors including managing COVID-19 in services. Heavy reliance based on managers of services to know what to do during the pandemic.

Pros

the team and the clients we support

Cons

Lack of staff development and essential training opportunities for their roles

Lots of opportunities

I’ve worked at Look Ahead for almost 2 years, during this time I’ve had lots of training and opportunities to learn on the job too. There is also a lot of opportunity to move up the ladder. I started off as a support worker, then specialist and now a team leader. My advice to those thinking of joining would be, make sure you’re resilient! It’s a hard but very rewarding job.

Pros

Training

Cons

Salary

stressful but productive.

As I am working with young at risk adults, who have either been in care or been declared homeless, it can be stressful when supporting them in finding accommodation, employment or education. I have developed my skills in finding the appropriate benefits available to my customer's and I have been successful in helping some of them find the own accommodation and employment. Also within 6 months of being employed i have been promoted to a Specialist Support Worker.

Self Serving Sycophants

This is a company that loves to tick boxes especially when there is a external audit looming. Look Ahead carry out staff surveys and are perplexed as to why they fare so poorly every time. The simple reason is that the leadership do not listen to staff and carry on regardless of the feedback received. There are 2 directorates affectionally known as the Bullying (Care) and Dull (Support) directorates - self explanatory. The directorates are supported by a Heads of Operations Team that really are glorified secretaries to separate the Directors from the lower ranks of unhappy staff The Heads of operations Team look completely lost, contribute nothing and are petrified to challenge their superiors even though their direct reports suffer in the process. The HR team are clueless and CM's have to deal with most HR issues whilst the Business Partners support the directors. The Senior Team separate themselves from the lower classes in a separate part of the building with the best facilities, technology and furniture whilst bleating on about us all being valued the same. The Heads of Departments at Head Office are aloof and removed from front line staff and you are lucky to get a response to your queries unless of course you cc their manager in then they get back to you very quickly. The staff turnover in this place is shocking mostly caused by low salaries for front line staff and adding to staff stress and anxiety which results in massive levels of sickness. The senior teams strategic response to this is to award a 1.5% increase to the lowest paid staff WHO ARE ON £19000 AND -

Pros

Salary is always paid on 25th (even if not correct)

Cons

Senior Leadership & Management Teams

Overworked and underpaid

The best thing about the company is the people that work there, they are really friendly and helpful. They don't pay very well or appreciate anyone going above and beyond.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

low pay

1 of the best places i have ever worked

I really enjoy working for look ahead care and support. I have an excellent team and also management is great. They are extremely supportive as my job role within working with Vulnerable women with complex needs can be very demanding. I am so grateful for the experience and training that I have gained and if I do get another job that pays me a more I will be really sad to leave :-(

Pros

Alot of training and support from my team and management

Cons

No cons apart from wanting a higher salary as the work we do is very intense

Lacking in Leadership

I started at Look Ahead with high optimism about a company that used to be featured in the top 100 small companies to work for. It soon became clear that I joined just as things were on the decline and the demise of this company has gathered momentum especially since 2015. Here is why: loss of apparently secure contracts, massive turnover of central staff, shockingly poor HR department, Constant restructuring at Operations manager level, vision-less leadership, salary cuts to lowest paid staff despite awarding executive bonuses to the highest paid, decimation of the customers life skills budget, maintenance overspend, disconnect between directors and managers, low morale (see staff survey results), leadership team not living the values of the company, reduction in staffing, reduction in contracts, redundancies, poor (inexcusable) IT systems for front line support staff, separation between directors and lower level managers at head offices, incompetent and inefficient central services, complete loss of data in HR i.e references and DBS dates (enabling uncleared staff to work with out of date checks), massive overspend in central budgets. Need I say more?

Pros

unsure

Cons

Really poor leadership

it is a social BUSINESS

I think it is important to not forget that it is a business! It is a business that is not for profit but not for loss either. In my experience with Look Ahead I felt that the frontline staff that have to work in sometimes very challenging conditions with antisocial hours with little funding for improving the services, for the service users and for the staff. Also the salary for the support workers was not fair if according to the job they do. For example, staff that worked with a less challenging client group, such as floating support received the same pay as a support worker working in a 24 hour hostel with challenging, at times aggressive clients who experienced drug and alcohol dependency. Also in terms of quality of the service such at team spirit, management, job advancement varied greatly across different projects and boroughs. Therefore your experience with Look Ahead would strongly depend on the particular service you are working in. The key advantage for working for Look Ahead is that the Head Office does offer various training opportunities, which are engaging and beneficial for the front line staff.

Pros

Training

Cons

Poor work-life balance, salary not representative of the challenges involved

Very poor wages.

Like any job it comes with pros and cons but the problem with Look ahead are the wages, staff turnover is very high due to the cost of London living. Having to work shifts and travelling are also a turn off. Client group very demanding and not a day went by without a incident.

Pros

Opportunities for promotion.

Cons

Salary extremely dismal for London.

Jobs at Look Ahead Care And Support

See more jobs

Wonderful customers, new management has no experience of working in the field of Mental Health

I have supported customers in their own homes for the last 6 years. These customers comprise of people with mental health issues, domestic violence, ex-offenders, people with all kinds of addictions and learning difficulties. I have really enjoyed this work and with working with my colleague. The job is so very varied it's impossible to say which is the hardest part, but the most enjoyable part is when a customer succeeds and goes on to live in Independent Living. The main duties are to ensure that all income is maximised through benefits, to act as an advocate with Housing Associations, the Mental Health Service, GP's, Social Services, the DWP, creditors of the Customer and any other body necessary for the individual customer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Look Ahead Care And Support. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement