Lordswood Boys School

Lordswood Boys School Employee Reviews

2.8
Work-life balance

Ok

It is OK. The workload is high, the students are challenging, management is a mine field that you have to learn to navigate, but my job is rewarding. There is a high number of students who have come to England from other countries and seeing them learn and progress is enjoyable. I can see why lots of people have left as members of SLT are hard to deal with, tell lies to your face, take credit for others work and can be really difficult to speak to. If you can learn to ignore the many negatives and focus on the rewarding aspects then you can survive here.

Pros

Rewarding, nice and supportive staff, challenging

Cons

Can be stressful, heavy workload, management has poor people skills

Not every school is for every one

I could just be a bitter ex-employee or this school could have serious faults. Maybe you have to work there to find out for yourself and make your own judgement? At first I didn't believe the things I was hearing about this school and had a really positive interview experience and first few weeks there, but the issues soon started to reveal themselves. I've never worked in a place like it. SLT seem to think they are untouchable and refuse to acknowledge that there are problems with their style of management. If you attempt to speak to any one about how you are feeling you are told that not every school is for every one and certain things have to be done to improve a school, but their approach goes far beyond high standards. For the record, I've worked in outstanding schools and they have managed this without running their staff into the ground, making derogatory comments or generally creating a poor working environment. Alarm bells should ring for anyone considering applying when SLT have to use their own family to prop up departments. I love being an educator and seeing students thrive and learn to love a subject, but this place made me completely reconsider my entire career to the point that I've now left it.

Cons

Bullying culture, poor management

Stressful and unsupportive

I am sure you could find some people who enjoy this kind of environment but given that staff turn over is incredibly high, I would say most don't. During my time there, a significant number of staff left and I know that more have gone since. They would quite literally disappear overnight which meant excessive cover and students who lacked faith in you and expected you to leave almost as soon as you arrived. You can't speak to any one about problems as leadership is unapproachable and refuses to acknowledge glaring issues. Teaching in this school is almost overwhelming. The data and administration that you are expected to carry out alongside your role makes the work load essentially unmanageable. I frequently worked from 6am until past midnight and was encouraged to answer emails that arrived in my inbox during the night and on weekends. No matter how much time or energy I gave this job, it just didn't seem enough and work life balance is poor at best. If you try and ask for any support then you are criticised for needing it. Even if you need assistance with student behaviour then you cannot ask for help because they have a no referral culture which basically means you get zero help at all times. Communication between leadership and staff is incredibly poor and some emails sent can come across as rude. Students are complex and it really isn't their fault that their behaviour is so poor as leadership fails to understand them. Initially I thought that this school looked great and the salary and opportunity to teach in a improving school was attractive, but the reality is far different -

Avoid

I am sure there are some who could say that this school is a good place to work, but I think it takes a certain type of person to enjoy working in such a toxic environment. During the few short months I worked there, I found the place to be a nightmare. I was even warned on my first day by an existing member of staff to make sure I had a union membership as I was likely to need it. Multiple members of staff leave during each term and I can't say I blame them. Unethical practices are encouraged and you receive little to no support when dealing with what can only be described as feral children.

Pros

Salary, some staff are supportive, new school

Cons

Management is toxic, stressful, high workload, poor behaviour from students, no support

Transformational

Lordswood Boys’ School is a great place to work. The staff are very supportive and work together to ensure they get the very best outcomes for the students. It is fast paced and each day brings new positive challenges. No one is left behind and students are supported with their literacy. The school is very data driven ensuring that there is impact with everything they do. If you like transforming children’s lives and are prepared to work hard you will love working at LBS.

Pros

Rewarding effort from students

Top performing and rewarding

Teaching core subjects you get to meet all students and they are a pleasure to work with. The school has changed significantly during my time here and it is all for the best. You should experience the culture before making any judgements. I have nothing but positive and healthy experiences here and I know this is the same for others that work at the school.The new school building is amazing and the thinking behind all of the extra curricular resources and activities is second to none.

Pros

Competitive salaries, clean and respected environments, supportive colleagues.

Standards are everything

They have very high standards which is refreshing to see in education. There are some teachers and support staff that would find this difficult to accept and choose to air these opinions here. For the record, I disagree with them all and advise you to talk to the staff that work here rather than listen to bitter ex-employees. The school is successful and very well led. Leaders and staff are supportive and innovative in their thinking whilst supporting and transforming the lives of the students.

Pros

supportive leaders and staff

Toxic, unethical and immoral

This place is poisonous. The toxicity comes right from the top with leaders who lack expertise, intelligence and, most importantly, moral fibre. Staff turnover is ridiculous; shouting at students is encouraged and unethical practice occurs at every turn. Sycophanticism is encouraged and probably the only way to be 'successful'.

Pros

Decent salaries and lovely (main) staff body

Cons

Ineptitude and lack of ethics at the top

Productive workplace

Lordswood Boys' School is transforming the lives of young men. This is a great school with serious motivation to improve the educational experiences of all the students that attend.

Pros

Supportive staff and leadership team

Stressful with Micromanaging Management

The management at this school are utterly impossible to have a healthy working relationship with. They micromanage every part of your job, have working practices that are in breach of just about every union guideline, expect a ridiculous amount of additional administration on top of all other duties. There is a significant amount of workplace bullying and there is a VERY high staff turnover - avoid at all costs.

Pros

Nice new building

Cons

Bullying culture

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Lordswood Boys School?

Disgraceful place

A total farce working there, the SMT are out of control, the staff were/are constant harassed and made to feel inadequate at every possible opportunity. Unless there are root and branch changes the place will continue to fail the boys. They go on and on about literacy and it's importance but fail to invest in any way that suggests they care. All they care about is data and they fiddle the figures to show themselves in a positive light. Appalling, appalling place.

Pros

None. (Except I'm not there any more).

Cons

Everything.

Steer well clear!!

PLEASE - take my advice and stay well clear of this school, you will regret working there in a very short time. Management will do the dirty on you and you will receive no support at all.

Poor management, feral kids

SLT do not support or help lower level staff, children are poorly behaved and there is no behaviour management structure in place. SLT will rather back students than their staff. The only good thing about this place is that they pay well, but I suppose they need to to attract staff to come work for a terrible school with paper promises.

Excellent

Excellent time and fun workplace. Staff were Excellent and kept challenging me to progress in a demanding work environment.. Gained valuable presentation and communication skills.

Atrocious Leadership, unless your face fits

I am sure that if you suck up to the right people, this could be the job for you. There are some genuinely nice and decent people there but management is total rubbish. That’s from the top down, where deitylike status is expected or you won’t last long, to a Head that basically will do nothing to help you, all the way to Senior Leadership that in part are disgusting, to creepy P.E staff that smell how far they crawl up. Pupils can be challenging but that’s school life. Staff get told how rubbish they are very often, which is a joke considering the management. Safeguarding is virtually nonexistent, I would be most concerned if I were a parent. Unless many things change, the school won’t, I wish all applications well. Good luck!!!!! You’ll need it!!!!

Pros

Some staff are truly lovely, seek them out

Cons

Rubbish leadership, lack of respect, rudeness, assault on your person

Strong leadership

Under strong leadership, pupils and staff worked hard to achieve good results and contribute to the life of the school community. Library resources were provided at an acceptable level.

Productive and fun Place to work

Every Day is different at Lordswood, working in a calm and peaceful environment where everyone works in Harmony unlike other institutes, the staff and pupils are every respectful and everyone goes out of their way to help each other

Pros

School Holidays

A typical work day

I commence working from 7:45 or 8.05 am depending on the school week, some of the mornings I have to attend staff or house meetings. Some of my days I work until 7 or 8pm to mark the students books or prepare for the next day. The school time table is divided into week 1 and week 2, some of the groups I have on week 1 is not the same groups I teaches on week 2. As my tutor group is my main teaching room it is easier to prepare in the mornings for my lessons. I would print off anything I will need during the course of the day if required; most times I prepared from the day before. The first thing in the mornings are to arrange my class and put the books on the desks for the first lesson. I then prepares all the books and resources for the remaining lessons of the day. Then it will be form time, I greet all my students at the door check their uniforms and then ask them to put out their equipment and planners on their desks for a thorough check. I will also complete the register in that time frame. Then I would have a discussion topic I chose to share with the boys; while some are then sent to their year assembly. Then the bell would then go for the first period, I would now dismiss my tutees and then wait at the door for my first group. Lesson would commence with a starter I would either meet the boys at the door and hand them individual sheets or write it on the board. When they all complete the tasks we would then have a discussion and then share the objectives for the lesson and then group discussion on the starter. We would then recap and commence our lesson, depending -