Lounges

Lounges Employee Reviews

Lovely friendly workforce and relaxed with uniform, you are allowed to express yourself which I think is amazing. Had good safety and PPE in place when the first covid lockdown hit however when the lockdown was lifted my job was taken from me due to me having to get another job during lockdown so I could afford to live. My manager was unforgiving and threw me to the dirt. I was upset as I enjoyed working there and wanted to return. Unfortunately it wasn't dealt with very professionally I was "let go" via WhatsApp. No P45 sent either, disappointing as I thought it was a professional and engaging company whilst we were on furlough.
Pros
Own clothes at work, chilled environment, fastpaced, never boring, nice customers, good team.
Cons
Split shifts, Poor communication, unprofessional dissmisal during pandemic.
The company prides itself on being Loungey and being fun. It is a complete show. Ops managers are despicable and you're regularly stabbed in the back
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
awful ops managers, constant lies... the list goes on
Loungers is a phenomenal company to work for, as a General Manager you have so much freedom to do things your way! Obviously you have to stick to some form of code of conduct but other than that it’s basically your site! The company has gone through an unprecedented time this year along with many others but I have never felt mor security in a job before! The operations manager is a cut above the rest and really makes sure that you feel supported! Obviously it’s a little stressful at times but what job isn’t! I couldn’t recommend this company enough especially those looking to progress
Pros
Free meals, great progression, good rate of pay, job security, bonus scheme, training
Cons
Work life balance for me but I’m a workaholic
Very confusing place, upper management don’t know what each other are doing, one will tell you one thing and the other a completely different thing. Staff handbooks say one thing ops tell you completely different.
18 November 2020
Thanks for your review and I’m sorry to hear that you found your experience confusing, we have investigated further and we did take an early stance on a policy of mask wearing in our kitchens believing it was the right thing to do around a month before this became legislation. A few team members queried us going beyond government guidance, however we continue to stand behind this early decision. Yes there is some small contradiction now between handbooks and the Covid SOPs, we have however been clear that the Covid SOPs eclipse the older materials. Stay well, Caryn.
17 November 2020
Sorry to hear that maybe communication was a bit muddled with your time with us. Please feel free to contact us at thevoice@loungers.co to discuss further.
Hours were terrible, no real training given. Management didn't seem to care about staff at all just about how much money the kitchen was making. The overall culture in the kitchen was toxic and anti social due to how stressed everybody was.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no life
29 September 2020
I am sorry to read that you felt that both the training and kitchen environment were not what we would expect it to be. We do have a structured training programme so am sorry that this was not provided or explained. Please contact us at thevoice@loungers.co to discuss your experience further so we can investigate.
I joined loungers in 2020 and for quite a long time I really enjoyed my job. I had my issues like everyone but they were dealt with swiftly and accordingly. Something changed around COVID time and we re opened it all went downhill. Management lacked in a fair few areas including dealing with staff who were in my opinion rude, arrogant, disrespectful and work ethic was 0. It was a huge shame to watch the morale & standards drop so low and by the end of my time there I was mentally in the weeds & despaired of the workplace (eventhough I was just FOH staff) I took pride in my job and my work ethic but the blatant disrespect of my coworkers and some higher up than myself was too much in the end and it broke me down massively. Laziness, bad attitudes, verbal disrespect was becoming a weekly thing and I wanted no part in that negativity thrown at me anymore. The lounge I worked at needs a change in perspectives, staff & training and then I think it would be a consistently great place to work. It’s such a shame how it ended with myself and it could’ve been avoided if they’d just listen to my views and acted accordingly. I’m now unemployed in a pandemic but I’d rather that than go back there and that’s how much my attitude and love towards the place changed. Also vowed never to work in the hospitality industry again. Be careful.
Pros
Staff food, they can care about well-being of staff
Cons
Lazy work ethic, disrespectful colleagues, poor management, lack of training, ops managers can be awful, overwhelmingly stressful job, too relaxed
As a whole lounges in its self, the company is really good it’s just the dickheads they employe, management they have hired, we had gone through so many people who really doesn’t have a clue what they are doing ( gm, head chef etc) Lower titled staff members forever picking up the slack but never repping the rewards for their hard work heartbreaking , staring and talking about other members of staff behind their backs if you like all that then well Poco is the place for you Head chef cooking raw chicken in a microwave and this is seen as acceptable
Pros
You meet some awesome people in the company
Cons
Nobody ever wants to come help the venue because it is so far away
walk away my friend walk away the lounge is the worst place ever ! the worst place i have ever worked ! I Hate The Lounge !! the worst job ever
Pros
the sound people i work with
Cons
pretentious nonsense! the only reason to take a job at the lounge is if you have no other choice
having only been with them for a few months promised a good work life balance i found this completely opposite of the truth, average working week was well of 60, always contacted on any time that you had away from the buisness, constant whatsapp messages well into the early hours of the morning.no support made to feel like you cant do the job even with well over 18yr experience in hospitailty
Pros
free staff meal thats if you get a break
Cons
long hours no overtime pay
Loungers are a company that care about one thing: cutting costs and overworking staff to maximise profit. Do not be fooled by the company culture that they present pre employment, it is a facade of lies. There is zero consideration toward employee welfare and routinely horrific management. A weekly rota is provided a day or two before the start of the week, to which employees have zero input toward the shifts that they work. Shifts are frequently changed with no notice, to the point at which I have turned up to my shift to be told they do not need me for another two hours. The management also think it is ethically appropriate to allocate staff shifts until 12:30am at night, and back in at 9am the follow morning, on peak shifts during a busy weekend. The staffing levels are also abysmal as they are FIXATED with reducing their labour costs to meet targets set by operations managers - despite turning over hefty amounts. The impact this has on your stress levels, work life balance and mental health is not worth ÂŁ8 an hour. I have never worked for such a greedy, deceitful company. They treat their staff like robots but make up for it with their paper straws, vegan food menu and quirky furniture!
Pros
Paper Straws
Cons
I worked at the cobirizo lounge in newbury, Constaly had my hours cut, sent home for being 2 min late, no breaks in a 7 hour work period , management doest listen and are very rude and up them selves, they dont provide you with no ear protection for when they ask you to unload the glass bottle bin the the bin room which is all closed off, almost made me go deaf ,and left my ears ringing for the rest of my shift. Definetly would not recomend it , its not worth it
Pros
Free food after 6 hours of work if you're lucky
Cons
Long hours no work/life balance
I Worked at Poco Lounge in King’s Lynn for a brief time, when I first started I was promised hours and shifts every week, as weeks went by I found myself with less hours every week until eventually I got none at all. I had to live on scraps, cover shifts people either didn’t want or called in sick for, they even called in people from other lounges to cover in shop instead of giving me a call for work. Members of staff left for lack of hours or weren’t been giving the hours they requested, but even then, they told me they had no hours to give when several members of staff had just left the company, you would have thought there was hours going but supposedly not. They were reluctant to even fully train me or make me feel apart of the team, every time I was on shift I felt awkward and had the anxiety that I was messing up or doing something wrong. The managers made me feel like they didn’t care, and didn’t have the time for me. Even after the pandemic I heard nothing from them, so I considered myself unemployed. To see they’re hiring staff again, really speaks for itself. I have 5+ years of hospitality experience, so there was no reason for them to be reluctant to have anything to do with me. If you’re looking to work in hospitality I would highly recommend looking elsewhere. The managers will try feed you nonsense to get you in the door, and then eventually push you out like you mean nothing.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Everything else
they have a very **** rolls down hill culture, upper management don't seem to agree on what they want and often would be told to do 1 thing and reprimanded for that by another manager - never would the other manager take responsibility it would always be your fault for following instruction. When challenged again it would be angled to be your fault. Received next to no support from the area chef, recruitment was a nightmare because of the poor reputation (A deserving reputation by the way) this company has. They are also well aware of the poor reputation they have, but again training sessions on this subject are framed to be your fault and not the company culture that they have set up. If you want to be harassed multiple times daily by the upper management, this is the job for you, if you want to feel valued and your hard work executing their vision rewarded then go work for literally any other company.
Work life balance is laughable. All the effort is put into you making the place look fun and exciting yet behind the scenes it's just stress and agro. On my days off my phone was constantly ringing or having photos sent over WhatsApp . So even your day off isn't your own. Made me development anxiety &self doubt .
Pros
Customer's
11 August 2020
Loungers work hard to ensure that we strike the right balance in keeping communication open with our teams whilst not impacting your time away from work and understand that whatsapp can be too much, with this in mind we have introduced new communication tech to avoid this. We are sorry to hear that your experience didn't match our usual expectaions. We would be happy to discuss further with you if you felt neccessary, please contact us at thevoice@loungers.co
This company sounds brilliant and they make sure they talk you into it, please don’t believe their lies. The higher management really don’t care about the people below them, they will happily let you struggle through.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Lack of respect from higher management
I joined the lounges in January and the head chef was homophobic and a bully so they transfered me to another lounge, where I was based they had too many sous chefs and they had no direction of where to go, they didn't follow proper protocol with products, correct ppe for the kitchen not being warn and a lack of knowledge on health and safety. Also with the COVID-19 happening I understand us all going on fourlough, but then when things were meant to be going back to normal instead to faising you back to work the chef decided to have them and someone else run the kitchen for a few months before bringing someone else back in, and upon returning to the kitcehn no COVID-19 training was being followed no masks or 1.5m distance kept, the management was shocking and no response from them at all. I would not recommend this place to work!
Cons
No work life balance, poor communication, lack of knowledge, bad management
Started off okay, busy more than every could imagine. New management constantly. Full of Blackmail and hatred towards staff from managers. Toxic Whats app messages. No help, constantly called on days off threatening to give warning for not coming in on a day off
Pros
Meal on Break
Cons
Long Hours, No life, 8 Hours with no break, Blackmail, Unfair working conditions
Overall I enjoyed my time working at loungers, I opened a new site at Mumbles, until my promotion to junior sous chef at zinco lounge and then I transferred to cofio lounge in Carmarthen, when it opened. I enjoyed it because no two day's were the same and I liked being busy, my favourite section in the kitchen was tapas and hot section, and always Strived to motivate the team, especially on a busy service. Only downside was I often worked over my contracted 48 hours, and never got the time back, also when finishing late expected to be back in at 8am.
Pros
Free food on shift. Loungefest .
Cons
No work/life balance .
Sous chef for 2 years, held the kitchen without a head chef, did food orders from home on my days off to help out, wasn't appreciated, underpaid overworked. Ops management don't care about anything but themselves
Pros
Lounge fest
Cons
Useless opps management that just look after themselves
I worked in 5 different Lounges, two on a more permanent basis. My first Lounge will always be 'my Lounge'. Welcoming, friendly team and efficient, relaxed environment. Even at its busiest, a Lounge always remains cool, calm and collected. Management are super personally involved - no sitting in offices while staff run shifts. Lounge teams are like families.
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere to work in, discount
Cons
Working environment can vary depending on Lounge placement
Great company to work for as a student or even as a non student. You learn lots of skills you didn’t think you’d learn. Meet lots of great people from different backgrounds.
  1. Employee reviews