Lush Cosmetics
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

Lush Cosmetics Employee Reviews

Lush is a really fun place to work and is definitely the best job I have ever had. Everyone is very friendly, they hire a diverse range of staff from all different countries and people of all ages, which is really nice. I would recommend working for Lush Cosmetics to anyone.
Pros
See products first hand, the fun of making something, free tea and coffee, rejects
Cons
pressure to keep up with others sometimes
Great place to work if you’re looking for something temporary, very hard to be kept on as a permanent member of staff no matter how above and beyond you go, however it’s an enjoyable place to work and the people you work with really make it feel like family👍🏻
Pros
Bonus pay, paid breaks
Cons
Temporary contract
I felt proud to work at Lush, I learned a huge amount and it's ethics really helped instill an ethical mindset. The company is super inclusive and forward thinking, however I feel as if you have to be a certain type of person to work there, a type of person that I unfortunately am not. As anyone who's visited the stores will know, Lush provides a pretty hard sell and as a sales assistant that's only the half of it. Personally, I had issues with how 'in your face' and forceful the selling strategies were and often felt awkward as we as staff were told "don't take no for an answer" and often had to hang around and reapproach customers who had declined help. Working there if you were having an off day was a nightmare as you had to approach every single customer who entered the store and keep them in conversation for as long as it takes for you to sell them something.
Pros
Learn loads, discount on products
Cons
Targets based on forceful selling strategies
Great workplace atmosphere with opportunities to advance and take in additional learning training Management are supportive and accommodating. Good holiday allowance.
Pros
Bonus scheme, competitive salary for retail, great discount
Cons
Busy seasonal trade
Working at gifts was definitely one of the best choices of my life! Amazing environment!
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
This was the best job I have had and I learnt so much from it. The management genuinely cares about staff and everyone is valued as an individual. Work is fun and individuality, creativity and expressing yourself is a good thing. Daily goals and fun targets make everyday a bit different so motivation came easily. I would definitely recommend to anyone that enjoys face to face customer interactions and an upbeat environment.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Shorter hours generally
As a temporary staff member I didn't expect my experience to last long but I was certainly dissatisfied upon witnessing how easily (and often) they sacked people. Basically anyone who couldn't keep with their unrealistic and arbitrary daily targets was given a dismissal letter and fired on the spot with very short notice. My team, originally made of four people, was reduced to one by the end of my contract. Training was virtually nonexistent, so new hires were left to their destiny since day one. The job itself wasn't hard - you either had to mix powder and press it into molds or extract finished products and pack those into boxes - but the warehouses were crowded and that made hard fetching the equipment (tools, skates, crates and molds). Apparently there wasn't enough material for everyone and the supervisors didn't seem to care. As if it wasn't enough, you had to put up with the obnoxious music blasted at full volume every day; a collection of ten or so tracks repeated over and over. The only enjoyable part were the facilities, equipped with microwaves, free coffee (or tea) machines and table football.
Pros
Easy to land, friendly colleagues, free drinks from the machines, decent wages, some supervisors actually cared.
Cons
Ridiculously low job stability, stressful, poorly managed, overcrowded, terrible music.
Working at Lush gives you a real insight to their products and the best place to familiarise yourself with popular Lush products.The pace was customer dependant and there was always plenty to do and always best to think on your feet and sometimes for yourself without being asked to put stuff out when it's obvious.Team work and initiative is also important.
Pros
Great rate of pay - with prospects of travel for Managers
Just avoid. There is no regional support and the ‘team’ that is there to theoretically provide support have no clue how the stores are run. There is little to no support with aggressive customers. There’s zero progression and too much pressure.
Pros
Some lovely staff
Cons
Run by incompetents
Been working for LUSH for afew years and it has a amazing work environment. The managememt and the team are great. Everyone does really good teamwork.
Pros
Good management and team
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Lush Cosmetics?
Lush is used to being a company that told they were one of the best reviewed workplaces in the country, I dont think anymore. With pay does not matching inflation--only national living wage, they have stopped being competitive or having unique business model.Over years, management has become not talking about important things and less motivating. Any issues aren't told to everyone as random announcements are speak quietly with only closest people being able to hear them. When new people start there is very little teaching and I and others have to fix these mistakes. Before benefits were good and lush was caring by giving good staff sales and rejects. Now big sales have gone, bags have broken bath bombs and rejects take away with no telling. Leadership should have made announcement and organised but no organising leads to bad reaction. They should lead, so we know and we follow. This does not happen. Bonuses are very hard to get.Many changes in company make it hard to get permanent job, but now in january it will seem many permanent jobs become lost . This job in digitil was fun and worked hard with lush being good company to work for. Now just another company.Very little or no parking.
Pros
I have job
Cons
good benefits all gone
If you're good with your hands and don't mind working to targets then it would be suitable for you. This wasn't made clear at the interview process. Pay is decent if you can hack the work.
Pros
Looks good on CV
Cons
Management orientated
Fantastic atmosphere, everyone there is really considerate, a challenging job but in a way that would be beneficial, gained confidence because of it. The company and people are really considerate of mental health and physical health which was extremely beneficial for me and I loved working there.
Pros
Breaks when needed, considerate staff & great atmosphere
Cons
Difficult customers sometimes
I loved working at lush. It's a great place to work where you are never made to feel bad about making mistakes or not knowing what to do. Management take a very supportive and positive approach to feedback- tons of praise when you do something good and when you make a mistake they explain that its okay but talk you through what you could do better next time. I never felt patronised or like I was being told off. I've heard the management in some stores are better than others, which is to be expected as all managers have their own personalities and styles of managing that they bring to stores. I was lucky to have amazing management at my store. Work here if you're passionate about beautiful products and beautiful souls!
Pros
50% discount and tons of other benefits, great team culture!
Cons
Longer shifts aren't usually available for temp/part-time staff. 4 Hour shifts is standard.
Good place to work specially in Christmas season when you can do some overtime and sometimes good bonuses, maybe will be better rate pay for overtime in future..in rest all good.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
No extra pay for overtime rate.
I worked in ballistics for just over a month whilst in furlough and can honestly say it is one of the best jobs I've had! I was a bit apprehensive to take on thia role at first as it's something I've never done before. Don't get me wrong, it's hard work but you have a lot of support and everyone is super helpful. Yes, there are targets to hit but they are achievable. I was even able to make bonus a few times when I got my head down and applied myself. One of the things my friends question me on about the role is how I cope with the smell? Well, it's not bad at all as you are in a big ventilated factory so the smell of the soaps isn't as overpowering as some people think when they enter Lush retail shops. In fact, your clothes and boots will smell great all the time (fyi they supply ppe). The only thing I would say is to make sure to keep your work clothes separate from all your other clothes, especially if you work in packing as glitter spreads easily; if you're not careful you'll find it on your bed, car and even cat :) I recommend to change clothes at work if you are ever on glitter duty! I thoroughly recommend working at Lush to anyone. If the idea making great products from scratch with fresh ingredients, 50% staff discount and working with great people appeals to you, then you should definitely apply!
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
No complaints :)
Would not reccommend this work place. You get forced to approach customers after you have already spoke to them using a Traffic Light system.. let's be honest it itritates customers. They become annoyed because its almost like your constantly checking up on them.
Pros
Get to try products, few nice staff.
Cons
Forced to approach customers numerous times.-Gossiping-some LAZY staff
Working at Lush is fantastic if you have a genuine interest in ethical beauty, there is a lot to learn otherwise. Requires you to be confident approaching customers and getting hands-on (outside Covid) with demonstrations. However most people (outside management) are on 12 hours contracts working 4 hours shifts with little opportunity to grow or develop, it's probably more suited to somebody who wants a job in addition to education or something else however the opportunity to make a career with them is limited.
Pros
50% staff discount, good training programme, fun
Cons
small contracts, little opportunity to grow/develop, lots to learn at first
has to be the best place I've worked, everyone was very encouraging and helped each other succeed. Everyday was something new and exciting with both team and individual goals and targets to meet which kept each day new and refreshing and helped us in achieving the goals for the store each day.
Lush are not the ethical brand that they claim to be - yes, the don't test on animals, but they treat their staff terribly. Management on the whole do not care about the welfare of their staff, and will overwork you to the point of exhaustion by putting profit over people. Everything seems shiny and exciting at the start, until you see the real face of the company.
Pros
discount
Cons
pressure from management, handled furlough very poorly
This company is excellent to work for. In terms of their ethics, you know you are doing good... or at least trying. It's an extremely inclusive work place. Management always did their best to give days off/holiday that was requested.My only issues were inability to progress after a long time of working there. I also find the sales methods a bit aggressive and struggled with constant feedback. Management can be a bit cliquey.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
limited progression in some stores
  1. Employee reviews